Adam Hughes Reveals Batgirl #2 Cover

Posted by G-Man (30603 posts) - - Show Bio

It feels like we've been looking at the same images for the DC's new 52 titles for a while. All we've had are the covers to the first issues. Soon we should start seeing the solicits to October's batch of #2s. Last night Adam Hughes revealed (via Twitter) the cover to Batgirl #2.

In Adam's words, "Read this comic cos Batgirl's way cuter than Batman!"

What I find interesting is the way Barbara Gordon is positioned. It almost looks like she still does not have the use of her legs. She's propping herself up trying to get into a defensive position against a mysterious gun-totting adversary.

Whatever the case is, the cover looks pretty dang good. What do you think?

Staff
#1 Posted by Fhiz (472 posts) - - Show Bio

Cover is fantastic, as usual for AH! 

There are also a lot of "she looks younger!" comments flying around... I'm throwing that up to AH's style.

#2 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty good!
#3 Posted by red_rover (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is she fighting The Hood?

#4 Posted by Ultimate_MiracleMan (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is interesting, may just pick it up, even if it doesn't have Steph as the protagonist or Miller as the writer

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Surely they wouldn't retell the Batgirl to Oracle story just to induct another new Batgirl straight away?? 

But she sure does look uber pretty :}

#6 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing. 

#7 Posted by TheSheepHerder (11958 posts) - - Show Bio

As usual, spectacular work from AH!

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (6712 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice! But still not on board.
#9 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

She has a certain innocence to her

#10 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Babs in this cover look like a teenager? I'm still not convinced to buy it, I may just scan over the first issue see how she walks and thats that. I just don't like the idea of Babs being Batgirl again, walking doesn't bother me with a tech suit but her being Batgirl seems a cry for help on wanting to be a teenager again. 

As some don't understand it's not her walking that bothers alot of people (some it does) It's just her being Batgirl when she is a 26 year  old woman. Plus she retired being Batgirl before she was shot in the spine by Joker so it makes no sense why she is Batgirl here.

#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92411 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it. Nice call on the positioning of the les, I thought the same thing.

#12 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Adam Hughes; that's all you need to know it's awesome!

#13 Posted by VanAce (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty cool cover.

#14 Posted by ThomasElliot (360 posts) - - Show Bio

So wait... have most people finally caught up to the fact that a 'relaunch' is NOT a 'reboot'?  We're still seeing the handicapped/capable Barbara... maybe she gets the use of her legs back somehow... but it seems more and more that retconning 'Killing Joke' is NOT going to happen. 

I still say the "Reboot Rage' was instigated by comic blogs who completely misunderstood what DC is doing.

#15 Posted by Outside_85 (8072 posts) - - Show Bio

What does the cover tell us? That the weather in Gotham is still the worst? That Barbara isn't very good at playing hide and seek? Or that we have a gun wielding lighthouse on the loose? :)

#16 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3447 posts) - - Show Bio

Great looking poster. It looks as if she has enough control over her legs to move them into a defensive posture. It doesn't look as if they are lying there limp to me. 

Not sure if the 'Batgirl' title works for her anymore, either. I would rather have her continue with the Oracle identity.

#17 Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw (1711 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks awesome ! I really really love Adam Hughes art !!! Although Barbara looks a liiiitllebit too young on this one O.o Still really excited for this series :D

#18 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio

It's gorgeous!

#19 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio

"Read this comic cos Batgirl's way cuter than Batman!"

Adam Hughes FAIL.

#20 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME!

#21 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Man can draw some purrty pictures.

#22 Posted by UnosInfinitos (148 posts) - - Show Bio

How the hell is Barbara cuter than Batman?
I call bull

#23 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18816 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing cover :]

#24 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, you guys really like this cover?  She pretty much looks like a little girl victim here.  There is almost something perverse about it.   She is hiding in a position that looks like some teenager hiding from a slasher in a teen horror movie.  Is that a batarang?-she is holding it like she doesn't know how to use it.  IMO she looks like some Otaku/Hentai fantasy girl waiting to be dominated.   

This is the cover for a heroine worthy of wearing the Bat costume?  It was on my pull list - not now. 
#25 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it. AH can draw some incredible art. I wonder who that gunslinger is.

#26 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

At first I was going to say her legs, but then I remembered she wore yellow boots.

#27 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

3D!

#28 Posted by Mr_Faraday (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@digimod
Youve got a messed up mind man, you might want to get that checked out.
#29 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr_faraday said: @digimod: Youve got a messed up mind man, you might want to get that checked out. 

Why?  For pointing out that Adam Hughes art is exploitive and not liking it?  He is a pinup artist that throws superhero costumes on his subjects.  9 out of 10 times it's totally out of context and character.  If Barbara Gordon was a real person what do you thnk she would have to say about being represented like that?
#30 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fhiz said:
Cover is fantastic, as usual for AH!  There are also a lot of "she looks younger!" comments flying around... I'm throwing that up to AH's style.
I noticed those comments too. I just suggested that AH's style gives a more nostalgic look to Babs every time. So she always looks young.
#31 Posted by Darkmount1 (1269 posts) - - Show Bio

It just hit me--this is the first 2nd issue of a series from DC's new 52 to make its debut, and the #1's aren't even out yet!
#32 Posted by fodigg (6142 posts) - - Show Bio
@digimod said:
@mr_faraday said: @digimod: Youve got a messed up mind man, you might want to get that checked out. 

Why?  For pointing out that Adam Hughes art is exploitive and not liking it?  He is a pinup artist that throws superhero costumes on his subjects.  9 out of 10 times it's totally out of context and character.  If Barbara Gordon was a real person what do you thnk she would have to say about being represented like that?
Exploitative? What's wrong with pinup art? There's some very good pinup art out there. As for being "threatened," it's common in superhero covers to show the hero in peril.

However, I agree with you on this being rather out of character. I think it's a pretty picture, but I'd have preferred her strong in the face of danger, not this.
#33 Posted by PowerHerc (81458 posts) - - Show Bio

The man is a master of the female form.

#34 Posted by Cervantes (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Not my favorite of his covers, but if her legs aren't fully working, it makes a bit more sense why she seems to be worried. Does anyone know why she has a bright white cape liner? It's like if GL had a cape, to match his gloves... don't get it.  

I know people are taking this very seriously, and they should. But on the lighter side, there are all kinds of crazy things that could happen now that she's back in Bat. Hopefully nothing as crazy as this:  
Batwoman, Inc.! 
...but after Batman, Inc., who can tell?
#35 Posted by Labyrinth (162 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it. 
A lot.

#36 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Simply incredible.

#37 Posted by RareCheshire (190 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think Batman is much cuter, but I'll read anyways!

#38 Posted by OliverGuido (22 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the few "Relaunch/Rebirth/Re re re things that I'm looking forward to. I hope she finally gets to show what made her the best batgirl and introduce the character to a new generation. Plus that cover is beautiful. 

#39 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Gorgeous.

#40 Posted by okayla (102 posts) - - Show Bio

The cover looks nice but I'd expect nothing less from Hughes. 

She looks incredibly young here, and no amount of good art can convince me this is a good idea.

#41 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, is it me or does it seem like Babs had about 10-12 years of youth restored to her from this picture? Makes me concerned just what is going on once again with the whole reboot.

#42 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

The legs look awkward because of the colour scheme.

Otherwise, awesome cover. I am so psyched for the relaunch.

#43 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox-kitty said:

Surely they wouldn't retell the Batgirl to Oracle story just to induct another new Batgirl straight away??

I had not thought of that before! First arc: How she becomes Oracle...

I kind of like that idea, that way Babs can still be Oracle on this Revamp!

#44 Posted by huser (97 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThomasElliot said:
So wait... have most people finally caught up to the fact that a 'relaunch' is NOT a 'reboot'?  We're still seeing the handicapped/capable Barbara... maybe she gets the use of her legs back somehow... but it seems more and more that retconning 'Killing Joke' is NOT going to happen.  I still say the "Reboot Rage' was instigated by comic blogs who completely misunderstood what DC is doing.
For me, given the current size and breadth of the Batfamily, another Batgirl is a marginal gain. Barbara traipsing around rather than being Oracle is a far bigger loss to the super community at large than the gain of a middling capable supporting character. She doesn't need to stay crippled (though I like it as a take), but she's in her late 20's, being Batgirl is frankly weird.
#45 Posted by yo_yo_fun (640 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the way her feet are positioned looks odd. It looks like she can use her legs but then again she does look like she's propping herself up using her arms... I don't know, I'm really interested on how they are going to do that.
And she really does look young, I've thought that since they came out w/ the cover of #1 so that's confusing too.
But overall, it looks great! I can't wait to read it! :)

#46 Posted by dcwomenkickingass (2 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fhiz: Barbara looking younger is not because of "his style." It's direction from DC. Hughes' wife commented about it here.
#47 Posted by Captain Majestic (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I think her legs look like she is hiding and ready to pop up.   STill loving that Barbara Gordon is coming back to be Bat Girl

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.