Follow

Barack Obama

Character » Barack Obama appears in 434 issues.

Forty-Fourth President of the United States, Barack Hussein Obama II is the first Biracial President and is a comic book character.

Companies milking off of him?

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By SilverZeo

Okay, I am just sick and tried of Marvel and Image trying to suck on Obama's popularity to make a name for themselves.

Spider-Man's issue is being re-printed for the fith time and Marvel is not ashamed to say it. Of course they don't bring up about the only reason why the issue is so popular is not the stories featured, not the art work, not even the fact that's SPIDER-MAN, but simply the fact that OBAMA's face is on the variant cover and that's  why the thing is selling!

I know Image started this with it's Svaage Dragon Cover, but that was back when the race was undecied and any of the  other candiates could ahve the same impact on the cover. It's poetic that they're going to have Dragon teaming up with him, but I still think it would be considerable more orginal to have some of the losers of th eelection, like Clinton, McCain, or Plain to help some heroes. And you what else, they're going to have Obama in Youngblood too. Is Image so desperate to make a market by having riding on the newly elected president's popularity before he even does anything in office?

And for the record, I'm not flaming Obama, I'm just saying the companies are mooching off of him and it's relay starting to show.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Nighthunter

well...Barack Obama is the new black after all ;P

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Yea making money making comics is bad harrumph. How dare they. Next thing you know they'll have crossovers with lots of popular characters for no good reason other than to sell more comic books. I share your indignitation. 

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By SilverZeo
    Shatterstar said:
    "Yea making money making comics is bad harrumph. How dare they. Next thing you know they'll have crossovers with lots of popular characters for no good reason other than to sell more comic books. I share your indignitation. "
    It's the next bad thing after making a bad re-make of a GREAT movie and a bad adaption of a cartoon/comic in real life.
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Martian

I don't think Marvel is making a name for themselves off of Obama, they kinda already have the name. As for his appearances, Obama has appeared in two issues that I can think. One was Amazing Spider-Man the other was Thunderbolts. The Thunderbolts issue doesn't even mention the fact he is in it, anywhere. They never even promoted it. The Spider-Man issue is popular, because Obama is in it. But its not like he keeps reappearing in issues, they are just reprinting the same issue cause its selling. Thats just good business not trying to make a name for themselves. Same goes for image comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.