Follow

Barack Obama

Character » Barack Obama appears in 435 issues.

Forty-Fourth President of the United States, Barack Hussein Obama II is the first Biracial President and is a comic book character.

A justifiable reason for Obama to appear in a comic book?

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Decept-O

I "swiped" this from another site, (CBR) but hey, it's free publicity for Image Comics, and I don't work for CV, so sue me....

Does this following tidbit give you reason to forget all the past Pres. Obama appearances in comics?  It sounds for once he has an actual justifiable reason to appear. 

However, do you think the writer should have created a fictional President for this story or did he just use Pres. Obama because of the "race" of the hero and to sell the book? 

Personally, I am digging the art.  It will be on the flipside of Youngblood #9.  If you want to see Obama, scroll all the way down.

No Caption Provided

I like the costume, and the action looks good. 
    No Caption Provided

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

I saw this.  It's a lovely cover, but the internal art looks like 90's steroid trash.  And I fail to see how the race of a blood thirsty character like Die-Hard (now known as Free Agent) makes Obama's appearance any more justifiable as in Savage Dragon or Spider-Man.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Decept-O
    xerox_kitty said:
    I saw this.  It's a lovely cover, but the internal art looks like 90's steroid trash.  And I fail to ... [more]

That is what I am questioning.  Whether or not Free Agent's race is just an excuse for Image to put Obama on the cover and in the book to sell the comic.  I haven't seen the interior art, just this bit that was posted.   Maybe if I saw the actual book I'd think differently. 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

There's another page from CBR, where at the bottom of the page Obama & Free Agent are drawn oen panel under the other.  The way it is done is blatantly to make it look like they're the same person.  Whether it is to insinuate Free Agent is related to Obama, I don't know.. but it's bloody awful. 

Obama's from such a mixed background.  A white mother & an African father.  I can't see how his genetics could posibly make him look like Free Agent.  And that first panel, with Free Agent plunging a knife threw a random, generic Saudi is grotesque.  Personally... I'm amazed, but in a bad way.  I wonder whether the White House would ever intervene with these dreadful comic appearances, because the political message appears to be the opposite of what they're trying to achieve.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Decept-O

@xerox-kitty:  I will have to go back and check it out, I take your word for it, but I want to see.  I imported just a portion of the art for space's sake on the blog.

I'll have to look and see if the character was a random Saudi or an actual bad guy, or can we even tell without buying the book?  Regardless, now I'm curious.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Decept-O

@xerox-kitty:  I didn't see any random Saudi, looked like one of the bad guys to me.  However, it WAS hard to tell who was who concerning the action sequence, what was happening.  Also, I do agree that the whole Obama/Free Agent "morph" WAS a blatant attempt to insinuate they are the same person.  I think it was just an attempt to make Obama appear that he is a "hero". 

Thanks for pointing these out.   Oh, and there is STILL ANOTHER OBAMA APPEARANCE IN another Image book!  This is the last time I even post any info about Obama. *ugh*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.