Follow

Banshee

Character » Banshee appears in 2399 issues.

Banshee was a mutant with a sonic scream. Born in Ireland, he pursued a career in Interpol, the X-Men, Generation X as Co-Headmaster, and founded X-Corp. He was the father of Theresa Cassidy as well as Black Tom Cassidy's cousin. He has since become bonded to the Spirit of Variance.

X-Men: First Class Character Profile: Banshee

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Out of all the mutants set to appear in FIRST CLASS, Banshee looks he’s been changed the most. “How so?” you ask. Isn’t he still a ginger Irishman who can scream at outrageously high decibels and fly at super-sonic speeds?

Well, you all knew he started off as a foe of the X-Men, right?

No Caption Provided

The adventurer otherwise known as Sean Cassidy debuted in X-MEN #28 as an adult super-villain who battled the still-teenage first class during their feud with the criminal outfit, Factor Three. Don’t count that against him, though. He was using his sonic scream to knock up jewelry stores because Factor Three’s Ogre had slapped a mind-controlling headband on him. Once the “strangest superheroes of them all” broke that headband, he more-or-less stopped what he was doing, apologized and then went on his merry way.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Years later, Banshee returned as a member of the famous all-new, all-different X-Men line-up that also brought the likes of Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler and Wolverine into the fold. He’d leave the team soon after and return every now and then before taking his most significant role as headmaster of Generation X, the third class of Xavier Institute students. Oddly enough, it was this era that would lead to Banshee's first portrayal in a live-action show. He was played by Jeremy Ratchford in the ’96 made-for-TV GENERATION X movie.

Banshee might’ve been the densest collection of Irish stereotypes in his earliest incarnation. His codename evoked a (female) ghost of Celtic folklore, he was the lord of a magic, shoreline castle and he had a penchant for pipes, bushy red muttonchops and the color green. All he was lacking was a derby hat, a pot of gold and a shillelagh (which would even be the weapon of choice for his evil cousin, Black Tom Cassidy.) Those… national qualities have been toned steadily over the years until now we’ve got this movie’s Banshee, an awkward American teen who isn’t too smooth with girls.

Banshee’s profile teaser shows him getting a lot of one-on-one instruction with Professor X regarding the limits of his power. While Havok's major hurdle involves control, Banshee’s seems to be about him not utilizing his sonic scream to its fullest potential. In the clip, we see Xavier telling the young lad that his mutated larynx is a muscle like any other; something that can grow stronger with purposeful exercise. His training eventually allows him to adjust his scream to specific resonant frequencies and then also create enough blow-back into his manta-ray like cape that he can float and fly at super sonic speeds. Interestingly, this Banshee also seems to be taking advantage of the greater potency of sound through liquid, as we him casually spook fish in aquarium tank and then later attack a submarine underwater.

No Caption Provided

Banshee’s estranged daughter, Siryn, has actually appeared in these movies already. You might remember her cameo in X2. She’s the young girl who shrieks loud enough to get everybody in Xavier’s mansion covering their ears when Stryker’s commandos’ invasion wakes her in the night. While the timeline easily works out for this young man to eventually be that young girl’s father, I don’t expect any references to a possible connection.

Banshee has a fairly convoluted backstory that includes time spent as an Interpol agent and a NYPD cop that will (wisely) not be alluded to. Interestingly enough, he’s also had a long on-and-off romance with Moira MacTaggert in the comics and I suspect that’s another relationship that (wisely) won’t be alluded to. Considering how she’s one his adult supervisors and is also set up as a love interest for Xavier, anything beyond harmless flirting will get very weird.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer ofHYBRID BASTARDS!&UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazonhere&here. Follow him on Twitter:@tompinchuk

Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
    marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

i bet azazel and mistyque will have a scene together

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bestostero

I did not know that he was originally an enemy...but it was mind control so meh lol 

Definitely remember the scene with Siryn screaming during the raid on the mansion.

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Out_of_Space

This movie will suck badly. Why would they need to screw a good idea for a movie in the future maybe with othe guy making it.
    SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SleepyDrug

Each X-Men movie is shifted farther from any resemblence to canon.  This movie will be good if you want to watch characters with nothing in common to the originals except names and powers. 

If you want to see a movie that respects the original stories and characters....go see Thor.
    Zaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 67

#5  Edited By Zaber

cool. 

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By IrishX

Banshee is awesome and seeing him do his thing is one of the most exciting aspects of this movie.

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dorsk188
    @SleepyDrug said:
    Each X-Men movie is shifted farther from any resemblence to canon.  This movie will be good if you want to watch characters with nothing in common to the originals except names and powers.  If you want to see a movie that respects the original stories and characters....go see Thor.
    Except for astrophysicist Jane Foster and clearly extraterrestrial (rather than divine or otherdimensional) asgardians.  Every adaptation makes changes. 

First Class, unfortunately, carries the heritage of Singer's continuity.  While it was an interesting take on the mythology, I'm eager for them to reboot (hopefully through / or in conjunction with the Marvel studio).  Although, if Marvel / Disney get's back control of the franchise, they have no incentive to crank out movies every three to five years to keep the rights.  While most of the non-Marvel Studios stuff is crap, I appreciate it keeping the comics in the wider consciousness.
    jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jubilee042

now is not the time to complain about the film but to watch and then complaain about any problems which you hopefully won't have

SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SleepyDrug

@dorsk188 said:
    Except for astrophysicist Jane Foster and clearly extraterrestrial (rather than divine or otherdimensional) asgardians.  Every adaptation makes changes. 

First Class, unfortunately, carries the heritage of Singer's continuity.  While it was an interesting take on the mythology, I'm eager for them to reboot (hopefully through / or in conjunction with the Marvel studio).  Although, if Marvel / Disney get's back control of the franchise, they have no incentive to crank out movies every three to five years to keep the rights.  While most of the non-Marvel Studios stuff is crap, I appreciate it keeping the comics in the wider consciousness.  

This is why I said respects.  Jane's role in Thor has always been love interest.  She was also always a very intelligent woman; shifting from nurse to astro-physicist is fairly minor.  The Asgardians were extra-dimensional; Earth was clearly described as being inaccessable without a dimensional portal, like Bifrost, several times. 

But all of the characters relations were intact, their powers were as expected.  There were no major changes.  Singer's X-Men continuity scrambles ages, relationships, status, histories, and more.   
    If you are happy watching the film with all of these changes, then you will enjoy it.  I'll probably wait for it to play on HBO.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cattlebattle
    @SleepyDrug said:
    Each X-Men movie is shifted farther from any resemblence to canon.  This movie will be good if you want to watch characters with nothing in common to the originals except names and powers.  If you want to see a movie that respects the original stories and characters....go see Thor.
    Yes because god knows The X-Men never battled the Hellfire Club...had Havok, Banshee and others as it's members. Founded By Prof. X and pretty much a load of other things.

Wow these movies have nothing to do with the X-Men, who would of thought.

Ahh yes and Thor was so respectful to the Original story they made a joke of the Donald Blake identity.

This post is silly
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @Out_of_Space said:
    This movie will suck badly. Why would they need to screw a good idea for a movie in the future maybe with othe guy making it.
    It has a very high majority of good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes so I have high hopes.
    ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ironshadow

Banshee had a cameo in X0 Wolverine, he was in a cage and had tape over his mouth.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I'll watch it and then I'll complain to anyone that will listen about how bad it was.

SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SleepyDrug
    @cattlebattle said:
    @SleepyDrug said:
    Yes because god knows The X-Men never battled the Hellfire Club...had Havok, Banshee and others as it's members. Founded By Prof. X and pretty much a load of other things.

Ahh yes and Thor was so respectful to the Original story they made a joke of the Donald Blake identity.  This post is silly

The X-Men movie uses little more than surface details in it.  Or can you show me the comic, where Havok (Cyclop's older brother), Banshee, Beast, Mystique, and Emma Frost were all active as heroes in the 60's?  Or the comic where Magneto and Xavier recruited and trained a team together? Or the one where the Hellfire Club includes Riptide?  The entire point of many of these recent character reviews for the X-Men: First Class movie is how different from the originals they are...or did I mis-read the article?

Thor is much more respectful to the original story by comparision.  The original Thor story is that Thor is stripped of his powers for being arrogant, and sent to Earth to learn humility.  If you ignore the Stone Men from Saturn and the mortal Executioner, Loki was Thor's first villain.  Loki has always sought to destroy Thor and claim power in Asgard.  The Destroyer armor was always a tool for Odin or Loki or whoever else obtained control.  The Warrior's Three and Sif always appear as Thor's main allies from Asgard.  Jane Foster was always the love interest in early Thor stories.  The Odin-Sleep was a constant issue in Thor.  Yes, they made a in-joke of Don Blake since they couldn't fit it in otherwise.   
    misternegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By misternegative

Banshee seems to have a HUGE amount of character development in First Class. Which is great, It's nice to see some B/C/D list mutants get fleshed out, even if it doesn't make sense in comic canon; (I always look at the films as a separate universe anyway.) 
    It just a shame he dosen't have the Irish Accent, but i can live without it.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle
    @SleepyDrug said:
    @cattlebattle said:
    @SleepyDrug said:

Ahh yes and Thor was so respectful to the Original story they made a joke of the Donald Blake identity.  This post is silly
    The X-Men movie uses little more than surface details in it.  Or can you show me the comic, where Havok (Cyclop's older brother), Banshee, Beast, Mystique, and Emma Frost were all active as heroes in the 60's?  Or the comic where Magneto and Xavier recruited and trained a team together? Or the one where the Hellfire Club includes Riptide?  The entire point of many of these recent character reviews for the X-Men: First Class movie is how different from the originals they are...or did I mis-read the article? Thor is much more respectful to the original story by comparision.  The original Thor story is that Thor is stripped of his powers for being arrogant, and sent to Earth to learn humility.  If you ignore the Stone Men from Saturn and the mortal Executioner, Loki was Thor's first villain.  Loki has always sought to destroy Thor and claim power in Asgard.  The Destroyer armor was always a tool for Odin or Loki or whoever else obtained control.  The Warrior's Three and Sif always appear as Thor's main allies from Asgard.  Jane Foster was always the love interest in early Thor stories.  The Odin-Sleep was a constant issue in Thor.  Yes, they made a in-joke of Don Blake since they couldn't fit it in otherwise.   
    If you read the comics most of these characters were around 60's / 70's and were active heroes as some of them had been heroes (Banshee) for a while. As for Riptide being in the Hellfire Club..so what?? In the Batman movies Ra's Al Ghul wasn't Middle Eastern and Scarecrow wasn't his first "super-villain" stuff like this is minor. As For Magneto and Professor recruiting a team together I don't think "they" recruit it, I'm pretty sure Charles does all the locating. Magneto is just along for the ride (not sure as I have not seen it yet)
    bodine1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bodine1231

I had that X-men 28,traded it at a comic convention years ago for 2 boxes of Magic the Gathering Revised Boosters,lol.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Banshee is one of those dudes whose voice sounds like a little girl..... on Caffine!
    Avatar image for hrdwrkngxsoldier
    hrdwrkngXsoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

#19  Edited By hrdwrkngXsoldier

@ Bodine 

You actually made out in that deal if you still have the boxes sealed.  :)
    tjx_penn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By tjx_penn
    @SleepyDrug: agreed, i think that they should have just done the real first class team (iceman, cyclops etc.) or xaviers deadly genesis team (vulcan, darwin, etc.) pssh Hollywood. im still down to see it though.
    Avatar image for ricardorubio1974
    ricardorubio1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ricardorubio1974

This movie seems better and better despite the cast selection, it will be about concepts more than anything.

Excelsior :)

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By sa5m

Banshee is cool I am glad we get to see him =)

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eyz

For quite some time...I didn't even knew Banshee was going to be in this movie (until a ComicVine update last week I think).
    Nice!

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24  Edited By SC  Moderator

Banshee! The original badass gangster y'all recognize and respect! Cannaot wait to see the moviee!!!!!!!!

Newport1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Newport1991

I hope this doesnt turn out to be power ranger x-men sigh

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mbecks14
    @marvelunivers said:
    i bet azazel and mistyque will have a scene together
    Wow! Really?! That's so intuitive! You should solve murders or something!
    Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Silver Knight75

I was hoping for him to have an Irish accent

Avatar image for thestepfordcuckoos
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Silver Knight75: I don't think he does and from what I'm reading he was Americanized for the film, even though he is Irish in the comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.