What's New with Bane? (Besides TDKR)

#1 Posted by Grubich (369 posts) - - Show Bio

So........ anyone got any ideas for a new Batman vs Bane arc? Prison riot? No we've done that, put the illusion of being related to Bruce? Been there done that. Give him a son and make him a father? I don't know, what say you Bane fans? Hey, how 'bout you DC? Got any ideas? 

#2 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane is to Batman what Venom is to Spider-man,sorry but he cant work properly as a Batvillain for too long,he's too multidimensional for that.

#3 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

Bane is to Batman what Venom is to Spider-man.

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION FOR SUCH A CLAIM!

Pretty please. <3
#4 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Bane is to Batman what Venom is to Spider-man.

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION FOR SUCH A CLAIM! Pretty please. <3

Eh,when they turned Venom in to a villain(Gargan) he sucked.But when they wen't with the anti-hero angle he was awesome again and even has his own ongoing.

Eddie Brock(anti-hero mostly and a villain sparingly) had 20 minis.

#5 Posted by Saren (26016 posts) - - Show Bio

Would it be fair to say Hush is to Batman what Green Goblin is to Spidey? Seeing as they both killed/attempted to kill the hero's love....I don't know where I'm going with this...

#6 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss him removed from Batman's world, a lot. Okay I probably just miss Secret Six, but still his character direction in that. They were finally really expanding on his character in strides.

So what I want to see is to bring him to somewhere around that point where he was at before Secret Six ended and move outward from their. New surprising adventures for his character that fit his motif and challenge him to show the reader more and more about his character, no real specifics needed. That was by far the most interesting I had seen him. Just by the fact that he was successful in such a manner, proves that they could use him like this again and it would work as well. Not that I don't like him as Batman's foe either, far from that. But, been there done that enough to get my fill. Really entropy_aegis here does make a logical and already sold point to me.

#7 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

South American division leader of Batman Inc.

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Would it be fair to say Hush is to Batman what Green Goblin is to Spidey? Seeing as they both killed/attempted to kill the hero's love....I don't know where I'm going with this...

I thought that was Joker?

#9 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
As long as the Joker didn't impregnate Batman's love before hand, and raised the kids to kill Bats then no. :P
#10 Posted by Megapants (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingofMadCows said:

I could actually see something like that, or at least something relatively similar to that kind of idea. As much as I love Gail Simone for actually adhering to Bane's personality and adding new layers to his character development, she also inexplicably reverted Bane's relationship with Batman to one of hostility, after the characters had gone through so much over the years and had grown a mutual respect for one another and left on relatively good terms after the whole "are they half-brothers?" storyarc.

And then it's suddenly implied that Bane hates Batman again when he appears in Secret Six with no real explanation for why, although he still respects Bruce immensely.

Whether they ever explain that deviation from his ongoing character arc or not (assuming it even happened in the new 52), it would be nice to return Bane to a place of mutual understanding and respect between him and Batman. And getting involved in Batman Inc. could be a way to accomplish that. On the other hand, I could also see Bane declining the position, not wanting to rely on Batman's reputation to get things done or having to work under a company banner.

I could see it going either way, honestly, depending on how a writer handled it.

Another story idea would be to get Bane involved with Ra's Al Ghul again. There's endless potential in globetrotting James Bond-esque stories of a morally gray hero (or however you want to classify Bane) versus a terrorist organization. And considering their history and Bane's old relationship with Talia, there's lots of opportunity to have epic fun and drama. A friend of mine even thought about the possible story twist that Bane might be Damian Wayne's father (it'd be an understandably controversial idea if used, but it would certainly be interesting).

#11 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@Megapants said:

@KingofMadCows said:

I could actually see something like that, or at least something relatively similar to that kind of idea. As much as I love Gail Simone for actually adhering to Bane's personality and adding new layers to his character development, she also inexplicably reverted Bane's relationship with Batman to one of hostility, after the characters had gone through so much over the years and had grown a mutual respect for one another and left on relatively good terms after the whole "are they half-brothers?" storyarc.

And then it's suddenly implied that Bane hates Batman again when he appears in Secret Six with no real explanation for why, although he still respects Bruce immensely.

Whether they ever explain that deviation from his ongoing character arc or not (assuming it even happened in the new 52), it would be nice to return Bane to a place of mutual understanding and respect between him and Batman. And getting involved in Batman Inc. could be a way to accomplish that. On the other hand, I could also see Bane declining the position, not wanting to rely on Batman's reputation to get things done or having to work under a company banner.

I could see it going either way, honestly, depending on how a writer handled it.

Another story idea would be to get Bane involved with Ra's Al Ghul again. There's endless potential in globetrotting James Bond-esque stories of a morally gray hero (or however you want to classify Bane) versus a terrorist organization. And considering their history and Bane's old relationship with Talia, there's lots of opportunity to have epic fun and drama. A friend of mine even thought about the possible story twist that Bane might be Damian Wayne's father (it'd be an understandably controversial idea if used, but it would certainly be interesting).

I agree with everything except Bane being Damian's father,it's as silly as Jason being Damian's father.Bane needs to meet up with Ra's again.

#12 Edited by Megapants (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Megapants said:

@KingofMadCows said:

I agree with everything except Bane being Damian's father,it's as silly as Jason being Damian's father.Bane needs to meet up with Ra's again.

I think it could have potential if you got a skilled writer to handle it. The seeds for a story like that are already planted, since it draws on continuity instead of randomly coming out of nowhere (like how Morrison drew on decades old continuity to bring in Damian in the first place). Get some good creative talent behind it and I could see it possibly being a fun story that could really touch Damian, Bruce, and Bane. Of course, it would understandably be controversial, and there would be a high degree of danger in royally screwing up the story and all of the characters involved.

Now, I really don't even know if I would actually agree with that kind of direction for the characters, or how I'd feel about Bane being a father, but I can definitely recognize that the potential for the story is there and could be dramatic and taken seriously (just like when they revealed Bruce was a father).

Still, I would at least like to see Damian and Bane meet, since (much like Ra's and Bane talking with one another) I think that their personalities would play off of each other very well. They're similar enough that you can see where they'd get along until, because both of them are so forceful and domineering, they'd probably grow antagonistic after a while. And then there's the inherent humor in seeing a 6 footplus man debating philosophy/tactics/culture with a 10 year old boy.

#13 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@Megapants said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Megapants said:

@KingofMadCows said:

I think it could have potential if you got a skilled writer to handle it. The seeds for a story like that are already planted, since it draws on continuity instead of randomly coming out of nowhere (like how Morrison drew on decades old continuity to bring in Damian in the first place). Get some good creative talent behind it and I could see it possibly being a fun story that could really touch Damian, Bruce, and Bane. Of course, it would understandably be controversial, and there would be a high degree of danger in royally screwing up the story and all of the characters involved.

Now, I really don't even know if I would actually agree with that kind of direction for the characters, or how I'd feel about Bane being a father, but I can definitely recognize that the potential for the story is there and could be dramatic and taken seriously (just like when they revealed Bruce was a father).

Still, I would at least like to see Damian and Bane meet, since (much like Ra's and Bane talking with one another) I think that their personalities would play off of each other very well. They're similar enough that you can see where they'd get along until, because both of them are so forceful and domineering, they'd probably grow antagonistic after a while. And then there's the inherent humor in seeing a 6 footplus man debating philosophy/tactics/culture with a 10 year old boy.

Well atleast I can count on Bane to not say"how's your mom"when he meets Damian LOL.

#14 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

If they follow the old continuity and make Bane good then he should work for Batman Inc. If they make him grey, he should work for Ra's al Ghul. I hope they don't make him evil again but if they do then he should have his own criminal organization.

#15 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

As long as the Joker didn't impregnate Batman's love before hand, and raised the kids to kill Bats then no. :P

Just thinking about that makes me cringe.

#16 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingofMadCows said:

If they follow the old continuity and make Bane good then he should work for Batman Inc. If they make him grey, he should work for Ra's al Ghul. I hope they don't make him evil again but if they do then he should have his own criminal organization.

Yeah he should rule Santa Prisca.

#17 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

If you really want to do a powerful storyline for Bane, the writer should bring Bane closer to his true potential. Since Bane was last seen breaking free from his shackles at the end of Secret Six, and since his last goal was to finish the Bat, then a good way to go with his story would be to make Bane have another vision from, a not so distant, future self. When the vision ends, he wakes up in the police van and breaks free. His future self should inform him that he hasn't reached his full potential, and that the Venom coursing through his veins is actually making him weaker then he should be. Bane should then set out to drain all remaining traces of Venom from his system. Once all the Venom is removed, his future self should return again, to show him how to reach his full potential. It will be in this vision that the readers are finally told that Bane is a meta-human. With Bane now stronger and smarter then he ever was before, he sets out to finish the Bat. With Batman Inc. now being so large, any attempt to go directly for Bruce Wayne would be foolish, since all the members of Batman Inc. would interfere and stop him. Bane decides to take out all members of Batman Inc. One by one he should defeat the members, and since Batman Inc. is way to big nowadays some members should be either seriously injured or even killed. Bruce Wayne not wanting to see any more members of Batman Inc. meet the same fate as those who fell should decide to call Bane out. The two should meet in a place were no outside interference can occur and were no innocent bystanders could be harmed. This battle should end much faster then any of there previous battles. The final blow of the battle should not be seen in the comics however. Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne, Barbra Gordon, and a few other members of Batman Inc. should be seen waiting outside the designated area of Bane and Batman's fight. While they sit there in silence, they should see a figure moving towards them. Bane should walk right up to Dick and hand him Bruce's cape and cowl, then turn and walk away without one word exchanged. Batman Inc. lets Bane walk, and runs inside to find a defeated and bloody Bruce clinging to life. Bane let Bruce live, but Batman is no more. Bruce can only rule over Gotham as Bruce Wayne or another persona, but if Bruce ever becomes Batman again, Bane will come back, and when that happens Bruce dies. With Batman now erased from Bane's mind, he sets out to go after others who claim to have dominion over a city, or a group of people. At this point Bane should start facing opponents in which people had always assumed stronger then him. It should all lead up to a fight with Superman! This fight should be epic, and end with Bane dropping Superman, and showing that Bane's has finally reached his full potential. From this point Bane should use all his experience and create an organization that over looks the world, and wherever people are being ruled over by a being or group, he should step in and set those people free. Bane will be firmly placed in the gray, for he will go after good and evil alike.

#18 Posted by barnabae70 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont know how many of you read the last secret six but bane should be back to his old self and i agree with making him a more global problem, but if were being serious here cuse i know everyone thought it, how about bane kill batman and him stay dead for good, or some body important to the bat family like Night Wing that will stay dead cuse i dont know about you but im tired of everyone getting 2nd 3rd and 4th chances in life. Also to add Joker is to Batman as Green Goblin is to Spider-man thats a fact cant be changed. And kinda pissed bane is so small & not at all Baney in this new batman movie.

#19 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBane2890 said:

If you really want to do a powerful storyline for Bane, the writer should bring Bane closer to his true potential. Since Bane was last seen breaking free from his shackles at the end of Secret Six, and since his last goal was to finish the Bat, then a good way to go with his story would be to make Bane have another vision from, a not so distant, future self. When the vision ends, he wakes up in the police van and breaks free. His future self should inform him that he hasn't reached his full potential, and that the Venom coursing through his veins is actually making him weaker then he should be. Bane should then set out to drain all remaining traces of Venom from his system. Once all the Venom is removed, his future self should return again, to show him how to reach his full potential. It will be in this vision that the readers are finally told that Bane is a meta-human. With Bane now stronger and smarter then he ever was before, he sets out to finish the Bat. With Batman Inc. now being so large, any attempt to go directly for Bruce Wayne would be foolish, since all the members of Batman Inc. would interfere and stop him. Bane decides to take out all members of Batman Inc. One by one he should defeat the members, and since Batman Inc. is way to big nowadays some members should be either seriously injured or even killed. Bruce Wayne not wanting to see any more members of Batman Inc. meet the same fate as those who fell should decide to call Bane out. The two should meet in a place were no outside interference can occur and were no innocent bystanders could be harmed. This battle should end much faster then any of there previous battles. The final blow of the battle should not be seen in the comics however. Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne, Barbra Gordon, and a few other members of Batman Inc. should be seen waiting outside the designated area of Bane and Batman's fight. While they sit there in silence, they should see a figure moving towards them. Bane should walk right up to Dick and hand him Bruce's cape and cowl, then turn and walk away without one word exchanged. Batman Inc. lets Bane walk, and runs inside to find a defeated and bloody Bruce clinging to life. Bane let Bruce live, but Batman is no more. Bruce can only rule over Gotham as Bruce Wayne or another persona, but if Bruce ever becomes Batman again, Bane will come back, and when that happens Bruce dies. With Batman now erased from Bane's mind, he sets out to go after others who claim to have dominion over a city, or a group of people. At this point Bane should start facing opponents in which people had always assumed stronger then him. It should all lead up to a fight with Superman! This fight should be epic, and end with Bane dropping Superman, and showing that Bane's has finally reached his full potential. From this point Bane should use all his experience and create an organization that over looks the world, and wherever people are being ruled over by a being or group, he should step in and set those people free. Bane will be firmly placed in the gray, for he will go after good and evil alike.

I was enjoying it until Superman came along.@barnabae70 said:

Dont know how many of you read the last secret six but bane should be back to his old self and i agree with making him a more global problem, but if were being serious here cuse i know everyone thought it, how about bane kill batman and him stay dead for good, or some body important to the bat family like Night Wing that will stay dead cuse i dont know about you but im tired of everyone getting 2nd 3rd and 4th chances in life. Also to add Joker is to Batman as Green Goblin is to Spider-man thats a fact cant be changed. And kinda pissed bane is so small & not at all Baney in this new batman movie.

Batman is'nt dying,neither is Nightwing,Secret Six was great.

#20 Posted by Loki9876 (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of the new 52, they could just reintroduce Bane, give him a big plan (so they could show his genuis) and such.

#21 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I'll admit Superman was a bit of a stretch, but Bane is far more entertaining then Superman, plus Bane needs to break away from Batman and do something to really shake up DCU, and I've had beef with Superman ever since I was four. I've been waiting years for Superman to just be done! And since Knightfall was the very first comic I ever read, Bane has always been my favorite comic book character. If it were up to me I would have him just destroy and kill all the heroes I find to be over the top ridiculous. But you do have to admit that a storyline like the one I laid out would allow for Bane to develop more as a character, and eliminate the way to numerous Batman Inc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.