What was Bane's motivation?

#1 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I was reading a little bit on Bane's origin and how he was put in prison, but it actually made me question something. The majority of Batman's villains are either from Gotham, have lived there or have something there that draws them back - thereby leading them into a confrontation with Batman. Why did Bane come to Gotham? Why did he develop this plan to take down Batman? 

I'm trying to get my Bane facts right in preparation for TDKR.

#2 Edited by Edamame (28160 posts) - - Show Bio

It may be due to Bane recognizing Batman as the titan of Gotham and acknowledging Batman's powerful status (financial, physical, etc.). Defeating Batman would simply give Bane a huge boost. Most people view Batman as an "invincible" force of nature. Imagine if you were capable of defeating someone who is deemed "invincible". Bane seems to have this "might-makes-right" train of thought. He also seems to be obsessed with eliminating any and all elements of fear, and if I recall correctly, Bane used to fear Batman and Batman's symbol. This obsession with eliminating fear may be tied to his childhood experiences. Bane's childhood experiences certainly influenced his development of purpose in life. He had to always prove his superiority (mostly physical) in order to survive. I guess you could say that this is somewhat tied to the Survival of the Fittest philosophy (in the subjective sense). I have always thought that Bane was somewhat similar to Doomsday only in the fact that both characters were meant/created/written to utterly destroy their enemies (Batman and Superman, respectively). The fact that Bane is capable of challenging Batman both mentally and physically makes him Batman's most dangerous villain, in my opinion, but that is a subjective truth.

I hope I adequately answered your question.

#3 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@Edamame: That was an excellent and thorough explanation - it answered my question perfectly. I never looked at Bane the same way as I look at Doomsday, but it make total sense that the two icons of DC at that time needed to be challenged. They needed to have their Anti.
#4 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

He had a precognitive dream where his future self told him to overcome his fears, which manifested themselves in his mind as a shadowy bat-creature.

#5 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@CitizenBane said:

He had a precognitive dream where his future self told him to overcome his fears, which manifested themselves in his mind as a shadowy bat-creature.

Legitimately? I can never tell with you. xD
#6 Posted by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

@CitizenBane said:

Seriously! Bane dreamed the future. It was in Batman: Vengeance of Bane.

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

@CitizenBane said:

He saw himself killing a giant bat.

Edamame hit the nail on the head.

#8 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect
 to put it simply
he had a vision of his future self, saw his fears as a bat, his future told him if he overcomes his fears he will be a ruler
then bird his cell mate tells him about gotham a city ruled by the bat. then the story starts....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.