Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

What the hell is this? has DC lost it's mind?screw the reboot.

• 57 results
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis
    No Caption Provided
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By entropy_aegis

They took the most horrible Bane design and brought it in to the world of comics.Batman:The Dark Knight is trash.How about making Bane look like an actual person instead of some retarded version of Hulk?not only that but they killed his complexity.No smart person would ever wear that moronic device on their back,and Bane never used his normal venom tubes after Knightfall since he considered them a weakness.God they've already screwed many batcharacters in this book(Damian,Harvey,Penguin,Joker,Bruce etc).The plot of the first arc was just a BTAS episode ripoff(the one where Penguin dated Veronica Vreeland),one of the next issues featurning Scarecrow seems like a Never Fear episode rioff.The designs of Croc and Penguin here were completly contradictory to their actual/consistent designs.It's like they are'nt even trying to be subtle.

Oh and Finch,draw something orignal.We don't need to see another cover where Bane breaks Bruce's back.Dan Luvisi had a MUCH better take on that a few months ago.Gimme some Bane by Simone,or Dixon or maybe someone like David Hine,Snyder or even Tomasi with Gleason or Graham Nolan on art duties.Not his CRAP.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By super_psycho

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Adnan said:

@entropy_aegis: I didn't get to the end of Secret Six, something pretty drastic may very well have happened to him that I'm not aware of, but...what happened to all the characterization he got in that title? This sounds like they're turning him back into a street thug for Batman to beat up....

He was never a guy who used to get beat up by Bat's which is EXACTLY why i hate this so i disagree with using the word "back".His redemption happened in batbooks and so did him overcoming venom addiction(he only used venom for maybe 15 issues of his career).

Nothing that drastic happened in SS,Finch/Jenkins suck that's what is happening.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

@super_psycho said:

LOL.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The whole reboot sucks, not sure why you're surprised they'd ruin Bane too, mate. 

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

The whole reboot sucks, not sure why you're surprised they'd ruin Bane too, mate.

I wanna murder someone.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Pretty poor choice stylistically, and venom is an overused plot-point. But given how well the book sells, I guess DC's plan in order to popularize the character, or, at the very least, familiarize a broader audience with him, could very well work.

I'm really hoping Bane won't simply be a dumb brute, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By super_psycho

@entropy_aegis: LOL, seriously i thought arkham city's design was bad but this is awful

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Adnan said:

@entropy_aegis: I could've sworn he was no better than a street thug in some stories...maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else...

I think in every cartoon appearance the guy has had, he wears those tubes on his back, and Batman defeats him in the same way each time - by slicing the tubes. Maybe this book is supposed to appeal to those who have only watched the cartoons? Not an excuse for the story being so lame, but still...

Ignoring his appearences from the IC era ofcourse(where he was just guy in the background mostly).But otherwise no,Vengeance of Bane oneshots,Bane of the Demon,Legacy,Knightfall,JSA Classified,Angel and the Bane from Azreal,NML,Tabula rasa,Veritas Liberat etc were great Bane stories,SS continues his characterization from Veritas Liberat.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Morpheus_ said:

Pretty poor choice stylistically, and venom is an overused plot-point. But given how well the book sells, I guess DC's plan in order to popularize the character, or, at the very least, familiarize a broader audience with him, could very well work.

I'm really hoping Bane won't simply be a dumb brute, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't think he'll be a brute,but he'll most certainly be slow/unskilled brick.That same month sees the release of Justice League:Doom and the Batman vs Bane TPB,hopefully it's just Finch screwing around and we'll get some decent Bane later.

The Deathstroke solicit was badass though.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By dernman

I don't like that type of Bane but I'm not surprised. They have used that type of bane several times in other forms like cartoons movies and such. 
    I actually like a lot of the reboot even if there is a few thing that I don't. Are we sure that is going to be cannon? Maybe it's a misleading cover.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @entropy_aegis said:

I don't think he'll be a brute,but he'll most certainly be slow/unskilled brick.That same month sees the release of Justice League:Doom and the Batman vs Bane TPB,hopefully it's just Finch screwing around and we'll get some decent Bane later.

I'm more so buffled because they clearly acknowledge Knightfall, which means a series of things must have happened, at least in some capacity (which kinda makes me wonder about JPV, but I doubt it's their concern).

I liked it a lot, too.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ssejllenrad

I like this design and the one from the Arkham games as well... Don't kill me? Though I haven't read any of the batbooks since the reboot. Hell I haven't even read any batbook since the return of Bruce Wayne. Not to mention I haven't read any Bane issues post Knightfall. I may just have some naive view on things or something.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Dernman said:

I don't like that type of Bane but I'm not surprised. They have used that type of bane several times in other forms like cartoons movies and such. I actually like a lot of the reboot even if there is a few thing that I don't. Are we sure that is going to be cannon? Maybe it's a misleading cover.

This book is bad,plain bad.So no i have no doubt that what we're seeing here is real.@Morpheus_ said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I'm more so buffled because they clearly acknowledge Knightfall, which means a series of things must have happened, at least in some capacity (which kinda makes me wonder about JPV, but I doubt it's their concern).

I liked it a lot, too.

Maybe it's an effect of fear toxin,or maybe some moron hired by the real Bane.Yes i may have found a loophole.(Pray's Finch reads this).

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Afro_Warrior

This is what you get when you let David Finch write DC!!!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

@ssejllenrad said:

I like this design and the one from the Arkham games as well... Don't kill me? Though I haven't read any of the batbooks since the reboot. Hell I haven't even read any batbook since the return of Bruce Wayne. Not to mention I haven't read any Bane issues post Knightfall. I may just have some naive view on things or something.

KILL YOU.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ssejllenrad

@entropy_aegis: I like the design from Dark Knight Rises. Does that spare me? Nyehehehehe!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc

@entropy_aegis: You're right. Bane does look like a retarded version of the Hulk now.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By entropy_aegis

@ssejllenrad said:

@entropy_aegis: I like the design from Dark Knight Rises. Does that spare me? Nyehehehehe!

SPARE YOU.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By entropy_aegis

Responses on CBR and DC boards have been negative too,if Finch and Jenkins have half a brain among themselves then they're gonna reconsider.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By the_tree

@entropy_aegis: If DC had half a brain, they wouldn't put this on shelves.

Batman: The Dark Knight sucks.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis

There might be some hope,if you'd all look at Bane's gauntlets then you'd notice it say's Finch with respect to Kelley Jones.Now Jones was the cover artist of the batbooks back in the late 80's,early 90's.His covers were rather atrocious,since he too exagerrated his characters.

Hopefully this is just a tribute.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@entropy_aegis: Sorry, I'm a little bit confused here. Knightfall happened or not in this universe? And you took this picture from where exactly? Sorry...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cattlebattle

HAHA

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#26  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Am I the only one who actually likes this redesign?

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mayo88m

You guys may not like this design, but it's a safe bet for DC. It's the closest look that everyone is familiar with. When the regular person thinks of Bane, they think of that picture (if they even know who Bane is.) Besides, I don't think the design is that bad really. It's actually pretty cool looking, and who says just because he looks like that he can't be just as brilliant and cunning as ever. Give it a chance.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BatteredArmor

Okay guys lets calm down don't judge a book by it's cover

218Comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By 218Comics

I am quite confused why this was brought into the New 52, especially as a reboot idea.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By CATPANEXE

I just see a cover and one that's designed clearly as a hat tip to another infamous one in Banes history.

Generally speaking I haven't had many experience's with DCnU where the cover art played out as drastically

in the books interior and story. We'll see then. Personally if they retain his character development I don't think

I'll mind the look.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By daredevil21134

@entropy_aegis: Sorry Bro

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By vandinejd_1991

Well I don't care if you guys will want to slit my throat after this comment I'll say it anyway. I like the picture

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By jrock85

@entropy_aegis: I'll reserve judgement for now because covers can be misleading. I'm just glad Bane's not in limbo.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Phaedrusgr said:

@entropy_aegis: Sorry, I'm a little bit confused here. Knightfall happened or not in this universe? And you took this picture from where exactly? Sorry...

It's cover art for Batman:The Dark Knight #6(late February 2012)

@Mayo88m said:

You guys may not like this design, but it's a safe bet for DC. It's the closest look that everyone is familiar with. When the regular person thinks of Bane, they think of that picture (if they even know who Bane is.) Besides, I don't think the design is that bad really. It's actually pretty cool looking, and who says just because he looks like that he can't be just as brilliant and cunning as ever. Give it a chance.

What about Hardy?his look is a bazillion times better than this crap and he's gonna make the character more famous than ever,that very month sees the release of Justice League :Doom and the Batman vs Bane TPB(collects Bane of the Demon and the Bane oneshot).Tell me what smart or sane person would wear those things(for lack of a better term).Regardless he can be the new Metron and it would still suck.Making him a generic criminal mastermind who pulls the strings from behind means squat,it's lame and overused.Bane is a guy who trained his mind and body to perfection,he's not a smart Hulk.He's a twisted Batman or Cap America type figure.

@BlackArmor said:

Okay guys lets calm down don't judge a book by it's cover

Nope i can safely state that whatever we see in the cover will also be seen in the interiors,take a look at this books history.It's CRAP,the only 2 way's Finch might change his mind are as follows:

1)DC stops him.

2)He sees this thread.

Both are highly unlikely,this book is Finch's personal fantasy.Why do you think DC gave it to him?

@218Comics said:

I am quite confused why this was brought into the New 52, especially as a reboot idea.

Secret Six was cancelled thanks to the reboot.@jrock85 said:

@entropy_aegis: I'll reserve judgement for now because covers can be misleading. I'm just glad Bane's not in limbo.

Character assasination> Limbo.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By entropy_aegis

Either way if DC does turn Bane in to lame Hulk wannabe then the Bane character is gonna lose a long time fan.I'll prolly start investing more in Deathstroke,Punisher and Wolverine.

No Caption Provided

This is what Batman thinks.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#37  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Mayo88m said:

yea people are blowing this way out of proportion 
    KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KingofMadCows

More than 2 million copies of Arkham City have been sold. More than 4 million copies of Arkham Asylum were sold. This is what Bane looks like in those games:

No Caption Provided

Is the change really that surprising?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By entropy_aegis

@KingofMadCows said:

More than 2 million copies of Arkham City have been sold. More than 4 million copies of Arkham Asylum were sold. This is what Bane looks like in those games:

No Caption Provided

Sadly i think you might me right,it's disappointing nonetheless.DC thinks short term spike in sales equals success.They'll be back to where they were at this time next year with even more disgruntled fans.

By the way most good video games would sell that much anyway,it's not fair to compare comics with movies,games etc,while i would'nt be surprised if someone in DC actually compares the figures across the various mediums but it's still a stupid comparision.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By entropy_aegis

@spiderbat87 said:

@Mayo88m said:

yea people are blowing this way out of proportion

If Bruce starts fighting crime wearing his underwear what do you think people are gonna say?Fans of the character like myself,Morpheus,K4tz etc know there is something wrong with this design,but others who have most likely never read Bane outside of Knightfall,maybe SS or maybe NML are ofcourse gonna think it's all lovely.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Billy Batson

Oh no.

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @entropy_aegis said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Mayo88m said:

If Bruce starts fighting crime wearing his underwear what do you think people are gonna say?Fans of the character like myself,Morpheus,K4tz etc know there is something wrong with this design,but others who have most likely never read Bane outside of Knightfall,maybe SS or maybe NML are ofcourse gonna think it's all lovely.

You've seen one cover art thats a homage to a past one and from that your acting like Bane's had a complete make over to a mindless thug, how can you tell all this from one cover? It doesn't describe his personalty and it doesn't necessarily mean that's what Bane will actually look like.
    No Caption Provided
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis

@spiderbat87 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Mayo88m said:

You've seen one cover art thats a homage to a past one and from that your acting like Bane's had a complete make over to a mindless thug, how can you tell all this from one cover? It doesn't describe his personalty and it doesn't necessarily mean that's what Bane will actually look like.

No i have read this book,i know what it's like.Two-face was a retarded monster called Oneface,Killer Croc visual appearence was reverted his classic look without any explanation(before the reboot),Penguin had the Danny Devito look.Joker was an abomination.The previous volume(which lasted only 5 issues before getting renumbered HAHA) took elements from a BTAS episode,one of the next few issues seems to be doing the same.This new arc looks like like it's Arkham Asulum/city brought in to the comicworld.Retardd Bane,check,huge monsters check,etc.All this boo has done is flatout recycle Batman stories from the games,movies(Dawn Golden/Rachel Dawes anyone?),toons etc.

My rants are perfectly justified.

That Knightfall cover was made by Joe Kelley,how about posting the interior by Jim Aparo which was vastly different?

This cover was made by David Finch,that IS his design since he's gonna be doing the interiors as well.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Saren

*facepalm*

This is....just.....no. NO.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Yumulu

I don't see what the fuss is all about it is a homage cover minus a T-Rex.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @entropy_aegis said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Mayo88m said:

You've seen one cover art thats a homage to a past one and from that your acting like Bane's had a complete make over to a mindless thug, how can you tell all this from one cover? It doesn't describe his personalty and it doesn't necessarily mean that's what Bane will actually look like.

No i have read this book,i know what it's like.Two-face was a retarded monster called Oneface,Killer Croc visual appearence was reverted his classic look without any explanation(before the reboot),Penguin had the Danny Devito look.Joker was an abomination.The previous volume(which lasted only 5 issues before getting renumbered HAHA) took elements from a BTAS episode,one of the next few issues seems to be doing the same.This new arc looks like like it's Arkham Asulum/city brought in to the comicworld.Retardd Bane,check,huge monsters check,etc.All this boo has done is flatout recycle Batman stories from the games,movies(Dawn Golden/Rachel Dawes anyone?),toons etc.

That Knightfall cover was made by Joe Kelley,how about posting the interior by Jim Aparo which was vastly different?

This cover was made by David Finch,that IS his design since he's gonna be doing the interiors as well.

Even if that is so he's only going to be in the book for an arc or so then he'll get left alone and one of the other bat books will feature him and he'll be written properly 
    KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KingofMadCows

@entropy_aegis said:

Sadly i think you might me right,it's disappointing nonetheless.DC thinks short term spike in sales equals success.They'll be back to where they were at this time next year with even more disgruntled fans.

By the way most good video games would sell that much anyway,it's not fair to compare comics with movies,games etc,while i would'nt be surprised if someone in DC actually compares the figures across the various mediums but it's still a stupid comparision.

But by next year Dark Knight Rises will be out and they'll probably make Bane much smaller to match the movie.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't make more changes earlier. Those millions of people who bought Arkham Asylum and went to see the Nolan films are all potential new customers for the comics. WB/DC could have done a lot more to get them into the comics. They could have done a free comic with the purchase of Arkham Asylum or discount on comics with Batman Begins/Dark Knight ticket stub.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By entropy_aegis

@KingofMadCows said:

@entropy_aegis said:

But by next year Dark Knight Rises will be out and they'll probably make Bane much smaller to match the movie.

I'm actually surprised that they didn't make more changes earlier. Those millions of people who bought Arkham Asylum and went to see the Nolan films are all potential new customers for the comics. WB/DC could have done a lot more to get them into the comics. They could have done a free comic with the purchase of Arkham Asylum or discount on comics with Batman Begins/Dark Knight ticket stub.

Good thing,AA and AC were average when it comes to story and characterization IMO.

@Yumulu said:

I don't see what the fuss is all about it is a homage cover minus a T-Rex.

I guess you did'nt see the octopus on Bane's back or the straps on his torso or the stupid collar.

@spiderbat87 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@Mayo88m said:

Even if that is so he's only going to be in the book for an arc or so then he'll get left alone and one of the other bat books will feature him and he'll be written properly

Bad writing or mischaracterizaation should never be excused.I have been told that Jenkins has gone on record as to say that he's writing the characters based on perception,FAIL,even Judd Winick is better than that.

Avatar image for inga_thelabassistant
    Inga_TheLabAssistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KingofMadCows said:

No Caption Provided

He vould have an enormous schwanzstucker!

Avatar image for its_fronkensteen
    ITS_FRONKENSTEEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ITS_FRONKENSTEEN

@Inga: That goes without saying.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.