Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

The Tom Hardy Bane complaint thread

• 63 results
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis

This is where people can complain about Nolan's take on Bane and I'll address them directly.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By daredevil21134

@entropy_aegis said:

This is where people can complain about Nolan's take on Bane and I'll address them directly.

You are a dedicated Bane fan

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

I don't think Tom Hardy can play Bane because this way I'll piss Entropy off.

@entropy_aegis: Am I doing it right?

ScanCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ScanCase

I trust in Christopher Nolan. There is zero reason why I shouldn't.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

@ReVamp said:

I don't think Tom Hardy can play Bane because this way I'll piss Entropy off.

@entropy_aegis: Am I doing it right?

LOL@daredevil21134 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

You are a dedicated Bane fan

Hardy fan too.

Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Starkin

People need to watch Bronson and Warrior to see just how amazing Hardy is as an actor, and how he suits this role near perfectly. 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Mercy_

@jsphsmth said:

I seriously doubt that Nolan or Hardy want you speaking for them. You read the Knightfall trades and now you think you are a Bane expert?

So he's not allowed to refute arguments or address other's opinions as to why they think this'll suck and why he think it's gonna be awesome?

This is the second time I've seen you call out Entropy so to speak (seemingly without provocation). The other time was on Morph's community star article FFS. I seriously don't get what your issue is with him.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mayo88m

@entropy_aegis: I have one, well it's not personally MY complaint, but I've heard it a lot recently. They say that you can hardly understand what he is saying in the new preview they released recently. Apparently this is going to be like this the entire movie as well. They say that his mask muffles his voice too much, so much so that it's nearly unintelligible. The complaints also say that Warner Executives have asked him to retool the sound so that it's more audible, but that Nolan feels they are fine the way they are.

Like I said, these aren't my personal complaints, I haven't seen it yet myself, but what do you think about it if it is true? What sense does a villain that you can't understand make?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle

He looks like a Mortal Kombat character for one

Seriously, regardless of what Bane looks like, regardless of Tom Hardy portraying  aggressive, muscle man roles, Nolan is seemingly putting Bane in the role that has been missing from his Batman series: The one who can challenge Batman mentally and physically. Its exciting and I can't wait

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

I'll judge till I see the movie. Lord knows I did my fair share of bashing when I saw Heath Ledger's Joker for the first time.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

How about for once we as comic fans wait until we have seen the finished product before we start bitching about it

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

@joshmightbe said:

How about for once we as comic fans wait until we have seen the finished product before we start bitching about it

Lol. In a perfect world.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By RainEffect
    @jsphsmth said:

I seriously doubt that Nolan or Hardy want you speaking for them. You read the Knightfall trades and now you think you are a Bane expert?

Nice edit action. Worried you would be picked up on something?
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Mayo88m said:

@entropy_aegis: I have one, well it's not personally MY complaint, but I've heard it a lot recently. They say that you can hardly understand what he is saying in the new preview they released recently. Apparently this is going to be like this the entire movie as well. They say that his mask muffles his voice too much, so much so that it's nearly unintelligible. The complaints also say that Warner Executives have asked him to retool the sound so that it's more audible, but that Nolan feels they are fine the way they are.

Like I said, these aren't my personal complaints, I haven't seen it yet myself, but what do you think about it if it is true? What sense does a villain that you can't understand make?

First of all a good deal of people can understand him,second what if Hardy speaks in a muffled,eerie voice throughout the movie only to deliever a completely human,emotional and understandable line before dying or losing?

Most of you guys are gonna see the movie 3 times anyways.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Saren

I don't like Tom Hardy's Bane because he's cooler than me. F**k him.

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

Some minor complaints:

• In addition to having a bigger build than Bale, it would have been better if Hardy was taller than him to.
    • I can't tell what kind of accent Nolan wants Hardy to pull off behind the muffling of the mask. At times it sounds British, but then alludes to south american?
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

@yumyumbubblegum said:

Some minor complaints:

• In addition to having a bigger build than Bale, it would have been better if Hardy was taller than him to.
    • I can't tell what kind of accent Nolan wants Hardy to pull off behind the muffling of the mask. At times it sounds British, but then alludes to south american?

His accent is difficult to pin point,but I think it's Middle Eastern or Russian.@The Dark Huntress said:

@jsphsmth said:

So he's not allowed to refute arguments or address other's opinions as to why they think this'll suck and why he think it's gonna be awesome?

This is the second time I've seen you call out Entropy so to speak (seemingly without provocation). The other time was on Morph's community star article FFS. I seriously don't get what your issue is with him.

It does'nt matter DH,I ignore him.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CATPANEXE

Tom Hardy is sexy. Would it diminish the films quality if there's a butt shot?

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RainEffect

I don't even need to watch Warrior to have faith in Hardy. He was wicked in Inception and had such an interesting and unique character that was separated from the rest of the group.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

People who complain about Bane's size/height have yet to learn the magic of camera angles.

Also, if you couldn't understand Bane in the prologue, do the rest of the world a favor and wait till the DVD so you can watch the movie with subtitles. We had enough parodies of Batman's perfectly understandable TDK voice already. The gag is old. I laughed, you laughed, we all laughed. Let's not do it again.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RainEffect
    @InnerVenom123 said:

People who complain about Bane's size/height have yet to learn the magic of camera angles.

Also, if you couldn't understand Bane in the prologue, do the rest of the world a favor and wait till the DVD so you can watch the movie with subtitles. We had enough parodies of Batman's perfectly understandable TDK voice already. The gag is old. I laughed, you laughed, we all laughed. Let's not do it again.

I was probably the only person on the ENTIRE PLANET who actually liked Batman's voice in TDK. xD
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @InnerVenom123:  

to be honest, the difference is Batman's voice was understandable, those people were just crackin wise, but i will admit i had a hard time understanding Bane's voice.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

@The Stegman said:

@InnerVenom123:

to be honest, the difference is Batman's voice was understandable, those people were just crackin wise, but i will admit i had a hard time understanding Bane's voice.

I'll give you that the choice was understandable, but jeez. That last speech before the death of Two-Face? I didn't know whether to laugh or feel bad for the guy. That voice just isn't appropriate for some scenes.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Deranged Midget

I personally love the look of Bane. Hardy is a brilliant actor and he shouldn't have a problem portraying an intelligent and powerful Bane.

Oh and Bane isn't hard to understand at all but I guess everyone's different.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hardy was excellent in Star Trek: Nemesis, so no complaints. Voices are naturally muffled under masks.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By sj_esposito

I just want to chime in here and say that, personally, I had no trouble understanding Bane. Also, with regard to the accent, there's no way it's Latino. In my opinion (I'm fairly certain, though not totally), from what I've heard, it sounds South African. Middle Eastern and Russian are better guesses than South American, but I think they're off based on the way he enunciates 'r's. I think people have a bias to believe it to be Latino based on the fact that he was from South America in the comics. It will be interesting to see if Nolan will address Bane's origin and/or nationality in the movie, or leave it as up to the viewer to discern.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#27  Edited By The Lobster
    @RainEffect said:
    I don't even need to watch Warrior to have faith in Hardy. He was wicked in Inception and had such an interesting and unique character that was separated from the rest of the group.
    You should still watch it, Warrior is a masterpiece of a film. 

Everyday my family watches a movie, and my dad comes home from a hard days work and falls asleep a half hour into the movie because he's exhausted or just not interested. My dad is very picky when it comes to films. He stayed up and was so into that movie that he was yelling at the TV. If that film can suck my dad in and not let him go, you know it's good. As an added bonus, Tom Hardy is amazing in that movie but you can see an essence of Bane in his role in that movie. Just this unstoppable monster of a man who'll get $h!t done. 

Warrior is easily in my top 5 films of 2011
    super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By super_psycho

Why Bane no look mexican wrestler? ROFL

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vandinejd_1991

@InnerVenom123: Even with the camera angles Tom Hardy is still too small for the character of Bane. I've done my research and according to Wikipedia Tom Hardy built up his muscle weight to 198 pounds for the character of Bane. However, according to the overview of Bane that Comicvine gives Bane weighs 225 lbs off of his Venom and then after the injection of Venom Bane weighs 350 pounds. A guy weighing 350 pounds in muscle weight could break the back of the Batman. The only bone a guy weighing close to 200 pounds in muscle weight could break is that off a chicken leg from KFC.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @vandinejd_1991 said:

@InnerVenom123: Even with the camera angles Tom Hardy is still too small for the character of Bane. I've done my research and according to Wikipedia Tom Hardy built up his muscle weight to 198 pounds for the character of Bane. However, according to the overview of Bane that Comicvine gives Bane weighs 225 lbs off of his Venom and then after the injection of Venom Bane weighs 350 pounds. A guy weighing 350 pounds in muscle weight could break the back of the Batman. The only bone a guy weighing close to 200 pounds in muscle weight could break is that off a chicken leg from KFC.

oh just hardly
    Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mega_spidey01

isn't bane hispanic?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Bane is my favorite character and I'm not concerned.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I've complained many of times about Nolan's Bane, and it hasn't gotten me anywhere in this forum. So I'm just going to wait till I see the movie and if my opinion stands then I'm going on a trolling spree.

No Caption Provided
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mercy_

@BiteMe-Fanboy: Best trollface ever.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By xerox_kitty

This reminds me of the 'Petition' to remove Chris Evans as Captain America, and the film turned out to be a great adaptation & he was a good Cap. There's no point in complaining about something you know nothing about... it just looks silly. At least wait until the film has been released.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshmightbe

shall we go over the list of casting fans complained about that turned out good, Heath Ledger as Joker, Chris Evans as Cap, Christian Bale as Batman (yes many complained about the choice) Michael Keaton as Batman, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine (you can say what you will about the other X movies but the first 2 were the best we could hope for at the time), Edris Elba as Heimdale (turned out to be a high point of the movie)

Now lets look at some choices fans just loved at first, Brandon Routh as Superman, Val Kilmer as Batman, Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy, Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face, Danny Devito as Penguin, and remember how everyone cheered at comicon because Ryan Renolds knew the Green Lantern oath

davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By davelecave

I'm upset that they stole the idea for his voice from the teachers in Charlie Brown.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BatteredArmor

@davelecave said:

I'm upset that they stole the idea for his voice from the teachers in Charlie Brown.

win

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joshmightbe

@davelecave: I watched the opening on a poor quality bootleg and I understood him fine

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Walker696

@joshmightbe: see now somebody's gonna start a hate thread about you too lol

Seriously lets just wait for the movie to come out, as fans we often go into Comic movies with our own ideas about how a character/story/actor should be and that can cause us to miss how great a movie can really be. While its true the wrong/right actor can make or break a movie we have to realize (I know this is going to hurt somebody's feelings) these movies aren't made just for us. I know things aren't perfect but can we at least let the movie come out first please. Trust me I understand the disappointment, we just gotta let it go sometimes and just hope for the best.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By joshmightbe

@Walker696: I have a valid reason for watching the bootleg, I wasn't going to pay to see a Tom Cruise movie, but I will pay to see the next Batman movie

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Billy Batson

maybe people should complain after they've seen the movie.
    BB

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis

@vandinejd_1991 said:

Who cares? since when did size become so relevant with regards to strength in fiction?

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vandinejd_1991

Do you think that it would look realistic for the Hulk to rip a part a tank in if he looked an ordinary man? So how in the world can it look realistic for a man to break another man's back if he weighs less and is shorter than all of the WWE wrestlers?

Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Phantim555

@InnerVenom123: Amen brother (or sister, no offense this is comicvine so idk)

Phantim555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Phantim555

Ok, I get everyone's complaint's about Bane's muscle mass I mean in the comics the guy is practically the size of Hulk and maybe even Doomsday. However there are at least two things we have to take into consideration. 1) How can we be sure that there won't so CGIing of muscles for Hardy for the final battle between Batman and Bane. 2) How do we even know Bane WILL break Batman's back in the movie? Just because its what he's famous for in the comics doesn't mean the movie has to follow suit. Yes it would suck if they didn't do it I mean who wouldn't want to see it on the big screen but that doesn't mean the movie will be worse if they don't do it. I agree with the people saying we should wait and see. Oh and off topic (kind of) I could understand Bane and I liked Bale's Batman voice.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By entropy_aegis

@vandinejd_1991 said:

Do you think that it would look realistic for the Hulk to rip a part a tank in if he looked an ordinary man? So how in the world can it look realistic for a man to break another man's back if he weighs less and is shorter than all of the WWE wrestlers?

WWE wrestlers can't act,there's more to Bane than his size and those meatheads won't be able to pull it off.Superman(your icon) can lift a pyramid.@Phantim555 said:

Ok, I get everyone's complaint's about Bane's muscle mass I mean in the comics the guy is practically the size of Hulk and maybe even Doomsday. However there are at least two things we have to take into consideration. 1) How can we be sure that there won't so CGIing of muscles for Hardy for the final battle between Batman and Bane. 2) How do we even know Bane WILL break Batman's back in the movie? Just because its what he's famous for in the comics doesn't mean the movie has to follow suit. Yes it would suck if they didn't do it I mean who wouldn't want to see it on the big screen but that doesn't mean the movie will be worse if they don't do it. I agree with the people saying we should wait and see. Oh and off topic (kind of) I could understand Bane and I liked Bale's Batman voice.

No Caption Provided

There won't be any CGIing of muscles,the trailer and prologue make that clear. And if Bane is as big as Doomsday/Hulk then I guess that mook is almost as big as those guys.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vandinejd_1991

I actually agree with Phantim555. Although saying that he is as big as the Hulk and Doomsday is probably a bit of an overexaggeration. Comic book cover artists who have drawn him like that on the covers of the trade paperbacks of Batman: Knightfall and on the single issue where the infamous Batman vs Bane fight takes place only make him look that big for the sake of giving the reader the notion that this is someone Batman could not beat easily. In other words he is not as easy to beat in a physical fight as say joker, Two-Face, and Scarecrow. However, Bane is definitely bigger than most if not all WWE wrestlers and should be portrayed as such in the upcoming movie.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By entropy_aegis

@vandinejd_1991 said:

I actually agree with Phantim555. Although saying that he is as big as the Hulk and Doomsday is probably a bit of an overexaggeration. Comic book cover artists who have drawn him like that on the covers of the trade paperbacks of Batman: Knightfall and on the single issue where the infamous Batman vs Bane fight takes place only make him look that big for the sake of giving the reader the notion that this is someone Batman could not beat easily. In other words he is not as easy to beat in a physical fight as say joker, Two-Face, and Scarecrow. However, Bane is definitely bigger than most if not all WWE wrestlers and should be portrayed as such in the upcoming movie.

Sorry but just cause one or 2 guys overmuscled him in a few a covers does'nt mean anything,I go with the creators vision(Graham Nolan).

Avatar image for bob_agent_of_agency_x
    bob agent of agency x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Why should our focus be on Hardy when it should be with Hathaway?

Nolan has done Batman justice in the past, and I have faith in his abilities.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.