The problem with Bane - he's 1 dimensional with no motivation

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Harvey - Two Face check, he's got a split personality, hates corruption, got serious revenge issues....lots of stuff there an audience can read into. Ares, a Wonder Woman enemy with thousands of years of ancient stories and folklore to back him up. Loki a Marvel character based on another ancient character of the same name with years of stories and years of folklore. Ra's AlGhul head of a cult that traveled from the Arabian peninsula to China, has lived hundreds of years and raised immoral/decadent cities to the ground leaving them burnt out. Red Skull a Nazi survivor of WW2 obsessed with the occult and desires to remake the world as he wants it. Joker one of the coolest interesting villains of all time. Magneto, another brilliant enemy, not even sure if he's really evil.

Bane, audiences just won't get him

#2 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol... Let me just say: In before the Hate.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio

clearly your new at this

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

clearly your new at this

Sh*t going to go down here in a bit...

#5 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with Hoboseid - he's 1 dimensional with no motivation

BB

Online
#6 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Nolan's movie will do different though. Most movie directors will see that if there's not enough of a solid backstory, they tend to tweak the history and rewrite characters to give them more depth for the big onscreen movie. I'm sure the film will push him in a different direction. For me whenever I saw Bane in the toons or comics he just seemed like a character that came out of thin air, I couldn't buy into his story, he had one job - break the bat

the Bat comes back and beats him and then Bane didn't really have any other story to bring to DC

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio

so what your saying is you don't know anything about Bane?

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

so what your saying is you don't know anything about Bane?

Oh sh*t. [I'm just going to be here on the sidelines quoting people for an emphatic effect]

To be honest though, I can see why people think Bane is one dimensional. His appearances in Secret Six, at least the initial appearances were somewhat, wtf. I'm not sure how Bane fans regard those appearances but... yeah.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp: just wait till entropy aegis gets here 
#10 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp: just wait till entropy aegis gets here

Yeah, I know. Which leads us back into my first comment.

#11 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see it where you say the cartoon version put you off. They didn't really do much of a job in any animated version I've seen to do much else than to depict him as a brawler.

Comics, I guess to each their own and it depends on whose version you read and which you enjoyed.

#12 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

so what your saying is you don't know anything about Bane?

I don't buy his back story in the toons and comics, I know its escapism in comics but I like the stories to be a little grounded, just a little. A story of a child growing up in a prison never made any sense to me. I also don't buy why he hates the Batman so much. Joker, Loki, Magneto, Harvey and Ras I get cos they have their motivations, Joker an agent of chaos and really interesting, Harvey has his whole personality and revenge stuff, Magneto he's a mutant with that whole holocaust experience

but Bane I just never got as a character

#13 Posted by BigCimmerian (8305 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoboseid said:

@spiderbat87 said:

so what your saying is you don't know anything about Bane?

I don't buy his back story in the toons and comics, I know its escapism in comics but I like the stories to be a little grounded, just a little. A story of a child growing up in a prison never made any sense to me. I also don't buy why he hates the Batman so much. Joker, Loki, Magneto, Harvey and Ras I get cos they have their motivations, Joker an agent of chaos and really interesting, Harvey has his whole personality and revenge stuff, Magneto he's a mutant with that whole holocaust experience

but Bane I just never got as a character

He doesn't hate Batman, Bane's main motivation is to rule men and to be superior to everyone.

#14 Edited by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoboseid said:

Harvey - Two Face check, he's got a split personality, hates corruption, got serious revenge issues....lots of stuff there an audience can read into. Ares, a Wonder Woman enemy with thousands of years of ancient stories and folklore to back him up. Loki a Marvel character based on another ancient character of the same name with years of stories and years of folklore. Ra's AlGhul head of a cult that traveled from the Arabian peninsula to China, has lived hundreds of years and raised immoral/decadent cities to the ground leaving them burnt out. Red Skull a Nazi survivor of WW2 obsessed with the occult and desires to remake the world as he wants it. Joker one of the coolest interesting villains of all time. Magneto, another brilliant enemy, not even sure if he's really evil.

Bane, audiences just won't get him

Joker and Red Skull=Charismatic,evil badasses.There's nothing more to them than that.

Two-face=Only interesting as Dent,as Two-face he's just a generic mobster.

Ra's al Ghul=Same as Joker and Skull except that he's not fully evil,Ra's has'nt really been interesting for the last 10 years.Other characters affiliated with LOA are more interesting to read about,Ra's just sits in his chair.Morrison said that he would actually prefer Ra's dead.

Loki=No comment

Magneto=The only complex character you've mentioned.

@BigCimmerian: @CATPANEXE: @ReVamp: @spiderbat87: @Billy Batson:

This guy is a troll,he has used various other accounts.All he did in his time on the vine was spam threads with scans of Darkseid getting owned just so he could call him jobberseid.

He could'nt stand seeing Zoom,Flash and Black Adam winning in the battle threads so he resorted to doing the same to them as well.

He also insulted Superman,Captain Marvel and characters related to them(Lex).He's such a big Odin fanboy that I would'nt at all be surprised if he worships him(according to him Odin can shake the foundations of the universe).

@Hoboseid said:

@spiderbat87 said:

so what your saying is you don't know anything about Bane?

I don't buy his back story in the toons and comics, I know its escapism in comics but I like the stories to be a little grounded, just a little. A story of a child growing up in a prison never made any sense to me. I also don't buy why he hates the Batman so much. Joker, Loki, Magneto, Harvey and Ras I get cos they have their motivations, Joker an agent of chaos and really interesting, Harvey has his whole personality and revenge stuff, Magneto he's a mutant with that whole holocaust experience

but Bane I just never got as a character

He does'nt hate Batman,so there's your first fail.You have no clue what you're talking about.

Now that the ownage is complete,you have my permission to die.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33360 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

Now that the ownage is complete,you have my permission to die.

WIN
#16 Posted by mightyrearranger (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a great 1 note. He's Bane...he endures. :)

#17 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

The problem with Hoboseid - he's 1 dimensional with no motivation

BB

This.

Also,

@entropy_aegis said:

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Now that the ownage is complete,you have my permission to die.

This.

Moderator
#18 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Joker and Red Skull=Charismatic,evil badasses.There's nothing more to them than that.

Worst archnemesis of any Marvel hero....ever.....*spits*

#19 Posted by GamerGeek360 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Now that the ownage is complete,you have my permission to die.

WIN

Couldn't agree more!

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Joker and Red Skull=Charismatic,evil badasses.There's nothing more to them than that.

Worst archnemesis of any Marvel hero....ever.....*spits*

Does'nt make them more complex or multidimensional.

#21 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@yumyumbubblegum said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Joker and Red Skull=Charismatic,evil badasses.There's nothing more to them than that.

Worst archnemesis of any Marvel hero....ever.....*spits*

Does'nt make them more complex or multidimensional.

What do you mean? I was just stating my disdain for the villain.

#22 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@yumyumbubblegum said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@yumyumbubblegum said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Joker and Red Skull=Charismatic,evil badasses.There's nothing more to them than that.

Worst archnemesis of any Marvel hero....ever.....*spits*

Does'nt make them more complex or multidimensional.

What do you mean? I was just stating my disdain for the villain.

Oh

#23 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman should have been the enemy like in RedSon and Frank Millers Dark Knight Returns

#24 Posted by super_psycho (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane is one dimensional because of?

#25 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: lol...

#26 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoboseid said:

Superman should have been the enemy like in RedSon and Frank Millers Dark Knight Returns

Wow,you managed to drag your Superman hate in the Bane forum.Dude we get it,you hate Superman and almost everyone related to him in any manner.

#27 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is that Nolan is going to make Bane hate Bruce Wayne because Wayne Enterprises did something that destroyed his life and made him need that breathing apparatus.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingofMadCows: I hope not cause the thing that made Bane cool was that he didn't hate Batman, he just wanted to break him to prove a point. Him doing what he does out of revenge or a grudge would just make Bane a typical movie villain.

#29 Posted by k4tzm4n (43553 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#30 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightyrearranger said:

It's a great 1 note. He's Bane...he endures. :)

I don't think there's enough Bane material to grant him the lead role in a movie

Also its going to be impossible to top the Joker performance, the 3rd part of a trilogy is typically the weakest

Godfather, Matrix, Spider-Man III, Aliens3, the StarWars with Ewoks and Vader revealed as an old bald white guy...general rule - the 3rd film always has that turd-ish look to it

#31 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hoboseid: Ofcourse there is,Vengeance of Bane,Knightfall and Legacy are enough and it's not like Nolan is using decades worth of material either.

Bane has already topped the Joker as a villain and a character,what remains is whether he achieve the same level of recognition,doubtful admittedly.

#32 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis
actually i am the guy who made the stupid jobberside thread, but that was in my early days
it was a joke i am a darkseid fan
#33 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@Hoboseid: Ofcourse there is,Vengeance of Bane,Knightfall and Legacy are enough and it's not like Nolan is using decades worth of material either.

Bane has already topped the Joker as a villain and a character,what remains is whether he achieve the same level of recognition,doubtful admittedly.

No, mate. I know you love Bane, but he's not close to the Joker. Not even in the same league. 
#34 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Hoboseid: Ofcourse there is,Vengeance of Bane,Knightfall and Legacy are enough and it's not like Nolan is using decades worth of material either.

Bane has already topped the Joker as a villain and a character,what remains is whether he achieve the same level of recognition,doubtful admittedly.

No, mate. I know you love Bane, but he's not close to the Joker. Not even in the same league.

In the movie lol,ofcourse Joker is untouchable in the comics and in iconic status.You won't hear me denying that.

#35 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane grew up in a foreign prison for his fathers sins where he roughly learned that the way of life is to overcome fear by being greater than and it's superior. After making his first kill, Bane built himself into a killing machine because of the days he trained his mind and body for his fight to be the superior man as the means for survival.

Unless you've seen these foreign prisons like I have during one of my tours, it's common to find it hard on following Bane's character.

By the time Bane grew into adulthood, there was still a fear among the prison that he has yet to overcome, which was the name of Batman. Bane made it his primary goal to hunt this monstrous Batman after his escape and become his master as well. Which he successfully did.

Understanding Bane has more psychological meaning than the other Batman villains we grew into.

#36 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Hoboseid: Ofcourse there is,Vengeance of Bane,Knightfall and Legacy are enough and it's not like Nolan is using decades worth of material either.

Bane has already topped the Joker as a villain and a character,what remains is whether he achieve the same level of recognition,doubtful admittedly.

No, mate. I know you love Bane, but he's not close to the Joker. Not even in the same league.

In the movie lol,ofcourse Joker is untouchable in the comics and in iconic status.You won't hear me denying that.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I apologise ^_^
#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Hoboseid: Ofcourse there is,Vengeance of Bane,Knightfall and Legacy are enough and it's not like Nolan is using decades worth of material either.

Bane has already topped the Joker as a villain and a character,what remains is whether he achieve the same level of recognition,doubtful admittedly.

No, mate. I know you love Bane, but he's not close to the Joker. Not even in the same league.

In the movie lol,ofcourse Joker is untouchable in the comics and in iconic status.You won't hear me denying that.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I apologise ^_^

No prob.

#38 Edited by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@MTHarman said:

Bane grew up in a foreign prison for his fathers sins where he roughly learned that the way of life is to overcome fear by being greater than and it's superior. After making his first kill, Bane built himself into a killing machine because of the days he trained his mind and body for his fight to be the superior man as the means for survival.

Unless you've seen these foreign prisons like I have during one of my tours, it's common to find it hard on following Bane's character.

By the time Bane grew into adulthood, there was still a fear among the prison that he has yet to overcome, which was the name of Batman. Bane made it his primary goal to hunt this monstrous Batman after his escape and become his master as well. Which he successfully did.

Understanding Bane has more psychological meaning than the other Batman villains we grew into.

True.

#39 Posted by daredevil21134 (11769 posts) - - Show Bio

I WILL BREAK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

I've tried giving him a chance, but Bane doesn't interest me too much, to be honest. I do like his Secret Six incarnation, however.

#41 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

I've tried giving him a chance, but Bane doesn't interest me too much, to be honest. I do like his Secret Six incarnation, however.

That makes your opinion valid,unlike Hobo lol.

#42 Posted by 0blivion_ (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane is okay, he's got a few good comic appearances but I don't think he'll be any good in the Newest Batman Movie..

#43 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7829 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. So much f*cked up posts in this thread. This what makes me dislike ComicVine sometimes. The dude doesn't like Bane. He might not understand Bane much, or read too much about him, but he clearly doesn't really like him. He states his opinion on why he dislikes Bane (even if they don't really prove anything) and everyone jumps on him and begin talking trash.

If the thread was clearly a troll thread (which most of you claim he is trolling) I'm sure the mods would have something to do with that. Let the man voice his opinion. He tried to explain himself (even it wasn't very good) and he gets jumped all over? I could understand if all he said was 'Bane sucks because he is big and stupid and wears a lucha libre mask, he sucks ass and shouldn't be iin the movie' then yes, that is just asking to get jumped on.

People need to grow up in this forum, and get their heads out of there ass

#44 Posted by EganTheVile1 (6199 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont agree with this, Bane had no personal motive against Batman, Batman was just an obstacle to Bane to gain control over gotham crime. He broke Batman to remove his major obstacle, not for personal reasons, that does not make him a 1-dimensional character

#45 Posted by entropy_aegis (15312 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Wow. So much f*cked up posts in this thread. This what makes me dislike ComicVine sometimes. The dude doesn't like Bane. He might not understand Bane much, or read too much about him, but he clearly doesn't really like him. He states his opinion on why he dislikes Bane (even if they don't really prove anything) and everyone jumps on him and begin talking trash.

If the thread was clearly a troll thread (which most of you claim he is trolling) I'm sure the mods would have something to do with that. Let the man voice his opinion. He tried to explain himself (even it wasn't very good) and he gets jumped all over? I could understand if all he said was 'Bane sucks because he is big and stupid and wears a lucha libre mask, he sucks ass and shouldn't be iin the movie' then yes, that is just asking to get jumped on.

People need to grow up in this forum, and get their heads out of there ass

Or maybe you should'nt talk about things which you don't understand.The poster in question is a troll who's used about a bazillion different accounts,he's a lunatic who hates for the sake of hating.

He hates Darkseid,which led him to continously call the character"Jobberseid" and he posted out of context scans of Darkseid getting owned in every Darkseid related thread.He hates Lex,Superman and other supercharacters.He hates the Flash,Zoom and the Rogues,to this day he is unwilling to accept that Flash can speed steel,he hates Captain Marvel and Black Adam.In short he hates any DC character that is either popular or is winning too much in the battle threads.

He's the king of trolls.

@0blivion_ said:

Bane is okay, he's got a few good comic appearances but I don't think he'll be any good in the Newest Batman Movie..

People said the same about Ledger,Hardy and Nolan are gonna rock.

#46 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

What doesn't this guy hate.

BB

Online
#47 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

Himself? nah

#48 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

@MTHarman said:

Bane grew up in a foreign prison for his fathers sins where he roughly learned that the way of life is to overcome fear by being greater than and it's superior. After making his first kill, Bane built himself into a killing machine because of the days he trained his mind and body for his fight to be the superior man as the means for survival.

Unless you've seen these foreign prisons like I have during one of my tours, it's common to find it hard on following Bane's character.

By the time Bane grew into adulthood, there was still a fear among the prison that he has yet to overcome, which was the name of Batman. Bane made it his primary goal to hunt this monstrous Batman after his escape and become his master as well. Which he successfully did.

Understanding Bane has more psychological meaning than the other Batman villains we grew into.

Awesome analysis

#49 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Wow. So much f*cked up posts in this thread. This what makes me dislike ComicVine sometimes. The dude doesn't like Bane. He might not understand Bane much, or read too much about him, but he clearly doesn't really like him. He states his opinion on why he dislikes Bane (even if they don't really prove anything) and everyone jumps on him and begin talking trash.

If the thread was clearly a troll thread (which most of you claim he is trolling) I'm sure the mods would have something to do with that. Let the man voice his opinion. He tried to explain himself (even it wasn't very good) and he gets jumped all over? I could understand if all he said was 'Bane sucks because he is big and stupid and wears a lucha libre mask, he sucks ass and shouldn't be iin the movie' then yes, that is just asking to get jumped on.

People need to grow up in this forum, and get their heads out of there ass

Maybe when you do some research and discover that Hoboseid has a well deserved reputation for trolling, perhaps then you can ask everyone to get their heads out of their asses. Hm?

Moderator
#50 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7829 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: @entropy_aegis:

He might troll in many other threads, he might hate many popular characters. But there is no trolling in this thread by him. He listed other villains that he thinks that have more motivation than Bane. Though I disagree, at least just explain to him why you think he is wrong. Not tell him to die and all gang up on him like a couple of losers.

. I see nothing wrong with this thread. Just because he 'trolled' on other threads and might have a rep for trolling, doesn't mean every single thread he makes is going to be a troll thread. Sorry, i just think alot of the posts said to him were shot out and pretty unnecessary. Regardless of what he has done before. Let Mods take care of trolls, it's not your position to tell people to die and basically label them as trash. We have mods for a reason, and I havent seen this thread locked yet for the 'trolling' you all say he is doing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.