The Dark Knight Rises: Nolan Explains Bane's Costume Changes

#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (36396 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Rises - Bane's Costume Explained

The superhero world is filled with some pretty abstract costumes. They look good on panel, but sometimes an outfit is just too absurd to translate to the big screen. Such is the case with the legendary Batman villain, Bane. Director Christopher Nolan has made an effort to keep his trilogy both dark and realistic. So, it goes without saying that having Batman face off against a massive man strutting around in a tight wrestling costume and a luchador mask probably wouldn't fit well. Changes have been made and I've grown to like the look, but overall opinions are still pretty mixed. We know the mask in the film is delivering Bane an anesthetic, but why is it designed in that fashion? And, why is the man who broke the Bat sporting a trench coat with a popped collar? Click the imagine below to see why the talented director made these decisions.
Are you a comic purist and think the changes are unnecessary to the character's look, or do you think this is a great way to bring Bane to the big screen? Regardless, it sure beats the hell out of his terrible appearance in Batman & Robin, right? The final installment of the epic trilogy will hit U.S. theaters on July 20th. In the meantime, kill the wait by seeing Marvel's The Avengers a gazillion more times.
source: my blog
Staff
#2 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
...Dat image.
#3 Posted by Dane (10588 posts) - - Show Bio

His mask still looks full retard to me.

#4 Posted by Ferro Vida (34672 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
...Dat image.
Dat AV. 

I'm a fan of the redesign, as hilarious as it would have been to see the luchador look on film (again).
#5 Posted by k4tzm4n (36396 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dane said:

I can't help but think of Tropic Thunder.

@Morpheus_ said:

...Dat image.

...Dat Bane!

@Ferro Vida said:

@Morpheus_ said:
...Dat image.
Dat AV. I'm a fan of the redesign, as hilarious as it would have been to see the luchador look on film (again).

It's growing on me. And yeah, the latter would definitely be funny.

Staff
#6 Posted by Dane (10588 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: I can't help but think 'what is that on your face, because as a mask it doesn't seem particularly useful.'
#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91112 posts) - - Show Bio

That is the worst costume change ever.I'd take bat-nipples any day over the imploded beak mask any day.

#8 Posted by Ferro Vida (34672 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

@Dane said:

I can't help but think of Tropic Thunder .

Dat movie.
#9 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it actually, looks menacing. But i'll have to add that I don't really care for or know too much about Bane in the comics besides the 'populair' storylines with him in it. So i don't mind changes made to him.

#10 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

The design isn't that bad but the only bug for me is the mask.

#11 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

Drugs that give you superhuman strength isn't completely unrealistic.They could have found a way to incorporate venom into the movie.

#12 Posted by ChrisAFisher (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The new outfit to me was more realistic and believeable. Christopher Nolan does a great job with his characters.

#13 Posted by chrisjackson009 (1 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by jhon_frank1982 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.