Small Bane

#1 Posted by neale7 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't another Tom Hardy is too small topic. I think he did just fine.

Anyway, I was playing Arkham Asylum again the other day and looking at the character bios. I was reading Bane's who is listed at something like 5'7-5'9 and a small weight without venom, but with he's pumped with venom he’s like 6'7 and massive. I then remembered that he was quite skinny in the game until he had the venom forcibly put into him. It then hit me that only the animated series has stayed true to Bane's physical form from the comics. He was still very tall and strong, and got even stronger with venom. Both The Batman and Brave and the Bold have Bane as a small skinny guy until pumped with venom, not the guy who is still a big physical demanding villain without it. I can see from an entertaning point of view this small guy can be this sort of human hulk, but it makes Bane look like he's nothing and just a wimp without venom.

I wouldn't say its annoyed me but it's grated on me a bit, a bit like Rocksteady having Nightwing's height at 6' instead of 5'10. Has anyone else noted this, and what’s your view on it?

#2 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes... it's dumb because it shows that the people who are making whatever the source don't care about the character who is a strong, bad ass, super intellect, fighter, who would match or better the physique and intellect of most of the other characters of comics.

#3 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio

@neale7 said:

Anyway, I was playing Arkham Asylum again the other day and looking at the character bios. I was reading Bane's who is listed at something like 5'7-5'9 and a small weight without venom, but with he's pumped with venom he’s like 6'7 and massive. I then remembered that he was quite skinny in the game until he had the venom forcibly put into him. It then hit me that only the animated series has stayed true to Bane's physical form from the comics. He was still very tall and strong, and got even stronger with venom. Both The Batman and Brave and the Bold have Bane as a small skinny guy until pumped with venom, not the guy who is still a big physical demanding villain without it. I can see from an entertaning point of view this small guy can be this sort of human hulk, but it makes Bane look like he's nothing and just a wimp without venom.

I wouldn't say its annoyed me but it's grated on me a bit, a bit like Rocksteady having Nightwing's height at 6' instead of 5'10. Has anyone else noted this, and what’s your view on it?

Oh thank God.I also agree with you.

#4 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

agreed!! nice!

#5 Edited by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree. I think its just a better visual having a tiny guy become Bane.

Actually, I was flipping though a DC encyclopedia, and the average height (heroes and villains) has got to be like 6'0. EVERYBODY is tall, to the point that 5'11 tanks the average. Even the ladies regularly push 5'10, and WW is like 6'0 (or something, slightly shorter than Bats anyway). It only gets bothersome with characters like NW, who should be smaller and more agile.

#6 Edited by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Rocksteady games but it seems like the only thing they knew about Bane was what they saw in Batman and Robin.

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio

@YMCMB said:

I love the Rocksteady games but it seems like the only thing they knew about Bane was what they saw in Batman and Robin.

Shame,we could've gotten some great H2H bouts between the 2.Maybe we still can... but I'm not getting my hopes up.

#8 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

you guys are forgetting something. This isnt the comic versions of the character. Many things in the game point to the game hhaving events transpired differently in the cmics. Rocksteady made their own universe of batman, the characters arent going to be the same as in the comics.

#9 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

No objections from me.

#10 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio

@KraytRawk said:

you guys are forgetting something. This isnt the comic versions of the character. Many things in the game point to the game hhaving events transpired differently in the cmics. Rocksteady made their own universe of batman, the characters arent going to be the same as in the comics.

No doubt,but atleast write characters in a way that makes them look competent.

#11 Posted by neale7 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see many of the things i mentioned, that you guys agree with. I can see where from a visual perspective it looks good, but it does take a lot away from who bane is. The guy is a tank without venom, and should be respected as such. It looks like we all have another thing to hate the batman and robin film for, with the skinny bane to pumped bane lol.

#12 Posted by Dernman (14615 posts) - - Show Bio
@neale7 said:

People thought Tom Hardy was too small? This is the first time I heard of it.  
Of course that might be because I usually stay way from Nolan Batman threads because of the Nolanites and Nolanhaters.
#13 Edited by JigglyJiggletowns (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@neale7: That Arkham bio was bull. 6'7? Batman's 6'1? In the Arkham games Batman was roughly the size of Banes arms. Bane was a terrible fighter, and looked like a giant monkey (tiny legs, huge arms). I despised that version. They didn't make Bane a threat at all.

#14 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the way Bane looks in the Arkham games. It's completely stupid. I just hope that they don't make him like that in the comics. I actually thought that they made him too big in Batman: The Dark Knight, so hopefully next time he appears in the New 52 he'll be sized down a bit so he's not as big as the Incredible Hulk. And hopefully they'll also give him some more to his character than just a criminal mastermind whose on venom.

#15 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

I think 6'0 is a good height for non-Venom Bane

#16 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, there are people who actually think Hardy was too small in TDKR? What, you want him to get so big he croaks like the last guy who played Bane?

#17 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss:

No, I just wanted them to actually have Venom in the movie seeing as that is one of Bane's significant qualities. And when I say significant, I mean ABSOLUTLEY NECCESARY! Don't tell me Nolan couldn't fit a super-steroid into his "real-world" Gotham. If he can include Fear Toxin, he can sure as hell include Venom. And since when is Bane a white guy?

#18 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: True, but the effects of Venom are often comically exaggerated (Bane's current incarnation just looks ridiculous), which would not have fit in Nolan's universe. I can just imagine the vitriol the internet would have spewed had Venom existed, but just as a normal steroid instead of a balloon-muscle machine. Also, I wouldn't say that Venom is necessary to Bane. He can exist without it. Hell, he's basically an evil Batman if you take away the Venom. Went around the world, training his mind and body, then came back to Gotham to mess stuff up. It's not like the Venom changes his personality when he takes it.

Also, you can be Caucasian without being from the West.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.