Outraged by his Portrayal in Young Justice

#1 Edited by Deadman1595 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I want to start this off by saying I don't  hate Young Justice its just this once episode "Drop Zone" bothered me by portraying Bane one my favorite characters as a two bit hispanic drug dealer. I mean Bane is supposed to be a strategic genius capable of going toe to toe with Batman both physically and mentally he is not a petty drug dealer who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.  They display him as this lame easily beatable idiot who is unable to understand that Kid Flash is fast enough to swipe a detonator from his hand then gets his ass kicked easily not to mention this happens three other times in the episode once when he evens has his venom. I mean I'm not even going to discuss his horrible face paint or the inaccurate portrayal as hispanic. The whole episode he is nothing but an incompetent moron peddling his own venom for junkies to get high on which also doesn't even begin to make sense.  I just wanted to know what other fans of Bane have to think about this and if your a diehard fan like me I'd love to discuss this with you.

Note:  Please don't respond to this saying he is hispanic because he's not and that's a whole different debate and this is a not a topic about races and i'm leaving it at that.

#2 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah the whole "stupid thug on venom" portrayal seems to be the ONLY version of bane outside of the comics.

WHich is why i'm terrified of the new batman movie.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

you do understand that Bane was playing them the entire time...why do the work himself when he could get Young Justice to do it for him....also how was he to know anything about them...the Young Justice universe isn't New Earth it's Earth-16 and most of the kids on Young Justice have only been active for a year or so...it's very conceivable that Bane didn't have any idea who Kid Flash was or how fast he was....there are tons of heroes and villains who are stronger than Bane and the Mammoth of Earth-16 was made using a super venom so it's really understandable how he was stronger than Bane...Superboy being stronger than him is just common sense....also lets set things straight here...the only reason that Bane beat Batman was because he wore him down using the Arkham inmates to do his dirty work...if Batman were fresh he would have stomped Bane

#4 Posted by Telcalipoca (957 posts) - - Show Bio

bane wasnt just a drug dealer he ruled his small island , and used the drug funds to help keep his reign and or enjoy himself. He was defeated by a guy who was using a drug far superior to his own  and was a member of cobra  so lossing his territory was only matter of time . even when out he saw an opportunity when some mask metas came he used the outside kids to fight his enemies.he may not have broken the bats back on his first apperiance but he shown to be a ruler and brains about him.

#5 Posted by TenEyedMen (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you! This is actually the smartest Bane has ever been portrayed. He outsmarted Ms. Martian and nearly tricked the group. He manipulated both sides to his own advantage.

And, I'm sorry, but WTF is this crap about him not being Hispanic? He's only half-British on his father's side. His first appearance does hint at a Hispanic heritage. After all, he genetically has it from his mother's side, was raised in a South American country, and Spanish was the first language he ever learned. Deal with it.

#6 Edited by entropy_aegis (15197 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

you do understand that Bane was playing them the entire time...why do the work himself when he could get Young Justice to do it for him....also how was he to know anything about them...the Young Justice universe isn't New Earth it's Earth-16 and most of the kids on Young Justice have only been active for a year or so...it's very conceivable that Bane didn't have any idea who Kid Flash was or how fast he was....there are tons of heroes and villains who are stronger than Bane and the Mammoth of Earth-16 was made using a super venom so it's really understandable how he was stronger than Bane...Superboy being stronger than him is just common sense....also lets set things straight here...the only reason that Bane beat Batman was because he wore him down using the Arkham inmates to do his dirty work...if Batman were fresh he would have stomped Bane

Lets set things straight,Bane could have killed him right at the start of Knightfall(Vengeance of Bane).
Bane had him cornered in some gym and with the assistance of his cronies(who were actually pretty damn good) he could have beaten Batman there and then.But where's the fun in that. 
As for YG,i'm not as angry as i am disappointed.He clearly was'nt incompetent as his other portryals but having Cheshire ,Black Spider and even Ubu get more credit for their abilities over Bane is very unfair.Nobody was asking for him to be put up against Mammoth or Superboy.Cheshire did'nt end up with them so why should Bane? 
Fact is that Batman has never faced an armed Bane on venom.He has faced Bane(unarmed and venom less)on 3 occasions and only won 1 fight and barely i might add. 
Simply put,i want Bane to be displayed as a formidable street level character,there is no point in making him smart and then putting him up against heavy hitters.Nobody knew who Mammoth is so Bane comes out looking really bad,it's damaging to his reputation,even moreso than Batman and Robin(atleast we can blame Schumacher for that).
#7 Posted by Johnslamby (149 posts) - - Show Bio

even though i didn't like how he was portrayed that much also but i think its the best he was portrayed in other media besides lego batman

#8 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman: The Animated Series, he came to Gotham from South America.

#9 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuba, he's from DC's version of Cuba..

#10 Edited by cobra88king8 (339 posts) - - Show Bio

This was one of his better portrayals outside of comics, it just felt like he could be filling in for any number of villains and his role was interchangeable. I want Bane to be seen as the expert fighter he is in the comics and be an actual threat, not some side threat like he was here.

#11 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because the Young Justice have superpowers, and Bane well has dosen't really have any apart from super strenght. I'm sorry I think Bane's a pretty cool villain too

#12 Posted by SupBatz (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think Bane was portrayed too badly in Young Justice. He just didn't have a big, cool, or memorable role.

Young Justice does a great job with all of the heroes but it isn't the best at making the villains interesting. The show has a habit of making the villains two dimensional and lacking in real motivation or the awesomeness they have in the comics.

#13 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I disagree that Batman stomps if he's at his peak; more like he wins as often as not. The qualification of worn out batman only explains why Bane so thoroughly demolishes him.

#14 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@danhimself said:

Lets set things straight,Bane could have killed him right at the start of Knightfall(Vengeance of Bane).Bane had him cornered in some gym and with the assistance of his cronies(who were actually pretty damn good) he could have beaten Batman there and then.But where's the fun in that. As for YG,i'm not as angry as i am disappointed.He clearly was'nt incompetent as his other portryals but having Cheshire ,Black Spider and even Ubu get more credit for their abilities over Bane is very unfair.Nobody was asking for him to be put up against Mammoth or Superboy.Cheshire did'nt end up with them so why should Bane? Fact is that Batman has never faced an armed Bane on venom.He has faced Bane(unarmed and venom less)on 3 occasions and only won 1 fight and barely i might add. Simply put,i want Bane to be displayed as a formidable street level character,there is no point in making him smart and then putting him up against heavy hitters.Nobody knew who Mammoth is so Bane comes out looking really bad,it's damaging to his reputation,even moreso than Batman and Robin(atleast we can blame Schumacher for that).

Naw, he came out alright; Mammoth was clearly a powerhouse, and the fact that he is on the higher end of the "street-level" spectrum was played nicely. If felt less like a job and more like a Batman style out-maneuvering-the-gods type thing.

The original poster's outrage seems largely misplaced. The character has had Hispanic overtones from the very beginning, often saying "Que?" instead of "What?" and naming his teddy bear "Osito." What's more, while he is definitely on the losing end of this episode, I never felt like he wasn't scheming and plotting his comeback, which is far more important to me than having him actually come out on top. The tone here was that he was ambushed by very powerful forces and had to come back from a deficit on the fly. The look and feel of him here may be my favorite take yet in animation.

#15 Posted by darktiger (4458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadman1595 said:

Now I want to start this off by saying I don't hate Young Justice its just this once episode "Drop Zone" bothered me by portraying Bane one my favorite characters as a two bit hispanic drug dealer. I mean Bane is supposed to be a strategic genius capable of going toe to toe with Batman both physically and mentally he is not a petty drug dealer who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. They display him as this lame easily beatable idiot who is unable to understand that Kid Flash is fast enough to swipe a detonator from his hand then gets his ass kicked easily not to mention this happens three other times in the episode once when he evens has his venom. I mean I'm not even going to discuss his horrible face paint or the inaccurate portrayal as hispanic. The whole episode he is nothing but an incompetent moron peddling his own venom for junkies to get high on which also doesn't even begin to make sense. I just wanted to know what other fans of Bane have to think about this and if your a diehard fan like me I'd love to discuss this with you. Note: Please don't respond to this saying he is hispanic because he's not and that's a whole different debate and this is a not a topic about races and i'm leaving it at that.

I agree

#16 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane became machette, santana, tuco and the mubling zapata all rolled into one

youngjustice reminded me of the mexican stereotype in cowboy movies

#17 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6450 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadman1595 said:

Now I want to start this off by saying I don't hate Young Justice its just this once episode "Drop Zone" bothered me by portraying Bane one my favorite characters as a two bit hispanic drug dealer. I mean Bane is supposed to be a strategic genius capable of going toe to toe with Batman both physically and mentally he is not a petty drug dealer who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. They display him as this lame easily beatable idiot who is unable to understand that Kid Flash is fast enough to swipe a detonator from his hand then gets his ass kicked easily not to mention this happens three other times in the episode once when he evens has his venom. I mean I'm not even going to discuss his horrible face paint or the inaccurate portrayal as hispanic. The whole episode he is nothing but an incompetent moron peddling his own venom for junkies to get high on which also doesn't even begin to make sense. I just wanted to know what other fans of Bane have to think about this and if your a diehard fan like me I'd love to discuss this with you. Note: Please don't respond to this saying he is hispanic because he's not and that's a whole different debate and this is a not a topic about races and i'm leaving it at that.

Never watched Young Justice, but this portrayal outrages me. Remind me never to watch this stupid show.

#18 Posted by cattlebattle (12694 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 said:

@Deadman1595 said:

Never watched Young Justice, but this portrayal outrages me. Remind me never to watch this stupid show.

The Op largely over exaggerated, probably due to fanboyism or something. The show is pretty good and Bane is represented a lot better than he is in some other media
#19 Posted by Captainbane (20 posts) - - Show Bio

In young justice he looks 100% Spanish even tan skin tone and voice tone, like really....? Thats stupid.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.