Is Bane hispanic?

#1 Edited by MuyJingo (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is obvious and all signs point to yes. Others disagree.

Is Bane Hispanic ad if so, what evidence is there?

#2 Posted by nickthedevil (12807 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo: he is south American of some sort i believe.

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Three Things:

  • Wrong Board.
  • Entropy Bait. [He'll tell you for sure when he gets here]
  • I don't know.

:D

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12820 posts) - - Show Bio

He is likely half 
 
I recall his father being a british mercenary and his mother was from the caribbean

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Three Things:

  • Wrong Board.
  • Entropy Bait. [He'll tell you for sure when he gets here]
  • I don't know.

:D

Oh, this is gonna be good.

*Grabs popcorn*

#6 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

He's half i believe.

His fathers English and his mother's Hispanic. However his first language was Enlgish (in fact its never been stated that he actually speaks Spanish or Portugeese) and he was raised by an American. I'd consider him English if i had to choose.

P.S. Obvious Entropy bait is obvious

#7 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11738 posts) - - Show Bio

He is spanish as well as english, I believe. Half and Half.

*inb4 Enter Entropy*

#8 Edited by MuyJingo (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, what can I say, it is Entropy bait. Although I am new to the fourms and didn't know it would be so obvious to everyone. Is entropy famous for denying bane is hispanic or something? Wrong board was a mistake, my bad.

As for the topic, Bane has always looked hispanic, spoken spanish as his native language, been portrayed as spanish, his mother was spanish....I think it's a stretch to say he wasn't.

#9 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

He's english/spanish.

#10 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

He's english/spanish.

Case closed.

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

Three Things:

  • Wrong Board.
  • Entropy Bait. [He'll tell you for sure when he gets here]
  • I don't know.

:D

Oh, this is gonna be good.

*Grabs popcorn*

Hand it over. ;)

#11 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, whys everyone eating popcorn?!? I want some!!! :D

#12 Posted by MuyJingo (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr.obvious said:

He's english/spanish.

Obama is Black / White, yet considered black.

Bane is Hispanic / White, is he considered Hispanic?

#13 Posted by TheWholeDamnShow (758 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo said:

@mr.obvious said:

He's english/spanish.

Obama is Black / White, yet considered black.

Bane is Hispanic / White, is he considered Hispanic?

I'm pretty sure he considers himself Hispanic, so im going to say he's Hispanic. The dude wears a luchador mask.

#14 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

He's hispanic guys...

#15 Edited by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo said:

Yeah, what can I say, it is Entropy bait. Although I am new to the fourms and didn't know it would be so obvious to everyone. Is entropy famous for denying bane is hispanic or something? Wrong board was a mistake, my bad.

As for the topic, Bane has always looked hispanic, spoken spanish as his native language, been portrayed as spanish, his mother was spanish....I think it's a stretch to say he wasn't.

Relax, if your hounded by somebody because of a simple and understandable question, it's just somebody who's suffering from some celebrity complex or an unhealthy ego that probably only exists online.

As for the topic, Bane grew up in a fictional country known as Santa Prisca that mostly holds Spanish as it's native language. Bane's father, King Snake, was British as for his mother was a rebel native of Santa Prisca. So Bane is actually half Hispanic and half British. His native language is Spanish, as for the other languages were learned by reading from books or taught by teachers within the prison that Bane grew up in. Because of Bane growing up in a Hispanic culture, it is common for Bane to hold a strong foreign accent when speaking any other language.

#16 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

@MTHarman said:

@MuyJingo said:

Yeah, what can I say, it is Entropy bait. Although I am new to the fourms and didn't know it would be so obvious to everyone. Is entropy famous for denying bane is hispanic or something? Wrong board was a mistake, my bad.

As for the topic, Bane has always looked hispanic, spoken spanish as his native language, been portrayed as spanish, his mother was spanish....I think it's a stretch to say he wasn't.

Relax, if your hounded by somebody because of a simple and understandable question, it's just somebody who's suffering from some celebrity complex or an unhealthy ego that probably only exists online.

As for the topic, Bane grew up in a fictional country known as Santa Prisca that mostly holds Spanish as it's native language. Bane's father, King Snake, was British as for his mother was a rebel native of Santa Prisca. So Bane is actually half Hispanic and half British. His native language is Spanish, as for the other languages were learned by reading from book or taught by teachers within the prison that Bane grew up in. Because of Bane growing up in a Hispanic culture, it is common for Bane to hold a strong foreign accent when speaking any other language.

This.

Uh- oh. Watch out entropy.

#17 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo said:

Yeah, what can I say, it is Entropy bait. Although I am new to the fourms and didn't know it would be so obvious to everyone. Is entropy famous for denying bane is hispanic or something? Wrong board was a mistake, my bad.

As for the topic, Bane has always looked hispanic, spoken spanish as his native language, been portrayed as spanish, his mother was spanish....I think it's a stretch to say he wasn't.

I already answered this on the Batman board,he has never spoken Spanish and looks are irrelevant,take Talia al Ghul for instance she's supposed to be Arabic but that has not stopped writers from drawing her like a European.(Red Hood and the Outlaws)

He's simply a comicbook character whose race has never been relevant,just blown waaay out of proportion by those who used him in cartoons and games cause they wanted an entertaining gimmick and diversity.

and LOL guys.

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

I already answered this on the Batman board,he has never spoken Spanish and looks are irrelevant,take Talia al Ghul for instance she's supposed to be Arabic but that has not stopped writers from drawing her like a European.(Red Hood and the Outlaws)

He's simply a comicbook character whose race has never been relevant,just blown waaay out of proportion by those who used him in cartoons and games cause they wanted an entertaining gimmick and diversity.

and LOL guys.

I don't think Bane's accent in cartoons or games is a gimmick.I think, they think they are being true to the character.
Moderator
#19 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Well he was definitely had a stereotypical portrayal in his first episode of BTAS,dialogue,accent,costume and even fighting style all screamed Mexican lucha.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I personally liked how they portrayed his voice in Arkham City. They went the same route in Young Justice as well.

Moderator
#21 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11738 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@entropy_aegis: I personally liked how they portrayed his voice in Arkham City. They went the same route in Young Justice as well.

This

#22 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@entropy_aegis: I personally liked how they portrayed his voice in Arkham City. They went the same route in Young Justice as well.

Yeah well,AC had the worst incarnation of Bane while the one in YJ was a pushover.

#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (45575 posts) - - Show Bio

Danny Trejo did the voice for Bane in Young Justice. Just a funny fact.

Staff
#24 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: You didn't like the look or the voice?

@k4tzm4n: Danny Trejo is a boss, fit the bill pretty good too.

Moderator
#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@k4tzm4n: Danny Trejo is a boss, fit the bill pretty good too.

Agreed.
Moderator
#26 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@entropy_aegis: You didn't like the look or the voice?

@k4tzm4n: Danny Trejo is a boss, fit the bill pretty good too.

AC and AA Bane sucks,YJ Bane was cool but underwhelming.

#27 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

YJ Bane was cool but underwhelming.

Bane isn't a Young Justice villain anyway.....
Moderator
#28 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@entropy_aegis said:

YJ Bane was cool but underwhelming.

Bane isn't a Young Justice villain anyway.....

The same can be said for Lex,Savage,Ivo,Morrow,Ra's,Joker,Adam,Kobra and in short almost all villains that have appeared.

#29 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I thought the AC Bane somewhat resembled the version seen in BTAS, but that's just me.

Moderator
#30 Posted by MuyJingo (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

I already answered this on the Batman board,he has never spoken Spanish and looks are irrelevant,take Talia al Ghul for instance she's supposed to be Arabic but that has not stopped writers from drawing her like a European.(Red Hood and the Outlaws)

He's simply a comicbook character whose race has never been relevant,just blown waaay out of proportion by those who used him in cartoons and games cause they wanted an entertaining gimmick and diversity.

and LOL guys.

I already told you bucko, you need to reread the comics. He has always spoken Spanish as his first language. All established canon reflects this. Deal with it.

Not discussing this further with you unless you can actually make a decent argument for Bane not being Hispanic. Although given that you think his race has never been relevant, it shows you don't have the faintest clue about the character, so that is going to be unlikely.

#31 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane's father is King Snake, who was English. The ethnicity of Bane's mother was never revealed, however it is believed that she was a native of Santa Prisca, which is located in South America. Bane was born in the prison, Pena Duro, located off of Santa Prisca. He is most likely English/Hispanic. However he can speak over 6 or 7 languages, I have to check that, which makes it hard for some to pinpoint exactly what he is. Having the background that he does, makes it somewhat easy to cast him if a movie wants to do him correctly, because you can find someone that speaks multiple languages, and use a spray tan if necessary. The trouble comes when trying to find someone his size. It is best to hire someone who is 6'2" or higher, as well as muscular, and then use CGI to raise him to 6'8" when he is on Venom plus add a few muscles. Those heights are Bane's actual size when he is on and off Venom.

#32 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I already answered this on the Batman board,he has never spoken Spanish and looks are irrelevant,take Talia al Ghul for instance she's supposed to be Arabic but that has not stopped writers from drawing her like a European.(Red Hood and the Outlaws)

He's simply a comicbook character whose race has never been relevant,just blown waaay out of proportion by those who used him in cartoons and games cause they wanted an entertaining gimmick and diversity.

and LOL guys.

I already told you bucko, you need to reread the comics. He has always spoken Spanish as his first language. All established canon reflects this. Deal with it.

Not discussing this further with you unless you can actually make a decent argument for Bane not being Hispanic. Although given that you think his race has never been relevant, it shows you don't have the faintest clue about the character, so that is going to be unlikely.

I've read every Bane comic genius,he has never spoken Spanish,your personal fantasy is not canon.His race has never been relevant,he does'nt care.This guy dumped his own country to go to Gotham,he handed it over to the Suicide Squad.Stop making up non sense.

#33 Posted by MuyJingo (1778 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@MuyJingo said:

I've read every Bane comic genius,he has never spoken Spanish,your personal fantasy is not canon.His race has never been relevant,he does'nt care.This guy dumped his own country to go to Gotham,he handed it over to the Suicide Squad.Stop making up non sense.

You are really maintaining that Bane has never spoken Spanish? Wow. This is a great example of denial, and so there is nothing further to say.

#34 Posted by Dernman (15159 posts) - - Show Bio

I was under the impression that Spanish was his first language but I honestly I don't care either way.

Can anyone prove he speaks Spanish by providing scans to settle the argument. Usually when characters are speaking another language they show it in the text.

#35 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

@MuyJingo said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@MuyJingo said:

I've read every Bane comic genius,he has never spoken Spanish,your personal fantasy is not canon.His race has never been relevant,he does'nt care.This guy dumped his own country to go to Gotham,he handed it over to the Suicide Squad.Stop making up non sense.

You are really maintaining that Bane has never spoken Spanish? Wow. This is a great example of denial, and so there is nothing further to say.

Yes I'm maintaining it,now bring some evidence from a comic.

#36 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Did not like how Bane was portrayed in YJ.

#37 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes Bane is Hispanic. He was born in a Hispanic country and grew up there. I doubt he was home schooled English and became a revolutionary fighter because of a misunderstanding of the language. Oh and he is dresses like a Luchador. He also has a teddy bear named Osito which is "little bear" in spanish.

#38 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

seems hispanic to me. danny trejo was awesome in yj

#39 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

I was under the impression that Spanish was his first language but I honestly I don't care either way.

Can anyone prove he speaks Spanish by providing scans to settle the argument. Usually when characters are speaking another language they show it in the text.

Bane, while fighting a (pre-armor) AzBats, when hurt and enraged resorts to calling Jean-Paul an animal in Spanish. From Detective Comics #666.

#40 Posted by DFChewie (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane's heritage is British/South American, but he was born and raised (uh... so to speak) in Santa Prisca, not even knowing the identity of his father, let alone the ethnicity. Yes, he personally does not care about his heritage (and who could blame him?), but he is Hispanic, and, though he speaks 6 or 7 languages now, Spanish was his first language. He reverts to it when angry, and as a small child he named his teddy bear Osito, which means "little bear" in Spanish. (Thank you, gravitypress) He had Osito before he received any schooling, meaning he most likely named him according to the first language he ever learned to speak.

#41 Posted by modernww2fare (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

No sh*t he is

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.