Hispanic or Caucasian? WTF?

• 127 results
#101 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
@entropy_aegis said:
@turoksonofstone: Okay then what is Bane's nationality?i'm waiting.
Friend of mine had Chuck Dixon over at his LCS this weekend, he told him Bane was Cuban.

WTF?
#102 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@entropy_aegis said:
Friend of mine had Chuck Dixon over at his LCS this weekend, he told him Bane was Cuban.
WTF?
Then again, my friend could totally be lying. :P IDK.
#103 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
@entropy_aegis said:
@InnerVenom123 said:
@entropy_aegis said:
WTF?
Then again, my friend could totally be lying. :P IDK.

lol
#104 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Bane is half british and half some form of Latino (it hasn't been told what country he's mother is from). He was born in a fictional island in the Caribbean.
#105 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@InnerVenom123: Bane is half british and half some form of Latino (it hasn't been told what country he's mother is from). He was born in a fictional island in the Caribbean.

I know,so basically the supposedly Latino part of his origin is unclear,while his British heritage is obvious.So WTF is everyone crying about?
#106 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: Personally, I don't have a problem with Tom Hardy being cast or never said I did. This started when someone said "Depends on the character. Ethnicity doesn't usually matter when it comes to most characters. Does it with Bane? Yes and no, I personally think so but I can see how it wouldn't matter seeing as how his ethnicity rarely comes to play." I had a problem with this in general because ethnicity doesn't usually matter when it comes to most characters which cause most characters to be cast as white (usually male). This caused a shit storm in which I explained how Hollywood barely hired minorities and often white wash adapted material where main characters are minorities.

If you or anyone else my thoughts on Tom Hardy being cast then here: http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/features/why-the-controversy-over-banes-casting-is-misplaced.php

The article is long, but it goes into the topic of this thread and the race of characters in comic books in general.
#107 Posted by cascadeking09 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
I'm sure there are plenty of white actors who LOOK like Kingpin and could play him. 

White Character - White Actor 
Black Character - Black Actor 
Giant Planet Consuming Humanoid - Giant Planet Consuming Humanoid 
Hispanic Character - Hispanic Actor 
Asian Character - Asian Actor etc.etc.etc.  

It's a simple PROVEN formula, Not rocket science. Also as mentioned elsewhere in this very thread Minority characters are underrepresented in superhero films, I have no problems with a Minority playing a Villain at all. Why would anyone? Let's be honest Minorities are "cast" as Villains by white folks every minute of every day. Bane being played by a Hispanic would be better. More Inclusive. and more correct. Seems to me DC fans don't care if their characters are "misrepresented" but new interpretations do not appeal to a large base, Classic interpretations do. Marvel casting Black actors to play white characters is stupid and unnecessary.
Yes there are actors that look like, but are they all big enough or can they bring more to the role than MCD? That's the point, it's not as simple as just casting someone else who isn't as well suited for the role just because he and the actor are the same race. If there was another actor out there who could've done a better job I would figure that they would've chosen him.
And Bane being played by a hispanic really wouldn't what is "correct" because Bane is only half hispanic and actually looks like regular white man. His skin tone is actually pretty pale, if there isn't a problem with him not having a ton of body hair then their shouldn't be a problem with him not being hispanic or half-hispanic. As long as they get his origin right and he doesn't screw the accent up (assuming that he'll try) then it's fine. It depends on the case, in the case of MCD and Wilson Fisk it wasn't stupid and definitely wasn't unnecessary.
#108 Posted by jointron33 (1901 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: he's white tho
#109 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@jointron33 said:
@Gambit1024: he's white tho
He's a halfsie. But that was close enough for me, haha. 
#110 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio
Breaking News: being born south of the U.S. border does make one Hispanic/Latino any more than being born in Africa makes one black. Charlize Theron was born in South Africa but has become a naturalized American citizen, so she is, in fact, African-American and Caucasian all at the same time.  

Get. Over. The. Hyphenated. Race. Names. 

Cuban/African/American/British/Icelandic are nationalities , not races. 

Oh and Heimdall being black, so what? When the Prose and Poetic Eddas were written, Caucasian was the only known race to the authors. If they were written today, who says he wouldn't be black?  

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD READ! You will learn so much about history and expand your minds beyond all this skin colour crap!   
#111 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio
@iaconpoint said:
Breaking News: being born south of the U.S. border does make one Hispanic/Latino any more than being born in Africa makes one black. Charlize Theron was born in South Africa but has become a naturalized American citizen, so she is, in fact, African-American and Caucasian all at the same time.  

Get. Over. The. Hyphenated. Race. Names. 

Cuban/African/American/British/Icelandic are nationalities , not races. 

Oh and Heimdall being black, so what? When the Prose and Poetic Eddas were written, Caucasian was the only known race to the authors. If they were written today, who says he wouldn't be black?  

FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD READ! You will learn so much about history and expand your minds beyond all this skin colour crap!   
I reiterate Heimdall being black was stupid. I read plenty Alt. Get over the need to miscast roles. Vengeance of Bane is Bane's origin and implies Hispanic heritage. Thus my irritation. anyone who has read it want to tell me that Banes is white? 
#112 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@iaconpoint:  So those of Icelandic origin were black?  Never learned that in all those history books I've read.
#113 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: No, no they weren't. I was just trying to raise the point that today's world, where the Thor movie was made, is different than when then Edda's were written but never mind. Never mind...
#114 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@iaconpoint:  It's just respecting history.  If, let's say DC, went and made Isis, an Egyptian God, white, there would be reason to be angry.  DC would be, arbitrarily, disrespecting history with complete and total disregard.
#115 Posted by RScottH08 (249 posts) - - Show Bio

For bane i dont think its as much of a problem, but it wont matter cuz we all know alot of people are gonna watch this movie no matter what and whos to say they dont have hardy give him an accent or voice him over
#116 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio
@iaconpoint said:
@Amegashita: No, no they weren't. I was just trying to raise the point that today's world, where the Thor movie was made, is different than when then Edda's were written but never mind. Never mind...
I understand your point. but it's irrelevant to my argument. If I was adapting the Edda's to film directly at what point and why and  how does a characters race change? To what end exactly?  
I find randomly replacing/changing a characters appearance like this to be insulting to the audience.
#117 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

Since I haven't stated my own opinion, I'll just say I agree with Turok on trying to keep the ethnicity of characters true to their original source.  It's bad when directors go changing a character's race just so they don't seem like they're being racist by not including an ethnicity in their movie, but then it's just as bad when they go ignoring a characters race.  

#118 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita said:
  Since I haven't stated my own opinion, I'll just say I agree with Turok on trying to keep the ethnicity of characters true to their original source.  It's bad when directors go changing a character's race just so they don't seem like they're being racist by not including an ethnicity in their movie, but then it's just as bad when they go ignoring a characters race.  
in a friendlier sounding nutshell.
#119 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: No, I gotcha and I totally understand and agree to a point, but how does making Heimdall black in the film ruin all history? I was concerned with how Odin losing his eye was portrayed inaccurately moreso than Heimdall.
#120 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@iaconpoint:  It doesn't effect the movie, but it negates it's mythological accuracy.  And at some point far into the future, you never know, it's always the most mundane thing that ends up having heinous effects late into the future.  Jesus, historically, had a period of 40 days between his death and his ascension, so the Catholic church says, "What 40 days?  He died, and arose 3 days later.  So it is now truth."  And now, hundreds of years into the future, people are brought up on this inaccurate statement.
#121 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio
@Amegashita: Well, while I question that stat about Jesus, I'm agnostic so I really don't care but I get your point. Also, I followed my own advice and did some reading and found that the Poetic Edda apparently says Heimdall was the whitest of all the Aseir. Interesting to say the least.
#122 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio
@iaconpoint:  Lol, interesting indeed.
#123 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

The way I look at it is how I look at myself. I'm technically white with italian/persian/ and irish in me. Just like Bane is white from his father's side (King Snake) with South American (Santa Prisca) from his mother's side. I never liked it when they gave him this mexican accent like they did when Hector Alozado did in Batman : Mystery of the Batwoman. I always preferred the way Henry Silva (the first actor to voice Bane) did Bane's voice. Where it was basically a man with intelligence in his voice. That's all I really care about. NOW if he came from Russia or something than yea I expect a heavy accent.

#124 Posted by The_Pendulem (6 posts) - - Show Bio

In film adaptation and comics as well I think it's gay when they race change. And I'm gonna say, its always making white people every other race, it's rarely ever been the other way(although Bane seemed to white DKR) lets not be stupid. What I think is f'd up is Not only do Whites lose someone but I think it's wrong other races can't get there own character. Why not just add a cool new character into the world via a movie? It might become something awesome in the comic world. And not some cleeshay Mr.Fuji,Supa Brotha shi*. Just get creative while staying true to what fans love.

#125 Edited by SpawNgengiskhaN (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol.... I guess if they made a Dragonball Z movie and made Goku Hispanic I'd be pretty ticked off so I know where you are coming from but.... TDKR is such a great movie though.... in the first Batman movie Harvey Dent was black... lol... wtf? Ya I know, I just enjoy the movies the way they are. If it was like Gears of War, DBZ, or Halo and they screwed it up I'd be pretty pissed so I guess I can understand not making Bane Hispanic like he should be but it was still a great movie though.

#126 Posted by Teerack (7371 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Bane was always meant to be Spanish, but from Spain Spanish. And to help explain what that means... Spanish people from Spain are Caucasian.

#127 Edited by Perez050388 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Comics he from Santa Prisca, which makes him Santa Priscan ( a fictional island in the Caribbean that is very similar to Cuba ), in Batman the Animated series batman actually says that Bane escaped from a Cuban prison, making him Cuban.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.