Hispanic or Caucasian? WTF?

  • 127 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by turoksonofstone (13194 posts) - - Show Bio
In his origin story we learn Bane was born and raised in the South American nation of Santa Prisca. We see he is clearly some sort of Latino.
Tom Hardy? Meh. 
                                                                                                                                                                               And the classic Tim Burton Version...
so much fail. 
If you can't even get a character's ethnicity right you don't deserve my movie dollar. This change is fail.
My theory about DC. 
#2 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio

oh good another "they changed the ethnicity of a character in a movie" hate thread

haven't we already learned that it's not a big deal to change these characters?  Kingpin was black not white and it worked and Heimdall was black not white and it also worked

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

That wasn't Tim Burton's vision, it was Schumaccer's.

#4 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

So long as they don't change Bane's origin to make him British I don't care about the actor's ethnicity.

#5 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not Burton's version. It's Schumacher's.

Meh. It doesn't matter to me a character's race unless it's integral to the character's background (i.e. you can't have the African royal Black Panther played by Tom Hanks in the movie). Let the actor do his or her job and judge the performance by its merit. Look at how many racist comic book fans were upset at Idris Elba as Heimdall in the Thor movie and his performance turned out to be one of the very best parts of the entire film.

Besides, I don't really recall Bane ever being too attached to his South American roots in the comics so whatever. And who knows...maybe Tom Hardy will play a completely different version of the character, which is away from the comic book origin. 

#6 Posted by turoksonofstone (13194 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
oh good another "they changed the ethnicity of a character in a movie" hate threadhaven't we already learned that it's not a big deal to change these characters?  Kingpin was black not white and it worked and Heimdall was black not white and it also worked
Black Kingpin did not work.
Daredevil failed. Seen the sequel yet?

@Wattup said:
That's not Burton's version. It's Schumacher's.Meh. It doesn't matter to me a character's race unless it's integral to the character's background (i.e. you can't have the African royal Black Panther played by Tom Hanks in the movie). Let the actor do his or her job and judge the performance by its merit. Look at how many racist comic book fans were upset at Idris Elba as Heimdall in the Thor movie and his performance turned out to be one of the very best parts of the entire film. Besides, I don't really recall Bane ever being too attached to his South American roots in the comics so whatever. And who knows...maybe Tom Hardy will play a completely different version of the character, which is away from the comic book origin. 
Why? Why would I go to a movie to see a variation of the character I know from comics? It should DIRECTLY reflect the source material.
It would produce a superior product to what DC has produced thus far.
#7 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
@danhimself said:
oh good another "they changed the ethnicity of a character in a movie" hate threadhaven't we already learned that it's not a big deal to change these characters?  Kingpin was black not white and it worked and Heimdall was black not white and it also worked
Black Kingpin did not work.
Daredevil failed. Seen the sequel yet?

@Wattup said:
That's not Burton's version. It's Schumacher's.Meh. It doesn't matter to me a character's race unless it's integral to the character's background (i.e. you can't have the African royal Black Panther played by Tom Hanks in the movie). Let the actor do his or her job and judge the performance by its merit. Look at how many racist comic book fans were upset at Idris Elba as Heimdall in the Thor movie and his performance turned out to be one of the very best parts of the entire film. Besides, I don't really recall Bane ever being too attached to his South American roots in the comics so whatever. And who knows...maybe Tom Hardy will play a completely different version of the character, which is away from the comic book origin. 
Why? Why would I go to a movie to see a variation of the character I know from comics? It should DIRECTLY reflect the source material.
It would produce a superior product to what DC has produced thus far.
daredevil failed because the movie sucked not because of the Kingpin
#8 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I hated the X-Men movies. The guy they got to play Wolverine is from Australia while Logan is supposed to be from Canada. What a terrible choice. And Captain Picard as Xavier? Xavier's from America, not Britain. Did they think we wouldn't notice? */sarcasm*

#9 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the character. Ethnicity doesn't usually matter when it comes to most characters. Does it with Bane? Yes and no, I personally think so but I can see how it wouldn't matter seeing as how his ethnicity rarely comes to play.

#10 Edited by jloneblackheart (5463 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they changed it because of how they changed the character. They may have thought it better to have a white drug addicted villain than a Latino drug addicted villain. So they could have change it so they WOULDN'T look racist.

Moderator
#11 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio
@turoksonofstone said:
@danhimself said:
oh good another "they changed the ethnicity of a character in a movie" hate threadhaven't we already learned that it's not a big deal to change these characters?  Kingpin was black not white and it worked and Heimdall was black not white and it also worked
Black Kingpin did not work.
Daredevil failed. Seen the sequel yet?

@Wattup said:
That's not Burton's version. It's Schumacher's.Meh. It doesn't matter to me a character's race unless it's integral to the character's background (i.e. you can't have the African royal Black Panther played by Tom Hanks in the movie). Let the actor do his or her job and judge the performance by its merit. Look at how many racist comic book fans were upset at Idris Elba as Heimdall in the Thor movie and his performance turned out to be one of the very best parts of the entire film. Besides, I don't really recall Bane ever being too attached to his South American roots in the comics so whatever. And who knows...maybe Tom Hardy will play a completely different version of the character, which is away from the comic book origin. 
Why? Why would I go to a movie to see a variation of the character I know from comics? It should DIRECTLY reflect the source material.
It would produce a superior product to what DC has produced thus far.
Then don't go see the movie. In fact, you should boycott ANY comic-book movie that strays from your precious source material.

Don't enjoy Batman Begins because Joe Chill was murdered in front of Bruce Wayne or the fact that Ra's Al Ghul is Liam Neeson rather than a middle eastern actor. Or don't enjoy The Dark Knight because Two-Face was created by the Joker rather than a vial of acid thrown by a gangster in a courtroom. Or how about Michael Caine's Alfred having the temerity not to have a mustache like his comic book counterpart. Scandalous!

In fact, we should all march up to Christopher Nolan on the set of The Dark Knight Rises and stone him to death for casting Tom Hardy as the villain. What a racist!

However...Bane isn't completely South American as his father King Snake was a white guy. Wait a minute...Tom Hardy's a white guy! Gasp!
#12 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself
Indeed.  Michael Clarke Duncan was a great Kingpin, and he had nothing to do with the reasons the movie failed.  Watch the R-rated Daredevil, it's much better.

Anyway, I feel as long as the characterization is correct, it really makes little different what ethnicity they make the character.
#13 Posted by monopolyloser (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's pretty safe to say that Nolan's Batman world differs quite a bit from that of the comics.  These movies are interpretations of the source material.  From what I hear, they changed Penguin quite a bit for the new Arkham City game.  Does that mean I won't play it?  No, because it's all just another way to tell the story.  Quite frankly I'm excited Tom Hardy is in this role, not because of his skin color, but because of his skills as an actor.

#14 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: It does matter when Hollywood barely hires minorities.
#15 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@iLLituracy: It does matter when Hollywood barely hires minorities.
I don't think that's the topic at hand and debatable. And most of the time when they switch the ethnicity of a character it's to a minority; for example; Kingpin, Alicia Masters, Heimdall, etc.
#16 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: It's not debatable and you're wrong.  http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-women-minority-writers-obstacles-hollywood.html
 http://www.npr.org/2010/12/05/131444159/in-hollywood-an-urban-legend-worth-a-fact-check?ft=1&f=10
 
 How many times have Hollywood white washed entire films when the original involved characters that weren't Caucasian? The fact is there have been many interviews where people have come out and said that Hollywood rarely hires minorities, and if they do not for leading roles, because they fear they'll lose money.
#17 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't we all just get along?
#18 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

Back on topic, Bane's dad is King Snake? He's British isn't he?
#19 Posted by iLLituracy (13522 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@iLLituracy: It's not debatable and you're wrong.  http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-women-minority-writers-obstacles-hollywood.html http://www.npr.org/2010/12/05/131444159/in-hollywood-an-urban-legend-worth-a-fact-check?ft=1&f=10  How many times have Hollywood white washed entire films when the original involved characters that weren't Caucasian? The fact is there have been many interviews where people have come out and said that Hollywood rarely hires minorities, and if they do not for leading roles, because they fear they'll lose money.
Both of those articles have nothing to do with the subject, they have to do with the highest grossing actors in Hollywood and women writers, not switching characters that were originally a minority ethnicity to a Caucasian.

Are there more white people in the business? Yes. Does that mean they're taking black roles? No. Is that the case when it comes specifically to comic book movies? Hell no, in fact it's the other way around. More often than not they switch out a character that was originally white and make him another ethnicity.
#20 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care what ethnicity they are as long as they do the character justice...
#21 Posted by Billy Batson (56840 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
I don't care what ethnicity they are as long as they do the character justice...

pretty much this

#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares, if the actor makes it work then it works. Give it a chance.

Moderator
#23 Posted by Billy Batson (56840 posts) - - Show Bio

and movies aren't always accurate...

#24 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't see any white folks get up and leave during Thor because Heimdall was a black dude...
#25 Posted by LordMaverick (5174 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the Nick Fury thread all over again..............
#26 Posted by FortressoftheMoon (678 posts) - - Show Bio

So what if some redcoat is going to play a latino based villian. First of all, even though I'm American i have to admit brits are outright the best actors aside from South Asians. Bane is performed by Tom Hardy. Watch Branson. Enough said.

 

I can understand if the new Old Spice guy was Zack Synder's Superman (Even though I would love to see that) or but this is something not even  worth making a big deal about. Caucasians has been doing ethnics roles since the bible. Look at Moses. It's nothing new and it will continue to happen till the zombie apocolaypse. All you can do is either make an ethnic correct movie yourself or just deal with it and move on.

 

I find the hilarious when caucasians do an ethnic role and just plain suck. I find the movies more enjoyable cause its something to laugh at when I high watching it.

 

- Chris Lambert as Raiden in Mortal Kombat

- All the kids in The Last Airbender

- Neal McSomething as M. Bison in Legend of Street Fighter

- Karl Urban as whatever in Pathfinder (It was still an epic fail)

 

Besides Danny Trejo is not cutting his hair for any part so blame him for not being Bane or the brazilian dude who was Xerxes in 300.

 

Everybody Chill the f**k out, I got this
#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

...I gotta say, I don't like the change either. 


I'm sure he's a very good actor, really I am. But Bane is like, the only popular Hispanic comic book character. To me (I'm Cuban, btw), that kinda makes me feel bad.... Idk, I'm not saying I'll ban the movie or anything like that, I just think the Hispanics got cheated out of finally seeing one of our own kicking some ass. I hope he at least ACTS like he's Spanish. 

But yeah, I'm not hating on Nolan or the WB, but I just don't appreciate the change. 
#28 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really confused.
#29 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy: When discussing representation of minorities and racebending in comic book movies, one has to discuss those issues when it comes to Hollywood in general because comic book films are a part of that industry. The fact is in both industries, comic book and film, are regressive when it comes to depicting minorities. Marvel studios has done a pretty good job with hiring minorities, but the fact is minorities are often misrepresented in films and comics.

 http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2004/10/us_minority_act.php
 http://alyssaconner2.wordpress.com/2009/11/09/hollywood-lacks-diversity/
 http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/05/06/the-racial-politics-of-regressive-storytelling/
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmT0uZY2Omg

It shouldn't matter what color an actor/actress is, but in the end of the day minorities hardly get hired, and plenty of times it's intentionally.
#30 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: There were a lot of people complaining.
#31 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio

 
 

 

 

Bane's Father. He's British.

#32 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: Yeah, this has already been discussed in previous threads. It still doesn't invalidate my points.
#33 Posted by Wattup (648 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:

 

 

Bane's Father. He's British.

In that first picture, it looks like the cobra tattooed on his chest wants to eat his nipple.
#34 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@Jake Fury: There were a lot of people complaining.

Where? On a bunch of message boards? Who cares? Hollywood doesn't give a damn about them beause they not a majority of the fan abse. Hollywood cares about the casual fans. They're people going to these movies and 95% probably aren't familiar with the characters. They're the consumers for the product and therefore the target audiences. Whether that's right or wrong is really meaningless.
#35 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I just have to ask the question, and then I'm ducking out of this thing while I still can...


Is anybody really contemplating (like... for serious) not watching the next Nolan Batman movie JUST because Tom Hardy is playing Bane and is not South American?  O___O
#36 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix: No one has said that.

@Jake Fury: That was my point with racebending in Hollywood. They aim their films for the casual consumer and they believe that casting minorities, especially for leads, will cost them revenue.
#37 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11695 posts) - - Show Bio

i prefer it when filmaker's stick to the source material but if the actor is good enough than i wont complain
#38 Posted by Jake Fury (17922 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7
Ok then.
#39 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7
Okay.  Whew.
Just checking.
#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27217 posts) - - Show Bio

Good god, and the guy that's plaing Captain America is from Massachusetts and not New York how terrible...

Online
#41 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19709 posts) - - Show Bio

Well let's see now, Sean Connery ( who is a Scottish man) has played a Russian Submarine commander, a British secret agent,  Agamemnon, a Franciscan monk and a Spanish immortal. 

Connery also didn't alter his Scottish accent for any of the above performances.
#42 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: Look, my problem when racebending is done is that they often change minority characters from the source material to white.
#43 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11695 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: Look, my problem when racebending is done is that they often change minority characters from the source material to white.

so you dont care about source material per se you just dont like it when a character is made white? isnt that racist?
#44 Posted by Nighthunter (28561 posts) - - Show Bio

I ain't gonna complain because they cast an actor of Hardy's caliber for the villain role and I'm latino
#45 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt: I'm the racist because I see that Hollywood often makes minority characters white? Yeah, that makes total sense.
#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27217 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt: I'm the racist because I see that Hollywood often makes minority characters white? Yeah, that makes total sense.
Even thought Kingpin, Hemdiall and Fury where made black?
Online
#47 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11695 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt: I'm the racist because I see that Hollywood often makes minority characters white? Yeah, that makes total sense.

 
actually it does. Racism is having a negative or uninformed prejudice/bias against a certain race. you said that your problem is with racebending with movies is when they make a character white not when they do the opposiste. so technically your both racist
#48 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt: So I guess MLK was racist when he spoke about inequality. 
 
@spiderbat87: I have no problem with them changing the ethnicity of characters. My problem is that it's done often to hire white actors. There are a bunch of films that I like where they change the main character's race to white. My problem is that it's done too much to make characters white and thus minorities are under represented and are less likely to be hired.
#49 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27217 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt: So I guess MLK was racist when he spoke about inequality. 
 
@spiderbat87: I have no problem with them changing the ethnicity of characters. My problem is that it's done often to hire white actors. There are a bunch of films that I like where they change the main character's race to white. My problem is that it's done too much to make characters white and thus minorities are under represented and are less likely to be hired.
So making them black is all good but whites a no no?
Online
#50 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: What are you talking about? All? All what? Those 3 characters?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.