Has he gone soft?

#1 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read Secret Six yet but plan to but my only concern is the way I've heard Bane portaryed. He has a paternal love for Scandal Savage he has helped Gotham during Battle For The Cowl I read Knightfall and remember him as a brutal son of a bitch and now apparently he's gone soft and it seems wrong for a Batman villian.

#2 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked him before Secret Six. I wouldn't say he's gone soft, but I may not be the best judge. He regularly dismembers his enemies, but that's just physical violence and may not reflect the mentality you're looking for. I suggest reading  the comic and deciding for yourself.

#3 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

He is more of an anti-hero now. He is not a superhero or hero, but from what I have read of him in secret six, he is fighting guys will twisting necks, ripping off limbs and throwing people out windows. So he is still somewhat the same, he is just no longer the hardened criminal with no disregard for others. He now cares about people.

#4 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say he cares about people. He cares about one person and respects Batman (which has only actually shown itself in one issue).

#5 Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio

Simone has taken Bane's character to a whole new level. There is only right and wrong with him, no grey area. He's always been a mixture of brutality and intelligence, Simone just added a whole bunch more to the mix. As Buckshot said, He respects Batman, and in turn does have a certain respect for the city the Bat spent years protecting. He is off of venom (for now, or did he use it in issue 9? I haven't read 10 yet) and a clearer mind.

Maybe he was never meant to be a villain, but the venom just skewed his morality a little.

Staff
#6 Posted by EisforExtinction (1863 posts) - - Show Bio

Scandal: "Bane do you have a real name?"
Bane: "Yes. It is Bane."

#7 Edited by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

very unfornute fad of turning villians into anti-heroes they are DC universe villians they should be sick and demented any body who wants to cripple Batman is a bad guy and should be treated as such.

#8 Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio
johnny_spam said:
very unfornute fad of turning villians into anti-heroes they are DC universe villians they should be sick and demented any body who ... [more]
Drugs make you do wicked things....
Secondly, although Bane did "break the Bat" he did it for his own personal gain feeling that he could run Gotham better than anyone else. He wanted power, and to get that power, Batman had to be out of the way. If he REALLY wanted to cripple the Bat, he would have told everyone that Bruce Wayne was Batman, which he figured out with ease.
Bane is incredibly intelligent and not enough people give him credit for it.

Thirdly, read Secret Six, the guy is still brutal as hell. Bane works better as a half @ssed hero than a villain anyway.
Staff
#9 Posted by johnny_spam (2020 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
johnny_spam said: very unfornute fad of turning villians into anti-heroes they are DC universe villians they should be sick and demented any ... [more]

I know he's smart and that's why I Liked him as a villian he was someone who could have Batman mentally and physically challenged but still at least there was Dr. Hurt in R.I.P.  and who knows maybe he'll sell out the Secret Six
#10 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure Bane's an antihero (or, he is, but not in the sense of someone doing good in an unorthodox way, like Punisher, which is how I think people usually  mean "antihero"; more, he's a central character who is not a hero and for the most part does not have the normal heroic qualities, though strangely enough he probably has the most on the team, which would technically make him closer to a legitimate hero than an antihero). Just because someone is a villain doesn't mean they'll kill everything that breathes. Bad guys can have lines they won't cross and personal relationships they protect too. It betters their character. And also makes it more shocking when you meet the badguys that don't have these limits.

#11 Posted by inferiorego (28275 posts) - - Show Bio
@Buckshot: I like the idea that he fell into heroism right now, without realizing it.
Staff
#12 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

He might be struggling with heroism now, which makes for good reading. Catman toyed with the idea first but I think Bane is the closest of the 6. 

#13 Posted by Omega King (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane has the morals of a hero, but the methods of a villain

#14 Posted by Andferne (38808 posts) - - Show Bio
Omega King said:
Bane has the morals of a hero, but the methods of a villain
So he is Wolverine now? :P
lol
#15 Posted by Omega King (156 posts) - - Show Bio
Andferne said:
Omega King said: Bane has the morals of a hero, but the methods of a villain So he is Wolverine ... [more]
Yeah, but without the claws and healing factor. I guess.
#16 Posted by jdnice11 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

You Know, like many Characters in any comic book story arc, there are many renditions of one character...  
Bane is one of my favorite characters... 
I like his Venom, Strength and Intellegents in the comic, but no matter how many people tell it like that, when it comes to games or Movies he is just made out to be a BRUTE... 
So i dont think he as gone "Soft" i think he doesnt get the credit he deserves! 
#17 Posted by .Longshot. (5245 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hear anybody advocating for Deadshot. That's the whole concept of Secret Six. I still haven't read it (believe me, I'm trying to get my hands on it) but it seems like all of the characters are written as they should be. I trust Gail Simone. 

#18 Posted by SuperTide (15578 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he's gone soft. I wish he were even more brutal.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.