DKR Bane's voice: Hit or Miss?

#1 Posted by louismonette (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey! Well i must admit, in the opening of DKR, when we first hear Bane...i was really confused and troubled. Not really what i was expecting when i heard his voice. At first it was a complete miss. But more the movie went on more i got use to it and his voice really became a character of its own. At they end i really respect nolan's choice on Bane's voice. It really adds a classy and intellectual puzzle piece to a very complex and multi dimensionel character. Its is just very confusing at first interposing such a voice to such a brutal looking person. But my hat is off to Nolan. What about you? Hit or miss? Me its a hit.

#2 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

Sean Connery voice is a home run.

#3 Posted by ApeKindaBaked (104 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam: Sean Connery? Do you just... not know accents? Sean Connery is Scottish. Bane is hispanic. Nothing alike. He sound's more like Dr. Henry Killinger from Venture Bros.

#4 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApeKindaBaked said:

@AweSam: Sean Connery? Do you just... not know accents? Sean Connery is Scottish. Bane is hispanic. Nothing alike. He sound's more like Dr. Henry Killinger from Venture Bros.

Tom Hardy isn't Hispanic.

#5 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I liked the Sean Connery accent.

#6 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84372 posts) - - Show Bio

Hit for me.

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehhhhh

#8 Posted by _Marco_Smith_ (1621 posts) - - Show Bio

I had a hard time understanding him when he used more than four words.

#9 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Marco_Smith_ said:

I had a hard time understanding him when he used more than four words.

same here.

#10 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was super classy and I loved the dissonance between his appearance and voice. Really forces you to think for a moment about the character.

#11 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

I got mad cause he is Hispanic and a white guy played him but whatever it was ok.

#12 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@CODYSF: Banes dad is British isn't he?

#13 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duke_Nasty said:

@CODYSF: Banes dad is British isn't he?

he still Hispanic whith a hispanic accent and he haves brown skin not white.

#14 Posted by leych (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Miss.

I felt it didn't fit the character and I never really understood what he was saying.

#15 Posted by Hector (446 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was great. Added to his terrifying look.

#16 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApeKindaBaked said:

@AweSam:

Lol I never said he was. I said Bane was hispanic. But I swear Hardy used this exact voice xD

Bane sounded a bit like Tom Hardy since he was the actor, not some Spanish guy.

#17 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

He sounded like Sean Connery talking through a drive-thru speaker.

"Ah, Batman, would you like fries with that?"

#18 Posted by TheReaper111 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApeKindaBaked: hahahahaha!!!

#19 Posted by mathematicscore (167 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApeKindaBaked: In an interview Tom Hardy said he based it on a famous Irish Bare-knuckle boxer. Bane's nationality is clearly altered in the Nolan-verse, from the comic, where he grew up in a south american prison.

#20 Posted by Joygirl (18090 posts) - - Show Bio

Both. It didn't fit the Bane we all know, but it was marvelous for the character Nolan created and called Bane... when you could understand him.

He sounded like Ian McKellan doing his worst Sean Connery impression, with a bucket over his head and a mouth full of whipped cream. Nonetheless, he has the second and third best lines in the movie.

"Do you... feel, in control?"

and,

"And this gives you... POWER, over me?"

First best was obviously "So that's how that feels." I lol'd in the theatre.

#21 Posted by Savage_Hawkman (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane's voice was comical.

#22 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7497 posts) - - Show Bio

Add a S to that Hit.

#23 Posted by OmegaTheDestroyer (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, it was a good off-set to him imposing physical presents.

#24 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Hit for me.

Agreed. His voice was terrifyingly AWESOME.

#25 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't bother me.

#26 Posted by ComicStooge (11825 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved his voice! Sounds a bit like mine. :3

#27 Posted by Dakk (84 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally liked Bane, finally getting a great version of the character in film since that debacle back in '97

#28 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Hit, it was cute

#29 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it.

#30 Edited by feebadger (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Both. It didn't fit the Bane we all know, but it was marvelous for the character Nolan created and called Bane... when you could understand him.

He sounded like Ian McKellan doing his worst Sean Connery impression, with a bucket over his head and a mouth full of whipped cream. Nonetheless, he has the second and third best lines in the movie.

"Do you... feel, in control?"

and,

"And this gives you... POWER, over me?"

First best was obviously "So that's how that feels." I lol'd in the theatre.

This. And his accent actually changes throughout the film. At first it is definitely Scottish, but it changes as it goes. I loved it and hated it. Found it unsettling and almost comedic at times. Can't help but think that this was the desired effect because these films definitely have a knowing sense of humour about them, because let's face it, you don't want to be taking a film about a man dressed up as a giant bat too seriously if you're a director (or a villain for that matter).

#32 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4156 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like it, I had a hard time understanding him most of the time, but that could have been the below average sound system in the theater I was in.

#33 Edited by Kilyra (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to say it was a miss for me. I LOVE the movie and really loved Bane, but I had kept myself completely spoiler free and went into the theatre expecting at least a vaguely Spanish accent. It took me a long time to get past the voice and it kept pulling me out of the movie when I couldn't help but wonder if it sounded more like Patrick Stewart or Sean Connery. When I see it next, I'm sure I'll be over it/know what I'm expecting and enjoy the movie even more, but it was a bit jarring for me. Although I do like people's points here of how the contrast between physical appearance and accent added a new layer of mystic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.