Best portrayal of Bane?

• 90 results
Edited 1 year, 29 days ago

Poll: Best portrayal of Bane? (59 votes)

DCAU 8%
Batman & Robin 2%
The Batman 3%
Batman: The Brave & The Bold 0%
Batman: Asylum and City 2%
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies 2%
Young Justice 5%
Justice League Doom 8%
The Dark Knight Rises 27%
Injustice Gods Among Us 3%
DC Universe Online 2%
Arkham Origins(before TITAN) 34%

^

#51 Edited by modernww2fare (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool said:

@transformers1024 said:

@silverpool:

Then let's bring up the fact that Batman was a total cry baby. He stopped being Batman for eight years just because the public wasn't too fond of him and his "girlfriend" died. One of the biggest things about Batman in any form of media is known for being headstrong and trying to get through his hard times. When Jason died he became much darker. When Damian died he wanted to try to bring his son back and even replaying the computer simulated to see if he could have even brought him back. He was up for weeks capturing escaped inmates from Arkham in Knightfall until he ultimately fell and lost to Bane. Other examples being Death of the Family and most importantly Court of Owls. He always tried to pull through and kept on being Batman because it was the right thing to do because he was needed. Nolan couldn't even get that right in the least.

I don't see what that has to do with the Bane conversation... but okay.

How would the most headstrong of people, in reality, deal with the person they love dying? After they chose to fight crime to make their city a better place, how would they react when the person they love is killed, when they're forced to kill the person that they hoped would save their city, and what would they do when the public is turned against them? They'd feel like they weren't actually doing any good, which Batman wasn't. He caused the joker to do all these things and he had a just reason to quit. I don't like the fact that he quit in TDKR for 8 years, but he isn't some "cry baby" for doing so. Nobody in reality could be as headstrong as Batman in the comics, nobody in reality would be STUPID enough to keep recruiting Robins when it obviously hasn't worked out so well in the past.

You talk about Nolan going for that "realism" crap, yet Nolan's Batman was very unrealistic himself! If they were realistic, then the microwave emitter in Batman Begins would have killed everybody it came near. The forensics work Batman does to find one of the Joker’s fingerprints wouldn’t happen because the Joker’s print would have been on the bullet casing, not the bullet itself. And the entirety of The Dark Knight Rises would not have happened, because nuclear fission does not work the way the movie pretends it does, the Bat would not be able to fly the way it is shown, and even someone who has had ninja training wouldn’t be able to heal from a broken spine in a matter of a few months – especially not when the only physical therapy is doing pushups and getting punched in the back. Bane being able to survive without eating or drinking due to not being able to take off his mask.. Batman getting seriously injured by a little knee to the back yet when he fell over 10 stories to save Rachel in TDK both were perfectly fine?! Batman is not meant to be a realistic character

#52 Posted by SilverPool (2434 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool said:

@transformers1024 said:

@silverpool:

Then let's bring up the fact that Batman was a total cry baby. He stopped being Batman for eight years just because the public wasn't too fond of him and his "girlfriend" died. One of the biggest things about Batman in any form of media is known for being headstrong and trying to get through his hard times. When Jason died he became much darker. When Damian died he wanted to try to bring his son back and even replaying the computer simulated to see if he could have even brought him back. He was up for weeks capturing escaped inmates from Arkham in Knightfall until he ultimately fell and lost to Bane. Other examples being Death of the Family and most importantly Court of Owls. He always tried to pull through and kept on being Batman because it was the right thing to do because he was needed. Nolan couldn't even get that right in the least.

How would the most headstrong of people, in reality, deal with the person they love dying? After they chose to fight crime to make their city a better place, how would they react when the person they love is killed, when they're forced to kill the person that they hoped would save their city, and what would they do when the public is turned against them? They'd feel like they weren't actually doing any good, which Batman wasn't. He caused the joker to do all these things and he had a just reason to quit. I don't like the fact that he quit in TDKR for 8 years, but he isn't some "cry baby" for doing so. Nobody in reality could be as headstrong as Batman in the comics, nobody in reality would be STUPID enough to keep recruiting Robins when it obviously hasn't worked out so well in the past.

You talk about Nolan going for that "realism" crap, yet Nolan's Batman was very unrealistic himself! How could his broken back heal so quickly, what is he Wolverine? How does Nolan's Bane survive without eating or drinking due to not being able to take off his mask? How does Batman get seriously injured by a little knee to the back yet when he fell over 10 stories to save Rachel in TDK both were perfectly fine?!

That part was total BS. That was also really disappointing for me. I was thinking Bruce would be down in that pit, taking a few years to recover, like Knightfall, then he'd return to Gotham as a much darker Batman. Instead, they said that he had a "displaced vertebrae" so that they could try to excuse him recovering in like 2 weeks. Then he spent a few months trying to climb a rope then make a jump that probably any serious athlete like Bruce could make.
Lol, Nolan Bane probably uses a G-Tube XD
I don't think the knee part should have even been in TDKR. You could barely notice it in TDK and it really would have been simpler to just retcon it because it didn't have an impact on either of the films.

#53 Edited by Deranged Midget (17987 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham Origins.

#54 Edited by modernww2fare (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool said:

@modernww2fare said:

@silverpool said:

@transformers1024 said:

@silverpool:

You talk about Nolan going for that "realism" crap, yet Nolan's Batman was very unrealistic himself! How could his broken back heal so quickly, what is he Wolverine? How does Nolan's Bane survive without eating or drinking due to not being able to take off his mask? How does Batman get seriously injured by a little knee to the back yet when he fell over 10 stories to save Rachel in TDK both were perfectly fine?!

I don't think the knee part should have even been in TDKR. You could barely notice it in TDK and it really would have been simpler to just retcon it because it didn't have an impact on either of the films.

Yeah it was unrealistic and cheesy. They should've just have Bruce beaten so badly to the point that he had to be hospitalized and question continuing the role of being Batman.

#55 Edited by Black_Arrow (4329 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool said:

@modernww2fare said:

@perethorn said:

I prefer Tom Hardy's Bane over comic book Bane.

Come at me.

What's so special about Bane from the comics?

He was beat by this guy for god's sake.

Lol that guy kicked batman ass too and he could only defeat him by more knowledge of the batcave and because the mental problems of azrael that Bane was not aware of.

Also Azrael kicked nightwing ass.

#56 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Origins

#57 Posted by modernww2fare (2092 posts) - - Show Bio
#58 Posted by RustyRoy (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

TDKR gets my vote, I think I might be one of the few people who liked Hardy's Bane.

#59 Posted by Givemefreedom (330 posts) - - Show Bio

In the batman its more,in my opinion true to the comics kind of bane.Which i find cool.

#60 Edited by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Arkham origins'.

TDKR Bane is the weakest, preferable, but not the best portrayal though.

#61 Posted by entropy_aegis (15610 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been laughing for a good 10 minutes,gotta love these experts.Take for example this guy

Batman and Robin's portrayal of Bane was the best. Nolan should have taken some notes on that movie before he started filming that dreadful Dark Knight Rises

Yeah pretty self explanatory,no need to even argue, or this one

@perethorn: So you prefer the moron who just did stuff becuase he wanted to skrew Talia and who also got beat by Catwoman.

Instead of the smart carasmatic ruler of Santa Prisca. Whose very mission is to be a 'Bane" to Batman becuase he sees Batman as the ultimate challanger to his rule.

Ya i completely see why its not like one of these is a complete shell of a character and the other is actualy interesting and has his own motovation beyond what some woman wants him to do...oh wait thats exactly whats going on here

Please tell me,where exactly did Bane display tendencies that would lead one to believe that he was a moron? he also looked pretty darn charismatic and inspiring to me and maybe you should read more on Bane instead of holding on to your battered copy of Knightfall.There's more to the character than that pitiful description you just posted.

Probably Doom because they dealt with him so poorly in the final portion of TDKR.

Bane got his ass beat by Azrael in the Knightfall. He was never some terrifying figure. The only reason he originally broke the Batman was because Batman was fighting off Arkham Inmates for weeks without rest.

Because Doom Bane clearly wasn't dealt with poorly at all ,other than ofcourse getting those tubes cut for the trillionth time.

said:

@transformers1024: and Nolan's Bane sounded like Darth Vader doing a Sean Connery impression

I dont see the problem here,both Connery and Vader are cultural icons if anything it's a compliment and beats sounding like a stereotyped luchador.

@vampire_batman said:

@silverpool: Azrael was no joke. Only reason people discredit him is because there is this current "hate anything that looks badass from the 90's" trend, which I assume Leifeld started (who I like and will probably be mocked for).

I didn't say he was a joke. He was just a replacement Batman. I don't think he could actually take on hardly any of the members of the Bat Family. He used excessive violence in fighting street thugs but didn't take on any of Batman's major rouges (IIRC) because he couldn't face them. I actually like the Azrael character, but he's no Bruce Wayne, at least during Knightfall. I don't know about him post Knightfall.

You clearly thought wrong,Azrael has defeated Batman,Nightwing,Robin,the Outsiders etc and fairly easy on certain occasions. His own personal rogues consisted of superhuman characters one of them even KO'd Deathstroke.

So no most members of the Bat family cannot beat Azrael,on the other hand Azrael can defeat most if not all them including Batman,and he can solo a good deal of them.

#62 Edited by entropy_aegis (15610 posts) - - Show Bio

Rises and Origins are the best,but Rises wins out cause it influenced Origins.BTAS was good.JL DOOM and YJ were ok,the rest suck.

#63 Edited by modernww2fare (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I could hardly take his voice seriously, and he didn't even have the same origin as his comicbook counterpart, nor was he hispanic. In TNBA he had the perfect voice (Henry Silva), it didn't sound too heavy accented nor did it sound like Sean Connery and he sounded menacing. I wasn't a fan of the tarantula mask on Tom Hardy's face either, and he should've been bigger.

#64 Edited by chrisj_1 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@al_capown:

If you had kept reading later comments you would have seen that I was indeed joking. As well, Batman is a fictional character living in a world of super villains and super powers. Not set in the real world. Batman is also a highly experienced fighter who knows multiple kinds of fighting, something he could barely do in Nolan's films. And perhaps the biggest letdown is that Batman is the Worlds Greatest Detective which Nolan barely even hinted at in the movies. He really doesn't understand the character at all.

You guys always say that Nolan's Batman isn't a detective but you guys simply just don't understand subtlety. Did you know that it was Batman that marked the mob money in The Dark Knight and tracked all of the Mob funds (on his own) including the supply handled by Lau and tipped them off to Gordon? He figured out Lau was working for the mob before Lucius could even notice the irregularities in his numbers and organized a business meeting to make sure he was right (all while nobody was even aware he was even awake and paying attention to the meeting).

Then you got things like the whole fingerprint from the bullet scene, his knowing the background of random Joker henchmen, tipping off Gordon to cops who might betray him during the Joker's hospital scheme. Mind you he caught all of them on a glance and mentioned them by name to Alfred after passing by in his car. These are random patrol men he shouldn't even have the capacity to recognize (there are hundreds of cops in the city) but he does. That's signs of eidetic memory and great scanning ability right there.

And honestly I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of the detective moments in these films. Just cause Batman isn't doing a monologue about it every 5 seconds and Nolan decided he wasn't making Sherlock Holmes in a batsuit you guys decide to complain about it.

#65 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Ok how about in the movie his only motivation is Taila everything he does is for her. Swho dosnt care about him in the least and yet he continues to fight her battles so in fact in the movie he is a glorified henchmen. Thats what makes this Bane a moron so how about you learn more about Bane and stop beating off to Nolan becuase Bane is nobodies henchmen

#66 Posted by Transformers1024 (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis:

...I really hope you saw the comment where I said I was just joking right?

#67 Edited by Transformers1024 (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

@chrisj_1:

Batman is best known for being a detective. It shows on him and it's hard to miss. The movies just hinted at it a little bit. It's his biggest character trait.

#68 Edited by SilverPool (2434 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare said:

@entropy_aegis: I could hardly take his voice seriously, and he didn't even have the same origin as his comicbook counterpart, nor was he hispanic. In TNBA he had the perfect voice (Henry Silva), it didn't sound too heavy accented nor did it sound like Sean Connery and he sounded menacing. I wasn't a fan of the tarantula mask on Tom Hardy's face either, and he should've been bigger.

Do you mean bigger as in he should have used Venom, and had CGI? Or do you mean Hardy should have gained more weight for the role? Hardy was pretty huge, I don't know if he could have really gained much more than that.

#69 Edited by modernww2fare (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool said:

@modernww2fare said:

Do you mean bigger as in he should have used Venom, and had CGI? Or do you mean Hardy should have gained more weight for the role? Hardy was pretty huge, I don't know if he could have really gained much more than that.

Not necessarily venom, I mean he was shorter than Bale!! Bane should tower over Batman.

#70 Posted by SilverPool (2434 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: Yeah even though Tom Hardy is a good actor, maybe they should have picked someone taller than Bale for the role. Or made him appear taller without practical effects.

Isn't Bale not really all that tall anyways?

#71 Edited by entropy_aegis (15610 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Ok how about in the movie his only motivation is Taila everything he does is for her. Swho dosnt care about him in the least and yet he continues to fight her battles so in fact in the movie he is a glorified henchmen. Thats what makes this Bane a moron so how about you learn more about Bane and stop beating off to Nolan becuase Bane is nobodies henchmen

Watch the movie again ,preferably in slow motion since you seem to be a slow learner,and not being drunk would also help. Bane was the ONLY person Talia DID care about,so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Bane did everything because he believed in a cause not Talia,again maybe you should try to comprehend stuff before you go passing an opinion.

I have read every comic featuring Bane,maybe it's you who needs to do some learning.

The voice was the most distinguished part of the performance,it's iconic on it's own at this point. The other things you just mentioned are what only comic fans complain about,and frankly I'm glad they didn't go that direction,Bane needed to break the stigma that has been attached to him.

#72 Edited by ganon15 (2181 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@lordofthenorth said:

Watch the movie again ,preferably in slow motion since you seem to be a slow learner,and not being drunk would also help. Bane was the ONLY person Talia DID care about,so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Bane did everything because he believed in a cause not Talia,again maybe you should try to comprehend stuff before you go passing an opinion.

I have read every comic featuring Bane,maybe it's you who needs to do some learning.

@modernww2fare said:

The voice was the most distinguished part of the performance,it's iconic on it's own at this point. The other things you just mentioned are what only comic fans complain about,and frankly I'm glad they didn't go that direction,Bane needed to break the stigma that has been attached to him.

This is COMICvine, what do you expect? of course these people will rightfully criticize his depiction. If they wanted a sean connery-sound alike then they should've just went to Sean Connery himself and ask him to play Bane instead lol

#73 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I expected more love for Danny "Machete" Trejo's voice portrayal of Bane in Young Justice.

#74 Posted by modernww2fare (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace20xd6 said:

Man, I expected more love for Danny "Machete" Trejo's voice portrayal of Bane in Young Justice.

for once, I wish YJ got a lot more votes on this thread.

#75 Posted by chrisj_1 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: Yeah even though Tom Hardy is a good actor, maybe they should have picked someone taller than Bale for the role. Or made him appear taller without practical effects.

Isn't Bale not really all that tall anyways?

He's 6ft tall and that's fairly tall above average I guess and Tom Hardy is 5'9"

#76 Posted by chrisj_1 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@chrisj_1:

Batman is best known for being a detective. It shows on him and it's hard to miss. The movies just hinted at it a little bit. It's his biggest character trait.

First off, everything I mentioned isn't just a hint that's directly showing that he is infact brilliant with great observation and investigation skills solving issues that the cops can't seem to handle with all their legitimate detectives and labs to work with.

Second, that being his biggest character trait is suggestive maybe about a 3rd of his comic book stories show legitimate (and I mean completely lacking in PIS) detective work and even then for a lot of them it's not the bulk of those stories anyways. And by your standards pretty much none of Batman's tv or movie portrayals show him actually being a detective then. Look at all the sources you can mention from any single (and I say single because it isn't a real argument to compare a trilogy of movies to a long running tv series) episode of TAS and the level of detective skill (that is actually shown not just him simply saying he figured something out) is exactly the same if not less than Nolan's Batman.

#77 Edited by Transformers1024 (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

@chrisj_1:

I'm comparing the movies to the comics. But any of the animated shows/movies do show him being a detective. As well, I've already made my point in later comments explaining why Nolan doesn't understand these characters at all.

All in all, I don't have the time to argue with a Nolan fanboy. Bye.

#78 Posted by chrisj_1 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@chrisj_1:

I'm comparing the movies to the comics. But any of the animated shows/movies do show him being a detective. As well, I've already made my point in later comments explaining why Nolan doesn't understand these characters at all.

All in all, I don't have the time to argue with a Nolan fanboy. Bye.

I'm not a Nolan fanboy actually I prefer the Arkham interpretations of all these characters to be honest save for maybe Liam Neeson's Ra's al Ghul. Look all I'm asking for is sources to back up your claims because I believe in objectivity over simple bias when it comes to arguments I want you to prove me wrong that's all I ever do on these threads find someone who can prove me wrong so I can learn something but frankly you aren't giving me anything dude.

#79 Posted by chrisj_1 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024: Again, sorry if you take what I'm saying the wrong way. I've been taking a college rhetoric class and it's gotten me into picking apart arguments and formulating sort of a critical precis when it comes to points I read on the internet. After all we are all nerds here, I can't help but wish for others to class up the arguments with a bit of objective reasoning and rhetorical appeals. If we all did that arguments can end on a more respectable note instead of one simply insulting the intelligence of or applying labels to someone they simply don't have an understanding of yet. (That's not specifically directed at you it just seems to happen often on this and any other discussion site)

#80 Posted by Transformers1024 (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

@chrisj_1:

I like the way you think. I'm in High School and I love debate class and I'm hoping the college I want to go to has a team. But personally though, I hate debating these movies. I've done it too many times over at ScreenRant. But on any of the other forums around here I'm defiantly up for debating just about anything!

#81 Posted by chrisj_1 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024: Glad we have an understanding now then. Also I guess I see what you mean about debating movies because even if it doesn't fall into the usual internet chaos we can go on for hours about these topics.

#82 Posted by Transformers1024 (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

@chrisj_1: As weird as this may sound, every time I debate those Batman movies I could swear my arguments get lazier and lazier since I've said it all once before on some other thread. It's the only topic I don't think I can take any more of. Everything else nerdy I love to discuss. Comics, movies, shows, games I could go on and on about.

#83 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

This Bane needs more love.

#84 Edited by redleader1 (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool: what About jean makes him look weak he had a lot of tech plus he could kill jean with more prep.

#85 Posted by redleader1 (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: bane in knightfall is great but I do like his evolution as we saw bits if a nicer person In knightfall well at least loyal.

#87 Edited by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

Origins hands down. The whole game through, he was brilliant. And I gotta admit his last boss fight..lets just say the last time a game made me jump like that was Resident Evil 4. Favorite character in the game.

#89 Posted by tupiaz (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordofthenorth:

Yes I know Batman Forever and Batman and Robin were godawful, but if they found a different director and much better writers and better cast, they could have made a better 5th movie.

You would also have a totally different movie.

#90 Posted by Batmanx2005 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate The batman Verizon of bane because first of all he look like hellboy son using steroid mix with urine which gross me out and why his skin red that really a copycat to hulk I mean the body look exactly like the knightfall volume 1 cover but why can't they make him look like ban in the comics. And 3 why in the world batman chin look like stone knife ? I think how batman should defeat bane by sneaking behind him and stabbing his tubes. And he sound like he was raise in prison somewhere in asia . The best was arkham origin because the voice was perfect and look is like bane . That how the Nolan bane should had look like.

#91 Edited by Transformers1024 (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: That's exactly what I wished had happen for those movies.

#92 Edited by redleader1 (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@transformers1024: I agree hell the dark knight returns did a great job if showing why he would quit even in the comics despite not quoting after Jason he still was trying to hard and would become a criminal without tim to help.

#93 Posted by tupiaz (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: That's exactly what I wished had happen for those movies.

My point was you could easily ending up with a nolan type of movie instead.

#95 Posted by modernww2fare (2092 posts) - - Show Bio

No Love for this Bane?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.