Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

Bane's Best Battles

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

My latest blog... Enjoy!

Bane's Best Battles

The man who broke the Bat will face-off with Bruce Wayne on the big screen this July, and now is the perfect time to do your homework by diving into the villain's extensive comic book history. Bane's dark and brilliant mind will make Batman's life a nightmare in director Christopher Nolan's final film installment, but it's his sheer strength and skill that will prove to be Wayne's ultimate obstacle. Bane is infamous for duking it out with The Dark Knight, but Batman is hardly the only man to get slugged in the face a few times by the villain. Grab some popcorn and enjoy the violence as I review Bane's best battles.
    ****"Best battles" will be a weekly segment. I plan to cover all of the basics (Wolverine, Spider-Man, Batman, Captain America, Hulk, etc) but if there's a character you really want to see, please let me know!****
    VS Batman, Detective Comics #701

Allied with the legendary Ra's al Ghul, Bane returns to Gotham City and has an unforgettable fight with Batman on the docks. The two narrowly escape an explosion and have a contest of skill along the water, countering and blocking strikes from their opponent. Bane finally gains the edge when he dodges a few batarangs and connects with a swift jump quick. In true villain fashion, Bane tries to take his time with Wayne, attempting to slowly drown his longtime enemy. Batman remembers the death of his parents (for the millionth time) and overcomes Bane, landing a few brutal hits and eventually dropping him with a kick. Bane stumbles onto a piece of debris and floats away as Batman stands victorious.
    VS Nightwing (Dick Grayson), Batman: Bane
    Picking up directly after the events of Detective Comics #701, Bane, exhausted and floating on debris, floats into the path of a ship. Like the boss that he is, Bane hops and on-board and takes over the place with ease. But this isn't your every day ship. It turns out the vessel is carrying nuclear supplies, and Bane wants to use the vehicle as a bomb. Batman won't have any of that nuclear nonsense, but the original Robin, Dick Grayson, busts onto the scene first. Not once, but twice Bane proves that in a direct match of purely physical might and skill, Nightwing doesn't stand much of a chance against the powerhouse. An elbow to the face hurts, but Bane's verbal insult must have hurt a lot more. "But you are not the Batman. So to me, you are nothing!" Don't worry, Grayson, pappa Wayne drops in to save the day. He smacks Bane around for a bit and manages to prevent the nuclear attack on Gotham. Just another example of why the hero deserves the title "The Goddamn Batman."
    VS Batman, Detective Comics #736
    Bane leaps into Gotham City during the events of "No Man's Land" and is dead-set on claiming what he believes to be his territory. But as always, The Dark Knight stands in his way. The two slug it out in the slushy sewers and Bane manages to elude Wayne with an explosive. The two meet face-to-face shortly after in a warehouse, and so begins an awesomely destructive bout between the two. They smash one another across the room and both land their fair share of painful strikes, but Batman lands a devastating combo to Bane's face in the end. Still standing and ready for more, Bane tells Batman he has an ace up his sleeve: keep fighting and risk losing, or go defuse dynamite he planted under a Nun's soup kitchen. Naturally, Batman leaves. You're such a crafty fellow, Bane. The only thing that would make this fight any better is if Mike Deodato Jr illustrated it. Oh, wait...
    VS Azrael (Jean Paul Valley), Azrael #36-40
    Azrael beat Bane to a pulp in "Knightfall" after he forced to fiend to suffer withdrawal from venom, and Bane isn't one to forgive and forget. When Bane resurfaces, Jean-Paul Valley tells Batman he's up to the task. Bane says he no longer needs the drug and considers it a weakness, but that's not stopping him from selling it to a small army. So begins three fantastic and must read fights between Azrael and Bane. Bane quickly takes the first against an injured JPV, but the second is absolutely brutal. The two duke it out along the cliffs, and when JPV distracts Bane with a case of venom, it allows him to send the two flying off a cliff. Both combatants slowly rise, but it's Azrael that delivers the final strike. Round three picks up shortly later, but an aftershock causes Bane to bump his head and, in turn, lose the battle. These 5 issues are something every Bane fan should read at least once.
    VS Man-Bat,Gotham Underground #1
    Bane has a thing for humiliating some of Batman's lamer enemies. He tortured Penguin during the end of Secret Six, brutalized Killer Croc twice, and now he drops Man-Bat with literally no effort. This well-known Bat foe has the appearance of something fierce, but it's nothing Bane can't overcome by creating a fist and sending it via first class delivery to Man-Bat's face. Better luck next time, Man-Bat.
    VS Killer Croc,Batman #489 & Detective Comics#660
    Killer Croc (Waylon Jones) is a villain that is written all over the place in regards to power levels. One day he's a force that requires a small amount of explosives to take down, the next an unarmed Harvey Dent can embarrass him. But during "Knightfall," Croc proved he was able to hold his own against Jean-Paul Valley and Robin. The duo could barely hurt him, but then big daddy Bane stepped in. He took some venom and completely wrecked Croc. He smacked him around, broke his arm, and then booted him into a pile of stuffed animals, leaving the green villain broken and helpless. The line "You're too ugly to hit" was just icing on the bloody cake. But that was just round 2. After taking down Robin, Bane found himself in the sewers, Killer Croc's territory. Despite the home field advantage, Bane still gets the jump on Waylon, but Croc manages to destroy Bane's venom supply. Unfortunately for him, this doesn't even the odds nearly as much as he had hoped. Bane further injures Croc's broken arm and proves that even without venom his uppercuts are more than enough to put a hurting on Croc. The two go back and forth before tumbling into the water below and becoming separated. Bane has a great track record against the Bat family and their villains, but he should be grateful he's never had to face Deathstroke or Deadshot. That would certainly not end well for The Dark Knight Rises villain.
    Bane vs Catman, Secret Six #35
    After learning he's destined to end up in Hell regardless of his actions, Bane takes a moment to reevaluate what's important to him, and the answer is obvious: breaking the Bat. But he already broke Batman's spine, and he realizes that in the long run the crippling move accomplished nothing. Now, Bane wants to destroy Batman by killing his loved ones, a weakness Bane became aware of when he jumped into action to defend his own date. While sharing this idea, Catman tries to reenact how a fight with Batman would go. Bane casually withstands strike after strike, even calling one "dainty" until he decides he has had enough and puts an end to the assault. Almost nonchalantly, Bane catches Catman's fist and crushes it, leaving Catman at his mercy until he completes talking about his plan.
    VS Batman, Batman #497
    Ah, the infamous moment that put Bane on everyone's radar. The first half of "Knightfall" was all about Bane's elaborate plan to destroy The Dark Knight. To beat the great detective, Bane forced Wayne through a cruel and unrelenting gauntlet. He created a massive breakout and Batman, already tired from previous events, was now forced to push himself beyond his own limits as he traveled the city and attempted to stomp the rampaging threats including Joker, Scarecrow, Amygdala, and much, much more. When all is said and done, Bane is waiting for Wayne in the comfort of his own mansion. In a futile last effort, the weakened Batman tries to stop the villain, but Bane is simply too much for the severely exhausted Wayne. What ensues is a horrific beating through the mansion and into the batcave. When Bane is finished toying with Batman, he finally lifts Wayne over his head and crushes the detective's spine over his knee. Bane has accomplished what dozens of villains have aimed to accomplish: he broke the Bat. Fret not, Bruce, Jean-Paul puts an equally bad hurting back on Bane for ya.
    VS Azrael, Detective Comics #666 & Batman #500
    With Bruce Wayne out of commission, Jean-Paul Valley steps up to the plate and puts on the cowl. The old cowl isn't enough for him, though, so Jean-Paul makes some awesome upgrades, including assorted weapons, claws, and armor. The violent hero rushes into action against Bane, but quickly realizes he needs more upgrades. He gets some good slashes and stabs in, but Bane almost chokes him out and eventually Azrael suffers a devastating fall. Next time the two face off, JPV decides to put a few more advantages into his deliciously dark take on Batman's costume. Bane gets the edge, but with the flash of a light, JPV blinds Bane and is able to severe the tubes that provide venom directly to his brain. Suffering withdrawal from the drug for the first time, Bane turns into an emotional mess and gets savagely beaten across the city by Azrael.
    VS Joker, Detective Comics #740
    A physical confrontation between Bane and Joker would have a rather obvious outcome, andDetective Comics #740 shows us just how fun it is to watch Bane slug Joker around. The Clown Prince of Crime tries to distract Bane with banter and pull a weapon, but Bane's too focused to let a mere insult or two phase him. Instead, he has a grand old time punching Joker in the face numerous times before the Bat foe and Harley Quinn are allowed to leave.
    VS Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight #6
    While I can't say I'm a fan of the New 52 Bane so far, there's no denying the fact that his debut made quite an impact. Bane is now sporting an image similar to the one he often receives in media... and that's a lumbering roid' head (Batman: Arkham Asylum, Young Justice). Bane reveals he's behind the new toxin/venom circulating, and promptly proceeds to put a major hurting on Batman. Wayne barely escapes with an electric attack, but now we're left waiting to see how it'll conclude in the next issue. My guess? Batman wins. While Bane is clearly being built as a purely physical threat in the new 52 (no skill displayed whatsoever), he's at least still a genius and apparently this venom will further increase his IQ. If he's so smart, why can't he see how ridiculous this new outfit looks?
    This is barely scratching the surface of the many times Bane has been forced into fisticuffs (Judoman, Hourman, Black Canary, etc.), so if your favorite didn't make the cut, don't forget to talk about it in the comments section below!
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    You have to admit that the final fight is there just because Bane was winning.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

I will never forgive you for the second battle. Never.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_: I was torn between that and Tommy Jagger :P

@ReVamp: D:

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: Don't "D:" me.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: :(

Better?

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: Only if you make one of these on Nighting by blackmail "request".

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: I can definitely do that!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: Yuppie. Kid in a candy store and all that.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ReVamp: I just plan on including the times Slade smacked him around :D

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Chaos Prime

Nice work..Well done :)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n: I'm going to request a e-restraining order.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Chaos Prime: Thank you. Do you have a favorite?

@ReVamp: *GASP*

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Bane's best fight. 

No Caption Provided
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_: Remember that time I said I hate you?

I firmly stand by it.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Ferro Vida

Excellent thread, sir 

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: Thanks. Do you have a favorite fight with sir Bane?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    The brief father vs son in King Snake vs Bane during Gotham Knights is worth a mentioning, too.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_: One-shotting Man-Bat > anything you're going to suggest.

Anything.

Hulk vs Ultimates? Man-Bat vs Bane is greater.

Rhino vs Silver Surfer is the only exception, though. Nothing can top a gumball machine being used as a weapon.

But really, if you have scans, share them, sir! Otherwise, I'll be forced to dive into my collection and make them myself... and you've seen how those turn out. /cries

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n said:

@Ferro Vida: Thanks. Do you have a favorite fight with sir Bane?

Honestly? I loved the fight from the newer animated series. Granted, it wasn't so much Bane as it was the Hulk, but it was still badass and one of the biggest challenges he had faced at that point in the series.
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Ferro Vida: Young Justice, right? I haven't watched that yet. I have Justice League: Doom on my shelf and he's in that as well. But what about the comics?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Deranged Midget

Awesome thread sir! My favourite has to be Bane vs Croc or the obvious, breaking the bat's spine in #497

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @k4tzm4n: No, I meant from "The Batman". I haven't read much DC, you know that :P
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By entropy_aegis

@k4tzm4n said:

@Ferro Vida: Young Justice, right? I haven't watched that yet. I have Justice League: Doom on my shelf and he's in that as well. But what about the comics?

He meant "the Batman" series where Bane had red skin(wtf?).

You should post the Bane vs King Snake and Bane vs KGBeast bouts.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Beating down KGBeast in the laundry room was awesome, but I wasn't aiming to include all of the fights. Thus the note at the end of it to generate discussion ;)

@Deranged Midget: Thank you! Round 1 or 2 with Croc?

@Ferro Vida: :O

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Morpheus_ said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Or, because Bane had a surprisingly awesome showing. Either/or I suppose.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

@k4tzm4n said:

@entropy_aegis: Beating down KGBeast in the laundry room was awesome, but I wasn't aiming to include all of the fights. Thus the note at the end of it to generate discussion ;)

@Deranged Midget: Thank you! Round 1 or 2 with Croc?

@Ferro Vida: :O

Ok,I see you have stated that Bane should be grateful that he's never had to face Slade and Floyd BUT he almost led Floyd to his death at the end of SS and ofcourse lets not forget drugging Slade in TDK#4 trollololol.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: +5 troll points.

The troll is strong in you.

BUT, someone can counter with the time Bane agreed to step out of Floyd's way. :O

I believe it went something like:

Deadshot: Get out of my way you lumbering fool.

Bane: I live to serve you. /steps aside

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: Can I say both? But the second round due to the sheer embarrassment croc endured.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By entropy_aegis

@k4tzm4n said:

BUT, someone can counter with the time Bane agreed to step out of Floyd's way. :O

LOL,and that's so not what happened.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: It's totally what happened.

/goes to edit scene on MS Paint

@Deranged Midget: hah, sure.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chaos Prime

@k4tzm4n said:

@Chaos Prime: Thank you. Do you have a favorite?

@ReVamp: *GASP*

Yep Battle against Azrael was a hum dinga for me..

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Chaos Prime: In Knightfall or Az's book?

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chaos Prime

Knightfall :)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Chaos Prime: The stalemate or the one where he beats Bane into a coma? :(

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@entropy_aegis said:

@k4tzm4n said:

LOL,and that's so not what happened.

IS IT?!

Okay, maybe it isn't.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bigcimmerian

@Morpheus_ said:

Bane's best fight.

No Caption Provided

LOL major PIS

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By ComicStooge

This song should be mandatory listening while reading this thread:

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Rumble Man

@k4tzm4n: Don't forget this one

@ComicStooge: This is more appropriate

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Stronger

@Morpheus_ said:

Lol,owned:p

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Stronger

@Morpheus_ said:

Bane's best fight.

No Caption Provided

Who is that guy who kicks the crap out of Bane?

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By darktiger

Bane is awesome

The_Soverighn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Soverighn

@Morpheus_: who was that guy

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Billy Batson
    thegirlcow_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.