Bane in Arkham Asylum/City Portrayed Wrong?

#1 Posted by PsychoJack (174 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Bane in those two games are portrayed wrong. He's basically an idiot who just runs at you and smashes and throws shit. Except for The Dark Knight Rises, I think Bane has been portrayed as an idiot outside comics from what I seen.

#2 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I found his portrayal in Arkham City to be acceptable: He was certainly intelligent, he knew what he was doing, he had a purpose, and he had his bear.

Those are all the things I look for in a good Bane. Dark Knight Rises didn't have the last one, sadly.

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

As great as a Batman writer Paul Dini is, (my personal favorite) Bane is a character he just doesn't understand. Tom Hardy's performance was truer to the character than pretty much anything I can think of.

#4 Posted by batman11223 (82 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoJack: i totally agree. And i love how they just trap him away i that toyco building towards the end of the game

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (13353 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
As great as a Batman writer Paul Dini is, (my personal favorite) Bane is a character he just doesn't understand. Tom Hardy's performance was truer to the character than pretty much anything I can think of.
What? He wrote the Batman episode "Over the Edge" where Bane was portrayed...well....it was one of his best appearances in all media.
#6 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: This.

Also, I know this is a very unpopular sentiment around here, but I don't think there's a right or wrong necessarily in portrayal of a character. Just like there have been previously funny and foppish versions of Batman (60s show) or a Batman that uses firearms (very first Batman stories) there can be multiple versions of the other characters.

#7 Posted by callsignneptune (112 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoJack: Completely agree with you.

#8 Posted by MajorMcDuffie (3 posts) - - Show Bio

There isn't really any right or wrong way to portray a superhero or villain, but I get what you mean. He wasn't portrayed in a way we would have liked to have seen and wasn't portrayed as well as he could have been.

#9 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6269 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like he was done okay. He was rather intelligent, though not much of a strategist in combat haha, but my main gripes are his ridiculous, laughable looking size and face and just his lack of strategy. Doesn't work for Bane IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.