Follow

Bane

Character » Bane appears in 1056 issues.

Born sentenced to life in prison for the crimes of his father, the boy who would be come Bane learned that the strong survive, and the strongest become king. Forging himself into the pinnacle of physical and mental potential and becoming "king" of his prison, he learned of the Batman, "king" of Gotham City . Escaping and studying his quarry, Bane challenged and defeated Batman, becoming known as "The Man Who Broke the Bat".

Bane co-creator Graham Nolan endorses Nolan's Bane

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis

Could you tell us about the creation of this character?

Bane was created to be the ultimate villain capable of bringing down The Batman. He had to be intelligent, powerful and brutal. Chuck and I discussed many aspects of the character before I set pencil to paper and designed him.

Did you know that Bane would have such an impact in Batman Legacy?

We knew he would be important in to the Knightfall storyline, but had no idea he would reach the popularity of today.

In 1997, Robert Swen played the part of Bane in Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin, what do you think of his work as Bane?

To this day neither Chuck nor I have seen the movie. It's so monumentally bad, I won't waste my time. And the character in there...is NOT the Bane we created.

2012 will be Bane's year, as Christopher Nolan has decided that he would be the new villain of the next movie (The Dark Knight Rises). You may have seen the first pictures and trailers... What do you think of Bane's look?

I like what I see so far. I understand the need to change certain things for a movie. The Batman costume of film is not that of the comics either. It's more important to get the character right.

(If you have seen the prologue of The Dark Knight Rises) What do you think of Tom Hardy's voice as Bane ? (It seems that a lot of people have had difficulties to understand him!)

Yes, it is a bit difficult, but I am not going to judge the film by a pre-release clip. There is plenty of time to tweak the sound and enhance the clarity if the director decides it's necessary.

Have you been called by DC Comics or Christopher Nolan's team to work on the character with them ?

No.

What do you think of Christopher Nolan's first two Batman movies?

I am one of the few that liked the first one (Batman Begins) is better than the second.

More generally, what do you think of the super-hero movies ?

When done well like Captain America and The Dark Knight, I like them. When done like Spider-man 3, I hate them.

SOURCE COMICBOOK MOVIE.

Hell Dixon(the other co-creator endorsed it too)

I think those complaining about Hardy's size and accent should...stop the complaining LOL.

UPDATE LOOK BELOW TO SEE WHAT CHUCK DIXON HAS TO SAY.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By jrock85

@entropy_aegis: Just realized its only a couple of months away.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

@jrock85 said:

@entropy_aegis: Just realized its only a couple of months away.

Less than 4.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By jrock85

@entropy_aegis: Oh yeah, that's right.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

In regards to Bane breaking Batman's back, was this a decision that was easily unanimous or were there some concerns between the creative staff?

It was presented to us at a summit of Bat editors and Bat writers. Denny O’Neil laid it all out for us as a loose framework including the dramatic highpoints. Over the next couple of years we riffed off that first presentation but didn’t vary from it much. What Denny presented that day was the spine for all that came next. If there was a dissenting voice, I never heard it.

Do you think Nolan will take it to the point of breaking Batman's back on screen?

No clue. From the latest trailer it certainly looks like there’s a downfall coming for Bruce Wayne. But I’m guessing like everyone else.

What is your favorite moment that proves that Bane is equipped with a superior intellect?

When he identifies Bruce Wayne as Batman just from Wayne’s body language.

Is there anything about your version of Bane that you think will be difficult to translate on film?

He’s pretty clearly drawn. Maybe his difficulty in relating to women. He was raised in an all-male world and seems flummoxed by the women he meets.

nslation to film were there any particular actors that came to mind for this role?

Not really. I was just hoping it would be someone who could act. Tom Hardy fits that description. He’s very talented.

What was your initial reaction to Tom Hardy's voice for Bane, and the new mask?

I haven’t heard enough of the voice. But his speaking voice in other movies has the right timbre. And he does accents well. His Philadelphia accent in Warriors sounded right to me, even though his character was supposed to be from Pittsburgh.

From the footage you have seen so far do you think elements of Knightfall or any other popular Batman story arcs will be used in the film?

It looks like Nolan will cherrypick a lot of dramatic highpoints from batman mythos for this movie just like he did for the others. It seems to me that he’s quite the Batman scholar.

What are some aspects of Batman that Christopher Nolan hasn't touched upon in the Nolanverse that you'd like to see?

I would love to see a good Riddler story. But almost everyone gets the Riddler wrong so maybe not.

Which Riddler story would you most like to see brought to life on the big screen?

Well, something like Die Hard 3; the best Batman and Robin/Riddler story ever put on film. Anything that utilizes the Riddler’s MO as well as that movie did.

Why do you think the Riddler has been such a challenge to get right?

The riddles have to make sense and they have to serve two purposes; to give clues about the Riddler’s crime while decoying Batman away from it at the same time. Remember, that’s what Jermey Irons did in Die Hard 3.That is a tall order. That takes some real plotting muscle. Riddler stories were the toughest for me to write but I’m glad I did them because most writers punt when it comes to the Riddler. Plus you wind up having to make up new riddles! Torture!

What are some challenges to writing characters with superior intellect?

Writing about people smarter than yourself! But a writer has the luxury of time. I can take hours to think up what seems like an off-the-cuff remark.

If you had your choice, which animation project would you prefer to begin first, your story arc on Nightwing or Knightfall?

Tough choice. I’d sure like to see Nightwing on the screen though.

Which of your Nightwing story arcs would you most like to see developed into an animated feature?

Probably that Scarecrow story where Dick is drugged to enter a disturbing fantasy world in which he never became Robin or Nightwing. Wed that to the larger Blockbuster arc and that would be one hell of a cartoon.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Edamame said:

@entropy_aegis said:

2012 will be Bane's year, as Christopher Nolan has decided that he would be the new villain of the next movie (The Dark Knight Rises). You may have seen the first pictures and trailers... What do you think of Bane's look?

I like what I see so far. I understand the need to change certain things for a movie. The Batman costume of film is not that of the comics either. It's more important to get the character right.

I like what is said here, and I completely agree with it. It is much more important to get the character's personality (and powers) down.

BUUUUUT Bane is NOT MEXICAN,this will teh suck and Hardy is too small...FAIL.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Edamame said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I like what is said here, and I completely agree with it. It is much more important to get the character's personality (and powers) down.

BUUUUUT Bane is NOT MEXICAN,this will teh suck and Hardy is too small...FAIL.

LOL

I also found it interesting that he wanted to see the Riddler. I figured that the Riddler would be a bit too similar to the Joker. Obviously, they are not identical, though, and it would have been interesting to see the Riddler.

He's obviously a big Riddler fan,possibly moreso than Bane.Comicledger(k4tz's site) did an interview with him as well and he mentioned Riddler as the character he loves to write the most.I think he wrote the Riddler Year:one one shot in one of the old Batman annuals.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

This make me feel better. At first I was real skeptical about this movie, but as of lately, I cant wait.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.