It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal, to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully.It's a port of call, a home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers.Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace.This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5.
Babylon 5 is the last of the Babylon stations, after the loss of Babylon 4 to an unknown temporal disturbance the station construction was kept to a minimum budget, and outside alien governments had to help with the funding to bring the station up to scratch. Babylon 5’s interior boasts the capacity for holding 250,000 sentients enclosed in its half a million tons of spinning metal to keep gravity a constant. While the interior main station actually spins to provide gravity, the spine of the station does not, providing a zero gravity environment for the docking bays and the fusion reaction.
The station itself is divided into several sections, each consisting of levels, with the largest amount of levels at the middle of the station, namely the blue sectors, and the smaller levels at the rear of the station, typically the brown sector.
- Blue sector houses station administration and EA personnel quarters.
- Red Sector is relegated to business and diplomatic chambers.
- Green sector contains high-security quarters for the various alien diplomats with adjustable environment quarters for ambassadors that require it.
- Both Grey and Brown Sectors were largely unfinished due to budgetary constraints.
- While most officials refer to the station as a trade center with it’s large market place and suitable meeting zones for a multitude of alien races to sell their wares, a multitude of services are available for every type of traveler.
Utilizing the Tachyon Relay System, Babylon 5 has real-time communications with the rest of the Earth Alliance and alien worlds. High-priority Gold Channels are only for high ranking official use and typically have top priority in relay routing. Commercial communications are less reliable and have much fewer channels available.
Humans or aliens entering Babylon 5 are given a credit chit. Any currency held by the being is converted to current Earth-value credits according to the currency exchange rate. The chit is also tied to a being's IdentiCard for anti forgery use. All employees on the station are payed through their credit chit and it is used as both a secure payment system as well as a bank clark of sorts.
Babylon 5 offers a multitude of entertainment opportunities, Babylon stations offer thousands of entertainment channels, while Holo-arcades and sports arenas including several "outdoor" activities in the Park. For those wanting pleasures of a more basic nature, dozens of bars are located throughout the station, and prostitutes of many species are available legally in sanctioned areas as well as a well known holo-brothel for any species to live out their fantasies that can be tailored directly to them.
The Blue sector is designed solely for nitrogen/oxygen breathers, but other areas are designed to for aliens that breath alternative atmospheres, including the Vorlon race who’s atmosphere is toxic to all other known forms of life.
- Docking Bays
- Personnel Habitation
- Babylon 5 Advisory Council Chambers
- Transient Habitation
- Diplomatic living areas for ambassadors
- Commercial Habitation
- The Bazaar - alien traders from around the galaxy ply their exotic wares here.
- Book Universe
- Casinos The casinos accept all currencies and offer games from seven systems including Joy Wheel and Blackjack. Telepaths are allowed access, but are forbidden to play. Station personnel are allowed access too, but cannot exceed a fifty credit limit.
- The Dark Star Club
- Doug's Dugout Sports Bar.
- The Eclipse Cafe
- Earhart's (Earth Alliance officer's club)
- Finagle's Place
- The Fresh Air Restaurant. The finest restaurant on station.
- The Galactic Boutique
- The Glory Shop
- The Green Tiger
- Happy Daze Bar
- Babylon 5 Museum permanent exhibition on Earth History with rotating exhibits from various worlds.
- Zocalo Cafe
- Zero-Gravity Cargo Bays and Docking
- Defense Systems
- Downbelow is a term used to describe the unused parts of the station where the homeless live in squalor. Commerce runs primarily on barter and has several illegal markets training in everything from drugs to weaponry. It is estimated that Downbelow accounts for ninety percent of the stations crime rate.