Follow

Michael Lane

Character » Michael Lane appears in 75 issues.

A former Gotham police officer that was changed into a Batman has taken the sword of Azrael as agent of the Order of Purity, from the Sacred Order of Saint Dumas.

Azrael #1 Reviewed

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Something happened when I read the Battle For The Cowl Azrael mini-series.  I liked the first issue but something just felt off.  I even told myself I'd probably pass on this series when it came out.  Obviously I didn't.  The idea or concept of "Azrael" is somewhat interesting.  Can this new series win me over?

For some reason, I just can't put my finger on what it is that I'm not digging.  I've always enjoyed Fabian Nicieza's writing.  I was actually excited when I first found out he was writing the Death's Dark Knight mini.  I think it's more that I don't really care about the character Michael Lane.  That is crucial to a series, you obviously have to like the main character or at least be interested in him.  Maybe I'm being to hard on the character?

The art by Ramon Bachs was a nice surprise.  There's something about his art that almost feels natural.  Characters feel more realistic versus having exaggerated physiques.  Throw in the colors by JD Smith and it's a very nice comic to look at.

There is an interesting twist with the 'flash-forward' we get, especially with what we see at the end.  I'm not sure if it'll be enough to bring me back for the next issue.  Probably, but we'll see when the time comes.

What did you think of the issue?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I liked the writing, but I hated the art. I'm giving this one or two more issues to fully decide how I feel about this book.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

How long will this series last when we saw him in the future he was a anit-christ still wearing his ghost Batman costume and Damian killed him:

Why give a devil worshiping maniac his own series as a hero, maybe this book would have grabbed you if he was a villain.

1sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By 1sergio

its cause hes black, isnt it, jk

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

I'll give it two or three to get me more into it.

Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Nyogtha

The art doesn't grab me, I understand the natural physique, some artist pull it off, but the interiors don't grab me. The costume came across as a burlap bag, a doctored hockey mask and a chest protector a catcher would wear. Said it before too, but it kinda seems like they are trying to grab at MoonKnight's story.

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By burr787
    I liked this book but the art was horrible. I like the character and the moral choices that he makes in the first issue. I'm going to stick with this book, I just hope that we get a better artist.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Comiclove5
    @johnny spam:
    That wasn't him that was the actually Anti-Christ.
    Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dipic
    @johnny spam said:
    "

Why give a devil worshiping maniac his own series as a hero, maybe this book would have grabbed you if he was a villain.

"
    Not canon.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mbecks14

i couldn't be more disinterested in a character than Azrael.

who wanted him to return? the art does NOT look good. i dont like it in Red Robin either, that was the only factor keeping me from picking up Red Robin, the low quality art.

hablagente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hablagente

ummmm ok the art is pretty bad, and what sucks is that I will be picking the next issue just because of what happend at the end. I mean the writing wasent that bad but if it wasent for the ending I wouldve ditched this comic. I just really hope the art gets better I REALLY HOPE SOOOOO!!!!!!

Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheSavageAssasin
    @Mbecks14 said:
    " i couldn't be more disinterested in a character than Azrael.  who wanted him to return? the art does NOT look good. i dont like it in Red Robin either, that was the only factor keeping me from picking up Red Robin, the low quality art. "
    Didn't read this agree with you on the issue of Red Robin's art though can't stand but still pick it up cuz i love the story and writing and can put up with the artist enough to enjoy the book
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Media_Master

He sounds like a mix of other characters (Batman and Moon Knight) and not enough originality.

Thespirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Thespirit

lol i always laugh how no one cares about Azrael, plain and simple

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Comiclove5:
    In the story Damian says he is the last of three men who were made to replace Bruce and Lane was the third man so he is the Anti-Christ.
    KJPPPimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By KJPPPimp

I picked it up just to see where they were trying to go with it and was unimpressed. Totally agree with G-Man about just not caring about Micheal Lane as a main character. If he was just thrown away after R.I.P. I don't think I would have minded. Ramon Bachs artwork doesn't do it for me either so unless the next issue completely floors me I'll probably drop it.

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

really liked the art, I miss Jean Paul Valley personally. The ending was....dont know how to describe it, different?  Hooked me in though.

Blackest Night: Azrael 
    Return of Jean Paul Valley? :P

Avatar image for sandwichoftruth
    SandwichofTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SandwichofTruth

I really liked the Batman/Detective Comics Annuals that Fabian wrote but yeah something is definitely off here. I'm going to give it a couple more issues before I decide if I'm going to stick with this series.

I hope they go into more detail about how he went from "sociopath batman replacement" to "sociopath warrior of god"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck

Wow, I didn't realize so many didn't like Ramon Bach's art.  I like that it's different.  Maybe that's not enough?  But that was the main thing I liked about this comic so maybe that says something about how I felt about the issue.

raidenexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By raidenexe

I haven't read this yet, but G-Man, do you think there is any chance that Jean Paul Valley will come back as Azrael, or is he really dead?
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mbecks14
    @Dr. Maxwell said:
    " Blackest Night: Azrael  Return of Jean Paul Valley? :P "
    absolutely no body would buy that
    bmumble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bmumble
    @Mbecks14 said:
    " @Dr. Maxwell said:
    " Blackest Night: Azrael  Return of Jean Paul Valley? :P "
    absolutely no body would buy that "
    I would absolutely buy that!!
    I am a big fan of JPV's Azrael... and after reading issue 1 of the new Azrael, i really can't stand it. I wanna give it a chance, but i think it's pretty much like how G-Man put it, i am SOOOO disinterested in Michael Lane.... bring back Jean Paul and the REAL Azrael ! :P
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@G-Man said:
    " Wow, I didn't realize so many didn't like Ramon Bach's art.  I like that it's different.  Maybe that's not enough?  But that was the main thing I liked about this comic so maybe that says something about how I felt about the issue. "
    Yeah I felt the same way after looking at the reviews for the first few issues of Red Robin. I was loving Ramon Bachs art, and his transfer from Red Robin to Azrael was one of the reasons I decided to pick the series up. Then suddenly I discovered all this hate of his art and I was downright baffled. 

I think your problem might be that there wasn't enough of Michael Lane to let you get to know him. There was a lot dedicated to the whole back and forth of the present and the future, and I think it cut down on some of the character development, almost like he wasn't completely there. I think I started to become a bigger fan of the character in issue 2, he had some really nice bits of dialogue, and bravely challenged White Ghost, and by extension Ra's Al Ghul, to 'Bring it any time." 

But of course it was when David Hine took over in #10 that really pulled me in and blew my mind.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daredevil21134
    @The Mighty Monarch:

Michael Lane does need more developement

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.