• 70 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Because AVENGERS VS. X-MEN is such a massive crossover event, the action cannot be contained to a single series. This is where we'll be seeing loads of action.

The Good

Upon reading the first two issues of AVENGERS VS. X-MEN, there was a feeling of chaos once the fighting began. With the vast amount of characters from the Avengers and the X-Men present, the beginning of the clash was almost comical as everyone started running towards each other. The story was mixed with random scenes of mini-clashes that almost didn't make a lot of sense.

For example, we saw Iron Man fighting Emma Frost and on the next page he is then fighting Magneto. AVX: VS shows us more of what happened at that moment. The fight between Iron Man and Magneto lasted a couple panels but here it takes place over ten pages. I had wondered if there would be any acknowledgement to their brief encounter in MAGNETO: NOT A HERO #1. That is sort of addressed here.

This battle is written by Jason Aaron so it's good to see him pick up where he had to gloss over in the second issue of the main series. The art here is what makes the story shine. Adam Kubert draws the battle between these two and it's great.

The second battle deals with Thing and Namor. In issue #2, we simply saw Namor send Ben flying with a punch. Luke Cage steps in and pages later we see the return of Thing fighting Namor along with Cage. Again, there was a sense of confusion as if we stepped away from the comic and the action continued without us. Kathryn and Stuart Immonen deliver the action for this half of the comic.

The comic starts off right away making it clear that this series is about the action and fighting. The story portion takes place in the main series. Basically you have a choice if you want to see all the detail here but it does give the overall story a bigger feel by showing the specifics of what went down. The only other option would be to cut down on the encounters which would feel a little odd since this is supposed to be such a big event. There are also "AvX Fun Facts" sprinkled throughout.

The Bad

There's the lingering feeling of whether or not this series is really necessary. It doesn't try to give the illusion that it is absolutely necessary. It's unfortunate that you have to have a separate series to show the action but the only other option would be to reduce the number of characters in the series, which would take away from the magnitude of the series.

There is a feeling of a lack of continuity with the Namor and Thing story. I mentioned Luke Cage's presence but he's never seen in this story. When Thing does return after the first punch, Luke is nowhere in sight. The battle finishes and it just doesn't feel like it meshes perfectly with main series.

Seeing these fights in full form is fun. I wonder if the entire six issue miniseries will retain the excitement over seeing fight after fight.

The Verdict

This is an issue about some of the fights during AVENGERS VS. X-MEN. Plain and simple, that's what you get. There are no illusions that more will be contained. What it does do is flesh out the action seen in AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #2. There was a lot that happened in that issue and because many of the battles took place within one panel, there wasn't a complete feeling when reading the issue. Here we get to see what happened between the panels and pages. With Jason Aaron, Adam Kubert, Kathryn Immonen and Stuart Immonen on board, you know there is some quality to the two battles. The slight lack of continuity is frustrating and it will be hard to judge each issue as it will mainly rely on which characters are featured.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By lmothander

This was the worst issue ever! In Magneto vs Iron man, IM throws a bunch of magnetic discs at Magneto. Wouldn't that be throwing ammo at a hunter?! And then IM uses a magnetic pulse from outer space against Magneto. Again, that's like using venom against a cobra! Should have NO effect! In the Thing vs Namor fight, Namor hits Thing with a big fish. Thing goes down... Next panel, Namor is trapped under a bunch of rocks and Thing subdues him?!? NO continuity! I don't mind the concept of this series, but it looks like there is no real fight planning, just "make sure the avengers win".... Just my .$02

jubeiyagyuX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jubeiyagyuX

This was the dumbest book I have EVER read! Good Lord!!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_
    @lmothander

This was the worst issue ever! In Magneto vs Iron man, IM throws a bunch of magnetic discs at Magneto. Wouldn't that be throwing ammo at a hunter?! And then IM uses a magnetic pulse from outer space against Magneto. Again, that's like using venom against a cobra! Should have NO effect! In the Thing vs Namor fight, Namor hits Thing with a big fish. Thing goes down... Next panel, Namor is trapped under a bunch of rocks and Thing subdues him?!? NO continuity! I don't mind the concept of this series, but it looks like there is no real fight planning, just "make sure the avengers win".... Just my .$02

Cosigned.
    TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheHeat

Am I the only one who was disappointed with the winners?

TheOlympian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheOlympian

Iron Man beats Magneto? I've seen it and I still don't believe it. No thank AvS VS.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Bestostero

wasnt complete garbage but close.... way too generous with the 3 rating...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mercy_

@TheHeat: No, not at all.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By SavageDragon

G -Man your a little too generous on this one. This i not worth anyone's money, unless its listed at under one dollar.

revbucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By revbucky

I just checked this one out and.....

....well,

.....the artwork is great!

.....but as a miniseries,

.....no way.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By feargalr

@lmothander said:

NO continuity! I don't mind the concept of this series, but it looks like there is no real fight planning, just "make sure the avengers win".... Just my .$02

I kinda got this feeling too. But even though its like at the beginning "NO PLOT!" Magneto feeling the phoenix force and subsequently saying they need to get Wanda, kinda struck me as being somewhat plot-ish :/ It almost seems like Magneto isn't as sold on Scott's beliefs, which I think kinda is a big deal.

Turkeysammich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Turkeysammich

I thought the Magneto v. Iron Man fight was great. The idea that Stark would throw everything he could at Magneto just enough to distract him for a couple seconds to get his next attack off made sense to me. Also love Kubert's art and Hollowell's colors were great.

As for Thing beating Namor, I would look at the last panel. It would seem this fight takes before Namor v. Luke in AvX2. Also, as Namor hits Thing with the fish, we see him falling/floating in the ground of 2 other panels. My assumption on the first read through was the fish hit those rock pillars Thing was laying on and knocked into Namor for a minute.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@lmothander:Thought the same thing.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JamDamage

@TheOlympian: I would have figured someone saying "The Thing beats Namor" would have pissed someone off more then Mags nosing to Iron Man. Iron Man to smart for Mags. Figured that one. But Namor losing,,,,,,,,nope. Not to the rock guy.

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Gordo789

wow, this seems super unnecessary. unbelievable.

romica1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By romica1969

Woohoo! Avengers taking it to the Extinction Team!

X-Men have power, but the Avengers have intelligence and toughness... and nobody exemplifies those traits better than today's winners.

DIOMJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#17  Edited By DIOMJK

@JamDamage: Except that Namor has been a long time antagonist to the Fantastic Four since, like, issue 3 of the book. The Thing has beaten him dozens of times over the years, so it was pretty clear who would win here.

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By greeneagle

I totally enjoyed the Magneto Vs IM fight, it showed just how smart, resourceful, creative and determined Tony can be. It shows that it's not the suit that makes him Iron Man. Mags showed just how really powerful he is and Tony won by chance. If Mags hadn't been distracted by loss of connection he felt to one of the planetary sources he was drawing power from, Tony would have been Toast. Great fight though 4 stars

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By DATNIGGA

@TheHeat: no that was pathetic the x men SHOULD have owned them but the avengers have a movie coming out.. smh

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Skaddix

Not really Namor usually beats the Thing.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ravisher

how many books is it

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Pretty much a fight book. Just Fight Fight Fight

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#23  Edited By pspin

Magento vs Iron Man was cool, Iron Man would have definitely lost if Magneto wasn't distracted at the last second.

Thing vs Namor was cool, a throw back to the old days and I bet that it isn't over they going to revisit that for sure.

I hope that Squirrel Girl gets a fight, that would be epic

_Heart_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By _Heart_

Iron Man's battle against Magneto was sheer nonsense! This comic was just pathetic.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zackattack529

i used this comic for toilet paper after i read it. just terrible

dominion4194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By dominion4194

The Avengers will win every battle right up until May 4th. Seriously, Magneto gets beat by Iron-Man? Really? Namor and the Thing. You just swung a giant fish that looked to be bigger than a whale like a baseball bat but you get trapped by some falling rocks. How does that happen exactly?

Try not to make it so obvious that the Avengers are the company favorites at the moment.

emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By emirblade

Everything about this comic seem biased. Both of the losers were at their element but still lost. Also, the dialogue makes the x-men look in the wrong.

Next issue is spidey vs. colossus and gambit vs. cap. America. let's see how that goes.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28  Edited By FoxxFireArt

While I'm not speaking to the thought put into this review. The fact Marvel is pumping the audience for more money to actually see the fights in a series dedicated around hero against hero is rather a disgusting idea. These should be shown in the actual story, and not pushed off to side issues.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mattwing87

"the action cannot be contained to a single series"

That's cause Marvel is secretly a money hungry corporation ;P

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CODYSF

Can we as comic fans stop buying crap like this and get better comics that is out there.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Kallarkz

I am truly disgusted by marvel with this series.

konahamarue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By konahamarue

I'm utterly disgusted about how the winners won the battle... if the X-men don't take the next 2, I'm done with this. Seriously, Magneto losing to Iron Man... laughable. Namor vs Thing... a joke.

TheAtheist888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheAtheist888

Just like everyone else, I too find Magneto vs Iron Man fight pathetic.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@lmothander said:

Agreed. Worse pile of crap ever, Hell I'll take a bad issue from Fraction's Uncanny run over this. Never thought I'd see the day I would have to say that....but here we are....

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Loki2u

its a six issue mini series, and six issues to many.

G-man, you need to incorporate a half star system, and don't be afraid to rip on books that suck. I don't take offense to anyone who slags my faves, especially if its warranted. This book was awful and didn't warrant more than 2 stars in my opinion.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sparty-dbq

Soooooo.... is the Iron Man/Magneto fight picking up after Quiksilver coldcocked Magneto is issue 2? Because there's no mention of it here. And both were written by the same guy so you can't just say "Oops, musta forgot."

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See, Iron Man beating Magneto I can live with.....but Thing "subduing" Namor on his own turf? That right there, is the straw that broke the camel's back.

kaleb2470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kaleb2470

Meh. It wasn't really the victors that bothered me so much as the fact that I could have gotten the same thing (plus probably a lot more fun) out of playing with my old box full of Marvel action figures.

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By the_fallen11

Well it's a good thing we won't be seeing any of these ppl bad mouthing this comic when the review for vs #2 comes out. B/c we ALL know that when comic readers think a comic series is terrible they stop buying it and move on......oh wait.

kaleb2470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kaleb2470

@the_fallen11: ...but I like getting my face stuck in a grossed out frown! It makes me look like Clint Eastwood. No, but in all seriousness I'm dropping this AND avx. I just can't stand how little substance and thought is being put into the whole event compared to how successful its been.

Tchokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By Tchokes

Art? Good. Great, even.

Dialogues? Good, most part (even though Namor and Thing are disgustingly uninterestinging seems like he has been surviving as the same lame character for years now).

Outcome? Cheap. As usual, no one REALLY loses. Iron Man gets teh upperhand when Magneto suddenly gets stunned by Phoenix Fos emissions, and Namor.... lol... well, he didnt get finished at all. Whats the point of having them fight if no one clearly wins? Also, I am cant believe Magneto, a man that manipulated Protheus' energy with his magnetism, couldnt handle Stark.

ssj2DeadPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ssj2DeadPool

Worst book I have ever read. There was more fighting in the Superman book today.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rickbarry

It's not worth the price.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ahgunsillyo

I'm still rather amused by the fact that somebody apparently thought it was a great idea to name this book "Avengers Versus X-Men: Versus."

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#45  Edited By ImperiousRix

I actually feel more compelled to read THIS mini-series than the ACTUAL mini-series. For one, I like the creative team on it much more. Secondly, really... I'm only interested in the super-fights. Honestly, I don't know WHY everyone is fighting and am not sure I'd care even if I knew.

I just wanna see X-Men and Avengers punch each other in the face.

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

@DATNIGGA: THIS

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd

u know sumthins up when ur a master of magnetism who doesnt win a fight against a man wearing an IRON SUIT

And your a SUPERSTRONG PRINCE OF THE SEA.. who gets whupped in whats basically ur backyard

Marvel are slowly becoming trash.. now only seeming to hit high notes thru blind luck, stumbling onto good storylines or transparently creating polarising/devisive issues ..i just feel sorry for the extremely talented artists who get commissioned for tissue-backups like this, coz rilly they dont earn enough to tell editors/writers to shove it when they outline these socalled "plots" to em

Whoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Whoa

Just because an Avengers movie is coming out doesn't mean you must make every Avenger win the fight MARVEL!!! ugh... (especially when the fights and outcomes were the biggest case of ridiculousness I have ever read)

Darth_Wolfram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Darth_Wolfram

@THEBlaqueBasterd said:

u know sumthins up when ur a master of magnetism who doesnt win a fight against a man wearing an IRON SUIT

Could you at least read the book before posting hateful comments

if you had read the book, or quiet a few iron man issues you'd know that the IRON MAN SUIT ISN'T MADE OF IRON, or any other metal

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By DATNIGGA

@Whoa: Colossus was owning until he held himself back & Rulk wins smh... though later in the issues it looks like the x men get them back for it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.