Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7702 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Would you say the following between Thor and Herc are true?

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seekquaze

A lot of claims/comparisons are made about these two so I thought I would try and summarize the thoughts. Unless stated otherwise all of these are regarding Thor and Hercules on a purely physical level with no extra powers like Thor's storm abilities.

1. Thor and Hercules are both highly skilled unarmed fighters.

2. Both are highly skilled armed fighters. Both are very good with bludgeon weapons. Hercules is probable a bit better with some Greek weapons like a discus or a bow and arrow and Thor is probable better with a sword. (Seriously, how often is Thor seen with or noted to be good with a discus and the same for Hercules with a sword.) However, both are no doubt skilled to some degree with both just not ultimate masters of them.

3. Thor and Hercules are under normal circumstances physical equal in the strength department.

4. Thor and Hercules are overall equal in battle.

5. Hercules is SLIGHTLY more skilled with h2h due to inventing Pankration and fighting 99% of the time without a weapon.

6. Thor is SLIGHTLY more skilled with a war hammer/mace weapon due to fighting with Mjolnir 99% of the time.

7. Hercules h2h = Thor w/Mjolnir

8. Hercules w/Mace = Thor unarmed

9. Thor with his full energy powers is too much for Hercules.

thoughts?

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

1. Agreed.
     2. I'd say Hercules has more experience with more different kinds of weapons due to his various training and activities in wars. I think he's probably equal to Hawkeye in archery but hesistant to use it and it's been said that he's better than at least USAgent with the discus/shield.
    3. Agreed.
    4. Agreed.
    5. I don't know if Herc is more skilled with h2h but it is one of his preferred methods in fighting, up close and personal. Thor tends to fight more at range.
    6. I don't know about this either, Mjolnir is just a much more impressive weapon.
    7. and 8. I dunno how you can say Hercules unarmed equals Thor with Mjolnir and yet Hercules with Adamantine Mace equals unarmed Thor. I don't think Hercules' mace really affects his fighting unless fighting something completely invulnerable where he'll need it. I'd say when fighting each other both tend to just smack each other so having a mace or Mjolnir. If Thor really needed to take out Hercules and he could refrain from taking the challenge as a matter of honor or something he could actually use Mjolnir well enough to take out Herc.
    9. If Thor really needed to take out Herc and wasn't hindered by honor he could beat Hercules.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By D3athstroke

1. Yes

2. Hercules Is Better 

3. Hercules is Stronger Physically

4. Without Pis i can see Hercules Beating Thor

5. Hercules is  more skilled with h2h due to inventing Pankration and fighting 99% of the time without a weapon.

6. No. but he is Way better in magic

7. Hercules h2h => Thor w/Mjolnir

8. Hercules w/Mace => Thor unarmed

9. Lol no

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By seekquaze
    @D3athstroke said:

2. Hercules Is Better  

Why is Hercules better armed?  Thor has fought impressively with a sword and hammer and Hercules fights mostly unarmed.

@D3athstroke said:

What proof do you have?  All the comic comparisons and virtually all the handbooks portray the two as being equal.

@D3athstroke said:

4. Without Pis i can see Hercules Beating Thor

So why can't Thor defeat Hercules or are you saying that in a purely physical battle the two are about even?

@D3athstroke said:

6. No. but he is Way better in magic

Why do you disagree with Thor being better with a blundeon weapon.  As we previously established Hercules is better h2h due to fighting 99% of the time unarmed.  Since Thor fights 99% of the time armed why is he not to some degree better than Hercules in this field?

@D3athstroke said:

7. Hercules h2h => Thor w/Mjolnir 8. Hercules w/Mace => Thor unarmed

Why is Hercules better in both areas than Thor?  Are you saying Thor is less of a warrior than Hercules?  If so why?

@D3athstroke said:

9. Lol no

So, should Thor decide to call upon his weather or energy powers how would Hercules counter hurricane winds that could lift him into the sky, massive waves of energy on a level that can hurt him, etc. and still maintain enough strength and stamina to take on Thor physically?  How would Hercules counter Thor's range attacks?

@PrinceIMC said:

7. and 8. I dunno how you can say Hercules unarmed equals Thor with Mjolnir and yet Hercules with Adamantine Mace equals unarmed Thor. I don't think Hercules' mace really affects his fighting unless fighting something completely invulnerable where he'll need it. I'd say when fighting each other both tend to just smack each other so having a mace or Mjolnir. If Thor really needed to take out Hercules and he could refrain from taking the challenge as a matter of honor or something he could actually use Mjolnir well enough to take out Herc.

It has to do with comfort and fighting ability with a weapon.  Another example could be Fandral the Dashing.  He is considered the best swordsman in Asgard.  He is better than either Thor or Hercules with that particular weapon.  Both of them may be skilled or even highly skilled with it, but Fandral uses it all the time.  In a direct sword fight between him and one of them he SHOULD win most of the time.  However, Fandral does not fight unarmed that often as far as we know.  I have no doubt he knows how to and has some skill in the area so he would be far below Hercules in that area.  So even though this is imperfect one could say Fandral w/sword = Hercules unarmed.   Both are so skilled in the area named that it makes them equal in skill when comparing those two areas and minus any physical abilities.  However, if you were to give Hercules say...nunchucks his skill with them would probable equal Fandral's unarmed or even be below it.

So, in this case Hercules's skill unarmed combined with his other physical abilities makes him about as dangerous as Thor armed with Mjolnir minus any other abilities.  Due to using the Golden Mace far less than Thor uses Mjolnir or unarmed.  Thor has the rare times he has needed to demonstrated himself to be a highly skilled unarmed fighter.  So Hercules's skill with the Golden Mace combined with all of his other physical abilities makes him about as dangerous as Thor unarmed. 
    D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By D3athstroke

Hercules Was Able to Knock Down Atum in Demogorge Form And Rip Adamantine Wall With Hit
    He Withstood Magic of Sky father level Gods unharmed He was hit by thunderbolt of Zeus aimed for kill and survived without any serious injury 
    He was hit by magic which was melting Adamantine on his forehead and was unharmed 
    So i cant see Thor Harming him with Magic or winning physical fight

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By seekquaze
    @D3athstroke said:
    Hercules Was Able to Knock Down Atum in Demogorge Form And Rip Adamantine Wall With HitHe Withstood Magic of Sky father level Gods unharmed He was hit by thunderbolt of Zeus aimed for kill and survived without any serious injury He was hit by magic which was melting Adamantine on his forehead and was unharmed So i cant see Thor Harming him with Magic or winning physical fight
    Could you please name me the stories where these events occurred?  I belief the Atum one might be from Sacred Invasion, but what about the others?  Also, if I may what are your thoughts on some of the other issues I raised?
    D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By D3athstroke
    seekquaze said:
    @D3athstroke said:
     2. Hercules Is Better  
    Why is Hercules better armed?  Thor has fought impressively with a sword and hammer and Hercules fights mostly unarmed.

Hercules is fighting with weapons all the time he even has killed skyfather Level beings with Weapons
     And that is not even in his own book
     And that is not even in his own book

Killed Typhon 
    Killed Typhon 

@seekquaze said:

@D3athstroke said:
    What proof do you have?  All the comic comparisons and virtually all the handbooks portray the two as being equal.

Yet Blow from Hercules can knock Atum off his feet and rip Golems made from adamantine and dent walls from the same material 

@seekquaze said:

Why do you disagree with Thor being better with a blundeon weapon.  As we previously established Hercules is better h2h due to fighting 99% of the time unarmed.  Since Thor fights 99% of the time armed why is he not to some degree better than Hercules in this field?

Thor is not better with blunt weapons he just has better weapon Mjolnir

Only reason people are saying that Hercules will lose to Thor is because Thor has more "powers"
    It is not like they are going to harm Hercules or something it is just how overrated Thor is here
    look at Thor vs Thread

"Thor wins "his enemy" is pure Piss !"
    "Thor only lose to him because he was holding back !"
    "pis pis pis pis pis"
    "Thor one shots hulk"
    "Hercules is no match for him"

Today i posted picture of Rulk beating Thor and got like 8 replays saying that it was piss, leobforce, bad writing, wis and in recent issues Thor beat Rulk no one even thought that Rulk was depowered in "World War Hulks " because if thor loses it is pis pis pis or wis !

lol this is getting old

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By seekquaze
    @D3athstroke said:

Hercules is fighting with weapons all the time he even has killed skyfather Level beings with Weapons

Titans Clash also had Zeus trembling at the Hulk's presence and wounded by a spear thrown by a regular giant.  Not the best day for skyfathers.  Typhon has always more or less been portrayed as maybe a bit higher than Hercules and never at the full power as  when he fought Zeus.  Some of the older stories even have him getting stronger as he reverted to a more monstrous form.  

@D3athstroke said:
    Yet Blow from Hercules can knock Atum off his feet and rip Golems made from adamantine and dent walls from the same material 
    As for the autotons I've looked through the issue and it states they were gold plated, but nothing is mentioned of them being made of adamantine.  Hercules is very strong to even dent it, but one old story has Thor barely denting adamantium as well.   And yes Hercules is very strong I have never disputed that.  We have also seen Thor throw a giant sword to knock a much larger and powerful Celestial off its feet.

@D3athstroke said:
    Thor is not better with blunt weapons he just has better weapon Mjolnir

Only reason people are saying that Hercules will lose to Thor is because Thor has more "powers"
    It is not like they are going to harm Hercules or something it is just how overrated Thor is here
    look at Thor vs Thread

Why would Hercules be as good as Thor with a blunt weapon when Herc barely uses his instead relying on his fists and Thor uses a blunt weapon just about all the time for thousands of years?  Following this thinking shouldn't Thor be just as good as Hercules at h2h despite not using is anywhere near as much. Both have lived for thousands of years and surely Thor is as experience a warrior as Hercules is? 

And yes, Thor's other power can work on a level to harm Hercules.  They have harmed the Hulk in the past and other powerful beings on Thor's level or above.   Hulk has reacted from pain from them and one time was koed.   Mangog has been brought to his knees by them.  The Dark God Perrikus and Gladiator of the Shi'ar have all both been hurt by energy blasts from Thor's hammer.  even Surtur admitted one of Thor's powered -up attacks hurt him.  The energy powers and not necessarily and instant win, but to say use of them would not take a toll on Hercules does not make any sense.  @D3athstroke said:

"Thor wins "his enemy" is pure Piss !"
    "Thor only lose to him because he was holding back !"
    "pis pis pis pis pis"
    "Thor one shots hulk"
    "Hercules is no match for him"

Today i posted picture of Rulk beating Thor and got like 8 replays saying that it was piss, leobforce, bad writing, wis and in recent issues Thor beat Rulk no one even thought that Rulk was depowered in "World War Hulks " because if thor loses it is pis pis pis or wis !

lol this is getting old
    I have never stated Thor is invincible.  I have always regarded him and Herc as pretty much physically equal and equal in battle under purely physical conditions because that is the way they have always been portrayed.  The fact is that Thor has a magic hammer that grants him access to options that Hercules lacks.  You seem very hostile.  If I may ask do you hate the Thor character?  
    Avatar image for themightyavenger
    TheMightyAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMightyAvenger
    @seekquaze:  
    1 - Yes they are. 
    2 - Herc is better at some Thor is better at others, but yeah they are both good. 
    3 - Yes. 
    4 - Overall yes. 
    5 - Yes. 
    6 - Correct. 
    7 - Maybe, but you can't be sure. 
    8 - * looks at line above * 
    9 - Yes.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze said:

A lot of claims/comparisons are made about these two so I thought I
    would try and summarize the thoughts. Unless stated otherwise all of
    these are regarding Thor and Hercules on a purely physical level with no
    extra powers like Thor's storm abilities.

1. Thor and Hercules are both highly skilled unarmed fighters.

2. Both are highly skilled armed fighters. Both are very good with
    bludgeon weapons. Hercules is probable a bit better with some Greek
    weapons like a discus or a bow and arrow and Thor is probable better
    with a sword. (Seriously, how often is Thor seen with or noted to be
    good with a discus and the same for Hercules with a sword.) However,
    both are no doubt skilled to some degree with both just not ultimate
    masters of them.

3. Thor and Hercules are under normal circumstances physical equal in the strength department.

4. Thor and Hercules are overall equal in battle.

5. Hercules is SLIGHTLY more skilled with h2h due to inventing Pankration and fighting 99% of the time without a weapon.

6. Thor is SLIGHTLY more skilled with a war hammer/mace weapon due to fighting with Mjolnir 99% of the time.

7. Hercules h2h = Thor w/Mjolnir

8. Hercules w/Mace = Thor unarmed

9. Thor with his full energy powers is too much for Hercules.

thoughts?

I agree with all of this except:

2. Currently Hercules has been showing his skill using the Sword of Peleus, so he may possibly be a swordsman equal to or more skilled than Thor. I don't know.

3. Hercules has a slight edge over Thor in sheer physical strength. So Hercules is stronger than Thor. This is stated quite clearly in the original OHOTMU '83 (#5 and #11).

7. Thor with Mjolnir (and using to it's fullest potential) is superior to Hercules. Thor w/Mjolnir > Hercules.

8. Hercules with his mace is superior to Thor unarmed. Hercules > Thor unarmed

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By seekquaze
    @PowerHerc said:

2. Currently Hercules has been showing his skill using the Sword of Peleus, so he may possibly be a swordsman equal to or more skilled than Thor. I don't know.

3. Hercules has a slight edge over Thor in sheer physical strength. Hercules is slightly stronger than Thor. This is stated quite clearly in the original OHOTMU '83 (#5 and #11).

7. Thor with Mjolnir (and using to it's fullest potential) is superior to Thor. Hercules < Thor w/Mjolnir.

2.  Agreed, we know Hercules and Thor are both skilled with swords we just don't know how much.  I  am sure some more Greek weapons like the discuss Hercules is superior to and others more viking weapons like axes Thor is probable a bit better with.

3.  Hercules's physical strength compared to Thor seems to be the greatest debate.  Some like you cite the handbooks as proof that Hercules is a bit stronger.  Others like me lean more toward the comics that portray them as equal.  Either way if there is a strength difference I don't think it is enough to matter much.  

7.  I don't think I quite get this.  Thor with Mjolnir is superior to Thor???? Do you mean unarmed Thor? But you do agree that Hercules unarmed is < Thor w/Mjolnir (not including energy powers of course) ?
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze: I meant Thor using his hammer is superior to Hercules. It was a typo. Sorry for the confusion.

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Thor has beaten skyfathers and Hell lords in their own realms but in terms of Physical strength they are equal  
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Kallarkz
    @PowerHerc said:

thoughts?

3. Hercules has a slight edge over Thor in sheer physical strength. So Hercules is stronger than Thor. This is stated quite clearly in the original OHOTMU '83 (#5 and #11).

7. Thor with Mjolnir (and using to it's fullest potential) is superior to Hercules. Thor w/Mjolnir > Hercules.

I agree with this. I have always considered Hercules to be slightly stronger than Thor. 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

@Kallarkz: Thanks, bro. I appreciate it.

jerfro23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jerfro23

1.Yes 
    2.Both skilled fighters that are good at differnt weapons 
    3.Yea i say there equals but ilike to see them fight h2h 
    4.Yes 
    5.yes 
    6.yes 
    7.no i dont think so 
    8.same as number 7 
    9.yes
    vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vidarrodinson

I enjoyed reading these posts. Very interesting.  But either way you put , It could be a classic.   But Thor Odinson is the most formidable of the two.  His hammer gives him more defensive and offensive  moves.  An example.  Thanos fires a blast of @&^^%#$$%.  Thor blocks with the hammer.  Herc gets fried gumbo style.  Hercules is not a better fighter than Thor .  Forget what was wrote.  The strongest fighter doe'snt always win or lose. 
    alexandrinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By alexandrinus

1.  Agreed. Though I think Hercules to be more skilled than Thor as an unarmed figther. 

2. In this point I think Hercules is skilled in more weapons than Thor. Hercules is skilled with every type of weapons that were used by the Greeks be that swords, maces, hammers, bows and even shields (the axe was not very used nor the war hammer). Hercules proved in his new series to be a great swordsman (wielding the sword of Peleus). The mace was a weapon Hercules used for quite a long time (he only droped the mace and many of his other weapons/items when he died and Zeus ascended him to full godhood). Though the hammer was used more by the Vikings, I don't think there's a major diference between both mace or hammer. Both are wielded the same way, only the war hammer may have a longer reach. Hercules as also proved to be an excellent marksman/archer stated to be as good or even better than Hawkeye. He was trained by Artemis herself As for the axe I think Thor may be better than Herc.  

3. Hercules is stronger than Thor as stated in the original OHOTMU '83 but in the books they're portrayted to be equals. If Hercules is really stronger than Thor I don't think it's enough to make a diference. 

4. Agreed. 

5. Agreed 

6. I don't quite agree with this. Everytime both fougth with their weapons, none showed to be more or less skilled. Every time one would attack the other would always block with his weapon. I know Herc usually doesn't use his mace nowadays but he does have more than 3000 years of experience with it, while Thor is much younger than Herc. Thor was around from the 8th century to the 11th one (actually a bit sooner as he was already called Donar by the Germans) and Herc has been around for 3000 years. And if we go by waht Marvel states, the Thor that lived from the 8th century to the 11th century is not the Marvel Thor. Marvel's Thor only came to life after the Ragnarok of the original myth asgardians. So Marvel's Thor is quite young (for gods) and has much less years of experience with weapons than Herc. 

7. If none other skill is used, I think Herc is better unarmed than Thor with his hammer. This doesn't mean that I think Herc would win if they fougth in this manner. Herc would need to hit Thor quite a few times while Thor only needed to hit Herc a "couple" of times with the hammer to take him down. 

8. With all the years of experience and because of the diference of ages as I explained above I do think Hercules w/ mace > Thor unarmed. 

9. Agreed. Thor using his full powers would defeat Hercules.
    jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jeanroygrant

1 yes

2 yes

3 yes

4 no

5 yes

6 yes

7 no

8 no

yes

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@seekquaze said:

A lot of claims/comparisons are made about these two so I thought I would try and summarize the thoughts. Unless stated otherwise all of these are regarding Thor and Hercules on a purely physical level with no extra powers like Thor's storm abilities. 1. Thor and Hercules are both highly skilled unarmed fighters. 2. Both are highly skilled armed fighters. Both are very good with bludgeon weapons. Hercules is probable a bit better with some Greek weapons like a discus or a bow and arrow and Thor is probable better with a sword. (Seriously, how often is Thor seen with or noted to be good with a discus and the same for Hercules with a sword.) However, both are no doubt skilled to some degree with both just not ultimate masters of them. 3. Thor and Hercules are under normal circumstances physical equal in the strength department. 4. Thor and Hercules are overall equal in battle. 5. Hercules is SLIGHTLY more skilled with h2h due to inventing Pankration and fighting 99% of the time without a weapon. 6. Thor is SLIGHTLY more skilled with a war hammer/mace weapon due to fighting with Mjolnir 99% of the time. 7. Hercules h2h = Thor w/Mjolnir 8. Hercules w/Mace = Thor unarmed 9. Thor with his full energy powers is too much for Hercules. thoughts?

Sounds accurate. Though Thor's experience with Ragnarok have def improved his H2h

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gravitypress

I think Thor is older than Herc by a decent amount. He only became the god of thunder after he received the hammer. I would say they are probably equal in terms of swordplay though Herc wins out in h2h and using a bow, not enough for a quick or easy win though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.