Will Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes face cancelation

Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avenger's may be destroying the box office, being currently the fourth highest grossing movie of all time, but the word is that Jeph Loeb might end the Disney XD Series. The show began after the Disney/Marvel merger but it isn't made by a different company other than Marvel. Loeb's future plans are not looking good for the series, and from what I've seen, he is looking to model a new Avenger's series based off of The Ultimate Spider-man series....yeah.

There are still 18 episodes left, and twelve will be stand alone episodes for season two... so its still up in the air if there will be a season 3, producers Christ Yost and Joshua Fine can't answer your questions about another season, so its unclear for certain.

So what do you think? and how do you feel?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it will.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33050 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I think it will be replaced

#3 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't think it will.

You CAN'T think like that or Loeb wins.

Moderator
#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't think it will.

You CAN'T think like that or Loeb wins.

Loeb's not winning. I don't think it will be cancelled.

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't think it will.

You CAN'T think like that or Loeb wins.

Loeb's not winning. I don't think it will be cancelled.

... I think I misinterpreted your original comment. My bad :P

Moderator
#6 Posted by Lvenger (19320 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't think it will.

You CAN'T think like that or Loeb wins.

We CAN'T let Loeb win.

#7 Posted by War Killer (20136 posts) - - Show Bio

This is currently my favorite show, so the idea of it getting canned for something more along the lines of USM are frightening to say the least. But something that scares me even more is how I've heard Loeb talk about doing away with the idea of having story arc type episodes, which could range from two to three episode long storylines, in favor of having each episode be its standalone 30min long storyline. This annoys me because part of the reason I love Avengers: EMH is because of the story arc type episodes, where instead of the show feeling rushed as the heroes must save the day in under 30mins, they can keep the story going and allow the plot the tell the story without it all feeling crammed and rushed.
 
But sadly, the more I hear about this, the more I fear for this show...

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't think it will.

You CAN'T think like that or Loeb wins.

Loeb's not winning. I don't think it will be cancelled.

... I think I misinterpreted your original comment. My bad :P

It's all good. I've seen the reactions to both EMH and Ultimate Spider-Man here and at NYCC. Everywhere I look, the reception's EMH > Ult Spidey, and it's by a landslide every time. If he has half a brain cell, he'd know not to cancel it. Putting both shows up, maybe, but I really don't see EMH getting cancelled. Not yet, anyway.

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

This is currently my favorite show, so the idea of it getting canned for something more along the lines of USM are frightening to say the least. But something that scares me even more is how I've heard Loeb talk about doing away with the idea of having story arc type episodes, which could range from two to three episode long storylines, in favor of having each episode be its standalone 30min long storyline. This annoys me because part of the reason I love Avengers: EMH is because of the story arc type episodes, where instead of the show feeling rushed as the heroes must save the day in under 30mins, they can keep the story going and allow the plot the tell the story without it all feeling crammed and rushed. But sadly, the more I hear about this, the more I fear for this show...

You took the words right out of my... mind?

Moderator
#10 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@War Killer said:

This is currently my favorite show, so the idea of it getting canned for something more along the lines of USM are frightening to say the least. But something that scares me even more is how I've heard Loeb talk about doing away with the idea of having story arc type episodes, which could range from two to three episode long storylines, in favor of having each episode be its standalone 30min long storyline. This annoys me because part of the reason I love Avengers: EMH is because of the story arc type episodes, where instead of the show feeling rushed as the heroes must save the day in under 30mins, they can keep the story going and allow the plot the tell the story without it all feeling crammed and rushed. But sadly, the more I hear about this, the more I fear for this show...

You took the words right out of my... mind?

Exactly what I thought.

#11 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer: Idk, if you look at the show now...there doing kinda stand alone episodes right now.......I think people are maybe taking the whole "stand alone" thing as too much......like Ultimate Spider-man apparently has ongoing subplots.......and anyway, EMH with stand alone episodes would always be preferable to Ultimate Avengers starring the movie cast and nobody else......

#12 Posted by Trodorne (2584 posts) - - Show Bio

Its sad when shows take the time to do stories right for the next generation and TV execs see it as not an art form but a cash cow. and if that cow and producing its taken to the slaughter house. frankly I wish it the best in hopes that it might not be cancelled.

#13 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't think it will.

You CAN'T think like that or Loeb wins.

Loeb's not winning. I don't think it will be cancelled.

... I think I misinterpreted your original comment. My bad :P

It's all good. I've seen the reactions to both EMH and Ultimate Spider-Man here and at NYCC. Everywhere I look, the reception's EMH > Ult Spidey, and it's by a landslide every time. If he has half a brain cell, he'd know not to cancel it. Putting both shows up, maybe, but I really don't see EMH getting cancelled. Not yet, anyway.

That's what I think too. People would go nuts if they cancelled EMH. He himself stated that he knows of the enormous cult following that EMH has, so I beg to question why he assumes cancelling it in favour of a show of far less quality would be for the better.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Now did Loeb actually say that he's thinking about pulling the plug on EMH? I still have no idea where the hysteria actually came from.

#15 Posted by War Killer (20136 posts) - - Show Bio
@X35 said:

@War Killer: Idk, if you look at the show now...there doing kinda stand alone episodes right now.......I think people are maybe taking the whole "stand alone" thing as too much......like Ultimate Spider-man apparently has ongoing subplots.......and anyway, EMH with stand alone episodes would always be preferable to Ultimate Avengers starring the movie cast and nobody else......

Yes, which is partly why I think the second season isn't being received as well as the first. It just doesn't feel as epic in my opinion, the episode for Doctor Doom for example could have been longer and more drawn out, showing how smart Doom really is and why his last name is DOOM.
 
But also, the reason Avengers are having standalone episodes are, once again, because of Loeb who took over as head of Marvel cartoons (or whatever official title he has now). This is why, from what I remember reading, some of the episodes were finished before Loeb took over so they are story arc driven like with the Skrull storyline, but I believe the last episodes will simply be standalone.
 
USM may have subplots, but the actually episodes are standalone. Really, he's teamed up with literally Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor in under ten episodes. The show itself feels more like Marvel Team-Up (staring Spider-Man) than a show about Spider-Man. The only episodes I can think that had anything linked to previous episodes are the ones with Venom.
#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget: Now did Loeb actually say that he's thinking about pulling the plug on EMH? I still have no idea where the hysteria actually came from.

Article on IGN:

While acknowledging Earth’s Mightiest Heroes’ fandom, Loeb’s comments toCollider in March, on the topic of serialization in the animated series, also could point to the current Avengers show not being in line with Marvel’s future plans. Said Loeb, “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that’s very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people’s time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you’re not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don’t ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o’clock and suddenly feel like, “Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don’t really know what’s going on.”” Loeb has previously indicated that the final twelve episodes of Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Heroes feature more standalone storylines.
Moderator
#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: So, what? He wants to make it a show about the individual characters, rather than a show about the team itself?

#18 Edited by War Killer (20136 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget: Now did Loeb actually say that he's thinking about pulling the plug on EMH? I still have no idea where the hysteria actually came from.

Article on IGN:

While acknowledging Earth’s Mightiest Heroes’ fandom, Loeb’s comments to Collider in March, on the topic of serialization in the animated series, also could point to the current Avengers show not being in line with Marvel’s future plans. Said Loeb, “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that’s very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people’s time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you’re not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don’t ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o’clock and suddenly feel like, “Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don’t really know what’s going on.”” Loeb has previously indicated that the final twelve episodes of Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Heroes feature more standalone storylines.

Okay, so let me get this straight...

“Earth’s Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following.

 Then why cancel the show?

One of the things that’s very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in.

Did he just insult himself...? O_o 

 It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people’s time is often taken.

Alright, so...
  1. Because there are a lot of characters, instead of giving two to three part episodes to allow those characters to actually breath and get the spotlight they deserve, you want to rush them and cut their time short by giving them only 30mins? Yep, that makes sense...
  2. This is why the DVR was invented, it allows people to find time when it's not taken and watch the show on their own speed.

I don’t ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o’clock and suddenly feel like, “Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don’t really know what’s going on.

  1. If it's Sunday morning you should be in church, not watching cartoons. :P
  2. How do you loose three whole episodes, I can understand one, but three? <_<
  3. And even if you loose episodes, this is why we have reruns. Problem solved. :)
  4. But more importantly, if you really care about a show you will do your best to catch up. And if you jump right into a show and you enjoy it, you'll go back and watch the previous episodes to catch up.

 Loeb has previously indicated that the final twelve episodes of Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Heroes feature more standalone storylines.

 So instead of going out with a bang, the show will end with a fizzle. Wonderful...
#19 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12964 posts) - - Show Bio

If it is canceled then I'm freaking done with animated marvel

Online
#20 Posted by Lvenger (19320 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget: Now did Loeb actually say that he's thinking about pulling the plug on EMH? I still have no idea where the hysteria actually came from.

Article on IGN:

While acknowledging Earth’s Mightiest Heroes’ fandom, Loeb’s comments to Collider in March, on the topic of serialization in the animated series, also could point to the current Avengers show not being in line with Marvel’s future plans. Said Loeb, “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following. One of the things that’s very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in. It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people’s time is often taken. So, DVR the show, but if you’re not going to do that, the idea is that you will be able to catch up. I don’t ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o’clock and suddenly feel like, “Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don’t really know what’s going on.”” Loeb has previously indicated that the final twelve episodes of Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Heroes feature more standalone storylines.

Okay, so let me get this straight...

“Earth’s Mightiest Heroes has a tremendous following.

Then why cancel the show?

One of the things that’s very unique about that show is that it was at a time prior to my coming in.

Did he just insult himself...? O_o

It is a very serialized show, and there are a lot of characters. What we wanted to do with Spider-Man, and going forward, was to tell stories that are individualized. Obviously, we want everybody to watch the show every week, but we also know that people’s time is often taken.

Alright, so...
  1. Because there are a lot of characters, instead of giving two to three part episodes to allow those characters to actually breath and get the spotlight they deserve, you want to rush them and cut their time short by giving them only 30mins? Yep, that makes sense...
  2. This is why the DVR was invented, it allows people to find time when it's not taken and watch the show on their own speed.

I don’t ever want anybody to sit down on Sunday mornings at 11 o’clock and suddenly feel like, “Well, I lost the last three episodes, so I don’t really know what’s going on.

  1. If it's Sunday morning you should be in church, not watching cartoons. :P
  2. How do you loose three whole episodes, I can understand one, but three? <_<
  3. And even if you loose episodes, this is why we have reruns. Problem solved. :)
  4. But more importantly, if you really care about a show you will do your best to catch up. And if you jump right into a show and you enjoy it, you'll go back and watch the previous episodes to catch up.

Loeb has previously indicated that the final twelve episodes of Season 2 of Earth's Mightiest Heroes feature more standalone storylines.

So instead of going out with a bang, the show will end with a fizzle. Wonderful...

All your points are valid and reasonable. It seems though that Loeb isn't interested in reason if he's even considering cancelling EMH.

#21 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
If it is canceled then I'm freaking done with animated marvel
THIS
#22 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

This is currently my favorite show, so the idea of it getting canned for something more along the lines of USM are frightening to say the least. But something that scares me even more is how I've heard Loeb talk about doing away with the idea of having story arc type episodes, which could range from two to three episode long storylines, in favor of having each episode be its standalone 30min long storyline. This annoys me because part of the reason I love Avengers: EMH is because of the story arc type episodes, where instead of the show feeling rushed as the heroes must save the day in under 30mins, they can keep the story going and allow the plot the tell the story without it all feeling crammed and rushed. But sadly, the more I hear about this, the more I fear for this show...
#23 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

This just gives people more reasons to make fun of Loeb. I mean within the last couple of years he has come into various series for very short runs and usually annoys people with them as I understand. Now I really like this show even tough I was apprehensive to start watching it but the storylines is what keeps me coming back to the show.

#24 Posted by TDK_1997 (14698 posts) - - Show Bio

The show is pretty damn good,if it gets canceled I'll kill myself.

#25 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: @War Killer: Quick recap; Loeb is an idiot. And yes, he did insult himself :P

Moderator
#26 Edited by War Killer (20136 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024: @War Killer: Quick recap; Loeb is an idiot. And yes, he did insult himself :P

I don't think he himself is an idiot, it's just when it comes to how he's running Marvel's cartoons, he's being idiotic about it.
#27 Posted by cattlebattle (12697 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say its pretty much canceled......the second half of the second season is supposed to be singlular episodes, as opposed to arcing episodes with a main story (skrull invasion)
 
Also, Hulk:Agents of Smash  is supposed t take place within the Ultimate Spider-Man continuity...so having all their characters in there would finally give Marvel another animated universe as opposed to the shifty, lame one they had in the 90's
 
Marvel is all about $$, with the huge success of the Avengers film, Marvel will no doubt capitalize on an opportunity to makes a show more like the movie, with a heroic Black Widow as opposed to the "gray area" one on in EMH Hawkeye will likely be similar to his film appearance.....Avengers will work for SHEILD, Coulson will be a prominent member, yadda, yadda.........
 
 if you think Earths Mightiest Heroes is going to last......expect to be disappointed, and shame for thinking Marvel gives a s**t about you

#28 Posted by Lvenger (19320 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: EMH has a pretty big following. More of a following than Ultimate Spider-Man. Vastly more. Marvel just don't want to cancel Ultimate Spider-Man yet because of the money they poured into it. Loeb would truly be an idiot if he cancelled EMH to replace it with another Avengers cartoon set in the unpopular Ultimate Spider-Man universe.

#29 Posted by Onemoreposter (4022 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

The show is pretty damn good,if it gets canceled I'll kill myself.

Yep. That's the only rational response.

#30 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024: @War Killer: Quick recap; Loeb is an idiot. And yes, he did insult himself :P

I don't think he himself is an idiot, it's just when it comes to how he's running Marvel's cartoons, he's be idiotic about it.

So he's basically an idiot when handed any creative control.

Moderator
#31 Posted by War Killer (20136 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@War Killer said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambit1024: @War Killer: Quick recap; Loeb is an idiot. And yes, he did insult himself :P

I don't think he himself is an idiot, it's just when it comes to how he's running Marvel's cartoons, he's being idiotic about it.

So he's basically an idiot when handed any creative control.

When it comes to Marvel's cartoons, then currently yes. :P
#32 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there anything that Loeb HASN'T ruined?

#33 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

If this gets cancelled I'm calling some Gangsters to give some lessons...LOL. Seriously if it is done, I will not just be pissed I will go to DC get a Red Power Ring and show the world how angry I am about my loss. 
Personally I think they will not  cancel it cause I know a ton of people who think the same way, however if he does he will be better off dead as far as fans are concerned...seriously their are some seriously wacked out fans(thank goodness I don't know any...they're a little extreme) who will show their disappointment to him in person.
Lets hope they don't cancel it...if they do then I will officially be Marvel's first retired Marvelologist(its a occupation after all...LOL).

#34 Posted by madmartin760 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everbody who's seen the show can agree it's one Marvel's best animations, if not they're best ever. I can't imagine they'll try 2 make it like USM, which will b shocking if it makes it 2 another season. EMH is the first cartoon that makes a real effort 2 stick 2 the comics, thank u 4 finally listening 2 our pleas!!!

#35 Posted by sithfrog (909 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't cancel it. I DVR it and look forward to watching it weekly. I've even gotten my wife somewhat interested in it. Why? Because it is one of the best handlings of a team in animation. The plots (especially arcs) have been spot on, the cast well chosen, and the mix of characters great. I think it would be a HUGE mistake to get rid of a show that is so popular, has a decent fan base, and is so well done. And who does Loeb think he's fooling? You primary fan base will either 1) not miss any episodes...period 2) use said DVR or 3) be savvy enough to either piece together what's happened OR just roll with it because it's so entertaining.

#36 Posted by sithfrog (909 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by BatWatch (2610 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoy the series, but it seems most of you like it more than me.

When I first started watching it, I really enjoyed it, but by half way through the series, I became really tired of the lack of character development. You get to know the character is their origin stories, but after that, they focus on little more than action. I want it to continue, but I want it to be better.

#38 Posted by Shadowsnake89 (413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

@Deranged Midget: So, what? He wants to make it a show about the individual characters, rather than a show about the team itself?

Yeah, because that worked out so well for the S.W.A.T. movie. And if they cancel this show Marvel has lost me as a viewer.
#39 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make EMH more like Ultimate Spiderman I will definitely not watch. Ultimate Spiderman is horrible, its like watching Deadpool in a Spiderman costume. Since when does Spiderman brake the fourth wall?

#40 Edited by ChainLinkedFilms (12 posts) - - Show Bio

That's terrible! It's a great show! This is perhaps one of the best animated series to date! That's too bad...

#41 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio
Loeb's future plans are not looking good for the series, and from what I've seen, he is looking to model a new Avenger's series based off of The Ultimate Spider-man series....yeah.

I like Ultimate SIperman a lot but I have to scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Spiderman is one thing, you can make him cool, clever and make him say random jokes :D but you can't do that to The Avengers !!!

#42 Posted by The Stegman (23949 posts) - - Show Bio

If they do, like everyone else is saying, it will be a shame since I genuinely like the show, at least a lot more than the crap that is Ultimate Spider-Man, but alas, we are dealing with Marvel, so stupid decisions won't surprise me.

#43 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChainLinkedFilms said:

That's terrible! It's a great show! This is perhaps one of the best animated series to date! That's too bad...

No!!!

#44 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChainLinkedFilms said:

That's terrible! It's a great show! This is perhaps one of the best animated series to date! That's too bad...

I agree with this

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.