Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Who do you think never should have become an Avenger?

• 146 results
    Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@oldnightcrawler: well the Avengers were meant to be a decent sized group of Earth Mightiest Heroes. These days damn near anyone can get in.

A lot of these heroes would be better fitted for different teams/stories.

yeah, I get that.. but to say that some characters "never should have become Avengers" implies that the range of different types of characters who have been Avengers would be way less diverse, and, to my mind, much less interesting.

I mean, to me, what makes the Avengers interesting as a concept is that most lineups are made up of characters from their own disparate mythologies or sub-genres; so for the Avengers to be limited to a specific genre themselves seems to totally miss the point. I mean, a huge part of the appeal is that you get to see characters who seemingly have nothing in common interact, because it's those interactions that are most interesting about the stories.

In hindsight it's easy to see how a character like Black Widow or Hawkeye might be more in their element in another, more specific genre book, and those books are out there, but that Hawkeye thought he could be in the same league as Iron Man or Thor, and ended up being an inspiration to both of them, is a big part of not only what makes Hawkeye special, but what makes the Avengers special too.

Some people seem to see the Avengers in terms of other superhero teams, but to me that also misses the point. You see all this nonsense about how members of the X-men or the FF shouldn't be Avengers, but in my mind the X-men and FF represent just two specific corners of the MU, with their own specific themes and types of stories, the same way we might think of Black Widow or Dr.Strange inhabiting more specific corners because of their individual strengths/sub-genres; the Avengers, on the other hand, have always been at the center of this rich mosaic.

They're where the best and most interesting of all the corners come together; they're the embodiment of the overlapping sub-genres that you only see in a shared universe. They're like the ultimate team-up book, and that is (and should be) their strength, because that's really what makes them most special.

I mean, I'm not saying I don't see the appeal of more specialized books like the Secret Avengers, the Illuminati, or what have you, because those books can play to what some specific characters thematically have in common that other characters don't, but for the Avengers themselves, as a team or a book, I really think it should be anything goes.

I mean, characters like Wolverine, Daredevil, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, Dr.Strange, Namor, Black Panther, etc, etc, may all have perfectly good reasons for not being on the team (or for the team not calling them up when they're having a membership drive or whatever), and if none of them ever were again, that would make sense. But that they all have been a part of the team doesn't just add to their individual characters, it definitively is what makes the team and it's stories so diverse and interesting.

That's a compelling and insightful explanation. I wish I had read this earlier. While I am not entirely convinced that Wolverine or Mr Fantastic should be members of the Avengers, I can definitely see what you are saying. Hats off to you, man.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quickfingers26: thanks!

and thanks for bothering to read it, guys, sorry it's so long..

Psy_chrometer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Only reason Blade is on Mighty Avengers is because he needed help. He doesn't plan to stay and do their superheroics. That jusf isn't his thing.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Think Storm's inclusion may be the most pointless in recent memory considering how little she was featured. (I am for X-Men joining the team though, maybe just to shut up those in-comic voices that claim the Avengers are indifferent or anti-mutant.)

That said, Newsarama posted a top 10 (oh wow...) of quite useless/rubbish/dangerous additions to the team that most people have forgotten. Current one that springs to mind: Triatlon...

JReed2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@magnetic_eye: Would you have wanted Hank to remain in the role, or have someone else take over?

Hank has had several identities, all of which I really like and I believe should be exclusive to him. It's what made him different to all other Marvel characters and is part of the appeal for me. In terms of Ant-Man, I would've liked him to reprise the role from time to time.

The thing about Pym is nowadays is he's more of a legacy character, with Goliath, and all the Antmans. But he always keeps his eyes on the future to make sure new heroes are always on the rise, which to me makes him one of the greatest Avengers ever. Just look at the amount of superheroes he's given powers to, that should be an explanation enough on how deeply Pym's decisions effect the overall universe. That said, I'm one of the few who would rather not have him overlooked. Scott was only good for one thing, introducing us to Cassie. The fact that Marvel killed her off to bring her father back is just silly to me, but to each their own.

Other notable character who became avengers include wolverine, and any x-man, including beast because how many super scientist do the avengers have... and by comparison how many do the x-men have? the dark avengers cause thunderbolts exists. red hulk, spiderman, blade, the fantastic four who should always be better adventurers than superheroes. And any villain who has spent more time being a villain than being a hero, just imo.

Avatar image for tenebrous_guile
    Tenebrous_Guile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Storm. What did she do again?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By THORSON

realistically. captain america. he should have died in the ice.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayvers said:

Spider-Man AND Wolverine. Yeah sure the Avengers have had tons of crap members (Jocasta? Dr Druid? Sersi? Gilgamesh? Rage? And who or what the hell is Ex Nihilo?) BUT...because Quesada allowed the Bendis-ification of Marvel (inexplicably) where Bendis controls all and writes all...I guess we had to have this rammed down our throats. The single worst concept in Marvel the past decade. These guys do not need to be in the group nor should they. How is it physically possible for Wolverine to be on EVERY team in Marvel U?

if you have time to read all those stories (and live the rest of your life), why would it be impossible for him to have been in them all? I mean, that is his whole life, right?

I have to disagree with you about Wolverine and Spider-man being Avengers, though. Especially Spider-man; his stories as an Avenger were probably the best Spider-man stories of the past decade. And him and Wolverine on the same team was hilarious.

Fredcdobbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punisher, not that he ever would be.

Denam_Pavel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wolverine, Red Hulk, Ares, Sentry, Ex Nihilo

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@jreed2008: how dare you have your own opinion that conflicts with mine? This will not stand sirrah!!!

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Unpopular opinion probably but Hulk. He's always been a danger to basically everyone and it's not as a result of possession or temporary corruption, he's ingrained with deadly, destructive x-factor that has him turning on people all the time. Every recent iteration of Hulk outside of the comics has him attacking his own teammates. I was watching Avengers again recently and right between him trying to kill Black Widow and Thor, I just had to wonder why he's even worth the risk. Hulk could very easily kill people in the crossfire.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@hexthis: Hulk's really not that bad on the comics from what I know. He really only attacks if he's tricked or goaded into it (like in Avengers)

Twinblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, all of the x-m. I'd not read another Avengers with the x-m in it.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@cloakx14 said:

Storm, hank pym.

Whaaat? The Avengers were Hank's idea. He's a founding member.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey and Wolverine. Never liked their addition to the main team, they're better left as reserve members imo.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NaveTorment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NaveTorment

Okay I'm gonna deviate a little from the topic here. But I was going through the older "first appearance" costumes for our favourite cinematic Avengers and it seems to me that they... really... really didn't seem like they'd be the face of a multi-billion-dollar franchise:

No Caption Provided

Imagine if Tony and Cap never changed their appearances/costumes? The Norton-Hulk would've definitely looked more badass but at the same time wouldn't have had the same smoothness as Ruffalo-Hulk's Avatar-tech; Widow looks like a red-headed Barbie; and Thor would've been, like it or not, made fun of for wearing that helmet for too long. I think Samuel L. Jackson and J. Renner would've been the ones who'd lend some believability to the team if Marvel never updated from this. Though you gotta love those goofy/clunky first-appearances, I feel like there's a story here somewhere...

Aw who am I kiddin, I'd root for that mess of a team!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#72  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@cloakx14 said:

Storm, hank pym.

Hank Pym invented the Avengers

chamber-music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine and Spider-Man.

How many teams does Wolverine really need to be on?

Spidey works better as a solo hero. Spidey can team up and be a short term team member but I'm not a fan of him being a permanent team member.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Spider-man, Wolverine, Red Hulk, Sentry, Blue Marvel, Dr Strange.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Norman Osborne and the dark avengers.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: let's just all admit it, blade is there because it's a African American avengers team pretty much, not saying I have any problems with that.

Sam Wilson is going to be their Captain America also, coincidence?

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@oldnightcrawler: well the Avengers were meant to be a decent sized group of Earth Mightiest Heroes. These days damn near anyone can get in.

yeah, I get that.. but to say that some characters "never should have become Avengers" implies that the range of different types of characters who have been Avengers would be way less diverse, and, to my mind, much less interesting.

I mean, to me, what makes the Avengers interesting as a concept is that most lineups are made up of characters from their own disparate mythologies or sub-genres; so for the Avengers to be limited to a specific genre themselves seems to totally miss the point. I mean, a huge part of the appeal is that you get to see characters who seemingly have nothing in common interact, because it's those interactions that are most interesting about the stories.

In hindsight it's easy to see how a character like Black Widow or Hawkeye might be more in their element in another, more specific genre book, and those books are out there, but that Hawkeye thought he could be in the same league as Iron Man or Thor, and ended up being an inspiration to both of them, is a big part of not only what makes Hawkeye special, but what makes the Avengers special too.

Some people seem to see the Avengers in terms of other superhero teams, but to me that also misses the point. You see all this nonsense about how members of the X-men or the FF shouldn't be Avengers, but in my mind the X-men and FF represent just two specific corners of the MU, with their own specific themes and types of stories, the same way we might think of Black Widow or Dr.Strange inhabiting more specific corners because of their individual strengths/sub-genres; the Avengers, on the other hand, have always been at the center of this rich mosaic.

They're where the best and most interesting of all the corners come together; they're the embodiment of the overlapping sub-genres that you only see in a shared universe. They're like the ultimate team-up book, and that is (and should be) their strength, because that's really what makes them most special.

I mean, I'm not saying I don't see the appeal of more specialized books like the Secret Avengers, the Illuminati, or what have you, because those books can play to what some specific characters thematically have in common that other characters don't, but for the Avengers themselves, as a team or a book, I really think it should be anything goes.

I mean, characters like Wolverine, Daredevil, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, Dr.Strange, Namor, Black Panther, etc, etc, may all have perfectly good reasons for not being on the team (or for the team not calling them up when they're having a membership drive or whatever), and if none of them ever were again, that would make sense. But that they all have been a part of the team doesn't just add to their individual characters, it definitively is what makes the team and it's stories so diverse and interesting.

You make some good points, but when the Avengers becomes an "anything goes" team-up book, they lose their identity. They may be at the center of the Marvel universe, but that doesn't mean they should let just any hero in, become a bloated roster, or recruit based on popularity. So many teams have called themselves "Avengers" that it's become flavorless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@slimj87d said:

@blackwind: let's just all admit it, blade is there because it's a African American avengers team pretty much, not saying I have any problems with that.

Sam Wilson is going to be their Captain America also, coincidence?

...Possibly? I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wolverine, Spider-Man, Squirrel Girl and Daredevil.

DAMN!

Too late.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: well of course you don't, because this is a conversation between two other people. Did you bother to read his post?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@squares: well of course you don't, because this is a conversation between two other people. Did you bother to read his post?

Why yes, I did, and it mentioned nothing about Falcon becoming Captain America, which is what I want you to clarify your point on.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You make some good points, but when the Avengers becomes an "anything goes" team-up book, they lose their identity. They may be at the center of the Marvel universe, but that doesn't mean they should let just any hero in, become a bloated roster, or recruit based on popularity. So many teams have called themselves "Avengers" that it's become flavorless.

Unless that is their identity.

I'm not saying that just any and every character would make a good Avenger, but there's a whole huge selection of classic Avengers stories in which we see why certain characters aren't always the best fit for the Avengers (as a team), but they still become a big part of what's great about the Avengers (as a story).

For years Hank Pym wasn't a good fit for the team, but for much of that time he was still one of the main characters, and has become one of the classics because of it. Hulk was deemed not a good fit like right away, but he's still come back to the story in a lot of great ways over the years because he's such a part of them being a team in the first place. The second lineup, Cap's "kooky quartet," are all considered classic Avengers characters now, but it was literally a carnival archer and a couple of X-men villains. They offered Vision a spot on the team the very same day he tried to kill them. Don't even get me started on the Sentry.

I'm not sure what the Avengers identity as a group is, and I doubt there's any two Avengers fans who would even strictly agree, but based on their rich history, I would submit that letting pretty much any one join has always been a part of it.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: True. Whereas the Fantastic Four are a group of people, the Avengers are more like a flame that is kept alive with each incarnation of the team. But with so many characters moving in and out all the time, it feels a little impersonal. The revolving door roster makes it difficult to believe that they are truly a team and not just a bunch of slots that need filling. Maybe it's just me, but the Avengers seem aloof from each other, like the team name and traditions are all just a formality, which may be so, considering what happened with Civil War and the Dark Avengers.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: he said blade joined the Avengers because he needed help, I said he really joined because marvel is pushing diversity, which isn't a bad thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True. Whereas the Fantastic Four are a group of people, the Avengers are more like a flame that is kept alive with each incarnation of the team.

nice, I like that. And I totally agree.

But with so many characters moving in and out all the time, it feels a little impersonal. The revolving door roster makes it difficult to believe that they are truly a team and not just a bunch of slots that need filling. Maybe it's just me, but the Avengers seem aloof from each other, like the team name and traditions are all just a formality, which may be so, considering what happened with Civil War and the Dark Avengers.

I totally agree with this sentiment, actually. It's the main reason I couldn't get into Hickman's Avengers and that whole side of things: the characters just seemed interchangeable and like it had nothing to do with the relationships between characters, or any kind of group dynamic. Like you say, it just felt impersonal.

What I was more getting at was that even the best, most all-star Avengers teams have had at least some new members. Every new member is a roll of the dice, but every character was a new member at some point. Some stay around or come back as classics, and most don't; but the really great teams all have those one or two or three new members that come in and add a new perspective to the story and the legacy of the team.

Right now I think a good team for staying true to the kind of legacy the Avengers have had, the keepers of the flame, I guess, would be Luke Cage's Mighty Avengers. It's a nice mix of classic Avengers character, with a few new members being brought into the fold in a really organic way. It doesn't have any of the big 3 or any of those great 60's Avengers, but I remember when Falcon was the newest member, and when She-Hulk and Monica were the newest members, and when Captain America told Luke Cage he should lead the Avengers, so to me they're all part of that same legacy.

4U2NV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder man, Scarlet, her brother, Tiagra, Hawkeye, and Black Widow. I like them more as a villain.

PurePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PurePower

Anyone that wasn't an Avenger before.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MarlboroMan

Wolverine : I love him as a X-men and a loner he being everywhere at once annoys me, making wolverine this heroic, killing his originality and what made him cool.

Storm/Rogue/Sunfire/Havok: They just don't fit, they should have stayed as X-men only.

Daredevil/Spiderman: They being avenger was not a character development it was just complete inconsistency with their characteristics. Only team i was okay they were in was Marvel Knights(like i said only okay with not love it) but Avengers is just completely wrong.

Hulk: I have no problem on his story on starting as an Avenger and stuff but he shouldn't have come back, so many things happened between those years, too many conflicts. He should never agreed this and Avengers would never have invited him due to the events of World War Hulk. Only a stupid move to make movie fans feel more connected.

Black Panther: I love him as a close/powerful ally to the team but not part of it.

Thing: This goes for every F4 characters, they should stay as F4 only. If you gonna get them to other places make it between F4 related stuff, like temporary hanging out with Inhumans or being ally with Galactus or whatever.

Black Widow: If you gonna make her a Avenger at least use it on spec op versions of the team, she being on most exposed team on the universe everyday and happened to being an superspy is just not working for very obvious reasons.

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: don't hate just because Scott's starring in the movie and you're afraid that Hank will be phased out.

doesn't even make sense, why is he even in the movie.

Fantastic Four, most Xmen members, D Man

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hammer_of_j2: why wouldn't Scott Lang be in an Ant-Man movie? Or are you asking why he's getting a movie.

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hammer_of_j2: why wouldn't Scott Lang be in an Ant-Man movie? Or are you asking why he's getting a movie.

I'd understand if he eventually got a movie, but having him star in the first movie isn't right

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the XM including Scarlet and Quick.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The Academy. Like, the entire Academy.

(To everyone who said Pym, the Avengers was his idea in the first place!)

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

This is fair.

The team Avengers responds to many kinds of threats and so thus the team is made up of people that can deal with that threat.

So if it is a mild level threat then why send the big guys and it if it magical in nature why not make Dr. Strange a member of the team if nothing else to come and lend a hand when needed.

I like the fact there are many reserve members and some are just rare members but hey that is what makes the team great.

Need money see if you can go on duty , see a friend in need help out.

Avengers and those on reserve status its a huge roster of heroes.

X-men to Defenders to X-caliber.

The world of Marvel is huge and many stories waiting to be told or so we hope or so I hope.

From graphic novels to hard cover books. I wonder what they will come up with next?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@avenging_x_bolt: So was Ultron. And OMAC was Batman's idea. Not every idea out of someone's head is pure gold, no matter who they are.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: I didnt read Avengers Academy but the idea of a school that helps troubled meta humans sounds pretty good to me. Besides, none of the Academy students were Avengers anyway. The school was just run by them. I wouldn't compare that to Batman giant anti-meta human death satellite

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Spider-Man, Wolverine, Storm, Eric O'Grady, Maybe others.(Black Widow?)

This is probably just opinion based.

But Eric Was one of the best Avengers EVER!? D:

People are going to hate me for his but when I think of THE Avengers roster in my head it has Spider-Man on it, and I associated Wolverine more with the Avengers then the X-Men since the Wolverine has always sucked in X-Men books and been cool in his solo books in my opinion.

I say Ares since he was clearly never a good guy.

Fabulosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.