Which avengers comic is better?

Posted by Spideysense44 (3372 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Which avengers comic is better? (38 votes)

Avengers(marvel now) 32%
New avengers (marvel now) 74%

I say the new avengers

#1 Posted by Wolverine08 (41014 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are awesome, but I have to go with New Avengers.

#2 Posted by Cap10nate (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely prefer NA to Avengers. The characterizations in New Avengers are awesome. There is so much conflict among the team, but it is not overly melodramatic. This book does not have an overabundance of action scenes, but it doesn't need it. The dialogue is seems fitting for each character and Epting's art is perfect for the book.

Avengers has been good, but it hasn't pulled me in like NA. I'm really looking forward to see how this book progresses through Infinity . . . and beyond.

My favorite Avengers title at the moment though is Secret. The book is fun and full of action. There is also a lot going on with all the twists and turns. It is nice to see AIM as a viable threat and not just fodder in bee keeper suits. I love the humor that Spencer puts into the book, but mixes in a lot of depth as well.

#3 Edited by The Stegman (23894 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers by a long shot

#4 Edited by Spideysense44 (3372 posts) - - Show Bio

@cap10nate: I agree New Avengers is one of my fav. Marvel Now comics 8 was great and lol about the bee keeper suits

#5 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

don't know yet, i will pick up new avengers soon.

#6 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny Avengers......no love.....I know it is not selling as well but I do tend to enjoy that book the most (currently).

#7 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4433 posts) - - Show Bio

@spider11211 said:

Uncanny Avengers......no love.....I know it is not selling as well but I do tend to enjoy that book the most (currently).

I think Uncanny Avengers is the best Avengers book going right now; in fact, I'd argue it's the best Avengers book in years. I would concede that the current New Avengers is just as good, but it's really more of an Illuminati book than an Avengers book, and really just too different to compare.

As for why it isn't the most popular Avengers book (which it seems like it should be, both in theory and on how good it is), I think there are probably two main reasons:

1. The first 4 issue arc was slow, both in terms of when it shipped and how much happened in each issue. Arguably, it could have been a three issue arc. Not that it was bad, but it was slow, and by the time it really gets moving in issue 5, I think a lot of people had already been turned off.
  2. It seems like a lot of X-men fans, Avengers fans, and even fans of both (the people who it seems should be the most interested in this book), just don't like the idea of X-men characters being Avengers and have never really given the book a fair chance because of it. These are the kids who can't let their peas touch their mashed potatoes, if you know what I mean.

I actually didn't think I'd be all that interested in the book myself, initially, thinking that the idea just seemed too much of a contrivance to make what would probably be a redundant book. But, boy, am I glad I gave it a chance.

#8 Posted by TheGodofThunder (597 posts) - - Show Bio

I really cant imagine reading one without the other.

#9 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

Good point, I think this team reminds me of the original team when it comes to banter and inner problems.

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6252 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: That's unfortunate if fans didn't try it because of the mixing. My poll here seems to suggest that there's more positivity towards it than negativity. I like it though.

Anyway, as for the OP question, I don't read New Avengers, so I can't really give a proper answer. I don't buy it because it doesn't feature any favourite characters of mine, and I didn't think it really counted as a Avengers title, seeing as it seems to be more of an Illuminati title.

Avengers has been O.K., and has been getting better recently.

Avengers Assemble is good too. The format seems to be a little different, so I can't strictly compare it to the others, but it's a good read.

I liked Avengers A.I. #1, so hopefully the rest of the series will also be enjoyable.

Looking forward to Mighty Avengers. :)

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are terrible.

There hasn't been a good Avengers title since Slott's fluke with Mighty Avengers.

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14680 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers by a mile.

#13 Edited by adhd_assassin (524 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4433 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler:

Good point, I think this team reminds me of the original team when it comes to banter and inner problems.

exactly! it's kind of the most Avengery Avengers book right now.

#15 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

The classic lineup is nice, but New Avengers has great interactions between the characters. There's lots of conflict, and not just between our heroes. New Avengers is the one I'm reading so that's my choice.

#16 Posted by Spideysense44 (3372 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I moved and decided to revamp my pull list, trying to be more particular with my choices. Comics aren't cheap and I don't have room for titles that aren't ones I really enjoy.

But I decided to officially add Avengers and Infinity to my pull list for the new upcoming event.

#18 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Well I moved and decided to revamp my pull list, trying to be more particular with my choices. Comics aren't cheap and I don't have room for titles that aren't ones I really enjoy.

But I decided to officially add Avengers and Infinity to my pull list for the new upcoming event.

What did you remove from your pull list?

#19 Edited by batmannflash (6214 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers

#20 Posted by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Secret Avengers and Uncanny Avengers.

#21 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried the Secret Avengers...I just could not get into it.

I removed it from my list.

#22 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@spider11211: pretty much everything I had that was DC. Just not a fan of the overall work coming from them.

I added pretty much every Valiant title and something had to give. And to be honest I never really cared much about the DC universe as a whole except a couple characters.

#23 Posted by Spideysense44 (3372 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Cap10nate (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: I've also dropped almost all my DC titles to accommodate Valiant as well. I might be dropping my last two for Eternal Warrior and Unity over the next couple months as well.

#25 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.