Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7693 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Where should a beginner start?

• 59 results
    tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@mxyzptlk_cv: The movie would never had happened if the sales hasn't ben very high for 8 years. Of cause more people saw the movie than read the comics. But the Avengers was becoming very popular within the comic book industry which of cause had an influence on the sales. The more popular a character/team is within the industry this bigger it will be There are few expect ion to the this rule like the Blade movies (and the movie didn't have much to do with the comic book expect the name) but it is almost guaranteed that a movie will be more successful if it has a big following. If Avengers had still been selling 55K and instead of to books with over 100K then the movies would probably never have been made nor been that popular.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@nathaniel_christopher said:

I would never in this lifetime or any other recommend you go back to the very beginning of the team and read from there. That's quite simply a ridiculous amount of reading to go through, along with a pain to hunt down. I wouldn't suggest you do this for any team or any character really. If you ever have the time or the interest than by all means, but you don't need to do that to understand the team and the characters.

I really do think you can start with Bendis run on New Avengers and be fine going from there personally.

I am sorry but it is not hard to get the stories, and if you were wanting to read something in the first place I do not see an issue with it. Do you have to start at the beginning...no but it would not hurt to and you will find that you will get more out of it in the long run.

Duly noted.

As I said, I don't recommend a beginner due that and suggest they start with Bendis run on New Avengers and go from there. Reading from the beginning of Avengers history simply isn't necessary in my opinion. Rather beyond Bendis run i'd suggest a few classic trades to purchase. From there anyone should have no problem.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's settled than Bendis fans hate classic Avengers and classic Avengers fans hate Bendis street level Avengers. Now let the feud begin.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

So it's settled than Bendis fans hate classic Avengers and classic Avengers fans hate Bendis street level Avengers. Now let the feud begin.

I like both :v

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tigerkaya
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@oldnightcrawler: okay so your neutral.

I wouldn't say neutral, I only like good stories.

Bendis' isn't my favorite Avengers writer, but his best Avengers stuff (early New Avengers) is among my favorite Avengers runs.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@protocol_t: if you want to read some great Avengers stories, Comixology is currently having a sale on Kurt Busiek's entire run through Sunday. He wrote from 1998-2002. It's one of my favorite runs of all time and includes Ultron Unlimited and Kang Dynasty story arcs which are great.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya said:

I certainly wasn't saying this. I love both, but simply don't feel there's a need to read all of the Classic Era. (10 or 20 years from now i'll probably then be saying the same about the Bendis Era, etc.) I feel the point of it all is for the OP to catch up to where things are currently.

Romannumero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@green_skaar: What characters is in interested? isn't the same characters are in all the titles, I mean cap and Wolverine I see on most of the titles including Thor and Hulk. Except for Avengers AI, new avengers, and secret avengers, is there really a difference between avengers and avengers world?

Romannumero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where should I start reading, currently?

There is an encyclopedia about various marvel characters and groups you can pick up, that's how I got into it. I first started watching the show X-men, then my uncle gave me a book which was an encyclopedia about Marvel, after getting a little bit of history, I went started collected, begining in 96 Avengers Vol. 2 .

But if you are looking for a good place to start reading back stories, beg with Avengers Dissembled, then move on to Civil War, New Avengers vol.1 then the last two chapters of Secret Invasion TPB. After that begin reading Seige, then Avengers Vol. 4. The first Vol which is issues 1-7. After that skip on to now, currently.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.