What would people think of an all-black cast of MIGHTY AVENGERS?

• 137 results
#51 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea - but I just can't buy the part about BP serving under Falcon. I love both, but that just seems wrong. For what it's worth, BP technically isn't the leader of the Illuminati (that's more of a co-op thing), though I agree that the justification might be a bit tricky. I've heard that there are rumors of a BP movie in the MCU's Phase 3, so there's that.

#52 Edited by ShadowX (1207 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: i'm excited for the robot team myself as well just find it intresting. And I will. In fact I'll share who I have right now I migh expand in it. I used more obscure characters then people would expect because I tend not to like seeing people in multiple teams. Its a small pet peeve that I can deal with but when I try to make team rosters i try not to pick characters that arent in team books.

Falcon ( Leader)

War Machine

Living Lightning

Fire Bird

Puma

Amadeus Cho ( brains)

White Tiger ( Ava Ayla)

Photon ( Monica Reambeau) ( Co leader)

Faiza Hussain

Wildstreak

#53 Edited by tigerkaya (1281 posts) - - Show Bio

I see nothing wrong with this, I think it would be a breath of fresh air. I also want MI13 back as well.

#54 Posted by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

No love for other non black/white races?

#55 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like fun...but I don't like the idea of an all-black team JUST for the sake of their being one.

And I disagree with Mcduffie on some things.While he is right in some cases and points,others are completely wrong.A characters race has nothing to do with their feats.

#56 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg

The point would be to show—not that you shouldn't have whites or that teams should be segregated by race—but that there are so many worthy black characters that you should have no problem putting such a team together. Too often we see limits on how many black characters you can have on page at one time lest it be deemed a "black book" or a "minoriteam". Or, when a traditionally white mantle or team-slot gets passed on to a POC character, we have to hear that such a character was added only because of their race (see: Cyborgforums).

I think I greatly misunderstood you.In this case,I think that the team would be great...my only gripe would be that BP is being lead by falcon.I mean,BP,in my opinion at least,has FAR more leadership skills than Falcon.Although,it would be interesting to see a team of men led by a woman,because you usually won't see that often. And I hate tokenism.But this would be an interesting book,although the roster might be slightly different if it's actually done.

But if it is to showcase how capable these characters are,then sure.And of course you can create an Avengers Book like this that can be just as great as the other books.I think I greatly misunderstood what I read at first.Although I think that maybe Red Hulk should be added to the team...or maybe She Hulk.

Better yet Colleen Wing or Sif.I pick those characters because they are amazing characters that don't get as much attention as they should.I don't think their gender has anything to do with it,but just that companies feel the need to push certain characters to get money (like Batman and Superman,rather than WW.I don't think her gender has anything to do with it.Rather that DC wants to get as much from their cash cows as possible.And I think that's the reason why many of these characters haven't really been pushed).In short,great idea (now that I've actually understood your point of this team).But I think some other characters could be added.

@BlackArmor said:

The thing is that nobody said it shouldn't be done with white characters. It is being done with white characters it's just that nobody thinks it's worth mentioning because in the modern world an all white team isn't seen as weird. The point of this team seems to be to get black and by extension other races to a point where they could have an all one race team up, whether it be for 1 issue or as a series, without people batting an eye. Because for the most part people don't bat an eye at all white teams and there's nothing really all that wrong with that except the no other race can do it. I didn't make this thread so of course my views aren't the same as Fodigg's, this is just how I as a black person interpret what he's trying to do here and i certainly agree with elevating other races to where they can have all one race teams too.

That's some very good points. It is odd to think that an all white team is nothing out of the normal. I still think though, that race specific teams is not the way to go. Instead of showing equality through separation, it should be equality through integration. Now, if the team was constructed in a natural way, like a family team such as Fantastic Four, than an mono-race team is fine. I do agree that more black (among other races of course) need to be implemented in comics. The best way to do so though, is by introducing new characters and increasing activity and advertisement on current ones.

I agree.

#57 Posted by tigerkaya (1281 posts) - - Show Bio

With the members added I'd like to see a god join but from the african mythology of either Eshu, Anansi or FA.

#58 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh wow lots of replies. Cool to see this one get so many bumps!

@veshark said:

I like the idea - but I just can't buy the part about BP serving under Falcon. I love both, but that just seems wrong. For what it's worth, BP technically isn't the leader of the Illuminati (that's more of a co-op thing), though I agree that the justification might be a bit tricky. I've heard that there are rumors of a BP movie in the MCU's Phase 3, so there's that.

When I put Falcon in that slot I was kinda assuming that he'd be increasing in prominence because of an appearance in Avengers 2. Otherwise I find him unremarkable. With Black Panther...I don't know what's going on with that franchise film-wise. They've been trying to make it for years. But I figured I'd want the best-known properties for the general audience, hence those two leading (i.e., him and War Machine). I figure if he's got SHIELD support, that might be what gets others to fall behind Falcon.

@shadowx said:

@fodigg: i'm excited for the robot team myself as well just find it intresting. And I will. In fact I'll share who I have right now I migh expand in it. I used more obscure characters then people would expect because I tend not to like seeing people in multiple teams. Its a small pet peeve that I can deal with but when I try to make team rosters i try not to pick characters that arent in team books.

Falcon ( Leader)

War Machine

Living Lightning

Fire Bird

Puma

Amadeus Cho ( brains)

White Tiger ( Ava Ayla)

Faiza Hussain

Wildstreak

My favorites from this list are Cho, Ava, Photon, and Faiza. Any one of those characters could hold down a solo title (granted, it was a different white tiger in her solo, but still). Great roster! (Love how many people are down with MI:13 on this thread.)

I see nothing wrong with this, I think it would be a breath of fresh air. I also want MI13 back as well.

Indeed.

@nerx said:

This is just one pitch. It's not zero-sum, there are lots of under-represented groups in comics and you can be supporting them simultaneously. This sort of title doesn't mean you can be introduce or increasing exposure for characters of other minorities. Or introducing other all-minority teams, either in support roles or in similar titles. (I admit I've always been curious about the Triumph Division that was introduced in Iron Man.)

@fodigg

The point would be to show—not that you shouldn't have whites or that teams should be segregated by race—but that there are so many worthy black characters that you should have no problem putting such a team together. Too often we see limits on how many black characters you can have on page at one time lest it be deemed a "black book" or a "minoriteam". Or, when a traditionally white mantle or team-slot gets passed on to a POC character, we have to hear that such a character was added only because of their race (see: Cyborgforums).

I think I greatly misunderstood you.In this case,I think that the team would be great...my only gripe would be that BP is being lead by falcon.I mean,BP,in my opinion at least,has FAR more leadership skills than Falcon.Although,it would be interesting to see a team of men led by a woman,because you usually won't see that often. And I hate tokenism.But this would be an interesting book,although the roster might be slightly different if it's actually done.

But if it is to showcase how capable these characters are,then sure.And of course you can create an Avengers Book like this that can be just as great as the other books.I think I greatly misunderstood what I read at first.Although I think that maybe Red Hulk should be added to the team...or maybe She Hulk.

Better yet Colleen Wing or Sif.I pick those characters because they are amazing characters that don't get as much attention as they should.I don't think their gender has anything to do with it,but just that companies feel the need to push certain characters to get money (like Batman and Superman,rather than WW.I don't think her gender has anything to do with it.Rather that DC wants to get as much from their cash cows as possible.And I think that's the reason why many of these characters haven't really been pushed).In short,great idea (now that I've actually understood your point of this team).But I think some other characters could be added.

I agree that part of it is the "flagship character quota" where they have to be pushing X number of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, or Wolverine titles each month. I understand why those characters are popular, I understand they need to capitalize on that to sell books, but that's a lot of books right off the bat that star white men. There are other characters that deserve attention. (Including other white male characters, of course, but on this thread we're focusing on minorities.)

With the members added I'd like to see a god join but from the african mythology of either Eshu, Anansi or FA.

Is Anansi the one from the Morlun arc in Spider-Man? I liked that arc, but I felt like they never did much with him. That'd be an interesting choice, especially if they squared him off against Ai Apaec from Dark Avengers.

#59 Posted by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Oh wow lots of replies. Cool to see this one get so many bumps!

@veshark said:

When I put Falcon in that slot I was kinda assuming that he'd be increasing in prominence because of an appearance in Avengers 2. Otherwise I find him unremarkable. With Black Panther...I don't know what's going on with that franchise film-wise. They've been trying to make it for years. But I figured I'd want the best-known properties for the general audience, hence those two leading (i.e., him and War Machine). I figure if he's got SHIELD support, that might be what gets others to fall behind Falcon.

@shadowx said:

Falcon ( Leader)

War Machine

Living Lightning

Fire Bird

Puma

Amadeus Cho ( brains)

White Tiger ( Ava Ayla)

Faiza Hussain

Wildstreak

My favorites from this list are Cho, Ava, Photon, and Faiza. Any one of those characters could hold down a solo title (granted, it was a different white tiger in her solo, but still). Great roster! (Love how many people are down with MI:13 on this thread.)

@tigerkaya said:

Indeed.

@nerx said:

This is just one pitch. It's not zero-sum, there are lots of under-represented groups in comics and you can be supporting them simultaneously. This sort of title doesn't mean you can be introduce or increasing exposure for characters of other minorities. Or introducing other all-minority teams, either in support roles or in similar titles. (I admit I've always been curious about the Triumph Division that was introduced in Iron Man.)

@cameron83 said:

@fodigg

I agree that part of it is the "flagship character quota" where they have to be pushing X number of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, or Wolverine titles each month. I understand why those characters are popular, I understand they need to capitalize on that to sell books, but that's a lot of books right off the bat that star white men. There are other characters that deserve attention. (Including other white male characters, of course, but on this thread we're focusing on minorities.)

@tigerkaya said:

Is Anansi the one from the Morlun arc in Spider-Man? I liked that arc, but I felt like they never did much with him. That'd be an interesting choice, especially if they squared him off against Ai Apaec from Dark Avengers.

I agree.So many characters need ALOT more exposure.But you know how it is when money runs the world?

I mean,I don't think that those characters are starred in the books BECAUSE they are white,which is what I thought you were saying from before.

But all you're saying is that there are ALOT more characters that need at least some of that exposure (in this specific case,we're focusing on minorities),which I agree.But again...money....big companies...etc.

#60 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@BlackArmor: I miss Dwayne McDuffie. Also worth linking, his mock proposal taking the piss out of Marvel Comics' dismal offerings of black heroes at the time:

(Source: http://www.shadowandact.com/?p=40057)

It seems kind of odd that he chose to mock their handling of black characters at that particular point, when just one month earlier they had released (so I'm told)the first ever black female solo comic book, Captain Marvel #1 - The Dream Is The Truth, which he himself wrote. I get that he may have had a problem with other characters, but it seems strange that he would overlook a big thing like that, that he obviously knew about.

I realise this doesn't really add much to the thread, but I thought I'd mention it.

#61 Posted by ShadowX (1207 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: thanks I'm glad you liked it. My team would have a pretty similar idea behind it as yours. Also collen wing and misty knight almost made it but because of my pet peeve of not liking characters in more then one team book i left misty knight, and for some reason collen wing with out misty just aint right.

The reason I chose Aya was because i remember in Avengers Academy she said something along the lines of Reptil needing to be more involved with the latino commnity so i can easly see her joining in as a member of this group. Also I forgot to mention but Puma would be the hero that funds the team and creates the base of operations for them.

#62 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@BlackArmor: I miss Dwayne McDuffie. Also worth linking, his mock proposal taking the piss out of Marvel Comics' dismal offerings of black heroes at the time:

(Source: http://www.shadowandact.com/?p=40057)

It seems kind of odd that he chose to mock their handling of black characters at that particular point, when just one month earlier they had released (

so I'm told

)the first ever black female solo comic book,

Captain Marvel #1 - The Dream Is The Truth

, which he himself wrote. I get that he may have had a problem with other characters, but it seems strange that he would overlook a big thing like that, that he obviously knew about.

I realise this doesn't really add much to the thread, but I thought I'd mention it.

I don't think one book -- one that he's writing himself -- is necessarily a sign that things were changing at Marvel. He was trying to instigate a line-wide mentality shift.

#63 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx said:

Falcon ( Leader)

War Machine

Living Lightning

Fire Bird

Puma

Amadeus Cho ( brains)

White Tiger ( Ava Ayla)

I think this team could be awesome! I love Falcon and Photon, they both deserve more spotlight as classic Avengers. War Machine, too; I mean, he was Iron during some the Avengers most classic stories. and I love Cho. Also: Puma, very interesting choice, I always liked him.

I think I'd only switch a few of those roles, myself.

I love the idea of Falcon and Photon co-leading a team, and Rohdey is just great. Those are great,classic Avengers to use as your basis. I added Monet because it seemed like the team could use a bruiser, and it would make them the only Avengers to have a telepath. I sort of picture her coming on board by way of Manifold, since they have both been mentored by Gateway (who would also be cool to see, even if he's not an active member). Also, since I noticed Prodigy's moved over into the Avengers world, I thought it might be cool to see him and Cho on the same team. And I like how both Monet and Prodigy bring in a connection to the X-men (who, naturally, would be represented by Storm here) without making it seem like a big deal.

I really love your idea about having Puma be their benefactor, so I'd totally go with that. I also think this would be a good Avengers team to work in relation to SHIELD, since Falcon, Photon, Rhodey, and Manifold all have backgrounds in that sort of thing, and Prodigy and Monet certainly seem like they'd have an aptitude for it.

#64 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6532 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Oh of course, I just meant that he could have used it as an example of a positive step that they could continue with.

#65 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the idea/concept. It is actually weird that in universes full of superhumans, there are rarely(if never) teams of a single ethnicity, but ironically tons of all white teams.

#66 Posted by SoA (5241 posts) - - Show Bio

replace falcon with anybody else and ok

#67 Posted by Oscars94 (2619 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear some moderators are telepaths. They almost got the roster completely right! Was the inclusion of Powerman and White Tiger pushed by the creators of the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon? Also I love the fact that Luke Cage is leading another team! And Blue Marvel is a BAMF!

#68 Posted by Spawn92 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

I think someone at Marvel read this thread and thought "this could work!"

#69 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

Here it is ladies and gentlemen!!!! Our wish is their command. I'm actually stoked for this comic. I get to read about Falcon (Who I always thought was underrated), Spectrum (Monica Rambeau, who I've loved since Stern's Avengers: Under Siege), White Tiger (Who I liked in Avengers Academy) and learn about characters I don't know much about, Blue Marvel, and the new Power Man. Plus they say there will be more character, eventually.

#70 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio
#71 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't just go Black for the sake of it.. Go black to piss some purists! Blacksploitation Baby!

Blacktain America

Iron Brotha

Blackeye

Widow

Blulk

Thug Odinson

#72 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio
#73 Posted by DigbyKong (300 posts) - - Show Bio

Fine with me. Is their an etchnicity and gender checklist for comic book teams or something? Must have 3 white male characters, check. Must have two minority characters, check. Must have one female, check.

#74 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio
#75 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME! Clearly comicvine is being watched by people at marvel. THANKS!!! =P

#76 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6455 posts) - - Show Bio

Its racist.

#77 Edited by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio
#78 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6455 posts) - - Show Bio
#79 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio
#80 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

It's official. I went to pick up my comicbooks yesterday and asked them to put it on my pull list when it comes out! :-)

#81 Edited by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

I say sure but they need a token white character

#82 Edited by UltimateJonathan (107 posts) - - Show Bio

As a black comic reader, I really do not care for an all black or predominately black superhero team. I only care about character.

#83 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

As a black comic reader, I really do not care for an all black or predominately black superhero team. I only care about character.

I personally feel the same way, but I am excited to see so many of my favorite, overlooked characters being featured in the same book. And I'm even more interested in the idea that none of these characters are there just to be the black character, which I think will give them all that much more of a chance to really stand out for what's actually cool about them, which is something almost of these characters deserve.

#84 Edited by jumpstart55 (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

So what would that make the Black Panther, the White Panther?

#85 Posted by jumpstart55 (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if Black Panther was the leader, i'm sorry but Falcons way to lame to be the leader.

#86 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the falcon is the leader. Who is though? Blue Marvel?

#87 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8812 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the development and personality of the character is more important than their color or gender. That being said wasn't there a bit of backlash from Miles Morales because it seemed they made a multi-ethnic Spider-Man simply for the sake of making a big name multi-ethnic hero? I am all for something like this, I think both Black Panther and Luke Cage are great characters, but it should be done with reason rather than just doing it for the appearance of appealing to political correctness. It's all in the writing and delivery.

#88 Posted by longbowhunter (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

Provided the reason for an all black Avengers was a good one and Bishop wasn't on the team, I'd be down.

#89 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier said:

I think the development and personality of the character is more important than their color or gender. That being said wasn't there a bit of backlash from Miles Morales because it seemed they made a multi-ethnic Spider-Man simply for the sake of making a big name multi-ethnic hero? I am all for something like this, I think both Black Panther and Luke Cage are great characters, but it should be done with reason rather than just doing it for the appearance of appealing to political correctness. It's all in the writing and delivery.

That and the fact that he has essentially replaced pete in the ultimate universe. But the writing and story has hands down been the best out of the ultimate universe thus far. And as a result, people have come to love the character.

And when you say "done with reason" what do you mean by that? How else could they create such a cast, without coming off as being "politically correct"? It's simply impossibly because when you look at the cover it's blatantly clear that an african american dominant team was put together on purpose. Why? Because we're so used to it being the other way around. Sometimes you need to be politically correct in order to progress and break down that way of thinking.

#90 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8812 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines: Well with the new "Mighty" isn't everyone else supposedly off-world? I'm not entirely sure of the setup since I haven't really been following it, but if everyone else is gone I suppose that gives reason why it is the way it is. I suppose I should have clarified in my other post that the reasoning should exist in the comic itself. Not outside in our world.

When I say done with reason I just mean that it has more meaning than "an all (insert ethnic group) team for the sake of having that (insert ethnic group again) team". I think with new "Mighty" they are off to a great start with interesting characters like Luke Cage and Monica Rambeau (I don't know anything really about Blue Marvel or Falcon), and it will largely succeed due to how they have the team form and how well the book itself is written.

Now don't misunderstand, I am all for the idea. I just support the idea of making it a strong team that has a chance of being popular and well written, and not a Marvel experiment that falls by the wayside.

#91 Posted by UltimateJonathan (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatejonathan said:

I personally feel the same way, but I am excited to see so many of my favorite, overlooked characters being featured in the same book. And I'm even more interested in the idea that none of these characters are there just to be the black character, which I think will give them all that much more of a chance to really stand out for what's actually cool about them, which is something almost of these characters deserve.

True, true.

#92 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if Black Panther was the leader, i'm sorry but Falcons way to lame to be the leader.

I don't think the falcon is the leader. Who is though? Blue Marvel?

Falcon isn't the leader. Cage will be the team leader, and Spectrum (Monica Rambeau) will be the field leader. According to some interviews with Ewing.

#93 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

That being said wasn't there a bit of backlash from Miles Morales because it seemed they made a multi-ethnic Spider-Man simply for the sake of making a big name multi-ethnic hero?

The only person I ever saw criticizing the Miles Morales decision (at least openly) being Spider-Man was Glenn Beck. Most other people were really just saying it matter of factly on other news outlets (at least where I'm at).

#94 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the fact that wishes have an influence here. This is a Great thing.

#95 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8812 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@granitesoldier said:

That being said wasn't there a bit of backlash from Miles Morales because it seemed they made a multi-ethnic Spider-Man simply for the sake of making a big name multi-ethnic hero?

The only person I ever saw criticizing the Miles Morales decision (at least openly) being Spider-Man was Glenn Beck. Most other people were really just saying it matter of factly on other news outlets (at least where I'm at).

Right on. I personally don't know anything about Miles or have any thoughts on the character. I don't read the Ultimate Universe at all so I wasn't sure. I know some of my friends were PO'd because I guess he fought and beat Peter at some point, but that's really all I know.

#96 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

Right on. I personally don't know anything about Miles or have any thoughts on the character. I don't read the Ultimate Universe at all so I wasn't sure. I know some of my friends were PO'd because I guess he fought and beat Peter at some point, but that's really all I know.

Yeah, I don't read the Ultimate Universe at all, either. I remember Beck was "pissed" in the form of "Yay, now I have something else to rant about! To hell with any facts!!!" way that only he could. He was saying it was a "travesty" "It was Michelle Obama's fault" and blah, blah, blah. Ironically that's right around the time he really lost it and was let go from Fox (Though this wasn't the reason or anything)

here's a link if you want a few laughs...

Glenn Beck blames Michelle Obama for Miles Morales

#97 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8812 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@granitesoldier said:

Yeah, I don't read the Ultimate Universe at all, either. I remember Beck was "pissed" in the form of "Yay, now I have something else to rant about! To hell with any facts!!!" way that only he could. He was saying it was a "travesty" "It was Michelle Obama's fault" and blah, blah, blah. Ironically that's right around the time he really lost it and was let go from Fox (Though this wasn't the reason or anything)

here's a link if you want a few laughs...

Glenn Beck blames Michelle Obama for Miles Morales

I find him more an embarrassment to Americans and it bothers me that I technically fight for him when I deploy.

#98 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier:

Yeah, but on the bright side, you also fight for me! And I appreciate it!!! :-)

What branch are you in?

#99 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8812 posts) - - Show Bio
#100 Edited by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier:

Really? That's cool. I tried to go into the Air Force, but due to health reasons I was unable to. Aslo JTAC? By any chance did you go to Nellis Air Force Base for training? I live in Las Vegas, which is why I ask.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.