What would Avengers 2 need to do to beat Avatar?

#1 Posted by ChaosMarvel (994 posts) - - Show Bio

As we all know The Avengers did great grossing a ton of money (around 1.5billion I believe) but it didn't beat Avatar.

So just out of curiosity what do guys think Avengers 2 would have to do to dethrone Avatar? This is purely theoretical so anything goes (eg: it doesn't matter that Galactus is owned by Fox). Would it be the addition of a character? Bigger plot? more funding etc..

#2 Posted by CrimsonCake (2672 posts) - - Show Bio

If spider-man was introduced then it would gross more money but that will most likely not happen.

#3 Posted by Strider92 (16158 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

If spider-man was introduced then it would gross more money but that will most likely not happen.

Yep this. introducing Spider-man would nigh guarantee beating Avatar. Its not the only way to do it (adding more characters and good publicity) but definitely the simplest and safest due to Spidey's popularity.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (23234 posts) - - Show Bio

It also didn't beat Titanic...but it's still better than both of those movies.

#5 Posted by tensor (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

avatar is in a league of its own .The best movie in 3D nothing even comes close.

#6 Posted by Dead_Spider333 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

i think they would need to take the fighting off of earth and do all of it in space. space battles are a very good idea since guardians of the galaxy and thanos might be in it

#7 Posted by Strider92 (16158 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor said:

avatar is in a league of its own .The best movie in 3D nothing even comes close.

I will admit the special effects and animation were awesome. You can't take that away from Avatar the GFX guys were extraordinary there but honestly storywise it was average. It was just Pocahontas in space the story and plot were nigh identical.

#8 Posted by Galactic_Man (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Argh. They can't do much to beat Avatar - Avatar is only at the top for being the first BIG 3D movie... So unless they introduce a new form of 3D or whatever as the next big thing for TV screens, then there's not much ANYONE can do to make it to the top, unfortunately.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@tensor said:

I will admit the special effects and animation were awesome. You can't take that away from Avatar the GFX guys were extraordinary there but honestly storywise it was average. It was just Pocahontas in space the story and plot were nigh identical.

I feel the exact same way. The story was very predictable, but as far as visuals go, nothing's ever come close.

For the question at hand, introduce Spider-Man (which isn't too far-fetched) and even Wolverine (which will never happen), and you've got the highest grossing film of all time.

#10 Posted by Krissyjump (104 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Strider92 said:

@tensor said:

I feel the exact same way. The story was very predictable, but as far as visuals go, nothing's ever come close.

For the question at hand, introduce Spider-Man (which isn't too far-fetched) and even Wolverine (which will never happen), and you've got the highest grossing film of all time.

I felt that, visually, Prometheus is the most striking and stunning film I've ever seen. That film was absolutely gorgeous to look at.

#11 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Have Spider-Man and Wolverine in it

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Krissyjump: Prometheus, really? Hm. The most visually striking thing I can recall from that movie was the very beginning. The way they made the planet look with all the nice scenery and waterfalls was fantastic. Everything else, since the majority took place in the ship, was cool, but nothing like Avatar, imo.

#13 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Have Spider-Man and Wolverine in it

#14 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Use 30 minutes of their screen time explaining why Avatar is overrated

#15 Edited by Krissyjump (104 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Krissyjump: Prometheus, really? Hm. The most visually striking thing I can recall from that movie was the very beginning. The way they made the planet look with all the nice scenery and waterfalls was fantastic. Everything else, since the majority took place in the ship, was cool, but nothing like Avatar, imo.

And even then, it was a gorgeous film to look at. Cinematically it was just breathtaking. Every single shot in that movie was beautiful and artistic. The lighting, scenery, contrast, design, everything was just done so fantastically. It may not have had the strongest story, but it more than makes up for it with the visual presentation.

#16 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Krissyjump: Really? It's that good? I'll have to check it out when I get paid. It's on DVD now soon right? I've seen the commercials.

#17 Posted by Krissyjump (104 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@Krissyjump: Really? It's that good? I'll have to check it out when I get paid. It's on DVD now soon right? I've seen the commercials.

The story isn't that strong, and it's got it's fair issues, but it's the most cinematic and visually beautiful film I've seen. I think it comes out on Tuesday ^.^

#18 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Krissyjump: Sweet. I'll try to get it next weekend, when I gets monies. :-)

#19 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

4 D !

But honestly I never understood how Avatar made so much. It was good and the computer effect were amazing but the story was nothing original. The only reason I saw it was because of word of mouth so just tell everyone its awesome before even seeing it.

#20 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

Be the Justice League.

oh snap someone say obvious fan-boyism. I'll take it. so bring it. Marvel-boys.

#21 Posted by Skaddix (3112 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing computer effects.

#22 Posted by Jack Donaghy (931 posts) - - Show Bio

First getting the film rights back to Spider-Man and Wolverine and add them to the team and most importantly Marvel buying DC with them doing this "Avengers 2: The Avengers vs The Justice League"

That's about what it would take to top the monster that was Avatar.

#23 Edited by tuananhxu99001 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

the friendly neighbor

#24 Posted by Chaos Burn (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

yep, Wolverine and/or Spiderman in it would probably top it.

on a side note, anyone else wondering if we'll get any Avengers vs Avengers action? In the first film we had Thor vs IronMan, Hawkeye vs Black Widow, Hulk vs Thor... but now theyre all friends I dont see how they can include any awesome fights, for example IronMan vs Captain America would be cool

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.