What the Avengers Can Learn from the Justice League

#1 Edited by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Have a Core Team

Just as the Justice League have a core team, so should the Avengers. It would the core(see what I did there?) of all Avengers stories. Here is my "Big Nine:"

1. Hawkeye

2. Captain America

3. Ms. Marvel

4. Quasar(Wendell Vaughn)

5. Iron Man

6. Thor

7. Quicksilver

8. Hulk

9. Namor the Sub-Mariner

Other Info:

• Comic Hawkeye will have his movie costume
  • Wendell Vaughn will have Nova's costume

2. Have a secret Base of Operations

Since the Avengers truly are "Earth's Mightiest Heroes," they need to a base that is as stunning as their power and influence. There should two headquarters for the team. One public-the Avengers Mansion, and the other, private- "Avengers Satellite."

The appeal of the Satellite is that it will have a dramatic appearance of seeing the Avengers as it looks down on the Earth, some modern age guardian angels who can teleport to any location on the planet and immediately jump into action. It’s also practical as a base on Earth can be attacked by virtually any enemy but operating in space offers a strong defense as well as allows the base to defend itself without great risk to innocent bystanders and property. But maybe the greatest reason for the Satellite is if the heroes of Earth come together as a team, it would have to be a grave threat. The Satellite can serve as a means for the group to catch its breath, regroup, and attack its enemy as a united effort.

3. Have a Unique Rogue Gallery

Just as Batman fights the Joker the Avengers need to fight villains that are only their villains. A superhero(or in this case, superhero team) is only as good as their villains. To treat the Earth's Mightiest Heroes with respect, writers need to give the Avengers enemies that can actually threaten them. Enemies that no other being or team on the planet can fight.

4. No Crossovers

I absolutely, absolutely despise crossovers. Spider Man isn't an Avenger, he's a solo hero. The "X" on Wolverine's belt means he is supposed to be on the X-Men. There's a reason that Reed Richards wears a four on his chest, and it isn't because it's supposed to be an "A." Give the Avengers a self-contained title to allow the team to grow. And only allow crossovers if a universe-wide crisis occurs.

So that's my intake, what do you all think?

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13157 posts) - - Show Bio

meh. i like Spidey as an Avenger.

#3 Edited by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt :

1. What's the "meh" for?

2. Spider-Man should be a reserve member.

#4 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd: Oh I love this part:

Spider Man isn't an Avenger, he's a solo hero. The "X" on Wolverine's belt means he is supposed to be on the X-Men. There's a reason that Reed Richards wears a four on his chest, and it isn't because it's supposed to be an "A."

Spiderman and Wolverine should not be Avengers!

#5 Edited by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18057 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting,I do prefer Spiderman as a solo hero and Wolverine in the X Men wouldn't say I despise it though.

And I thought Ultron was an Avengers villain?

#7 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers currently have somewhat of a core team under Hickman (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye) so they've already got that sorted. I agree that they need a secret base somewhere, the current ones are very public and obvious targets - a secret one to fall back on if it comes to it makes sense. The Avengers already have some classic villains, Kang for instance. I also disagree with your last point, I like the idea of the Avengers having a planet filled with reserves including some from other teams - that said, I do think that for the majority of the time, people should stick to one team.

#8 Posted by Clark_EL (2654 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by cattlebattle (12774 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the key components of the Avengers uniqueness was the fact that their roster constantly changed.

#10 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18057 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the key components of the Avengers uniqueness was the fact that their roster constantly changed.

Good point.

@clark_el said:

@mrdecepticonleader: I do a little bit....never seen them as Avengers

Fair enough.

#11 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

Ditch Quasar and Ms. Marvel and replace them with Vision and Scarlet Witch and I'm on board.

#12 Edited by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Are you referring to the core roster or expanding roster?

@guttridgeb: I do believe the Avengers should have an expanded roster, like Hercules, Ant Man, Widow, Mockingbird, Trickshot(maybe), Black Knight,etc. But members of the X-Men or Fantastic Four eventually should come into contact the Avengers(if they face the same type of threats, they're bound to run into one another somewhere), but have it be made clear that FF members aren't joining other teams.

#13 Posted by cattlebattle (12774 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd: I am talking about the roster in general, The Avengers have never really had a core roster, its always changing.

#14 Posted by Oscars94 (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

How to make an incredibly awesome movie? OH WAIT- THEY DID THAT!

#15 Edited by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem for the Avengers is this: Who is their big three? And it doesnt necessarily have to be three, but of there characters, who are the "biggest"? Be as exclusive as possible, or else it is a wasted exercise. DC is easy, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman. As far as temporary/short temporary popularity, sure Flash and Green Lantern are in right now, which is why they are perfect around the big three, but as of now Id say neither was an "icon".

Spider-man, Wolverine, and the Hulk. That is Marvels big three, imo, and theyd make a strange core team.

I noticed your core choices reflected the JLA, but since Marvel's claim to fame is different than DC's that could be a bad call. I do think they should have a "Superman" archetype on the team, if Sentry was still around he'd work, or Hyperion.

#16 Edited by Oscars94 (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: No! The big three are Captain America , Iron Man and Thor! That what other Avengers aspire to be! Even when Norman Osborne was looking for lackies for his Dark Avengers, he made sure that he had someone similar to the three of them before he filled in the rest.

#17 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

@deaditegonzo: No! The big three are Captain America , Iron Man and Thor! That what other Avengers aspire to be! Even when Norman Osborne was looking for lackies for his Dark Avengers, he made sure that he had someone similar to the three of them before he filled in the rest.

I understand they may be your personal favorites, and im in no way trying to insult them, but they have never been Marvel's most popular properties. Spidey since his first appearance, Hulk, and even Wolverine, imo, they are Marvel's big three.

In-Universe, Cap and Thor are definitely the guys everyone else looks up to, though. Spidey nearly wet himself over Cap in Civil War, lol.

#18 Posted by Oscars94 (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: I'm not insulted, they're also not my favourite! They are the big three in the eyes of other Avengers.

#19 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by ComicStooge (12849 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

How to make an incredibly awesome movie? OH WAIT- THEY DID THAT!

It wasn't as mindblowing as people said it was. Not even remotely.

#21 Edited by Oscars94 (2519 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

If there was a core team, I'd prefer the following:

Captain America (leader), Iron Man (technology), Thor (magic), Hank Pym (science), Quicksilver (speedster), Hulk (muscle), and Ms. Marvel (cosmic).

As for the idea of a satellite, I don't really like it. As Grant Morrison once put it, the Avengers are a football team while the League is a pantheon. That's not to say that one is better than the other, just that the Avengers are a little more grounded. Their whole purpose is to assemble when there's a threat no one hero can handle, so I don't feel the need for an ostentatious HQ.

I do agree with the Rogues gallery bit though. It was something that Morrison's run did very well - giving threats that the whole team had to handle together (Prometheus, anyone?), and I think Hickman's doing a good job now. Ex Nihilo, for one, was quite impressive. As are the incursions in NA.

And yes, there shouldn't be crossovers. If they want X-Members or soloers like Spidey, please keep them as reserves. The team should have its own members, with a few exceptions like Quicksilver, or maybe even MK.

#23 Posted by THORSON (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

i like things the way they are. avengers just need more powerhouse fighters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.