was the avengers movie really that good?

#51 Posted by tg1982 (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Yeah, premiere female hero, and potentially the first one in her own Marvel Studios film, so there would be some pressure.

Yeah, if she gets one and it's good, then all the Wonder Woman fans would be jealous. LOL

Storm fans too. From conversations I've seen on here, there seems to be some resentment towards Captain Marvel for having her own series, whilst Storm has never had an ongoing.

Really? Oh well. I guess it's understandable. No one (writer or creative team) really seemed to know what to do with her (Storm). Bendis puts her on the Avengers for like 6 or 7 issues and she literally had two sentences of dialogue, and one was her being hit by a laser or something and saying "AAAHHH!!" then being saved by Thor. What was the reason for her to be on the Avengers, if you're not going to use her? Just to walk out during AvX? That whole process of her being on the Avengers was pointless and, IMHO, stupid. Then you have, IMO, a good writer like Remender who wanted to do something with her and put her on Uncanny Avengers only to be shot down, IIRC, because "she's in too many books already" but apparently not Wolverine or even, my boy, Captain America, they could still be in a few more books. So I can kind of see their point....wow, I didn't mean for this to sound so much like a rant, lol.

Truth be told I'm not even that big of a fan, I like her but she's not in my ten or anything. LOL

#52 Posted by w0nd (4721 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it, I loved the fact that they seemed forced together because they were. They didn't meet up in a coffee shop and just decide to be a team. One great threat brought them altogether

#53 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Sif seems like a pretty cool character(though I'm not very familiar with her), so it could have been cool to see. However, that could have led to her becoming an Avenger in the comics, and I'm not a fan of changes being made to match the films. I'd be fine with her joining in comics, but for a better reason.

Captain Marvel seems like the best choice(though people might just think I say this for fangirl reasons), but she just seems like the most obvious choice for a female Avenger. Apart from She-Hulk, she's had the most solo appearances of all the female Avengers, so she's shown herself to be a good character on her own and in a team. I just wonder how much Mar-Vell stuff they would put in, as it's definitely worth mentioning.

She-Hulk could be a good addition to the team, but I think they'd have to make another Hulk film first. Jennifer could be around as a supporting character, and ends up getting badly hurt in the final boss batlle of the film, and Bruce has to give her a blood transfusion. Post-credits sequence would be her transforming, and then she could go on to her own film, or straight into an Avengers sequel.

The Pyms and Scarlet Witch are three of my favourite Avengers, so it'll be good to see them. :)

Hehe, two pence. Never seen anyone do that before.

#54 Posted by Aiden Cross (15726 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm indifferent about it, i enjoyed it in the theater but i have no real desire to see it again. It didn't leave much of an impact (which isnt what every movie should/set out to do).

#55 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: I know that Storm is regularly appearing in 6 titles at the moment, which does seem like quite a few considering she doesn't really have proven solo appeal like Captain America or Wolverine. I do think Captain America and Wolverine are a bit overused, but I do understand why Storm would be used less than them.

I'm not an X-Men reader, so I don't really know how well she's used. I haven't read all of her Avengers issues yet, but I have heard that there wasn't much point in her being there. And yet I've seen Storm fans bring up the fact that she was an Avenger as a reason why she's so great.

#56 Posted by young_beamer (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: yeah your right it was a good pop corn flick but as an avengers fan i wasnt satisfied with what they just threw together for movie audiences.

#57 Posted by joshmightbe (25871 posts) - - Show Bio

@young_beamer: speaking as a life long comic fan i freely admit we are the most difficult group to satisfy on earth so really great pop corn flick was the best we were gonna get

#58 Edited by HumanRocket (10669 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. That being said I would have liked it better if Ant-Man and Wasp were in it instead of Hawkeye and Blackwidow I know it could have pushed the movie back a while since they could have made a ant-man movie to introduced them but I think that's my only complaint about it.

#59 Posted by tg1982 (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis:

Captain Marvel seems like the best choice(though people might just think I say this for fangirl reasons), but she just seems like the most obvious choice for a female Avenger. Apart from She-Hulk, she's had the most solo appearances of all the female Avengers, so she's shown herself to be a good character on her own and in a team. I just wonder how much Mar-Vell stuff they would put in, as it's definitely worth mentioning.

The Pyms and Scarlet Witch are three of my favourite Avengers, so it'll be good to see them. :)

Hehe, two pence. Never seen anyone do that before.

I think Captain Marvel would be a great addition to the Avengers in the MCU. I agree she would probably be the best choice, as of right now, due to the reasons you stated. I think all the Mar-Vell stuff could be done in her solo movie to set it up for an Avengers sequel (most likely Avengers 3). That's how they did it for The Avengers, as we all know, all the big names got their history out of the way in their own solos so they could focus solely on the team. And don't worry about being viewed as a fangirl. I freely admit I'm a Cap (both Caps ;-) ) fanboy, as long as you're not one of those super crazed zealot types of fans, it's all good. :-)

#60 Posted by tg1982 (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982:

I know that Storm is regularly appearing in 6 titles at the moment, which does seem like quite a few considering she doesn't really have proven solo appeal like Captain America or Wolverine.

6 title!? I didn't know it was that many. LOL. Well then yeah, that is quite a lot. LOL

@tg1982:

I'm not an X-Men reader, so I don't really know how well she's used. I haven't read all of her Avengers issues yet, but I have heard that there wasn't much point in her being there. And yet I've seen Storm fans bring up the fact that she was an Avenger as a reason why she's so great.

I'm not one either, really. Just Cable and X-Force. Mostly just for Cable, I was a big fan of his back in the day. He used to be my second favorite, behind Captain America, of course. Ahh, but I digest (a family guy joke "digress"). As for her being an Avenger, and fans being proud of it, it's a lot like being the third string back up quarter back on a Super Bowl winning football team, yeah it's "cool", but what did you really contribute? Nothing. And it's a shame, because there was a lot of potential for her to be awesome on the team.

#61 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: It would probably be pretty cool to see a Mar-Vell film, where Carol is hit with the Psyche Magnitron near the end, and then has her own film, then an Avengers sequel. But that would probably take too long.

I probably wouldn't describe myself as a crazed zealot, but then maybe even a true crazed zealot wouldn't admit to it. :P

Yep, in the last several months Storm has appeared in most issues of X-Men, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine & The X-Men, Ultimate Comics X-men, All New X-Men and X-Men Legacy. As I don't read any of these titles, I don't know how big a role she plays, but I know she's been in them regularly.

I've read her Avengers appearances where she gets on the team, and when she gets knocked out. If that's pretty much all that happened, it almost seems like it was a trick to get X-Men fans to buy Avengers comics. I imagine this cover must have tempted a few Storm/X-Men fans in:

#62 Posted by tg1982 (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose:

I think they could condense Carol's and Mar-Vell's history into one movie, but it would have to be done very carefully, or you would get something like the Green Lantern, most Lantern fans I've heard from list the movie as being TOO condensed as one of it's flaws.

Nah, you don't have the demeanor of a crazed zealot. LOL

You forgot the part where Storm walks out on the Avengers at the start of AvX, but yeah, that's pretty much all she did. I personally think that that's was the sole reason of putting her on the team, so X-fans would read Avengers before AvX. Again, which is sad since there was a lot of potential in her being a REAL Avenger, not just a (seeming) marketing ploy.

#63 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: They could maybe try and do the Mar-Vell parts in flashbacks, but that might break up the flow of the film too much.

Cool. :)

Ah, O.K.(Haven't read AvX yet). As someone who doesn't read much X-Men, I don't know the full extent of her powers and ability, but she seems like she could come in handy(Black Panther thought so anyway). I'm not really hoping for her rejoining though. I don't know if this makes sense, but seeing Storm fans go and on about every little thing about her has kind of made me want to avoid her.

#64 Posted by tg1982 (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982:

They could maybe try and do the Mar-Vell parts in flashbacks, but that might break up the flow of the film too much.

Cool. :)

Ah, O.K.(Haven't read AvX yet). As someone who doesn't read much X-Men, I don't know the full extent of her powers and ability, but she seems like she could come in handy(Black Panther thought so anyway). I'm not really hoping for her rejoining though. I don't know if this makes sense, but seeing Storm fans go and on about every little thing about her has kind of made me want to avoid her.

Yeah, some Storm fans are a bit, shall we say..."enthusiastic". LOL.

#65 Posted by xxxddd (3706 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Posted by Darkseid011 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

yes it ranks second next to Iron man 1

#67 Posted by Bezza (4693 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the Avengers, in my top 3 along with Iron Man1 and Spiderman 1. Great mix of action and humour. Only thing I didn't like was Thor's role. He was too de-powered after his own movie.

#68 Posted by TDK_1997 (15847 posts) - - Show Bio

At first I thought it was amazing but when I watched it again after 2 or 3 months I thought that it was an okay movie.I knew every line,I knew what was going to happen exactly after the scene I was watching and you can say that it was just a massive blockbuster movie but nothing that special.As always the best was Robert Downey Jr. and the team really seemed like a team but find it amusing how low was the threat they were actually against but that won't be that way in the second movie.

#69 Posted by CaptnMcDeadpool (976 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was great. Marvel might be hard pressed to equal the success of the first film in sequels.

#70 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (7476 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya I had tons of fun in the theater that day. The movie was the best Super hero film since The Dark Knight

#71 Posted by GlassTrotter (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the film at first and still do now.. but when i look at the posters i just think its a bit childish, it seems really.. Disney.

#72 Posted by Nobleman_ (31 posts) - - Show Bio

This film was not only great but it finally gave characters like Iron Man and Thor the recognition and applaud that they deserved years ago...

#73 Posted by Nobleman_ (31 posts) - - Show Bio

@glasstrotter: I think the same thing whenever I look at Man of Steel posters. Everyone looks at a superhero movie poster and thinks that it's childish. Avengers doesn't simply stand out.

#75 Posted by capamerica7 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably the best superhero movie to exist (in my opinion) especially when you take into consideration how Marvel established a ground-breaking cinematic universe with 5 previous, equally awesome, superhero movies that tie into this awesome movie. The only complaint I have is the absence of Ant-Man, and the Wasp. It's only a minor complaint, and Ant-Man is already set to be released in Phase 3. Otherwise, best superhero movie and franchise (in my opinion).

#76 Posted by InkerZebra (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@young_beamer: Yeah, choosing Loki as a villain came across strange to me too. Even though I think Loki's awesome, I think his status as a villain is quite limited. He's got a massive backstory and everyone pretty much knows that he's not really evil deep down. To me the focus should have been mainly on Thanos, instead of pitching up Loki as the villain. Let's face it. He got his ass handed to him.

#77 Posted by lilben42 (2689 posts) - - Show Bio

@inkerzebra: Yeah Loki wasn't really a good villain. He was great in Thor but not in The Avengers.

#78 Edited by InkerZebra (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: True say, that's why I like his character so much, because he was that good in Thor.

#79 Edited by lilben42 (2689 posts) - - Show Bio

@inkerzebra: I hope he retains that status in the new Thor movie.

#80 Posted by InkerZebra (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: Definitely. I'd hate to see him go clean-cut good or bad in TTDW, because that wouldn't be true to his character. He's supposed to keep you guessing.

#81 Posted by lilben42 (2689 posts) - - Show Bio

@inkerzebra: I also want to see a good display of his powers. I really haven't yet.

#82 Posted by spider11211 (1172 posts) - - Show Bio

Great movie....nuff said

#83 Posted by InkerZebra (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: Oh yeah, definitely. We got a bit of his sorcery in Avs. and the Thor movie, but I want a full out epic magic battle. Maybe between him and Malekith.

#84 Posted by lilben42 (2689 posts) - - Show Bio
#85 Edited by The Stegman (28577 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America: "Tony, wait, we need a plan of attack."

Iron Man: "I have a plan....Attack" Jumps out plane

SO badass.

#86 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

SO badass.

That's the movie in a nutshell. Set-ups for corny one-liners.

Average movie is average. BOOM AN EXPLOSION, WOAH, THIS IS TEH BEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN.

#87 Posted by The Stegman (28577 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

SO badass.

That's the movie in a nutshell. Set-ups for corny one-liners.

Average movie is average. BOOM AN EXPLOSION, WOAH, THIS IS TEH BEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN.

That line was not corny, nor was this the best movie I've ever seen, it is what it is, a summer blockbuster superhero film, I didn't go into this expecting Gone With the Wind or Schindler's List, there's nothing wrong with "Boom An Explosion!'' flick every now and again.

#88 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Not having a go at you with the "best movie ever" line, just at the people who sincerely believe it is. And there are many of them.

Hey look, 200 people just died, let's make a joke about shwarma.

#89 Posted by cameron83 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio

@young_beamer:

So not Hulk?

Oh well. Not the answer I expected, but I'll give my opinion anyway.

I thought the film was good, but I would have preferred it it had actually been a more accurate telling of the origin. Maybe not exactly as it originally happened, but something a little closer would have been good. I'd have preferred Ant-Man and Wasp to be in it instead of Black Widow and Hawkeye.

One of my main problems is that Black Widow was in the film. It's bad enough that there was only one woman on the team, but the fact that she had no powers, or a distinctive costume or weapon bothers me. She came across as someone hanging around with superheroes, rather than a superhero herself. I feel that having an actual female superhero on the team would have been a good thing, as it could have popularised female superheroes with the general public, and made steps towards better representation in comic books. Black Widow has since pretty much become the female face of Marvel, and I feel that this is a bad thing, as next to all the heroes with snazzy costumes and cool powers, she just looks, boring. I think it would be better for a woman with powers and a costume would be a much better female face of Marvel.

Basically my issue is that The Avengers would have been a great way to represent female heroes in a similar way to male heroes, but it just didn't. I could maybe have accepted only one woman on the team if it was Wasp, as they would at least be trying to make it accurate to the original source material, but the fact that they were able to choose a team, and chose one woman with nothing obviously cool about her just annoys me.

All in all, it was a good film, but I would have preferred something else to be the first Avengers film. My complaints are pretty much half comic book fan and half feminist.

By the way, no offense to Black Widow fans. My complaint is with her being the only woman in this film, not with her as a character.

Hm. I agree,well said!

#90 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6719 posts) - - Show Bio
#93 Posted by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a Superhero movie, i don't care if it had one -liners and such. it was fun, cool, and it brought one of my favorite characters alive. yes, it was an action packed movie, but it wise kind-hearted and fun, and still stands as the best Superhero movie IMO. i didn't go to the cinema thinking Iron man will have a drinking problem and delve into darkness, or Hulk will become evil and take over banner, i wanted a fun movie, and i wasn't disappointed.

I agree but really Comics do have that stuff so you cannot write it out entirely.

#94 Posted by Wolverine08 (47860 posts) - - Show Bio

Also This is Not a F*cking Michael Bay film. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

THIS. The only people who call the Avengers a Michael Bay film want every CBM to be dark and realistic like Nolan's Batman films.

#97 Posted by cameron83 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio
#98 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@theacidskull said:

THIS. The only people who call the Avengers a Michael Bay film want every CBM to be dark and realistic like Nolan's Batman films.

Nolans Batman was Baws Though, ESPECIALLY the dark Knight :P

By 'baws' do you mean 'boss'?

#100 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@theacidskull said:

@wolverine08 said:

@theacidskull said:

Nolans Batman was Baws Though, ESPECIALLY the dark Knight :P

By 'baws' do you mean 'boss'?

Yup lol

O.K. then.

Just thought I'd check as in Scotland, 'baws' means 'balls'(often as in testicles), so calling a film 'baws' looked like a negative review to me. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.