Unscripted Review: Avengers #6

Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio
Please use a flash or html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

#1 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13638 posts) - - Show Bio

god i need to catch up
#2 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at the art. It looks hand colored with markers. Not to say it's a bad thing to do, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of depth created in some of the scenes. Though, in other scenes things are done quite well. I do like the pencil work from what I can see.

I wouldn't expect much from that whole Future Hulk and his line about Bucky. X-Factor had some really great moments such as that in their future story arc, but nothing has ever come out of it now that Layla and Madrox are back. You'd need a single writer to get any consistency out of this stuff. I'm still a little pissed no one has tried working Ruby Summers into anything. She's such a cool looking character.

I normally hate focusing in on appearances with these reviews, but I have to say it. Babs, you seriously have a real '50s elegance with that look.
For balance, I do like the shirt, G-Man. 1...2...3. 3 licks to the center.

#3 Posted by chalkshark (1195 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm normally the first one to champion John Romita, Jr.'s artwork in any given title, but I have to admit, he seems to be struggling a bit to find his stride with The Avengers. Splash pages, panoramas, & larger panel layouts seems to serve him pretty well. When he has a some room to work, he can come close to evoking the kind of power that Kirby brought to the page. Confined, though, his design work can look a bit awkward or cluttered. Overall, still liking the book. I think the only aspect that irritated me about it was the cover, which, while cool in & of itself, depicts a scene that in no way actually occurs in the story. That's some serious false advertising there, Marvel.  I wanted to see that fight.

#4 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review guys. Though I wonder if the time stream is completely fixed since one character is still around.

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (7717 posts) - - Show Bio

What little I've read of this series didnt really do anything for me. Avengers Academy is the best of all the titles in my opinion. I wish Bendis would stop writing one of these Avengers books and focus on Powers full time. I just read the book is going on hiatus.
#6 Posted by Nefilim927 (345 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed this arc but can totally understand why this Avengers run is hit or miss with most.  Between the love or hate Romita Jr. artwork (which I really do not mind) and a cluttered timeline story for the first arc it's easy for some to just let this run go.
#7 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1029 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nefilim927 said:
" I really enjoyed this arc but can totally understand why this Avengers run is hit or miss with most.  Between the love or hate Romita Jr. artwork (which I really do not mind) and a cluttered timeline story for the first arc it's easy for some to just let this run go. "
@FoxxFireArt said:
I wouldn't expect much from that whole Future Hulk and his line about Bucky.
Maybe it is talking about his Trial. I expect something to come from that. Remember the timeline, that seemed planned. That was some strong language.
#8 Posted by ckal (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

Good review guys. I'm really not a fan of JRjr's art. I don't see why he just adds random lines to someone's body and calls it shading. It doesn't look good IMO. Makes characters come off way too angular and it bothers me. But I do like this book right now.

#9 Edited by Dr. Detfink (459 posts) - - Show Bio

Forget the art. Let's talk about the ridiculous anti-climatic plan to save the marvel time line...which was Tony basically trying to convince a computer to commit suicide and save the world without proof. That made not one lick of sense, neither was the ending in what older Tony tells his younger self or what Kang ends up doing to the Maestro. 

There's so much that didn't add up.

I loved how cleverly Bendis substituted this is Hank Pym's fault with this is the Avengers' fault. Don't know how you can appeal to Ultron's um, soft side without Hank his creator. 

In the end, this book is a make or break for collectors.

#10 Posted by TheMarvelFanboy (268 posts) - - Show Bio

Im really liking this series after reading issue 4...Cant wait for issue 7!!!

#11 Posted by Aspenfan1 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man still isn't taking Bendis' advice!! LOL!  Great review.

#12 Posted by IIayK (468 posts) - - Show Bio

Who this female spider? The alternative version of whom that of spiders or whose that the daughter?    

#13 Edited by Metatron_Da_Don (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

this issue was confusing.

#14 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry but that art seems sloppy!
I am not saying it because my art is not sloppy or because I'm an expert at this, but I just don't like Romita's art!
On the Artist Show-Off Showdown latest contest we all drew Ultron and believe me Romita's does not look like any of those. They are better (except mine... I didn't like mine)

Anyways, Bendis' writing is what keeps me wanting to keep reading this series and all those hints hes putting around means that he is setting up a lot to come. What I'm wondering is if the Next Avengers will continue to appear in the book once this arc is over.

#15 Posted by gordocomics (112 posts) - - Show Bio

i really do like JRJR's art, but i don't feel like his style is good for this kind of stuff and WWH. Love what he does in kickass. There would be nobody better than him at that book.

#16 Posted by Mumbles (843 posts) - - Show Bio

like the smash avengers cover.

#17 Posted by comicfetish (405 posts) - - Show Bio

Babs looks like a french femme fatale
#18 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio
@Metatron_Da_Don said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
I wouldn't expect much from that whole Future Hulk and his line about Bucky.
Maybe it is talking about his Trial. I expect something to come from that. Remember the timeline, that seemed planned. That was some strong language. "
When you take into consideration all the horrible things the Hulk has done in the past. What right would he have to call Bucky a "Son of a Bitch"?
#19 Edited by They Killed Cap! (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I finally feel like this story was doing something and the art wasn't horrible either. 

I love your hair Babs.
#20 Edited by N7_Normandy (2411 posts) - - Show Bio

what  a great issue; I've read this issue about 3 times already and it keeps getting better.  Great review as always. 

Are we going to be seeing another unscripted for Fantastic Four 584'?

#21 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with G-Man in that I think the colors don't necessarily fit in with JRJR's art, but other than that I think it's good.  I tried to get into this Avengers series, but I think I'm gonna stick to the fringe characters and series', at least until this whole time travelling thing is done.  Maybe I'll get back into it with Red Hulk.
Best part of the review: Babs' little hat.

#22 Posted by sparty-dbq (849 posts) - - Show Bio

That Spider-Girl, or whatever, was such a waste of space.  She didn't do jack squat the whole arc, and we never even learned exactly who she was to begin with.  The whole thing could've been done without her and nothing would have been lost.

#23 Edited by queenfrost_ (2490 posts) - - Show Bio

Babs! Loving that coat! x

#24 Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio
@N7_Normandy said:
" what  a great issue; I've read this issue about 3 times already and it keeps getting better.  Great review as always.  Are we going to be seeing another unscripted for Fantastic Four 584'? "
Hmmm....interesting you should ask...
#25 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this different sort of art :)
You guys (in the com's) need to check out some more original looking art styles instead of your usual photoshop gradient colors~

#26 Edited by Michiel76 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow i really thought i was the only one hating JRJR"s art, i never thought it to be any good, i have to say i find it buttugly.
But since a lot of people seem to like it, i just keep quite. But i am happy that other people think  its not the best too.
Best i can say about it that it's different than the rest thats out there.

#27 Posted by Skaddix (3106 posts) - - Show Bio

wow the next avengers play for keeps, they might actually go villain although in a hellscape it doesn't really matter.

#28 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

"it was a little bit confusing" says the grant morrison fan.

#29 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13638 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt:
what has the hulk really done that was so bad
#30 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio
@Metatron_Da_Don said:
" this issue was confusing. "
I agree there were some parts where I was like what?!
#31 Posted by ShirEPanjshir (581 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been a big fan of JRJR's art, but I'm really getting used to it on the Avengers. So that didn't bother me at all. And I didn't find the story confusing at all .. I thought everything was pretty clear, exept for the few lose ends that Bendis left that are obviously going to lead into new stories in the future.. Overall I liked the issue and I'm really enjoying the series. Curious to see what's going to happen next with Red Hulk..

#32 Posted by heroesgold (602 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt:  your not the only one  the only  saga i remember is when darken killed punisher  sad and  disgusting i dont really like the new art for  marvel reminds me kickass  i think is to   you know anyways your not the only one my friend
#33 Posted by reafulde (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@IIayK: looks like hulk

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.