Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

To many members

masmason92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

does anyone else think Hickmans avengers roster is way to big?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Veshark

Yeah, but I guess it's kinda the point of his run? To go bigger.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kidchipotle

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous how oversized it was especially since everyone used to complain that Bendis was adding too many people to the roster, Hickman decided to overstaff it as well.

To me, having an oversized roster makes it less special to be Earths Mightiest Hero.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By cameron83

No.

To me,there are FAR less members than there used to be (which is good).

The way it is in the cartoons/movies where there are only like 6 members is inaccurate.

And it makes no sense to me whatsoever for Earth's mightiest heroes to only have a roster of less than 7 people.When there is a worldwide threat,let's see how they alone solve it....

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

I just don't like Captain Universe being on the team...

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: For me its Hyperion, he's gotta go. Its only a matter of time before he turns evil or brainwashed.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

does anyone else think Hickmans avengers roster is way to big?

I don't.

That is, I don't think that's the problem so much as that none of the characters are really getting any focus. Back in the 90's there were like 15 members of the X-men and it never felt like too many. And the Marvel Superheroes Secret War in the 80's had 20 superheroes and they all got a chance to shine in the span of 12 issues.

The current Avengers book isn't suffering from too many characters, it's suffering from not focusing on any of them.

masmason92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: i totally agree. I am reading secret wars right now and everyone get the right amount of the lime light. Thats why i am reading Uncanny avengers, I think its more of an old school avengers comic which i like.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DH69

did you miss the part where they stress the whole "go bigger" idea

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I disagree, I like the idea of the Avengers being a massive thing and I think it works really well under Hickman. I'm looking forward to finding out who fills those extra spaces.

desmond006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think its too big but like previously stated that's the point. Earths mightiest heroes? their letting anybody in.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh69 said:

did you miss the part where they stress the whole "go bigger" idea

I disagree, I like the idea of the Avengers being a massive thing and I think it works really well under Hickman. I'm looking forward to finding out who fills those extra spaces.

I completely agree.I especially hate the idea that earth's mightiest heroes would just be comprised of less than 10 members.It's like an Army being comprised of only 10 people and then saying "World Army".It would make no sense and just seem stupid,impractical (and even arrogant).

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: i totally agree. I am reading secret wars right now and everyone get the right amount of the lime light. Thats why i am reading Uncanny avengers, I think its more of an old school avengers comic which i like.

wow. I don't think I've ever convinced an OP with just one post before.. hahaha!

but, yeah, I think Uncanny Avengers is my favorite right now. The first arc started a bit slow, but I think it's striking a really good balance between big, epic threats and great character interactions, and that's what I really like to read the Avengers for. Definitely a real classic Avengers feel.

Hickman's New Avengers is a close second, but to me it's more of an Illuminati story.

That's a really good point, and I think it's one of the best arguments I've heard for why the Avengers should be recruiting as many members as they have.

And I'm totally gonna use this argument next time I hear someone complaining about X-men characters being on the Avengers, because surely any of the mutant members they've enlisted should count as among Earth's mightiest heroes as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is about Avengers World! They needed them. Cap and Tony chose a load of powerhouses too. Since Mars, they've stepped up their game. With Thanos coming in Infinity,its gonna be big, I mean let's do a checklist of powerhouses on the good side. Blue Marvel, Hulk, Thor, Hyperion,Captain Universe, Captain Marvel, Smasher etc.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masmason92 said:

wow. I don't think I've ever convinced an OP with just one post before.. hahaha!

but, yeah, I think Uncanny Avengers is my favorite right now. The first arc started a bit slow, but I think it's striking a really good balance between big, epic threats and great character interactions, and that's what I really like to read the Avengers for. Definitely a real classic Avengers feel.

Hickman's New Avengers is a close second, but to me it's more of an Illuminati story.

That's a really good point, and I think it's one of the best arguments I've heard for why the Avengers should be recruiting as many members as they have.

And I'm totally gonna use this argument next time I hear someone complaining about X-men characters being on the Avengers, because surely any of the mutant members they've enlisted should count as among Earth's mightiest heroes as well.

really?

Aw shucks.....I feel so special now :D

No Caption Provided

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

As long as the members are the right members and the writing is good there aren't too many Avengers.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By New_World_Order

It's the whole point.

masmason92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been going back and reading some of the issues and its starting to make more sense. It kinda reminds me of guardians of the globe where you have different squads for different situations.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@masmason92 said:

I have been going back and reading some of the issues and its starting to make more sense. It kinda reminds me of guardians of the globe where you have different squads for different situations.

I like that idea in theory, I just don't feel like most of the squads we've seen have really shown enough character interaction to be very engaging.

Though, I did rather like the team dynamic in 12 and 13 (Thor, Ironman, Hyperion, Spiderman, Spiderwoman, Hawkeye, and Captain Universe) a lot more than I would've thought. Though, that was one of the first arcs to really get into that very much.

Avatar image for captainamerica119
    Captainamerica119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just Have Cap, Iron Man, Wasp, Hulk, Ant-Man (Pym), Wolverine, Thor, Spidey (Parker) and Halkeye. Maybe Black Widow, Vision. 2 many X-Men as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.