Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Time for Human Torch to join an Avenger team

Wonderman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wonderman1

It is high time Johnny Storm branches out a bit and is invited onto an Avengers team. He is long overdue and his powers have not been explored in forever. He gained some maturity in the Negative Zone and needs a chance to take it out for a spin. Ben,Reed and Sue have all been Avengers at one time or another. The Human Torch is ready and should be given a chance to shine outside the FF.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By New_World_Order

I agree.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By X35

No.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@X35 said:

No.

YES

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think so too. Specially if Spider-Man/Otto is being a jerk and leaving the Avengers Johnny would be a good replacement.

Wonderman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wonderman1

Between everything he could have learned fighting for two years straight in the Negative Zone arena (which makes him the most experienced fighter in the FF) and the countless small gadgets Reed should have produced for him by now to augment his blunt powers, the options both large and small are wide open. Here are a very few ideas off the top of my head: Special sunglasses that lase his flame allowing him to shoot laser blasts from his eyes for fine work. The ability to see in other then visible light spectrum and recognize people by their unique heat signature. The ability to synthesize any matter internally for energy (he likes steak but can eat rocks or grass if need be and survive just fine) The ability to emit or absorb energy of any wavelength including infrared, x-ray, etc. Marvel has simply been lazy with utilizing the Human Torch. He should have a rogues gallery of his own (though some could be borrowed as Daredevil did). He should have a signature 1940s muscle coup convertible complete with flames on the fenders to drive around town. So much can be done with a little TLC. Breaking him out of the FF as the only thing he has is a good start.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#7  Edited By TheCannon
    No Caption Provided
    Wonderman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wonderman1

Wow big no! How come?

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By dangallant984

@PrinceIMC said:

I think so too. Specially if Spider-Man/Otto is being a jerk and leaving the Avengers Johnny would be a good replacement.

on one level, I agree with this. but I get the feeling this role will actually be taken by Sunspot.

also, the 'Torch isn't a scientific genius, or as relatable (in my opinion), so he sort of only fills half of the role. In some ways, it's been like Spiderman had replaced the role originally designated for the Beast, which I'd almost prefer to see Otto tackle.

also, I'm not as interested in the 'Torch as much as I am this guy:

No Caption Provided

and I think he's way more overdue for some exposure.

Wonderman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wonderman1

I find it refreshing that the Torch is not a scientific genius, they seem to be coming out of the woodwork at Marvel. He is a skilled mechanic though which could come in handy. I do agree that the Uncanny Avengers is not the place for him with Sunfire there. I do not agree that Sunfire (a B or C character at best) is more overdue for attention then Johnny Storm of the FF.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By Teerack

I was just thinking this the other day. I'd love to see more Johnny.

And considering the lvl of power he showed in his resurrection story he's defiantly one of earth strongest super humans.

Wonderman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wonderman1

His power levels are vast but how to use the power is largely unexplored. He can do so much more then throw balls of fire if a little creativity and perhaps some appropriate occasional gadgets are mixed in. We now know Thing will live for hundreds of years thanks to the FF serum. Maybe Johnny unlike his teammates is still absorbing cosmic rays enabling his powers to continue to grow but dooming him to eventually go super-nova in the future. He is single and rich like Tony Stark (not as rich of course) and they should run into each other often at black tie events. They should have dated the same super models and have a unique and funny personal relationship. He should be a stalwart of the NY social scene as well as a voice for various charities that interest him. He should do Leno and Letterman often. It goes on and on...

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dangallant984

@Wonderman1 said:

I find it refreshing that the Torch is not a scientific genius, they seem to be coming out of the woodwork at Marvel. He is a skilled mechanic though which could come in handy. I do agree that the Uncanny Avengers is not the place for him with Sunfire there. I do not agree that Sunfire (a B or C character at best) is more overdue for attention then Johnny Storm of the FF.

I think that because Johny's already on the FF, he's already getting more than enough attention. Whereas Sunfire, a character who's been around almost as long, and is (in my opinion) more interesting, has been delegated to relative obscurity for no reason other than no one has used him much. He's definitely way more overdue.

@Wonderman1 said:

His power levels are vast but how to use the power is largely unexplored. He can do so much more then throw balls of fire if a little creativity and perhaps some appropriate occasional gadgets are mixed in. We now know Thing will live for hundreds of years thanks to the FF serum. Maybe Johnny unlike his teammates is still absorbing cosmic rays enabling his powers to continue to grow but dooming him to eventually go super-nova in the future. He is single and rich like Tony Stark (not as rich of course) and they should run into each other often at black tie events. They should have dated the same super models and have a unique and funny personal relationship. He should be a stalwart of the NY social scene as well as a voice for various charities that interest him. He should do Leno and Letterman often. It goes on and on...

All of which he can do in the pages of Fantastic Four. None of this explains why he should be on the Avengers, which already has a huge cast of characters, many of whom don't have their own books to be featured in (which he does).

That said, I do kind of think that the whole of the FF could stand to be supporting characters in more books, including the Avengers I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

No. I'm sick of 90% of the Marvel U being Avengers.

Impala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Impala
    Wonderman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wonderman1

I understand the reluctance to make everyone an Avenger. Perhaps I just feel Human Torch has been slighted by being the only FF member who has not been an Avenger. It may be that what I am really looking for is a mini-series dedicated exclusively to fleshing out Johnny Storm. After all these years he has little identity outside of the FF which is less true of Reed (Illuminati) and Thing (multiple mini-series and Marvel Two-in-One).

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dangallant984

@Wonderman1 said:

I understand the reluctance to make everyone an Avenger. Perhaps I just feel Human Torch has been slighted by being the only FF member who has not been an Avenger. It may be that what I am really looking for is a mini-series dedicated exclusively to fleshing out Johnny Storm. After all these years he has little identity outside of the FF which is less true of Reed (Illuminati) and Thing (multiple mini-series and Marvel Two-in-One).

I agree that after 50 years of being in a comic book he should be more fleshed out (there's really only four main characters, after all), but that doesn't mean he's not the least interesting member of the Fantastic Four, which I've always thought he was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Becoming an Avenger used to mean something, now that they are pushing half the Marvel U through the ranks its quickly becoming a joke.

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Ren_

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Becoming an Avenger used to mean something, now that they are pushing half the Marvel U through the ranks its quickly becoming a joke.

Let's be honest...it hit this point like two years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ren_ said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Let's be honest...it hit this point like two years ago.

Very true, but now with the 24 (WTF?) person Avengers roster full of strange choices with very little to no reason to be there, it is at its peak

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Blood1991

I would Rather Sue be an Avenger before Johnny. Her character could use some development away from Reed.

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dangallant984

@Blood1991 said:

I would Rather Sue be an Avenger before Johnny. Her character could use some development away from Reed.

That would interest me a hundred times more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.