Thoughts on the State of the Avengers

#1 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. The current roster in the main book - I'm a fan of how Hickman is handling this group. With at least 6 members of the Avengers with solo titles having a large selection of characters to pull from is ideal. So if Wolverine is busy being killed elsewhere plug in Hyperion, Manifold, Smasher, Nightmask, Abyss, Star Brand or whomever. That way Hickman doesn't need to worry about what happening in Wolverine, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, or Hawkeye's solo books.
  2. Uncanny Avengers - Remender is doing a great job balancing the Avenger's Unity Squad and tying up some loose ends from his Uncanny X-Force run. This is one of my favorite books every month.
  3. Mighty Avengers - Yes this book has been plagued with Greg Landitis, but I'm excited to see Blue Marvel get another chance in the Marvel Universe. This book is obviously an attempt to bolster Marvel's POC characters and overall public image, but also including three character from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon might also attract a younger audience.
  4. Avenger Movies - I'll be honest, I'm sick of seeing the CV Avenger's forum dominated with movie related posts, but the movies are good should be drawing more Avenger comic fans into the fold.
  5. Other Avenger's Titles - I'm mainly an X-Men person, so I do not spend too much of my resources purchasing and reading Avengers books. The first six issues of Young Avengers was fun, but I had to make cuts and it didn't survive. Avengers Arena is the only other book I'm continuing to pick up. It's starting to stall a bit, but hopefully the upcoming End Boss arc will liven things up. I'm not interested in AI or Secret even though I'm certain they have some good aspects.
  6. Avengers This and That - I know why Marvel labels everything Avengers or X-Men, but please stop. Try to develop other characters, groups and brands.
  7. Infinity - I'm really enjoying Infinity so far. Here is a discussion board that I've tried to dump some thoughts and info into.
  8. Age of Ultron/Heroic Age - I'm also super curious about every that is changing due to the Age of Ultron story line and the time line presented in the Avenger's Heroic Age back in 2010. Here is a thread about the timeline that foreshadowed things like Age of Ultron, Schism, and several other Marvel events. Here is an image...

What are your thoughts?

#2 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4563 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood said:
  1. The current roster in the main book - I'm a fan of how Hickman is handling this group. With at least 6 members of the Avengers with solo titles having a large selection of characters to pull from is ideal. So if Wolverine is busy being killed elsewhere plug in Hyperion, Manifold, Smasher, Nightmask, Abyss, Star Brand or whomever. That way Hickman doesn't need to worry about what happening in Wolverine, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, or Hawkeye's solo books.

I actually really like the idea of the large roster, for basically the reasons you said: I like that the main team incorporates a solid core of classic characters along with several newer members. In theory, I think that sounds kind of perfect. In practice, though, I have two problems with it (or that stem from it): 1.) other than Hyperion and Manifold, none of the new members have really done anything very interesting, and 2.) really none of the characters have come across as interesting, despite having so many of my favorites.

Really, I think it boils down to this story not actually being about the members of the team so much as the reason the team exists; most of the characters themselves seem pretty interchangeable. That in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I do feel it's being done in the service of a story that has yet to interest me after 16 issues. I had to drop this one.

1. Uncanny Avengers - Remender is doing a great job balancing the Avenger's Unity Squad and tying up some loose ends from his Uncanny X-Force run. This is one of my favorite books every month.
Uncanny Avengers

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, Uncanny Avengers isn't just the best Avengers book going, it's the best Avengers book in years. This book is pretty much everything I like about the Avengers: classic Avengers, new members, epic stories, and fun character drama. This should just be the main Avengers book in my mind.

1. Mighty Avengers - Yes this book has been plagued with Greg Landitis, but I'm excited to see Blue Marvel get another chance in the Marvel Universe. This book is obviously an attempt to bolster Marvel's POC characters and overall public image, but also including three character from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon might also attract a younger audience.

Really curious and excited about this line up as well. Though I'm far less interested in the work of Greg Land, I will give this book a chance to get to see this line up will do.

New Avengers

I've also been really enjoying New Avengers (even if it should really be called the Illuminati). It really feels like a different kind of superhero book, and I can't help but feel like this book, with it's great cast of major players from all over the MU, is more well suited to the kinds of stories Hickman wants to tell. It's not quite an Avengers book, but it's still probably my second favorite Avengers book at the moment.

I do think Secret Avengers (which should really be called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) is a great book for people who like the more secret agent style stuff, with all of the Avengers and SHIELD characters that are most appropriate for that sort of thing, and it's cool to see Black Widow, Mockingbird, War Machine, and the Hulk on a team that actually makes sense for them. It's a cool side of the MU that I'm glad to see being explored.

As for all the big events, I've decided to stop participating in them. I've not read Age of Ultron at all, and as far as Infinity goes, I'll only be reading the parts that cross into books I'm already reading (New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, and to give Mighty Avengers a try).

If I can't get the gist of it from that, I'll just drop those books until it's over. I'm not playing this game again.

#3 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

If I can't get the gist of it from that, I'll just drop those books until it's over. I'm not playing this game again.

I had to do the same thing with AvX. That was just horrible. So far, I'm enjoying Infinity let's hope Hickman can connect all the dots.

Check out that Infinity thread if you feel like your missing out on something. I'll try to update everything I think is significant (along with speculation and general discussion).

#4 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4563 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood: I wish I'd done that with Avs.X, it was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Especially after I started reading All-New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers and had so much of the story reiterated. I do think it's a good thing that they seem to be making the new books pretty reader friendly that way, because I don't think people should feel like they have to read the event books to understand what's going on in the regular titles. So I'm doing the experiment on myself.

So far, I don't feel like I've missed anything from Age of Ultron (although I hear that's actually set in the near future, so I guess we'll see). I'm going to try to enjoy Infinity by only reading the three Avengers books I'm reading anyway, and I'm going to see if I can do the same with Battle of the Atom (by only reading X-men, Uncanny X-men, and All-new X-men).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.