Thoughts on the Avengers Assemble Animated Series?

• 64 results
#1 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

since a few days have passed since me watching the show , i can safely say what i see.

The show doesn't start well, it's nor crap like everyone says but it depends way to much on the movies, and the characterization is iffy. the voice acting for some is awesome(hulk), but for others (thor), not so much.

#2 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Wait wut... How have you seen this?!

As for the series itself, I'll definitely give it a shot and the animation looks pretty good! Obviously, I'll miss EMH but if I can bear Ultimate Spider-Man's replacement of Spectacular, I can handle this as well!

#3 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

iTunes has the preview for free - unfortunately, I think those outside of North America can't access it (I can't, but perhaps other countries can?)

If this series isn't at least the equal of EMH - I'll be ticked off.

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

iTunes has the preview for free - unfortunately, I think those outside of North America can't access it (I can't, but perhaps other countries can?)

If this series isn't at least the equal of EMH - I'll be ticked off.

Well Obviously it can't match avenges EMH just yet, if ever, but it's a decent start, and the comedy isn't forced down my throat.

@theacidskull: Wait wut... How have you seen this?!

As for the series itself, I'll definitely give it a shot and the animation looks pretty good! Obviously, I'll miss EMH but if I can bear Ultimate Spider-Man's replacement of Spectacular, I can handle this as well!

I tunes Has it for freez :)

#5 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull

I'm willing to give it a chance - obviously the first episode is too early to tell - but I'll definitely be irritated if it hasn't impressed me by the end of the first season.

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@theacidskull

I'm willing to give it a chance - obviously the first episode is too early to tell - but I'll definitely be irritated if it hasn't impressed me by the end of the first season.

Well it was far from perfect but it did impress me :P

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: WUT!? I heard that the only way to watch it was to tune into Disney XD on May 26th for the one hour premier. ALL THE LIES AND DECEIT!!

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull

I'll check it out when I get the chance. I can't access it from iTunes and I don't think they'll have it in syndication here...guess I'll have to use...other means....

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: WUT!? I heard that the only way to watch it was to tune into Disney XD on May 26th for the one hour premier. ALL THE LIES AND DECEIT!!

Jeph loeb remember?

XD

@veshark said:

@theacidskull

I'll check it out when I get the chance. I can't access it from iTunes and I don't think they'll have it in syndication here...guess I'll have to use...other means....

Well i live in Georgia( not the state) and i manage to access it :/

#10 Posted by Vitality (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know...is that it better have Ms. Marvel in it like EMH did.

#11 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

It took over EMH

it is poop

bending over to movies

#12 Posted by Oscars94 (2325 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it on Animeflavor?

#13 Posted by JollyClown (6 posts) - - Show Bio

We should watching epic surtur fight right now, not this cheap movie spin-off!

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

well the first ep was decent, much better than ultimate spider-man. but lets hope it tries to live up to the old EMH

#15 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers: EMH was no great show. Extremely kiddy.

#16 Posted by JollyClown (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@jollyclown said:

well the first ep was decent, much better than ultimate spider-man. but lets hope it tries to live up to the old EMH

Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes ;

Avengers Assemble ;

#17 Edited by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down to watch a couple episodes and see how it goes.

#18 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@jollyclown: Yes! I died a little on the inside when the show was canceled and didn't get a satisfying conclusion.

#19 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, so I finally got around to watching the episode. Spoiler-filled thoughts follow:

The animation is quite nicely done. While I will miss the bright colors and bold lines of EMH, this new style could work. There's an overall sense of muted, more 'realistic' colors in the vein of JL/JLU - and the action scenes are all smoothly animated. I also enjoyed the occasional comic-book panel look they gave to some bits.

As for the story itself, I found it mildly entertaining. It was hardly spectacular, but it's a sufficient premise. But I'm willing to watch a couple more episodes, solely because it always takes an animated series a while to find its footing. Only a few series are exciting from the get-go (EMH, YJ, SSM) - many great superhero shows have taken a couple of episodes to really find their rhythms - JLU and WaTXM come to mind. But as for the plot of this one, it's pretty straightforward: Cap dies, that's a reason to assemble the team once again, they fight the Skull and (kinda) win. I will say that the cliffhanger was kinda stupid though...I cringed when the words 'Iron Skull' came out.

On to the characterization - I liked Hawkeye the most here. He was one of my favorites in EMH, and it's nice to see his humorous streak return. That scene with him flicking the box of mints was a great display of his skill. Black Widow got some time to shine as well, and I think both Thor and Hulk were represented well (the thunder boom they made together was a great moment). Falcon was alright, but I'm hoping he does grow later in the story, and I don't really like the idea of his suit being a Stark one. Naturally, as a Cap fan, I was a little disappointed that he didn't get to show his moves much, but I'll just chalk it up to plot purpose. Finally, for Tony himself, I didn't like his voice actor at all. It wasn't terrible, but it isn't quite how I envision Tony's voice. But I'm willing to give the voice actors a couple more episodes to adjust to their roles. Oh, I also hate the idea of Red Skull being a super-soldier like the MCU, I've always preferred him as the manipulative schemer.

It's a solid start, not exactly one that completely blew me away, but it serves its purpose fine. Obviously, the show takes a lot of cues from the MCU, but I'm hoping it goes beyond that and expands with the Avengers mythos from the comics. Right now my biggest worry is that this show will go the Iron Man route and have Tony take the leadership position. In EMH and the comics, Tony was sort of the defacto leader at the start, but Cap always takes over the position eventually. Cap's leadership of the Avengers is one of his defining roles - he's basically the face of the team - and I've always preferred Cap as the leader with Tony as his 'consigliere', so to speak.

All that aside, it was a promising start. I think it's fair to say that Loeb's claim that this was a continuation of EMH is total bull - and EMH will always have a special place in my heart - but hey, no use crying over spilled milk, right? Here's to hoping that Avengers Assemble can at least measure up to EMH, and be a great animated series in the process.

#20 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@jollyclown: Yes! I died a little on the inside when the show was canceled and didn't get a satisfying conclusion.

I know how you feel - I still cry myself to sleep every night thinking about EMH. I suppose we can be grateful that at the very least - they had an epic finale with the whole Galactus battle and all the heroes of the series coming together. But I was really anticipating a Season 3 that was reportedly gonna be more 'magic' in contrast to S2's 'cosmic' theme, and the show had a great cast of fantastic voice actors.

#21 Posted by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

I have recently watched the first episode of Avengers Assemble. Its a good enough start. I'll keep watching.

By the way, the second season of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was not good.

The final episode of season 2 felt very cheap and not epic at all.

They messed up the character of Galactus and his heralds in last episode as well.

#22 Posted by Farkam (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

Episode was good up until the Iron Skull. Lol.

#23 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Every character had the right voice which made it so much better. They finally got a good voice for Thor and they aren't using him for assemble. Almost every other Thor voice actor sounds almost identical and it doesn't work for me. I also don't like the new Iron Man voice actor, it doesn't work for me, but I liked the emh one though.

The one tiny nitpick I had about the season 2 finale was the absence of Surfer but I got over it quickly and still enjoyed the awesome finale. I never heard the rumor about more magic but that would've been awesome. I heard a rumor about the X-Men finally getting a full appearance in the show which may include Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. I also found this picture, it may not be real but I still like it.

#24 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21

Exactly - the EMH voice cast was just perfect. From Jan's bubbliness, to Hawkeye's sarcasm and Cap's commanding voice. I'm willing to give the voice cast of this new series to adjust to their roles, but EMH was great from the get-go.

I think that picture's just some imaginary art from the series' artists, but it would've been awesome if the X-Men came in. I mean they already had Wolverine, and there's in-show references to Cyclops and the other X-Men. There were just so many opportunities from great plot threads that I always feel disappointed thinking about it. Would Bucky ever assume the mantle of Cap like he does in the comics? What about great Avengers arcs like the Avengers-Defenders War? And there were still so many classic Avengers villains to mine...Nefaria, Thanos, Taskmaster...

#25 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: The next best thing is to hope those villains, heroes and story arcs are told during Assemble. I would've loved if they had Thanos get the cosmic cube and did story arc on that. Ultimate Spider Man likes to have a lot of episodes with different guests so maybe Assemble shows off other heroes and villains as well? I'm trying to be really optimistic about this new show but its so hard to forget this is the show that replaced EMH.

#26 Posted by MrMazz (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap that episode was bad. See blog post for further detail. There was no moment for pause or anything, it didn't matter though because things were happening!! The voice acting wasn't good but honestly the least of my complaints. The animation on this show was terible. Look at the contrast with the background and how out of place they look when they are not in motion. At least Ultimate Spider-man tries to be funny (and fails) this is trying anything and feels like a cynical cash grab to sell toys. This is why we can't have things like Young Justice, Spectacular Spider-man, and Avengers EMH

#27 Posted by frogdog (3236 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

Avengers: EMH was no great show. Extremely kiddy.

False

#28 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Alright, so I finally got around to watching the episode. Spoiler-filled thoughts follow:

The animation is quite nicely done. While I will miss the bright colors and bold lines of EMH, this new style could work. There's an overall sense of muted, more 'realistic' colors in the vein of JL/JLU - and the action scenes are all smoothly animated. I also enjoyed the occasional comic-book panel look they gave to some bits.

As for the story itself, I found it mildly entertaining. It was hardly spectacular, but it's a sufficient premise. But I'm willing to watch a couple more episodes, solely because it always takes an animated series a while to find its footing. Only a few series are exciting from the get-go (EMH, YJ, SSM) - many great superhero shows have taken a couple of episodes to really find their rhythms - JLU and WaTXM come to mind. But as for the plot of this one, it's pretty straightforward: Cap dies, that's a reason to assemble the team once again, they fight the Skull and (kinda) win. I will say that the cliffhanger was kinda stupid though...I cringed when the words 'Iron Skull' came out.

On to the characterization - I liked Hawkeye the most here. He was one of my favorites in EMH, and it's nice to see his humorous streak return. That scene with him flicking the box of mints was a great display of his skill. Black Widow got some time to shine as well, and I think both Thor and Hulk were represented well (the thunder boom they made together was a great moment). Falcon was alright, but I'm hoping he does grow later in the story, and I don't really like the idea of his suit being a Stark one. Naturally, as a Cap fan, I was a little disappointed that he didn't get to show his moves much, but I'll just chalk it up to plot purpose. Finally, for Tony himself, I didn't like his voice actor at all. It wasn't terrible, but it isn't quite how I envision Tony's voice. But I'm willing to give the voice actors a couple more episodes to adjust to their roles. Oh, I also hate the idea of Red Skull being a super-soldier like the MCU, I've always preferred him as the manipulative schemer.

It's a solid start, not exactly one that completely blew me away, but it serves its purpose fine. Obviously, the show takes a lot of cues from the MCU, but I'm hoping it goes beyond that and expands with the Avengers mythos from the comics. Right now my biggest worry is that this show will go the Iron Man route and have Tony take the leadership position. In EMH and the comics, Tony was sort of the defacto leader at the start, but Cap always takes over the position eventually. Cap's leadership of the Avengers is one of his defining roles - he's basically the face of the team - and I've always preferred Cap as the leader with Tony as his 'consigliere', so to speak.

All that aside, it was a promising start. I think it's fair to say that Loeb's claim that this was a continuation of EMH is total bull - and EMH will always have a special place in my heart - but hey, no use crying over spilled milk, right? Here's to hoping that Avengers Assemble can at least measure up to EMH, and be a great animated series in the process.

This pretty much, it's far from perfect but i'm willing to watch more.

#29 Edited by Oscars94 (2325 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the animation style and the character's personalities and interaction. Didn't really like the voice acting.

#30 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (299 posts) - - Show Bio

How were the power disparity shown in the show? Thinking between the main men such as hulk,thor and iron man? Hell throw a little falcon and hawkeye in their to. @theacidskull

#31 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17297 posts) - - Show Bio

How were the power disparity shown in the show? Thinking between the main men such as hulk,thor and iron man? Hell throw a little falcon and hawkeye in their to. @theacidskull

the powers were the least of my worries, but most seemed fine except for iron man, he completely demolished by cap.

#32 Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmazz: Can we be best friends? Cause, that was bloody awful. Is everyone just going easy on it and settling for it because EMH is gone and this is all we have left? The plot was terrible, the characterization was totally off, the voice actors were all wrong, the "humour" was nowhere near the level of wit and intelligence EMH had. They clearly went for the easy laugh by falling back on all the stereotypical "funny" things about the characters. The animation was bad. Like, really bad. The characters looked completely out of place against the backdrops. I'm probably not even going to watch the second episode because the first was so f'ing bad. Everything about it screamed "trying to hard". And we're going to get stuck with it because people are going to settle for it because EMH got cancelled. This just makes me even more angry, because what I watched couldn't hold a candle to its predecessor, and yet, Avengers Assemble will more than likely get more seasons. Absolutely ridiculous.

#33 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5885 posts) - - Show Bio

It's........well I'll still watch it cause I have nothing better to do on Sunday mornings, but I didn't really like it that much. Is it suppose to be a continuation cause I can't see where it left off.

#34 Posted by 14NC3 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@jollyclown said:

Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes ;

Avengers Assemble ;

LMAO

#35 Posted by Kyzuko (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a bit iffy about Part One but I kinda loved Part Two. Can't wait for it to officially air.

#36 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (258 posts) - - Show Bio

Im just wondering if this show is supposed to be within the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Iron Man made references to the team disbanning like what happened after the Avengers movie. If thats the case then I hope they do an episode with Loki cause that would be interesting to the Avengers interact with him again.

I also love the fact that the first threat the Avengers face in this series is the Red Skull. Definitely going to watch it

#37 Posted by frogdog (3236 posts) - - Show Bio

It's meh to me, not worth cancelling EMH

Falcon is a lame replacement for black panther.

#38 Edited by lorex (946 posts) - - Show Bio

The real reason EMH was canceled was it was not produced by Marvel/Disney and they probably wanted tighter control over their intellectual property. I know it is early but so far there are a few things I have noticed and do not like.:

- The voice acting just seems off to me. perhaps it is just too soom since EMH was canceled but I guess I expect the characters to sound the same.

- I think the animation is worse that EMH. In some placed it looks like a more polished flash animation than an animated TV show. Also as others have noted the color palet seems a bit darker but that is OK.

- I know they want to keep attention focused on the characters that appeared in the motion and give some attention to the Falcon that has been confirmed to be in the sequal but with all the great characters in Avengers history I feel like others are just left out. Also I still think they are throwing Hank and Janet under the bus by leaving them out of the movie and continuing that with their absance here.

- This new show seems more like an advertisment for the next movie rather than an attempt at making an enertaining show. I know any animated version of an established property is to some degree advertising the property as a whole, though I never thought Star Wars The Clone Wars was just an advertisment for Star Wars and I did not feel EMH was just an advertisment for Avengers. This show feels more like it is attempting to keep the characters fresh in the minds of the fans (and sell toys) rather than tell good stories.

That being said the show is not bad so far and I am unwilling to write it off yet, but so far I do not see the wow factor that would really make me interested and want to tune in every week. Sadly due to the box office success of the Avengers and Marvel movies in general this show will probable do better due to existing hype and interest in Avengers in general.

Also I know Marvel is all Avengers all the time right now but would it kill them to put out a new X-Men animated series, rather than those crappy anime versions, this coming from a fan of anime.

#39 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1556 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not bad. Unlike EMH, it didn't start with a bang or really grab me from the get go. Some of the voice acting is a little off, but that's probably because i'm used to the ones from the first series. The animation is a complete 180, but its not bad. Its simply a completely different style that also works in my opinion. I like the character lineup, but really wish this wasn't like some sort of setup for the next Avengers movie. I'd prefer for it to be its own show with no connection to anything else. I'll give it a chance for a few more episodes to see how it goes, and try really really hard not to compare it to EMH lol cause it'll lose.

Is this supposed to be taking place in the movie universe?

#40 Edited by Farkam (4806 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to beat a dead horse but EMH was just a so much better show than this. I watched the second episode, which i didn't like that much compared to the first one (or any sub-par EMH episode for that matter). Cap needs to be more of a leader. Black Widow is portrayed as an obnoxious insufferable bitch. Always scowling and mouthing off. Falcon is sucky, personality wise. He is just the "new guy" of the show and acts like he constantly needs Stark's approval. Asides from that I like him. I like Hawkeye, which is a first. This show is just...ughhh.

#41 Edited by The Stegman (23077 posts) - - Show Bio

I've posted about this twice before, but what the hey, I'll do it again....The show is crap.

1. We had constant claims that this will be a CONTINUATION of EMH, but it isn't. The team is disbanded in the first episode for some reason (hostilities perhaps?) and have to get back together, though while in EMH they feel like a team, and work together well, here they just seem distant from one another and show non of the teamwork they once had. Also, how is Falcon a newb in this show, but a seasoned fighter in EMH? Yeah, it's not a continuation, no matter what the writers say.

2. The voice acting is horrid. Besides the fact that Hawkeye, Cap and Iron man sound almost identical, we have Thor who was a pain to listen to, and Black Widow who doesn't have a hint of Russian in her. At least in EMH she switched back and forth in accents.

3. Predictable, boring plot. The plot for the first episode is this, Cap is thought to be killed by Red Skull, and Iron Man gets the team back together to avenge him, though Cap ISN'T dead (shocker right?) but held captive. The second episode is even worse, as Tony is left near death in the first episode, but recovers instantly with a new improved suit (that literally shows nothing new from his previous suit) and now the team is controlled by nanites and end up fighting each other, cause we haven't seen THAT before. At the end of the day, Falcon and Thor save them all...kinda. We see Thor vs Hulk fight each other IN BOTH EPISODES. We get it, they're the strongest, do they have to keep fighting??

4. Thor is portrayed as an immature youngster who only cares about fighting and is constantly ''sparring'' with the Hulk instead of acting like his normal self.

5. The animation is worst than EMH

6. Falcon is there for no reason, why not have Black Panther? At least he served a greater purpose

7. Every attempt at "humor'' they made fell flat and was cheesier than Kraft singles. Hawkeye went from being hilarious in EMH to eye roll worthy.

Overall, the show is very, very disappointing.

#42 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11103 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex said:

The real reason EMH was canceled was it was not produced by Marvel/Disney and they probably wanted tighter control over their intellectual property. I know it is early but so far there are a few things I have noticed and do not like.:

- The voice acting just seems off to me. perhaps it is just too soom since EMH was canceled but I guess I expect the characters to sound the same.

- I think the animation is worse that EMH. In some placed it looks like a more polished flash animation than an animated TV show. Also as others have noted the color palet seems a bit darker but that is OK.

- I know they want to keep attention focused on the characters that appeared in the motion and give some attention to the Falcon that has been confirmed to be in the sequal but with all the great characters in Avengers history I feel like others are just left out. Also I still think they are throwing Hank and Janet under the bus by leaving them out of the movie and continuing that with their absance here.

YES! I thought I was the only one who thought it looked like flash animation! I am so happy I'm not alone!

Also, the voice acting for some of the characters, like a lot of people said above, just flat out sucks. Tony has a horrible voice.

#43 Posted by Farkam (4806 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Nobleman_ (29 posts) - - Show Bio

The show is terrible... The entire Marvel existence is now relying on the Cinematic Universe which is totally messing everything up - oh and what is the deal with Falcon in this? Why is he associated with Iron Man and not Cap? It's just awful.

#45 Posted by lilben42 (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: Agreed. It was way too predictable and cliche. Like when Black Panther "died" even as a kid I would know he wasn't dead. I was a smart kid.

#46 Edited by ThePhoenX (119 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by New_World_Order (12517 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, it's pretty cool.

#48 Posted by PowerHerc (81623 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it but I wish it would introduce more Avengers members.

#49 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

I've posted about this twice before, but what the hey, I'll do it again....The show is crap.

1. We had constant claims that this will be a CONTINUATION of EMH, but it isn't. The team is disbanded in the first episode for some reason (hostilities perhaps?) and have to get back together, though while in EMH they feel like a team, and work together well, here they just seem distant from one another and show non of the teamwork they once had. Also, how is Falcon a newb in this show, but a seasoned fighter in EMH? Yeah, it's not a continuation, no matter what the writers say.

2. The voice acting is horrid. Besides the fact that Hawkeye, Cap and Iron man sound almost identical, we have Thor who was a pain to listen to, and Black Widow who doesn't have a hint of Russian in her. At least in EMH she switched back and forth in accents.

3. Predictable, boring plot. The plot for the first episode is this, Cap is thought to be killed by Red Skull, and Iron Man gets the team back together to avenge him, though Cap ISN'T dead (shocker right?) but held captive. The second episode is even worse, as Tony is left near death in the first episode, but recovers instantly with a new improved suit (that literally shows nothing new from his previous suit) and now the team is controlled by nanites and end up fighting each other, cause we haven't seen THAT before. At the end of the day, Falcon and Thor save them all...kinda. We see Thor vs Hulk fight each other IN BOTH EPISODES. We get it, they're the strongest, do they have to keep fighting??

4. Thor is portrayed as an immature youngster who only cares about fighting and is constantly ''sparring'' with the Hulk instead of acting like his normal self.

5. The animation is worst than EMH

6. Falcon is there for no reason, why not have Black Panther? At least he served a greater purpose

7. Every attempt at "humor'' they made fell flat and was cheesier than Kraft singles. Hawkeye went from being hilarious in EMH to eye roll worthy.

Overall, the show is very, very disappointing.

This.

#50 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

My first impression?

The animation is really questionable. I wasn't a bit fan style of animation in EMH, but it felt flood and worked. But the animation here is more reminiscient of the 60s version of toon Avengers. That's kinda terrible in today's toon world.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.