The Real leader of the Avengers?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by Dark_Slayor (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it Captain America or Iron Man? I've been wondering. I consider Cap the leader, but some people I talk to and my friends think Tony is the leader, since he did form the team himself and added Cap to the roster.

Or is the Avengers like the Justice League where Superman(Cap) is the figure head/inspirational hero while Batman(Iron Man) is the strategist/tactician. Both are leaders on the team but in different ways.

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13405 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is the leader.

#3 Edited by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap

#4 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_slayor said:

Is it Captain America or Iron Man? I've been wondering. I consider Cap the leader, but some people I talk to and my friends think Tony is the leader, since he did form the team himself and added Cap to the roster.

Or is the Avengers like the Justice League where Superman(Cap) is the figure head/inspirational hero while Batman(Iron Man) is the strategist/tactician. Both are leaders on the team but in different ways.

Technically it was either Ant-Man or Wasp(or both) who formed The Avengers, as it was their idea for the original five to stay together as a team, and Wasp came up with the name, with Ant-Man deciding that they should go with that name.

They've officially had a few different people as the leader/chairperson over the years, but I don't know who's technically in charge at the moment.

However, on the Hickman Chart, Iron Man and Captain America both have extra circles around their symbols, and are in the inner circle, having jointly put the new team together, so I would probably say that they're co-leaders at the moment, but I could be wrong.

#5 Posted by War Killer (20340 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is the leader of the Avengers, he's held that title since he was revived way back in Avengers #4 and continues to hold that title even today.

Iron Man, while I believe has held the title of leader in the past, has never held the title as prominently as Cap has. He has only recently been pushed into that position because of Iron Man's popularity due to the movies and Marvel trying to cash in on that popularity. But in the comics, Captain America has always been seen as the definite leader of the Avengers.

#6 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is the leader of the Avengers, he's held that title since he was revived way back in Avengers #4 and continues to hold that title even today.

Iron Man, while I believe has held the title of leader in the past, has never held the title as prominently as Cap has. He has only recently been pushed into that position because of Iron Man's popularity due to the movies and Marvel trying to cash in on that popularity. But in the comics, Captain America has always been seen as the definite leader of the Avengers.

I think he actually became the leader in #16, and other people have been leader since then.

#7 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6092 posts) - - Show Bio

Jarvis, he's the glue that holds them together.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been many leaders of the avengers

#9 Posted by Vortex13 (12265 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been many leaders of the avengers

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

Every original member aside from Hulk has lead the team at some point, Hawkeye led two off shoot teams, Vision has even led the team on a few occasions.

#11 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12012 posts) - - Show Bio

Havok is the leader of The Avengers! ;-)

#12 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4706 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_slayor: it really depends on which Avengers your talking about.

haha! well, he is the leader of my favorite Avengers team right now, so..

Yeah, I'll go with Havok.

#13 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15529 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is the best leader for the Avengers.

#14 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

Me too -- except, how we call him Alex?

Because..you know.

:P

#15 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12012 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Because..you know.

I...I don't know o.O

#16 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Because..you know.

I...I don't know o.O

Aww --sorry... just a little side shot at Havoc's lovely speech about dropping the "M" word and responding to that reporter's question about what they should call mutants. His handsome grin and suggestion he be called, Alex.

I do feel the need to point out that I didn't have a problem with his speech at all (which might be an unpopular opinion based on the brouhaha caused by it at the time)

This panel:

#17 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

I think he actually became the leader in #16, and other people have been leader since then.

I believe it was retconned to Avengers #8 - the first appearance of Kang. Basically Iron Man was sort of the defacto leader of the Avengers and Captain America was just another member - but Tony wasn't much of a leader, and they lost the first battle against Kang and were imprisoned. But Cap managed to free them, and when he finally led them they won. From then on, the rest of the Avengers were so impressed with his leadership skills that they elected him, with Tony gladly stepping aside.

There have been many 'chairpersons' of the team, but for the most part Captain America is recognized as the defacto face of the Avengers, not only in terms of inspiration, but also tactically, I think. As aforementioned, I feel like IM has been receiving a recent push as a result of the MCU (like the Avengers animated series for example), which is why some might misconstrue him as the leader. Comics-wise though, as in Hickman's present run, Cap still remains the leader with Tony as his sort of right-hand man (which is the way it should be, I feel).

#18 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15529 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I agree with you man and nicely done.

#19 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know Braniac calls the shots sillies.

#21 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Wow, seriously? That's so much different to what originally happened.

What was the retconned version printed in?

#22 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

Wow, seriously? That's so much different to what originally happened.

What was the retconned version printed in?

Mark Waid's Captain America: Man Out of Time. He basically retconned it so that Cap was already the leader before the Kooky Quartet thing. If you haven't read the story, I definitely recommend it.

#23 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I'm not necessarily interested in Captain America solo comics, but I'd be interested to see how this event compares to the original. If I can get it fairly cheap then I might.

I wonder why they would change that. Maybe they just wanted him to be leader because of a heroic act, rather than being made the leader just for being around the longest.

#24 Posted by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Like batman and superman for the justice league its kind of a de facto joint leadership between cap and iron man

#25 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

I'm not necessarily interested in Captain America solo comics, but I'd be interested to see how this event compares to the original. If I can get it fairly cheap then I might.

I wonder why they would change that. Maybe they just wanted him to be leader because of a heroic act, rather than being made the leader just for being around the longest.

It actually fits Cap a lot better, I feel. Waid's always been pretty smooth with continuity, and by tying it to Kang, it offers some good storytelling for Cap since he's a man out of time (and Kang's a time-traveller). I won't spoil it for you if you do get it, but I essentially agree with you - it justifies his leadership better than the Quartet story.

#26 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6418 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I'll maybe give it a go then. It doesn't seem to expensive to get a pre-owned copy, and it could be a good thing to get, at least for some retconned Avengers history.

#27 Posted by HumanRocket (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is the leader. Stark is more the guy who supplies the avengers with all the tech and the housing but also plays a co leader role. iron man has said before the avengers were great when they first started but they were missing a key material and that was filled when captain america was part of the team. Cap has done a good job of leading of other incarnations of avengers (new avengers, secret avengers and the 2nd version of he avengers, quicksilver scarlet witch hawkeye Goliath).

#28 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8470 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America. If they aren't sure, quote the movie. Tony Stark: "Call it, Captain." He orders, and everyone does their part.

#29 Posted by Captainamerica119 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny- Havok

Regular- Cap

#30 Posted by Recklesswiz (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron man is the most well rounded leader.... Leadership (check), tech (check), badassery (check), FUNDING FOR A HUGE TEAM (check)

#31 Posted by Perethorn (3429 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is the best leader.

Iron Man tends to be and idiot when taking important decisions and Thor is too brute.

#32 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Man................just kidding Captain America!

#33 Posted by Doctorholmes241 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I Think Cap is the inspirational and field leader while Tony is more prep strategy and science

#34 Posted by THORSON (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

CAP is the leader.

IM is the technology guy

THOR is the facilitator, when people are f'n up he can put people back into line.

#35 Edited by phisigmatau (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

@lykopis said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

Because..you know.

I...I don't know o.O

Aww --sorry... just a little side shot at Havoc's lovely speech about dropping the "M" word and responding to that reporter's question about what they should call mutants. His handsome grin and suggestion he be called, Alex.

I do feel the need to point out that I didn't have a problem with his speech at all (which might be an unpopular opinion based on the brouhaha caused by it at the time)

This panel:

look at this buttwipe and the rest of the avengers dressed like a bunch of clowns at a conference.

@thorson and i would say thor is the regulator... same responsibility that you stated, just gullier name

#36 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@phisigmatau:

Thanks for the useless comment. Pretty much all the mutants and superhumans dress like clowns.

#37 Posted by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio

its cap on the battle field, but equal when strategizing

#38 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

IM and other have held the title plenty of times but it always ends up coming back to Cap.

#39 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Give Marvel back the movie rights to wolverine and he'll out stage them all and become the Avengers leader. The only reason Marvel ain't riding Wolvie's... Ummm.. 'Adamantium' is because they can't profit in his movies. Nyehehehehehe!

#40 Edited by dbatdog (548 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America, which is technically manipulated by a future Ultron, which is control by Batman

#41 Edited by Lordhuck (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America thinks he is the leader of the Avengers but when push comes to shove Iron Man is really the leader. As Shown recently when Captain America has his mind wiped of several days worth of memories by Iron Man and a few other Avengers when they didn't care for his stance on an issue.

#42 Edited by youngwonderman (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America is the face of the Avengers and the field leader, but Iron Man represents the Avengers in the Illuminati and always supplied the base and technology. I would say they are co-leaders along with all the other founders. The great thing about the Avengers has always been that Cap may lead them in the field, but out of combat, all Avengers contribute to the strategy and training. That's why they originally had the rotating chairman idea, because not one of them could "lead" the team better than the others. In my mind though the leaders are all the founders: Iron Man, Thor, Hank Pym, Wasp, and Captain America (replaced Hulk as a founder). These are the guys that came up with the idea and will never let it die, and they are also the ones who are first thoughts when putting together new teams.

#43 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordhuck said:

Captain America thinks he is the leader of the Avengers but when push comes to shove Iron Man is really the leader. As Shown recently when Captain America has his mind wiped of several days worth of memories by Iron Man and a few other Avengers when they didn't care for his stance on an issue.

I don't see how this makes Iron Man the leader...

#44 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordhuck said:

I don't see how this makes Iron Man the leader...

I agree, it does not make him a leader.

#45 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Tony's money that makes him the boss right?

#46 Edited by Cutter (844 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap...of course....

#47 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Give Marvel back the movie rights to wolverine and he'll out stage them all and become the Avengers leader. The only reason Marvel ain't riding Wolvie's... Ummm.. 'Adamantium' is because they can't profit in his movies. Nyehehehehehe!

They do profit from the movies...sorry but this logic is flawed.

#48 Posted by Experio (16630 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap...Period

If his not around, Thor would lead.

#49 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap

#50 Posted by MaccyD (4504 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing I don't get is why Stark is the tech guy when it's been stated before that Pym is more intelligent.

@lordhuck said:

That was the Illuminati, not Avengers? Plus I'd consider Black Panther or Reed Richard leader of that more so than Iron Man. They come up with the important decisions before the others.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.