The New Mighty Avengers

#1 Posted by swrightsr (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you Marvel for this much needed title! Being a black man I found it sad that there is hardly a black or latino representation in Marvel. I mean they have them but they are barely show cased except for a few. Like Storm, Cage, and Black Panther. I love comics but found myself decreasing the amount of titles I read because of the lack of main stream black characters. And not just the same stereotypical ones. I hope this book will have a good storyline one that will keep comic fans from all backgrounds interested.

#2 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you Marvel for this much needed title! Being a black man I found it sad that there is hardly a black or latino representation in Marvel. I mean they have them but they are barely show cased except for a few. Like Storm, Cage, and Black Panther. I love comics but found myself decreasing the amount of titles I read because of the lack of main stream black characters. And not just the same stereotypical ones. I hope this book will have a good storyline one that will keep comic fans from all backgrounds interested.

I can't help but feel like that's exactly why Marvel put this book together, so that's cool. I'm mostly just excited to see an Avengers team with Photon, Falcon, She-Hulk, Spider-man (all of whom I consider favorites), and especially Blue Marvel (who I don't know that much about, but have heard enough to be interested in).

It does interest me to see characters like Falcon and especially Luke Cage together on the same team, as too often it feels like these characters are just on teams as the black guy (even when writers seem to be trying to avoid it), and that sort of bugged me.

#3 Posted by swrightsr (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't help but feel like that's exactly why Marvel put this book together, so that's cool. I'm mostly just excited to see an Avengers team with Photon, Falcon, She-Hulk, Spider-man (all of whom I consider favorites), and especially Blue Marvel (who I don't know that much about, but have heard enough to be interested in).

It does interest me to see characters like Falcon and especially Luke Cage together on the same team, as too often it feels like these characters are just on teams as the black guy (even when writers seem to be trying to avoid it), and that sort of bugged me.

I too don't know much about Blue Marvel but I believe he is an Omega level character which I like because I don't know if they had any black characters like that. I just hope this book is good and if not I hope Marvel will try another creative team before cancelling it. I got my fingers crossed (I was hurt to see the Black Panther series get cancelled again).

#4 Edited by Oscars94 (2582 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care what skin colour characters have (there's people with blue,red and green skin!) etc. However this team looks amazing. It has loads of awesome characters. AND THAT'S SERIOUS BUSINESS!

#5 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I would get it if Spider-Oc was not in it.

#6 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

@swrightsr said:

I too don't know much about Blue Marvel but I believe he is an Omega level character which I like because I don't know if they had any black characters like that. I just hope this book is good and if not I hope Marvel will try another creative team before cancelling it. I got my fingers crossed (I was hurt to see the Black Panther series get cancelled again).

Yeah, I guess solo books are generally a harder sell, but Black Panther really is one of the classics. At least he's the main, most central character in New Avengers right now, and that book's really quite good.

I have to admit, I was pretty apprehensive when I heard Greg Land was doing the art for Mighty Avengers. Not that I hate his stuff, I just find it a bit stiff and dull overall. But for this cast, I'm willing to take a chance on it.

#7 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm happy to see it, especially considering I called for something similar a while ago, and it's nice as a fan when creators think along the same lines you do (doesn't happen as much as I'd like of course).

#8 Edited by swrightsr (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I'm glad someone was listening. I have my fingers crossed that it will be good and not get cancelled.

#9 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@swrightsr said:

@fodigg: I'm glad someone was listening. I have my fingers crossed that it will be good and not get cancelled.

Oh I'm sure the post had nothing to do with it, but listening to many different fans who have been calling for something like this team for a while now in a multitude of different ways, all the way back to before Milestone launched? Oh yeah, I wondered how long they'd ignore that. There's just such an obvious place in the Marvel line-up for a book like this. I'll definitely be buying this and trying to get others to do the same. As you said, hopefully it lives up to the potential in quality.

#10 Posted by longbowhunter (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

Falcon is big time awesome. Brubaker really sold me in that character in Capt. America. This book has a great roster I just wish Greg Land wasn't handling art duties.

#11 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I hadn't heard of this but a book with Blue Marvel who like many who have posted I don't know much about and want to know more, and Photon who has long been a favorite of mine. This makes me really happy.

#12 Edited by Baberaham_Lincoln (944 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool title with AWESOME AS CHARACTERS!!!... but god dammit WHYYY OHH WHYYY Greg Land!!??!?! MARVEL! ohhhhhhh i teared on my laptop for a good 2 minutes...

#13 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool title with AWESOME AS CHARACTERS!!!... but god dammit WHYYY OHH WHYYY Greg Land!!??!?! MARVEL! ohhhhhhh i teared on my laptop for a good 2 minutes...

I share your frustration and admire your passion.

#14 Edited by JReed2008 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think they purposefully choose mostly POC for this book. Or were they just looking for lesser known characters and everyone happened to be black?

#15 Posted by saoakden (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested to see where they take the Mighty Avengers.

#16 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm looking forward to the mighty avengers book. i hope it has good storylines and the team line-up is interesting. i'm most interested in getting to know luke cage, photon, blue marvel, ronin, she-hulk.

#17 Posted by blkson (785 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think they purposefully choose mostly POC for this book. Or were they just looking for lesser known characters and everyone happened to be black?

It was purposely done.

@saoakden said:

I'm interested to see where they take the Mighty Avengers.

Me too. The line up is not really a cosmic team or magic based. Lots of physical characters and brawlers.

i'm looking forward to the mighty avengers book. i hope it has good storylines and the team line-up is interesting. i'm most interested in getting to know luke cage, photon, blue marvel, ronin, she-hulk.

I want to see what they do with Falcon. White Tiger and the new Powerman is there too. Obscure characters but they add youth to the team.

#18 Posted by photowill404 (105 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm really excited for this book mainly because it has Luke Cage and the Blue Marvel in it. both of these characters are awesome. and im just happy that Blue Marvel is finally getting some shine since he hasnt really been used since his mini series a few years back.

#19 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the Blue Marvel mini. It touched on racial relations a bit which can be a sensitive subject, but I really recommend that everyone give it a shot.

#20 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just glad that Blue Marvel is finally becoming an Avenger. He's a great character and deserves to stand as one of Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

#21 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the Blue Marvel mini. It touched on racial relations a bit which can be a sensitive subject, but I really recommend that everyone give it a shot.

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel? I just read that the other day. It wasn't as great as I'd heard (the art was especially disappointing), but it definitely was one that left me wanting to see where this character would go next.

I really liked that they gave him a distinct place in the MU's history, just before the beginning of the Marvel age. Like he should have been the first, the greatest of them all; it gives him a distinct perspective and makes the shame of his story that much more tragic. Really can't wait to see what they'll do with that.

#22 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly can't wait for this!! When is the first issue?

#23 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4715 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood said:

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel? I just read that the other day. It wasn't as great as I'd heard (the art was especially disappointing), but it definitely was one that left me wanting to see where this character would go next.

I really liked that they gave him a distinct place in the MU's history, just before the beginning of the Marvel age. Like he should have been the first, the greatest of them all; it gives him a distinct perspective and makes the shame of his story that much more tragic. Really can't wait to see what they'll do with that.

Yes. The art was bad, but like you I wanted to see what they'd do next. I'm glad they are going to give him another chance. I was afraid he'd be forgotten about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.