Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7704 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

The Black Avengers: Would it work?

• 147 results
    spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By spider11211

Will this book have a token white guy?

Will he be the first person knocked out or killed on the team?

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: This pretty much sums it up. The problem is, creating an all-black team is a gimmick. What would be the point?

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcjr said:

@teerack: This pretty much sums it up. The problem is, creating an all-black team is a gimmick. What would be the point?

I agree why not just use the characters well rather than creating a gimmick book (like Superior Spider-Man). I would rather read a book with good characters and character development.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: This should be the point of ANY superhero team. The characters and stories matter. Specifically making them black is silly when BP, Storm, and Cage are good characters.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By spider11211

@kcjr said:

@poisonfleur: This should be the point of ANY superhero team. The characters and stories matter. Specifically making them black is silly when BP, Storm, and Cage are good characters.

photo original.gif

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

@kcjr said:

Yeah they are good characters, but they are cleared outnumbered by the "white" avengers. Storm isn't even an Avenger anymore. So why not spend some time putting other non-white characters in the spotlight. Personally, I think Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau deserve the attention.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing against black characters I just don't like characters being used just because they are black. I also do not want a white character book just because they are white.

It seems like a cheap gimmick. I hope the book is great so that it can expand and develop characters.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could if it sold. Making money is all it would take.

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't see why not. In fact...there can be white avengers, black avengers, gay avengers, or even racist avengers...I can care less. If the story would be good...then we can give it a try, but maybe not call it Black Avengers...or African Avengers...or even Black power...I was thinking maybe...uummm...The Avengers Squad? I don't know...something that doesn't include black.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, yeah separating all the different races of characters is a great idea. I'm totally up for the Asian Justice League and the eventual battle between the KKK Avengers and the Black Panther Avengers. Sounds sweet.
    Seriously how would that first issue play out?
    "Nick Fury, we need another Avengers team."
    "I know what we'll do! We'll round up all the black superheroes and put them in a gang... uh I mean team! That'll stick it to the white man!"

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I think it's kind of stupid when comics make choices with the sole reasoning of what race or religion a person is.

This man speaks the truth!

Cutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Cutter

@teerack said:

I think it's kind of stupid when comics make choices with the sole reasoning of what race or religion a person is.

This man speaks the truth!

Absolutely....

PurePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO Black Avengers? That sound racist.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By fodigg

I can't believe that I read this, responded multiple times to it, and then managed to completely forget about it a full five months before I posted my blog pitching an all-black Mighty Avengers and thought it was such a good idea. Glad this got bumped to remind me of what an idiot I am.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Crackdown

It's days like these, I wish The Crew comic had kept going. Josiah X, White Tiger (cole), Rhodey, ect

PurePower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

I can't believe that I read this, responded multiple times to it, and then managed to completely forget about it a full five months before I posted my blog pitching an all-black Mighty Avengers and thought it was such a good idea. Glad this got bumped to remind me of what an idiot I am.

It is a great Idea. Just the team's name doesn't go very well. But I do actually like the idea, though.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Mighty avengers are the Blackvengers. there's just one white guy on the team and he's got someone else in his body. personally I don't see the point, diversity for the sake of diversity seems forced, plus whats the point? and a team that's specifically all white would be considered racist. it makes more sense to have the teams form naturally without race being a concern so that characters will be genuinely mixed in. instead of forcing out the Blackvengers have the black Superheroes they want to use divded up among the 5 or 6 different avengers teams more evenly.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

the Mighty avengers are the Blackvengers. there's just one white guy on the team and he's got someone else in his body. personally I don't see the point, diversity for the sake of diversity seems forced, plus whats the point? and a team that's specifically all white would be considered racist. it makes more sense to have the teams form naturally without race being a concern so that characters will be genuinely mixed in. instead of forcing out the Blackvengers have the black Superheroes they want to use divded up among the 5 or 6 different avengers teams more evenly.

have you read Mighty Avengers? because it is a good Avengers book.

I kind of see your point that if the point of the book is to be the Black, or not-white Avengers, that does seem kind of dumb. But why can't the point be that that shouldn't have to be the point to have all of these characters on the same team?

I mean, if you don't look at the other Avengers and think that the point is that they're all white, why do it with this team?

Granted, this book has brought up some issues dealing with racial identity, but if that's a thing worth writing into a superhero comic (and I don't see why it wouldn't be) it seems like this is a good group to do that with, and it's something you can't really do to the same extent with other Avengers comics/teams simply because they are mostly made up of white characters.

It's not like this team formed because they were all poc characters, it's just that they mostly are; it's not as if marvel or the Avengers are segregating the characters, this just happens to be this team. And if they can tell stories with these Avengers that they can't tell with other characters or line-ups, isn't it that good?

Avatar image for xtremewolverine
    XtremeWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By XtremeWolverine

@youmessinwithme said:

have you read Mighty Avengers? because it is a good Avengers book.

I kind of see your point that if the point of the book is to be the Black, or not-white Avengers, that does seem kind of dumb. But why can't the point be that that shouldn't have to be the point to have all of these characters on the same team?

I mean, if you don't look at the other Avengers and think that the point is that they're all white, why do it with this team?

Granted, this book has brought up some issues dealing with racial identity, but if that's a thing worth writing into a superhero comic (and I don't see why it wouldn't be) it seems like this is a good group to do that with, and it's something you can't really do to the same extent with other Avengers comics/teams simply because they are mostly made up of white characters.

It's not like this team formed because they were all poc characters, it's just that they mostly are; it's not as if marvel or the Avengers are segregating the characters, this just happens to be this team. And if they can tell stories with these Avengers that they can't tell with other characters or line-ups, isn't it that good?

Actually Mighty Avengers is sort of a multiracial Avengers line-up Ava Ayala is of Puerto-Rican decent and Power Man (Victor Alvarez) is of Afro-Dominican decent. I'm not really feeling Black Avengers because more segregation of Latinos, Asians and Middle Eastern which will not be very popular. But I will like if it was more multiracial
    Latino characters like: Nova (Sam Alexander), Spider-Girl (Anya Corazon), Spider-Man 2099, Tempest, Sunspot, Firebird, Living Lightning, White Tiger (Ava Ayala), Power Man (Victor Alvarez)
    Asian characters: Shang-Chi, Sunfire, Thunderbird (Shaara), Jubilee, Colleen Wing
    Middle Eastern characters: Dust, Sabra, New Ms. Marvel, M (Monet St. Croix)
    Africa American characters: Luke Cage, Black Panther, Spectrum, Cloak, Blade, Falcon, Blue Marvel, Deathlok, Misty Knight, Storm, War Machine, Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

So I would really prefer an Avengers group w/ many races but it would be balanced like 4 Latinos, 4 African Americans, 4 Middle Easterners, 4 Asians, and 4 Whites something like that.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually Mighty Avengers is sort of a multiracial Avengers line-up Ava Ayala is of Puerto-Rican decent and Power Man (Victor Alvarez) is of Afro-Dominican decent. I'm not really feeling Black Avengers because more segregation of Latinos, Asians and Middle Eastern which will not be very popular. But I will like if it was more multiracial..

..So I would really prefer an Avengers group w/ many races but it would be balanced like 4 Latinos, 4 African Americans, 4 Middle Easterners, 4 Asians, and 4 Whites something like that.

are you being serious? because that sounds pretty contrived to me..

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol this is hilarious.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#124  Edited By Gizmorino

It would be cool but the name needs changing.........................and on the other end it could damage the characters status..............But i would like to see something like this

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about you just call them the Avengers. If the movie team was called the White Avengers people would've been outraged.

SDCBJR3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By SDCBJR3

We need segregation in comic books now?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Mighty Avengers is doing this the right way IMO. I'm hoping Spider-man comes back though.

agreed. (on both counts).

@sdcbjr3 said:

We need segregation in comic books now?

no, we don't need that anywhere, but that's not what Mighty Avengers is doing.

Firstly, there are still poc characters in virtually every other team book, Black Panther's still the leader of the Illuminati, Storm's still the leader of the X-men, and there's at least 4 or 5 members of Captain America's Avengers who are Black or poc, so it's not like they're segregating the characters at all.

Secondly, not all of the members of Luke Cage's Mighty Avengers are Black or even poc, they're just the characters who he's asked to join based mostly on (like all incarnations of the Avengers) the serendipity of their first mission and the characters he's friends with.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

How about you just call them the Avengers. If the movie team was called the White Avengers people would've been outraged.

That's why there should be a Black Avengers team, the regular one is all Caucasian by default. Think about that for a moment. Out of all the Avengers of color, not one of them was deemed eligible for membership when it came time to make a movie. Not one. They'd rather make Nick Fury African-American, than put the Black Panther on the team, but he was a member five years before Black Widow.

Did anyone watch the Grammys this year? The National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences would have you believe, that Macklemore is a better rapper than Kendrick Lamar. That's simply not true. They made the decision out of ignorance. That's why we have the Soul Train Awards, the Source Awards and the BET Hip-Hop Awards to rectify the situation. A Black Avengers team would be no different. They'd provide leadership to the community, as well as tackling problems that get lost within the larger framework of the Avengers.

No Caption Provided

The above is a picture of the Congressional Black Caucus. Founded in 1969, the Congressional Black Caucus is an organization representing the Black members of the United States Congress. Membership is exclusive to African-Americans.

The caucus describes its goals as "positively influencing the course of events pertinent to African-Americans and others of similar experience and situation", and "achieving greater equity for persons of African descent in the design and content of domestic and international programs and services."

The same reasons members of Congress would form a group within a larger group, are the very same reasons why Black Avengers would form a group within the larger group of Avengers. I'd imagine they'd have similar goals to the Congressional Black Caucus, along with providing positive inspiration to young people of color.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Hank Pym and the Wasp were original members. They got replaced by Black Widow and Hawkeye. I'd love for the Black Panther to be in it. I think he can carry a solo movie before he can join the team.

heavyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have always thought this was a good idea for a comic book team. The Marvel Universe is ripe with African-American characters that can make this team well-balanced and worth reading. I would call the book: Avengers Noir and the way I envisioned it, there would be a different team make-up :

• Black Panther
    • Josiah X
    • Iron Patriot (Jim Rhodes)
    • Rage
    • Photon (Monica Rambeau)
    • Falcon
    • 3-D Man
    • BULK (Black Hulk)
    • Goliath (Bill Everett)
    • Blue Marvel (Adam Brashear)
    • Blade
    • Dr. Voodoo
    • Cloak (wth No Dagger)
    • Storm
    • Luke Cage
    • Power Man II
    • Nightwatch
    • Cardiac
    • Night Thrasher
    • White Tiger
    Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@royale_with_cheese:

First of, the LGBT movement within the comic book industry is a marketing ploy aimed at appealing to mainstream media. I having nothing against the gays. Secondly, what possible reason could make this band of black superheroes want to form a team? To fight a super powered KKK member? Whoever created that image didn't even give it much thought; Photon is in the team, but Sam Wilson (The Falcon) ins't?

I'm putting a ten foot pole between me and even possibly addressing the gay part of your post (way too many people are getting their feelings unnecessarily hurt the second that topic comes up). But to address the underlined point, there's two possible (easy) options to use this team:

1. In a "Fear Itself" type of storyline where the initial big bad is a Nazi. That could work. I'd read that. Or..
    2. In a DC/Marvel crossover event where they team up with the JSA to fight the The Fourth Reich. I'd DEFINATELY pay to see that!!
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@royale_with_cheese:

First of, the LGBT movement within the comic book industry is a marketing ploy aimed at appealing to mainstream media. I having nothing against the gays. Secondly, what possible reason could make this band of black superheroes want to form a team? To fight a super powered KKK member? Whoever created that image didn't even give it much thought; Photon is in the team, but Sam Wilson (The Falcon) ins't?

I'm putting a ten foot pole between me and even possibly addressing the gay part of your post (way too many people are getting their feelings unnecessarily hurt the second that topic comes up). But to address the underlined point, there's two possible (easy) options to use this team:

1. In a "Fear Itself" type of storyline where the initial big bad is a Nazi. That could work. I'd read that. Or..
    2. In a DC/Marvel crossover event where they team up with the JSA to fight the The Fourth Reich. I'd DEFINATELY pay to see that!!

it doesn't have to be about them all being black. Black people do things together that aren't about being black, just like anyone.

They're the Avengers, why do they need any more reason than that?

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@oldnightcrawler:

it doesn't have to be about them all being black. Black people do things together that aren't about being black, just like anyone.

They're the Avengers, why do they need any more reason than that?

Oh, I don't disagree with this at all. As a Black man, I live precisely as your post mentions, that is to say that I'm not walking around with my fist in the air screaming "Black Power" 24 hours a day (for example). There's a lot more to life than just my skin color, believe me. And to be fair, I did say that the two options I stated in my post were the "(easy) options to use this team".There would certainly be other opportunities to utilize this team, and the threats of both terrestrial as well as extra-terrestrial villains (not to mention the cosmic and/or supernatural ones) are multitude within the 616 Marvel Universe.

Not to mention that potential crossover event I spoke of earlier...

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@heraldofganthet: and I wasn't trying to say those story ideas couldn't be good, but I guess I didn't catch what you meant by "(easy)", if you see what I mean.

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

and I wasn't trying to say those story ideas couldn't be good, but I guess I didn't catch what you meant by "(easy)", if you see what I mean.

I gotcha. It's just that I REALLY, REALLY loathe the Fourth Reich. On principle. They've got a scary mix of raw power and clever offensive/defensive options and they deserve a lot of credit for that. But I just gotta hate 'em. Again, on principle. It would be cool to see this incarnation of the Avengers team up with the JSA to take these guys down IMO.

You know, on top of whoever else they end up fighting that is...

Cool avatar pic, by the way!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By oldnightcrawler
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By HeraldofGanthet
    PiofNEPTUNE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By PiofNEPTUNE

@scorpio_cassadine: ...and I would have too agree with your assessment of the 2014 Grammy Awards...even Macklemore himself spoke too his friend Kendrick Lamar on (twitter) about the real reasoning behind this, and he knew that Kendrick was more deserving for the Grammy. (:) Oh Well! So What Else Is New? :()

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danny's Request to join gets revoked and files for a lawsuit.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd get overpowered in a matter of days.

Depends who their going up against. I doubt they'd go against things like Galactus or Kang.

OkRaider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a premise for such a team, what if they're all just friends?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not with that line up but it could work

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno- strikes me as a bad idea to have a group of superheroes whose main thing in common is their skin colour/ethnicity(I am aware of the fact that the Fantastic Four is all white and the X-Men are a mutants only club but this "separatist" vibe CAN be carried too far- how would we react to an group that all called itself the WHITE Avengers which is what they were until Captain America integrated the team back in the 2960s by inviting the Black Panther to join)???

Terry

OkRaider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By OkRaider88

@paracelsus: I think you're right, in that a group called the "White Avengers" or the "Black" or "Latin" or "Asian" Avengers would be a step in the wrong direction. But we can accept that any group of all-white superhero teams of the past got together in an organic manner - "There came a day...". So I think it could be done with a cast that happens to be Black characters. That's why I said, maybe they're just friends (which I know is not possible with the cast of characters the OP used). But imagine something like the Dakota-verse (Milestone Media comics), where the heroes come from a city with a majority African-American population, so a team from a city like that will likely be all, or mostly Black. Or if they came from a city like Miami, FL or San Antonio, TX - THAT team would very likely be all Latino.

Son_of_simba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would look racist if they made a team called 'black avengers' its not like black characters and white characters have to be separated like a different species what next they only fight black super villains like tombstone and manape and only take orders from nick fury jr not nick fury

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a badass line-up.

mossyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Was wondering if you happen to know who the artist of this drawing is.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anything new doesn't work for comicbook fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.