The Black Avengers: Would it work?

• 145 results
#51 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13591 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe: Since when does nobody complain? And to be fair most all white comic book teams have some other purpose than simply being an all white hero team.

#52 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't name it Black Avengers and we're good.

#53 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34261 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: Whos the guy between Panthers legs?
#54 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

I think it's kind of stupid when comics make choices with the sole reasoning of what race or religion a person is.

High five.

#55 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@Gambler: Whos the guy between Panthers legs?

3D Man

#56 Posted by Vance Astro (91351 posts) - - Show Bio

They can't think of any reason for black characters to assemble other than it's a chance to try and make them more popular together. People took issue (me being one of them) with Cyborg being a founding member of the New League, so I can only imagine what would happen if they made a "Black Avengers" team.

#57 Posted by ExtraLarge (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not have a group consisting of a muslim, an asian girl, an elderly mexican and a transexual and call it Minori-Team?

#58 Posted by marvelfanboy (509 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#59 Edited by tg1982 (2717 posts) - - Show Bio

@ExtraLarge said:

Why not have a group consisting of a muslim, an asian girl, an elderly mexican and a transexual and call it Minori-Team?

That almost sounds like a cartoon that was on adult swim.

And also, the only problem I would have with it is, as one poster alluded to, the "blaxploitation" aspect of it. If a writer could do it good and not make it seem like this then it could be interesting. And I would get rid of Cloak and add War Machine and Falcon, possibly put Storm as the leader. But thats just my opinion, tho.

#60 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

In today's comics market it would have a very slim chance of lasting very long, at this point nothing outside of established franchises with premier characters are safe. I also agree with the above posters that any character or team whose entire dynamic boils down to them all being the same race is lame. It's 2012 and I think for the most part we as a whole are past this kind of silliness. If the characters and plots are good who really care if they are straight, gay, white, black, or otherwise?

#61 Posted by TheRedRobin (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the only way this would work would be if it was during the days of segregation so they formed their own team.

#62 Posted by poisonfleur (3103 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to sound racist or anything. But I love all these heroes and would LOVE to read 'Black Avengers'

#63 Edited by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

Not to sound racist or anything. But I love all these heroes and would LOVE to read 'Black Avengers'

Nothing racist about it. If you really like the characters does it matter.

#64 Posted by poisonfleur (3103 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime` said:

@poisonfleur said:

I guess you are right! So true. Most of them are actually pretty quality characters.

#65 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur said:

@Nova`Prime` said:

@poisonfleur said:

I guess you are right! So true. Most of them are actually pretty quality characters.

Of course I am, but its nice to see other people realize it as well :)

#66 Posted by windcaster (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I would add Doctor Voodoo,War Machine and maybe Bishop. But I must confess I thought about before too. I kinda what to see this happen, but then two things came to mind. What kind of missions would the Black Avengers be sent on and why would they specifically be called to handle it? I say that jokingly and some serious at the same time. LOL

#67 Posted by windcaster (228 posts) - - Show Bio
@windcaster: I forgot about Lightbright and Frenzy.
#68 Posted by The Stegman (25455 posts) - - Show Bio

This might have worked in the 70s....but having a team exist just because they're all black seems a little too...much for me.

#69 Posted by Vance Astro (91351 posts) - - Show Bio

How about Marvel stops (for no reason) leaving black characters of their Avengers rosters?

#70 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see it working... it's too focused on one demographic with seemingly little-to-no story behind it. I mean sure racism is still prominent in the world, but it's not really something that is prominent in the world any more, so there's not really that much of a cause for them to fight... or to come together as a team, which would imply that such a team-up would just be another ploy by the writers, just to get money...

Plus, speaking personally, I wouldn't really have anything to relate to in the story, at least on face value anyway... so I doubt that it would appeal to me as a reader.

#71 Posted by Airstrike (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@Redberry: My only problem would be naming them Black Avengers. If you are going to do it be original and come up with their own team name don't steal another teams!

#72 Posted by Airstrike (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@Redberry: If they want to make a certain type of character then do it but it is insulting to take a character and change them to meet a certain agenda when those characters have been established for decades. I think it shows the weakness of writers today that they can't create the next Superman, X-men or Wonder Woman. Instead, they are taking characters with established histories and changing them to fit their or others agendas regardless of their history.

#73 Edited by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@Airstrike said:

@Redberry: If they want to make a certain type of character then do it but it is insulting to take a character and change them to meet a certain agenda when those characters have been established for decades. I think it shows the weakness of writers today that they can't create the next Superman, X-men or Wonder Woman. Instead, they are taking characters with established histories and changing them to fit their or others agendas regardless of their history.

What agenda? The gay agenda? The writer is straight and married, so he wouldn't be benefited from this so called agenda. In fact, it would drive away many male readers. He just thinks that Alan would be interesting as a gay character. I don't think he has any agenda behind it. None of the characters, gay or straight, will ever become the next Superman or Wonder Woman because the comic reading population is only a fraction of what they once were. The numbers of people knowing about the characters are so little that they won't make as big an impact on mainstream society as they once were. James doesn't necessarily change it because gay people need a popular gay superhero; he was just thinking that it would be interesting to have a gay character. The reboot changed everything like Beastboy's skin color, races of certain characters, as well as their history (even iconic one like Wonder Woman's origin was changed). For some reasons, people only rile up about the change in a character's sexuality. It's kinda disappointed me but not unexpected.

#74 Edited by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to put one token white guy on the team.

#75 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

An all Black team like a all LGBT team would pander to such a small cross-section of readers that it wouldn't survive. It kinda promotes the whole separate but equal way of thinking.

#76 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

this would have been amazing during the 70s-60s

#77 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

No Cloak without Dagger. Otherwise I agree; what would pull them all together to make a team that was 'exclusively black'?

#78 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

@Redberry said:

Marketing or not, gay readers are now have someone they can relate to, so I think it's a good thing in my opinion.

As for black superheroes, it's not necessary, but if you don't question an all-white superheroes team (Which are everywhere) then why would you question an all-black superheroes team? The writers could choose to do it because it could provide an interesting spin on the usual all-white team.

A character doesn't have to have a certain sexual orientation for the reader to be able to identify with him/her (this goes for both gay and straight readers). Especially those that have preexisting histories (i.e. Alan Scott). There are more facets to life that resonate with the reader, than simply being gay or straight.

Why do I question the validity of an all black superhero team? Simple; all the heroes on this aforementioned black super hero team have history of their own, that do not tie with each other (unless Marvel wants to write them in, in the same manner they did to the Sentry). It's not a matter of race, rather, whether or not this would make any sense. Why would Marvel want to publish a racially exclusive team, unless the problem is racially exclusive?

I hate to be that guy, but why do they need to have a racially exclusive problem? You have a point about them not having history, but then again the same could be said of the Avengers when they were first brought together as a team. The whole point of the Avengers is the concept that threats arise that no single hero could stop and as such heroes had to band together. Why would this suddenly change if all the members of an Avengers team was black?

Heck why would you name them the Black Avengers in the first place? Don't get me wrong I understand where you're coming from, but let's be honest if these guys were just suddenly the "New Secret Avengers" would they randomly have to have race come up just because all the members are black?

#79 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7306 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, this would totally work. With Prodigy and, um, Idie as supporting cast members.

#80 Posted by Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye (10166 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr_Ingenuity said:

Super powered KKK

Lol ...

#81 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio
#82 Posted by jhazzroucher (16367 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

Love it. : )

#83 Posted by Nightcrawler23 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage is dying, so the roster would be short of one of the defining black avengers.

#84 Posted by Gibbet (617 posts) - - Show Bio

The only hero Jamaica has uses super speed, give em speed force

@jhazzroucher said:

@Xanni15 said:

Love it. : )

#85 Posted by Sabboth (76 posts) - - Show Bio

All black superhero team sure, but they definitely shouldn't be called "Black Avengers"

#86 Posted by Joygirl (20120 posts) - - Show Bio

"It will be a great day of equality the day that nobody pronounces it a great day of equality."

#87 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

The negro avengers cannot lead a team without a white man like Nick Fury.lol

#88 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sabboth said:

All black superhero team sure, but they definitely shouldn't be called "Black Avengers"

Agreed. Of course it could work, they've got the characters to do it. But the story would have to be about something other than "all these characters are black." It'd have to be happenstance. But an Avengers team with any of the following characters?

• War Machine
  • Storm
  • Black Panther
  • Luke Cage
  • Falcon
  • 3-D Man
  • Goliath
  • etc

Yeah I'd read that.

#89 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

How hilarious and open minded of you. Let's keep comments like this out of the forum, regardless of whether they may or may not be a joke.

#90 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@x_29 said:

How hilarious and open minded of you. Let's keep comments like this out of the forum, regardless of whether they may or may not be a joke.

yes mom

#91 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29: Real nice.

#92 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@x_29: Real nice.

Not really, it was lazy and pathetic.

#93 Posted by Dru_zod (213 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow okay

Isn't it kind of racist to separate the team into Avengers And Black Avengers

#94 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dru_zod said:

Wow okay

Isn't it kind of racist to separate the team into Avengers And Black Avengers

Depends on context and what you're trying to accomplish. At best, you're showing it can be done and be awesome. At worst, you're creating a blaxsploitation book.

#95 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be awesome !!!!

#96 Posted by desmond006 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

I would read it, with a name change.

#97 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

A.W.A.. Avengers With Attitudes..

#98 Posted by knighthood (1722 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess there was some demand before Marvel decided to do Mighty.

#99 Posted by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

photo sw50sw8sw578.gif

#100 Posted by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Avengers

• Monica Rambeau
  • Blue Marvel
  • Misty Knight
  • Black Panther
  • Goliath
  • War Machine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.