The Avengers New Recruits,Pls Read

#1 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1059 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Silver Surfer,Reed Richards,Invisible Woman ever join The Avenegrs? If they did Pls tell me how they joined and tell me what issues and who else joined The Avengers during that passed 53 years.Oh and if the avengers are in trouble with some other threat can Thor call upon Odin his father?

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1059 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: Apparently Reed and Sue joined in Avengers #300 in 1989, according to this list of everyone who's joined: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Avengers_members

Actually, Reed and Sue joined in #299, Steve recruited them when the team had split up after Doctor Druid and Princess Ravonna took over leading and tried to kill most the then members. Reed and Sue left the core team in 303 but were active members until 310 and during the Atlantis Attacks crossover. Then they quit altogether to properly rejoin the Fantastic Four (they'd left to raise Franklin and were replaced with Crystal and the second Ms. Marvel).

Silver Surfer never joined, closest he got was #266 when he helped the Avengers after Secret Wars II.

#5 Posted by SoA (4835 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: very interesting . im not liking the recent idea of everyone becoming an avenger (too justice league for me ) but i had no idea that reed and sue were avengers at one point !

#6 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

I do really wish people would stop referring to that horrible Wikipedia list... it's based on Marvel's own incompetent research. Most the join dates are legitimately very wrong (there's some that are off by years!).

#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: Is there a better list somewhere?

#8 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: Cool, thanks. Shame it's not chronological, but if the issue numbers are right, that's what's most important. :)

#10 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Eh, that's the way the ComicVine cookie crumbles unfortunately.

That incompetent waste of space Tom Brevoort came up with the current "definitive" list of Avengers members in 1998, and he was too busy being incompetent as he always is, and just mostly referred to sequences where the Avengers announced a new line-up to the public. The problem being of course that many many members joined independent from a major team roster shake-up, for example he claims Spider-Man joined in #329 - when his membership was announced to the public - when he joined 13 issues earlier in #316.

Likewise the bogus "Captain Marvel received post-humous membership" that he's claimed is more of his laziness, considering Captain Marvel was referred to as a former member in Avengers 173 (also Whizzer who is cited as joining in THIS issue).

Plus, his research didn't go beyond Avengers titles. There's a good 10 or so characters who first joined in the pages of other books, who instead are just credited with their first appearance in the main Avengers books. Or in one case, their first appearance with their head in the little corner box.

#11 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: Wow, I didn't realise the list was so innacurate.

I did wonder about Mar-Vells membership. I had heard he was only an honourary member, so I was confused when he was referred to as an old Avenger.

I'm not sure if his joining issue is correct though. In Avengers #89 there doesn't seem to be any mention of him actually joining them, as he's pretty much on the run from them.

#12 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Presumably he joins off-panel - with the Avengers making him their responsibility during those experiments. It's Avengers #92 where it makes it a bit more apparent with him and Rick now staying at the Mansion and stuff. I think the first time he's referred to as an Avenger is in his own book during the Thanos War thing. He's referred to as, again, a former member. And again in Final Threat, a bunch of Avengers show up to fight Thanos (Marvel among them) and someone notes that it's an odd mix of "past and present" members.

#13 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the idea of Reed and Sue being in Avengers stories, even if it's just as supporting cast members. They just make it seem like that much more of a big deal.

#14 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6289 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: Yeah probably. I'll look out for the mention in Thanos War when I get the Essential Captain Marvel books, which will probably be soon.

#15 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Eh, that's the way the ComicVine cookie crumbles unfortunately.

That incompetent waste of space Tom Brevoort came up with the current "definitive" list of Avengers members in 1998, and he was too busy being incompetent as he always is, and just mostly referred to sequences where the Avengers announced a new line-up to the public. The problem being of course that many many members joined independent from a major team roster shake-up, for example he claims Spider-Man joined in #329 - when his membership was announced to the public - when he joined 13 issues earlier in #316.

Likewise the bogus "Captain Marvel received post-humous membership" that he's claimed is more of his laziness, considering Captain Marvel was referred to as a former member in Avengers 173 (also Whizzer who is cited as joining in THIS issue).

Plus, his research didn't go beyond Avengers titles. There's a good 10 or so characters who first joined in the pages of other books, who instead are just credited with their first appearance in the main Avengers books. Or in one case, their first appearance with their head in the little corner box.

Why does Thor have on a space Helmet seriously?

#16 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do any of them. Surely Sersi could just use her powers to make them able to survive in space...

#17 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35: this whole scene is a load of smegg in and of itself anyway.

Thor asked Spiderman to join the Avengers way back in Avengers (vol.1) #16, making him the first character after Cap' who was offered membership. He declined. Why he's acting like it's such a big deal 25 years later is anyone's guess, but it wasn't until this period that writers started acting like being invited into the Avengers was a big deal.

#18 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35: this whole scene is a load of smegg in and of itself anyway.

Thor asked Spiderman to join the Avengers way back in Avengers (vol.1) #16, making him the first character after Cap' who was offered membership. He declined. Why he's acting like it's such a big deal 25 years later is anyone's guess, but it wasn't until this period that writers started acting like being invited into the Avengers was a big deal.

No they don't. They ask Namor. And that's after Hawkeye joined. And Wonder Man was the first to join after Cap in #9. Spider-Man first gets asked in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3.

#19 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35: smegg, you're right. I was dead wrong about it being #16.

but are you sure it was Amazing Spiderman Annual #3? I only ask because I feel certain that I read an issue of the Avengers from the 60's where Cap', Ironman, Thor, Antman, and Wasp (hence thinking it was so early on) decide to look for some new members, and proceed to do so over the course of the issue.

Thor asks Spiderman first, in a scene that was only a page long, so it seems unlikely I'm thinking of an issue of Spiderman that I don't think I've ever read. Any idea which issue I'm getting confused with?

#20 Edited by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: That's Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3.

Though the same thing happened in Avengers #221.

#21 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35: never mind, I figured it out. And, man, was I wayyyy off base.

I was thinking of Avengers 221, from 1982 (so I was almost twenty years wrong!)

It seems everything else I remembered about this issue was accurate, except for the two major things: where it fit in chronologically, and the fact that Spiderman actually references being asked before (in, you were right, Amazing Spiderman Annual #3).

Man, do I feel like a putz.

But I do maintain that it's poor writing when Spiderman is wowed by being asked for the, what? third time? (not to mention essentially being on the team in the Secret Wars) ..it just seems forced for the sake of making Avengers membership seem like a more elite thing than it ever really was.

#22 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@x35: oh, man. Now I feel bad that you went to all that trouble!

thanks for being so thorough, though! I do appreciate it.

#23 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks for being so thorough

someone's gotta be because the guy marvel pay to do it sure isn't.

#24 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont think so

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.