Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver on the silver screen

#1 Posted by DDfan86 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello. New to comic vine.

I have been following reports of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being in the Avengers 2, and reports that Quicksilver is going to be in Days of Future Past (without the Scarlet Witch? WTF?). So there are a lot of claims going around that in avengers they can't mention Mutants (which i think is bullzhit; just don't capitalize the word in the script, its the perfect loophole), the Brotherhood of Mutants, the X-Men, etc. Recent rumors even suggest that Disney can't even use the code-names Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Either way the entire situation continuously reminds me of Roger Rabbit; the joint Disney-Warner Bros. character. Studious have come together before to create movies before; why can't it happen now? I see a situation where Fox can essentially do an origins story for Disney concerning QS and SW. I think Disney and Fox would be STUPID to NOT start combining the universes and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are the perfect way to start. If they can jointly hire actors, who will play the characters in both series, then NEITHER studio looses out on the character. Instead of Disney putting out the QS SW 'solo' adventures like they're doing with Iron Man, Cap and Thor, Fox would be doing it for them. The Flipside? Fox would get to use Nick Fury and SHIELD (who intrudes upon the X-men's lives about as often as he does the Avengers); which Fox could use as a wonderful bridge between their X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises (a Marvel universe with JUST the X-Men and the F4? Ugh!).

For Disney I see even more possibilities; Storm in the Black Panther Movie (she is apart of his origins a bit; they both lost their virginity to each other), a Defenders Movie, a Guardians of the Galaxy featuring Silver Surfer; the possibilities become endless.

I realize I am ranting, but I have been simmering on these thoughts for a while and need some feedback. Is this all wishful thinking? Is all this hooplah in the media a publicity stunt to pull something similar to what I've described? Is the Marve Cinematic Universe about to fall apart?

#2 Edited by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome!

From what I've read online, it seems that Sony wants to play nice with Disney and let Spider-Man cameo in the Marvel flicks and vice versa. Fox, on the other hand, apparently pretty much said thanks, but no thanks we're good on our own.

I can't shake the feeling like Quicksilver is in DoFP only because Whedon let it out that QS and SW are going to be in Avengers II. Bryan Singer had been all about telling people about who is in his movie and tweeting about what characters are going to be in it a few months ago. Then Whedon lets it slip that the Pietro and Wanda are going to be in his movie, and a few weeks later they announce that they have casted a guy for Quicksilver in (supposedly) a small bit part in DoFP. It just makes me think that they want to stick him in the movie so they can lay claim on the fact that their Quicksilver gots on film first.

If it is, in fact, a bit part, that feels like you're wasting Quicksilver on a throw away role that they could plug in any speedster into. I think it would actually benefit Fox to use Northstar instead of Quicksilver cause then they can lay claim to having the first openly gay character in cinematic universe and use him later on.

#3 Posted by lilben42 (2531 posts) - - Show Bio

That's stupid! Why is Scarlett Witch going to be in Avengers she should be in Xmen. Plus there are a lot more characters to put in.

#4 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: I'm wondering why Quicksliver's there. We shall wait and see.

#5 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with all this. It does seem odd that Quicksilver was suddenly announced into the X-Men movie after Joss Whedon just announced that he was using Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in his movie. I wonder how they will solve this problem?

#6 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5810 posts) - - Show Bio

I could care less for either character and I still don't know why there's a chance they could be in the movie. With all these restrictions it seems almost not worth it to have these characters in the movies. I would've preferred black panther, vision and ms marvel as new recruits. The only thing that would make me ok with scarlet witch and quicksilver is if they are inhumans and they introduce Black Bolt.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.