REVIEW: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Volume 3 & 4 DVD

Posted by G-Man (35019 posts) - - Show Bio

When Marvel and Disney first announced the Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes animated series, it sounded like we were in for a treat. With Chris Yost on board and a wide cast of characters, this is what comic fans would want. The only real complaint I heard was the show was on the Disney XD channel, one that not everyone gets. With this week's release of Volume 3 and 4, you are now able to watch the complete first season.

Yes this means the season has been split over four DVD releases but you do get more than just a few episodes on each disc. Volume 3 had episodes 14 through 19 (with a running time of 132 minutes) and Volume 4 has episodes 20 through 26 (with a running time of 148 minutes). If there was any doubt whether or not this adaptation would be successful, I think these final episodes should put those concerns to rest.

== TEASER ==

The early episodes in the series sometimes felt a little slow but that's only because I'm familiar with the characters. With these volumes, the characters have been established and the action is intense. There is a good mix in the story lines and there will be times you'll be surprised and what the show's writers are beginning to take on. We know there are decades of continuity with the team but the show does a great job in covering the basics and classic elements while hinting at some major current plots. This show can be very ambitious at times.

That being said, I can't say I absolutely loved every single episode. My main problem are the episodes focused on Thor and Asgard. I do like Thor but sometimes I'm ready to move on. I did love the Kang the Conqueror episodes along with the Ultron ones. The great thing about the show is with so many characters on the team, you get a good mix on the focus. You won't really feel like anyone is getting lost in the background and it adds so much variety to the show.

The voice actors of the show do a big part in bringing the characters to life. You do get a sense that they don't always get along and are still getting used to acting as a team. Many of the actors have appeared on other shows. The talent includes Eric Loomis (Shin Chan) as Iron Man, Rick D. Wasserman (Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated!) as Thor, Fred Tatasciore (Kung Fu Panda 2) as Hulk, Brian Blossom (G.I. Joe: Renegades) as Captain America, Wally Wingert (Family Guy) as Ant Man, Colleen O'Shaugnessey (Cars 2, Toy Story 3) as Wasp and Alex Desert (Swingers, High Fidelity) as Nick Fury.

Besides the episodes, each volume has one piece in the special features section. Labeled as "The Avengers Unmasked," you basically get a commentary/hidden facts feature on two select episodes. For Volume 3 it's episdoe 14, "Masters of Evil" and for Volume 4 it's episode 21, "Hail, Hydra!" They're not spectacular in terms of special features but a nice reminder that those involved with the show know what they're working with. They know the history of the characters and that is the most important thing. And the episodes pretty much speak for themselves.

Each volume has a suggest retail price of $19.99 which means you'll find it cheaper online and certain retailers. With each running well over two hours and the episodes you get, it's a good price. Blu-ray would obviously have made this the perfect release but they are in widescreen and enhanced for 16x9 televisions. They do look good on an HD TV. Each volume has Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound as well so you can crank up the volume.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is off to a great start. I'm ready for some new episodes and love the fact that they've given hints towards Secret Invasion and Bucky as the Winter Soldier. I know we'd all love a complete box set with all the episodes but since they're all available on four volumes, it'd be hard to pass them by, especially if you have the first two volumes. There's been no word whatsoever about a complete box set so you could be waiting a while if you resist these. If you haven't seen the episodes because you don't get Disney XD, you really should run out and pick them up.

Staff
#1 Posted by SexualLobster (995 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Ironman sound like the pimple faced teenager guy from the Simpsons?

#2 Posted by G-Man (35019 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#3 Posted by JPJordan (16 posts) - - Show Bio

the entire first season is also available on netflix instant.

#4 Posted by The Impersonator (5505 posts) - - Show Bio

"If you haven't seen the episodes because you don't get Disney XD, you really should run out and pick them up."

AVENGER FANS ASSEMBLE!

#5 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I thought this show was pretty well done.

#6 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#7 Posted by Chaos Burn (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

highly recommend this show, best marvel cartoon since x-men evolution

#8 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I still rather have a full box set than four volumes, and where is the blu ray???

When does the second season start already? :(

#9 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

Awsome show.

#10 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I love being Canadian. We get it in two volumes of 13 episodes each and I think the complete series comes out on blu-ray in November.

#11 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

this show is awesome!! on the captain america first avenger dvd there's a little preview for season 2 and i saw black panther's costume that they've been hinting at. COOL!! and another Not-So-Green Goliath (wink look at your coloring creyons).

#12 Posted by daredeville (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome show. Really well done, and they go through a lot of important plot points and characters. I love that the team builds pretty quickly too, getting Cap and Hawkeye in there fairly early, and then Black Panther... who is so much fun to watch in action in the show. A friend who barely reads comics started watching them, and then went home and blew through the whole season in a couple days, and loved it.

Highly recommended.

Any news on when Season 2 is starting, G-Man or anyone else...? I've been looking everywhere for news on this.

#13 Edited by leokearon (1815 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredeville said:

Awesome show. Really well done, and they go through a lot of important plot points and characters. I love that the team builds pretty quickly too, getting Cap and Hawkeye in there fairly early, and then Black Panther... who is so much fun to watch in action in the show. A friend who barely reads comics started watching them, and then went home and blew through the whole season in a couple days, and loved it.

Highly recommended.

Any news on when Season 2 is starting, G-Man or anyone else...? I've been looking everywhere for news on this.

It's not know when it is coming out, rumours say it won't be out until next year to tie in with the Avengers movie, the same way the last couple of season 1 episodes where held back to tie in with the Thor movie.

We do know that season two will have Ms Marvel appearing (wearing her original costume not her classic costume), a team up with the Fantastic Four against Dr Doom, The vision, Rulk, Ronin the Accuser and Super Skrull will all be appearing as well

Found the season 2 trailer, looks like Surtur will be saying hi as well
#14 Posted by pikahyper (12267 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Marvel cartoon since X-Men in '92, the last seven episodes were incredible, I ended up watching them through Netflix instant watch and the streaming HD quality was excellent.

#15 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the hell out of this show and I'm chomping at the bit for season 2.

#17 Posted by daredeville (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@leokearon: Thanks, I have been searching for some kind of word on this. I did also see another making of that included another addition to the cast and an appearance by another team. (See below) I had thought I had heard that Season 2 had/was starting October 20th, but maybe that was just due to the first season starting around there.

Thanks for the response, I'll keep my ear to the ground.

As far as the second addition to the cast, I heard Vision was coming this season! I also saw fully colored character models of the Guardians of the Galaxy!! Included: Starlord, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Phyla-Vell, and Adam Warlock I believe!
#18 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

Now just give us the complete Season One set! Quickly, please!

#19 Posted by SeanNOLA (75 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this show, but why pay $80 to buy it on DVD when you can pay $8 and stream it off of Netflix? Is the commentary really worth the extra $72?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.