Review: Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes Vol. 1 & 2

Posted by G-Man (37640 posts) - - Show Bio
As you're most likely aware, the Avengers have their own animated series, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes airing on the Disney XD channel.
One of the few complaints I've heard is from those that don't get the Disney XD channel. That could make it a little difficult to watch the show. 

In a move that will please some and probably anger others, Disney has released the first two volumes of the show today on DVD. That means you can now watch the the first thirteen episodes whenever you want at home.

What do you get on these DVDs and how is the show? == TEASER ==

The show has been pretty ambitious so far. This is the type of superhero show I want. There is so much history with the characters and so far, we have seen so many different ones appear. Chris Yost is one of my favorite writers and with him as the Story Editor, you know we're in safe hands. 

Here's the list of episodes included:

Volume 1 

• Iron Man Is Born!
  • Thor The Mighty
  • Hulk Versus The World
  • Meet Captain America
  • The Man in the Ant Hill
  • Break Out, Part 1
  • Break Out, Part 2

Volume 2 

• Some Assembly Required
  • Living Legend
  • Everything is Wonderful
  • Panther's Quest
  • Gamma World, Part 1
  • Gamma World, Part 2

When you look at the titles, you can see that we do start from the beginning. The series does a great job in introducing all the characters and bringing them all together. You don't have to know every bit of detail in the characters origin in order to enjoy the show. For those that have been reading for years, you'll be impressed with the sheer volume of characters involved and the direction the series is set to go. It's great seeing the origins of Captain America and Thor while also seeing characters like Black Panther, Klaw and Doc Samson

What about the part that some won't like? Instead of a complete first season release, we are getting these separate volumes. That will always be a complaint but I don't think it's something to dwell on. This way, the releases are more affordable if someone can't invest in purchasing the entire season at once (then again, maybe giving us both options right away would solve this). There also aren't really any special features. Each volume does have a feature with Chris Yost and Supervising Porducer Joshua Fine. On the first volume they discuss the evolution of the characters and storylines and what we can look forward to in Season 2 (like Secret Invasion). The second volume focuses on villains and again teases the second season.

The series may not be perfect but there's no denying the ambition and fun the series has displayed so far. This is a great series to have as part of my home library. I love that they've created their own animation style and are embracing and owning it. They have loads of stories to adapt and it looks like the fun is just beginning. These DVDs are definitely worth checking out. Great for new viewers to learn who the characters are and fun times for fans of the comics. Volumes 1 and 2 are in stores today.
#1 Edited by Mucklefluga (2609 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY!

First!!!

#2 Posted by danhimself (22682 posts) - - Show Bio

no blu-ray??  uggghhh

#3 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" no blu-ray??  uggghhh "
I can imagine the bluray coming out alongside the complete season on DVD later on.
#4 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

I love love love love love this show, it's one of my favorite shows ever. Love it! 

It's really great, if you haven't seen it you need to. 
#5 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

I love love love love love this show, they use the original team with awesome villians and always perfect storylines from new and old, best Marvel show to date.

PS. when is it coming back on!? I can't watch re-runs forever, actually I can, ACTUALLY I get bored really reaaly fast.

#6 Posted by Mutant God (3081 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like volumes, I like the seasons better
#7 Posted by The Stegman (25488 posts) - - Show Bio

on a DVD Stance, i'm going to just wait for the whole season, i hate volumes! 

but from the show point, THIS SHOW IS FREAKIN AMAZING!! seriously, besides Spectacular Spider-Man, it's my favorite Marvel animated show ever (let's just hope it lasts longer than spidey did)
#8 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2187 posts) - - Show Bio

Why isn't this ever on blu-ray?

#9 Posted by Decept-O (7284 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this animated series is great, despite only seeing some brief clips.  Heck I'd say the DVDs would be worth buying, I really enjoyed the fact they made an effort to go into a lot of the history of the characters and stories.  The animation is also very nicely done, incredible work.  

#10 Posted by MrMazz (1322 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm digging the series just man when is it coming back on DisneyXD? I'll wait till the first season is released glad to see they are throwing the micro series in there now

#11 Posted by War Killer (20374 posts) - - Show Bio

Love this show.

#12 Posted by marvelunivers_deleteme (315 posts) - - Show Bio

when is season 2

#13 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

GREAAAAT !!!!!!!

#14 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I love this show, i hate partial release DVDs. If they were going to do only a partial why not just put the first season on two half season releases.

#15 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

yes this show is one of the best marvel produced animations to ever come out. I've got the entire season on the DVR and watch it regularly. The characters are extremely well handled for a group theme and it has the action and story arcs you want out of an Avengers adventure.

Between this and Young Justice I truly believe there is some hope for hero based animations in the future. I hope they continue with this kind of momentum.
#16 Edited by Grimoire (552 posts) - - Show Bio

Its up in the air about me buying these since my favorite character "The Hulk" was underused way too much for my liking. lol I know he's the most powerful one so they have to pull back his abilities like they did when they animate Superman but some times your eyes roll by reflex watching some of the episodes. lol

#17 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm intrigued for this myself. Hmmm...perhaps in the future I will buy it.

#18 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna wait, either they'll come out with a complete season or these will come down in price and be grouped together.

#19 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't find a release date...when are these released?
#20 Posted by isaac_clarke (5458 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering you can watch them all online, there shouldn't be any sort of hassle to see any of the episodes.
#21 Posted by G-Man (37640 posts) - - Show Bio
@They Killed Cap!: Last sentence. They both came out today.
#22 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the three episodes I've seen.

#23 Posted by HellionVulcan (3867 posts) - - Show Bio
@They Killed Cap! said:
" I can't find a release date...when are these released? "
April 26th is what i saw on some sites but i need an Australian release date hahaha .
#24 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

T@isaac_clarke said:

" Considering you can watch them all online, there shouldn't be any sort of hassle to see any of the episodes. "
That's how I went about it. Watched the whole series in about a day and a half. GREAT SHOW!!
#25 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

this show was actually pretty good, wouldnt have thought it would be this great, i love how they incorporate all the avenger villains and i mean everyone minus a guy like doc doom. i managed to watch 26 episodes of it, and now i have to wait another season for it 

#26 Posted by isaac_clarke (5458 posts) - - Show Bio
@JonesDeini said:
"T @isaac_clarke said:
" Considering you can watch them all online, there shouldn't be any sort of hassle to see any of the episodes. "
That's how I went about it. Watched the whole series in about a day and a half. GREAT SHOW!! "

I agree, outside a few nitpicks here and there(How the hell did Tony build himself another suit with inside displays/ computer / repulsors with an anvil and a hammer? That don make no sense even if the suit was cool).
#27 Posted by Dedpool (369 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to wait for the season to come out, but Spectacular Spiderman Season 2 never came out as a full season.
#28 Posted by sora_thekey (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody know if there's going to be a complete season release?

#29 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

So what is the deal, are these 13 episodes the first season, and we are waiting for season 2

or we are waiting for the conclusion to season 1?

These reruns are Killing me!!!!!!!!!!!
#30 Posted by dorsk188 (236 posts) - - Show Bio

Tick tick boom.  :)

#31 Posted by Silver Zeal (213 posts) - - Show Bio

All we r gonna say is dat BLACK PANTHER is easily d awesomest most impressive xcter of d series. Dey got his xcter perfectly but not @ d cost of any of d other major cast...those who never knew d Black Panther most certainly know who he is now.

Hopefully dey keep-up d good work on d show....2 bad BP will not b part of d Avengers movie, probably bcuz of d "rule of 3" 'Maestro' McDuffie(R.I.P) discovered in d comix industry about superhero teams.

#32 Posted by LB70145 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

No season 1 set because the new episodes that were released in Australia are not going to be released until June or July in the US.

#33 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7949 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't seem to be out in the UK which sucks.

#34 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the whole season

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.