Restructure the Avengers

Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello all! I am really enjoying what Hickman is doing with Avengers/New Avengers, and I'm happy in general with how the Avengers franchise is being handled right now. But, being me, no matter how much I enjoy a series I can't help but think about how I would do it if I was the one writing; so, I thought i would share with you how I would restructure the Avengers organization if I were in charge, and invite you to do the same. Here's how my structure works:

The Avengers organization has four branches. Each branch starts out with nine core members, with three reserves. The organization is based around the five founders(with Cap, not Hulk), and each ancillary team has a founder on it as an adviser. The four teams are as follows-

The Avengers: based out of Avengers Tower in NYC, I would have a more classic feel to their story. I think it's a time when the classic Avengers, the best of the best, the ones who have the experience in the field and who know what it takes to be one of Earth's Mightiest. The team consists of Captain America as the leader/chairman of the entire organization, Iron Man, Thor, Giant Man, Wasp, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Carol as Captain Marvel, and Vision, with reserves Black Widow, Hyperion, and Smasher. This team is the big gun of the organization, handling world and potentially universe-ending threats, and serving as galactic ambassadors on Earth's behalf for interstellar conflicts. Later storylines would see a resurrected Jean Grey join the team as Phoenix, Iron Man leave to join the Guardians of the Galaxy and be replaced by Phyla-Vell, who retakes the mantle of Quasar, and a heroic iteration of Kang, calling himself Kang the Liberator, join to help stop an attempted takeover by Kang the Conqueror

The New Avengers: based on the West Coast in the WCA Compound, this team would be literally for "new Avengers"- heroes who either have never been Avengers before but are ready to step up to the plate, or for those who have been inactive for a while to regain their footing. They would be responsible for defending the west coast, and for defending all of America when the main team is away. The team would be lead by Justice, with Wasp serving as the founding adviser, and also consist of Songbird, Human Torch, Iceman, Shadowcat, Wiccan, Chimera(Teddy's new alias- in Heinberg's original draft of Young Avengers, he was supposed to take up that mantle after issue 6, but never did, so I decided to resurrect the idea), and Kate as Hawkeye, with reserve members Firestar, Rage, and Sandman

Uncanny Avengers- I am definitely a fan of this concept. Based out of Avengers Mansion in NYC, this team brings together the best of the best Avengers and X-men in one unit. They deal with mutant-related issues, as well as human-mutant conflicts. The team is made up of X-Men Havok, Storm, Rogue, and Colossus, and Avengers Giant Man, Photon, Wonderman, and Quicksilver, plus Beast, representing both sides, with reserves Nightcrawler, She-Hulk, and Tigra. The team would be lead by either Havok or Beast. Havok because I like the idea of him stepping up and leading the mutant population now that Cyke is cray-cray, or Beast because he has served long tenures with both teams, and he was chosen by Prof. X to take his place with the Iluminati

International Avengers: I'll probably come up with a better name, but this is a team of international heroes dedicated to protecting the Earth as a whole. They would deal with terrorist organizations/dictators, as well as helping the main team with world-ending threats. I'm not sure where they would be stationed... maybe in DC. I'm not sure of I want to go all "watchtower" with it or not... anyway, the team is lead by Black Panther, plus Captain America as the adviser, with Black Knight, Northstar, Darkstar(Russia), Sunfire(Japan), Radioactive Man(China), El Muerto(Mexico), and Arabian Knight(Iraq), with reserve members Lionheart, Ursa Major(Russia), and Silverclaw(South America)

So that'show I would restructure the Avengers if I ever got the chance. I'd love to hear how you guys would do it. There are no guidelines for making your teams, so don't feel the need to use mine as a model, do whatever you want!

#1 Edited by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avengers_4everXX: I really like your first team, and some of the ideas you have for what to do with it (although, not so much the Jean Grey stuff), and I like Beast being on the Uncanny team (I dunno why he isn't already), though I can't really see Storm on a team she's not the leader of (it just never works), so I'd leave her with the X-men personally.

I recently made some teams for another thread, but maybe I can explain them more here:

The Avengers

Captain America, Ironman, Wasp, Thor, Captain Marvel, Spiderwoman, Hawkeye, Falcon, Spiderman, and Wolverine.

This would be the main team, with the classic characters. I wanted it to be big enough that if any of the members were unavailable (since most of them have solo adventures/other duties), they'd still have a full team to send out. I also picture Hank Pym, Bruce Banner, Black Widow, and Black Panther, as well as SHIELD interacting with this team, but this would be the core of it.

Uncanny Avengers

Captain Marvel, Spiderwoman, Hawkeye & Hawkeye, Rogue, Cannonball, Sunspot, and Spiderman

.I wanted this to be the team that Captain Marvel leads, because I like her in a leadership role, and (people seem to forget that) she actually was on the X-men and the Avengers, so there's some great history there (especially with Rogue, right). Spiderman and Spiderwoman, besides both being great with Carol, also have some history with the X-men and (most importantly) knowing what it's like not to be trusted by the general public. Cannonball I see as being Carol's main deputy on this team, basically co-leading. Hawkeye and Hawkeye are just awesome. Also, it would be great to have Beast interact with this team, maybe not as a full on member, but a go-to guy at least.

The New Avengers

Havoc, Photon, Smasher, Manifold, Hyperion, Valkyrie, and the Vision.

This would be the galactic team, representing the Avengers in the bold jurisdiction of space. So of course I had to have Havoc lead this one. I also wanted to use characters who could easily be overlooked on the main Avengers team, to give them a chance to really shine out in their own jurisdiction.

#2 Posted by kid Apollo (705 posts) - - Show Bio

yah yor first team is pretty sweet, super powerful.

but i had this idea, it all stemmed from these line ups i made for a What If? about the Dark Reign lasting longer and getting a whole lot worse for the good guys, but as more arcs, characters, and plots pop up its grown and mutated into new lineups. I know alot of people had alot of problems with the DR but i thought it was a cool point of view for the 'good guy' and its funny to think how Osborn and his Dark Avengers would handle arcs like Shadowland, AvsX, Fear Itself, etc. The big difference is based before SEIGE, Iron Man doesnt return to battle from Broxton, which leads to Thor getting captured and the rest of the heroes going underground after the defeat of the Void.

the MIGHTY AVENGERS: the premier team of heroes running the 'Network' against Osborn and HAMMER in the U.S..

Super Soldier (Rogers), Beast, Brother Voodoo, Iron Fist, Spider Woman and Protector with Thor and Ironman joining up after respective arcs.

the NEW AVENGERS: the secondary team that deals with more international team, worldwide protectors.

the Wasp (Pym), Quicksilver, Spiderman, Black Panther (Shuri), Ravish (Red She Hulk...had to give her a name), the Vision 2.0 (Jonas), and a crippled U.S.Agent in a stolen version of the Detroit Steel armor.

the THUNDERBOLTS: a black ops team of military/espionage based character for the dirtier missions.

Hawkeye, Black Widow, War Machine, Mockinbird, G.I.Ant Man (O'grady), Winter Soldier (Barnes), and Agent Red (Red Hulk)

but this also lead to some harder X-men teams. At the conclusion of Utopia the X-men settles down in their old Australian base near Cooper's Creek instead of San Fransisco.

the UNCANNY X-MEN: the home team of X-men, mainly the head teaching staff and defenders of the base:

Cyclops, Emma Frost, Iceman, Colossus, Shadowcat, Archangel, and Binary (long story short, she switched teams with Beast prior to Messiah Complex)

the X-MEN: the away team, dealing with threats and saving mutants in trouble.

Rogue, Psylocke, Magneto, Gambit, Juggernaut, Sunfire, and Nightcrawler (until he dies during 2nd Coming and is switched for...), Thunderbird (still T.O.d from Necrosha)

X-FORCE: the death dealers and skull busters, this team was lead by Bishop during Messiah Complex as no one found out that he was a traitor until both of the Madrox dupes were sent back from the different timelines.

Bishop, Cannonball, Domino, Caliban, and Wolfsbane, with Gentle (instead of Elixir) and Daken (Prof and Logan fixed his head) joining the team later. When it is final discovered that Bishop is a traitor Storm joins and take command of the team... with her mohawk.

#3 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo: Ravish, Agent Red, and G.I.Antman are pretty good names for those characters!

#4 Posted by kid Apollo (705 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks man, G.I.Ant Man is actually the name of the uniform Eric O'Grady stole from Pym(skrull) and SHIELD. Ravish

came to me when i first heard her name was Red She-Hulk, and Agent Red came to me when i read the Hulk book where Steve Rogers and Hulk take an elevator down into Gamma Base and see a locked up Red Hulk

#5 Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

@dangallant984: Nice dude. For me personally, I don't like Wolverine or the Spider people as Avengers, and I'm not such a fan of everyone being on multiple teams, but those are good line ups IMO

In mine, I'd probably bring Spider Man into New Avengers eventually, if only to have him with Johnny, Bobby and Kitty

#6 Posted by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

So nine characters and three back-ups on four teams of Avengers and no repeats?

#7 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4171 posts) - - Show Bio

I sort of like the idea that the Avengers are one big organization, but with different squads for different missions. I think at this point, and for the sake of having some consistency, I would relegate the founding members to the role of support characters; they would be the core of the organization and would move between the teams as needed.

the founding members as the backbone of the team

Uncanny Avengers

I'm really digging this team right now, and I would keep Cap', Thor, and Wasp on that squad to keep the balance of traditional Avengers, as well as all the great historical contexts this current line up can be tied to. I know the conceit is that this is the team that deals with mutant related stuff, but it's also a group of characters with ties to a broader spectrum of the MU, and it's history, than we've really seen before.

This is a team that has the potential to expose some of the great connections that can exist within the MU's diverse mythologies, many that haven't really been explored too their true potential. It develops a context that encompasses previously disparate histories, and I think it should definitely be the public face of the Avengers for that very reason.

The Avengers

On the other hand, I think there's more than enough established Avengers to justify having another team which wouldn't need as much support from the founding members to be recognized as the main Avengers. This would be Captain Marvel's team, and though it would be supported by Tony Stark (and at times feature Pym, Banner, Reed Richards or T'Challa) it would feature none of the founders in it's active membership, and would be more likely to interact with more of the reserve membership.

This could be the team that could feature and interact with some of newer or less established characters in the MU, as well as cover a range of different threats; from high concept superhero stuff with Ironman and the like, to more espionage based stuff with Black Widow or SHIELD, or even to more street level stuff like helping out Dare Devil or Powerman.

And I like there being a team that doesn't have to dip into the original membership (or the X-men) to still work as both a classic lineup and a forward moving version of the Avengers.

#8 Edited by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers team, members would be three senior members and four new members to help bring more heroes to in the group who haven't joined while the senior members are comprised of not the usual senior members:

Base of operation The Mansion

Scarlet Witch (Leader), Vision, Black Knight, for new members Songbird, Equinox, Radioactive Man and Darkhawk

The International team. This team will operate from the Hydro Base.

The team comprises of members from every walk of the Marvel U. From country's, dimensions, and planets. This team handles the political aspects relations while the same time facing various terrorist threats.

Leader Captain America, Black Panther, Spitfire, Namor, Manta, Clea, and Crimson Dynamo.

The West Coast Avengers

This team will be for the former classic members now deciding to keep residence and security of the West Coast branch. Dealing in the traditional super heroics.

Leader Pulsar, Wasp, Giantman, Hawkeye, Falcon, Crystal, and Sersi.

#9 Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

@t3hlomb: feel free to use whatever structure you want :) that's just how I personally would do it

#10 Posted by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@avengers_4everxx: I actually like your structure cause I can't just double or triple up some characters. I have to think about it more lol

#11 Edited by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

For the "Classic" Avengers team:

1. Iron Man (Leader)
  2. Hawkeye
  3. Hulk
  4. Spider Woman
  5. Spider-Man
  6. Black Widow
  7. Falcon
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. The Thing

Alternates: Daredevil, Mockingbird, and Moon Knight

With the New Avengers, to go along with the "training ground" for new heroes:

1. Captain America (Leader)
  2. Shang Chi
  3. Vision
  4. Miss America
  5. Marvel Boy
  6. Kid Loki
  7. Speed
  8. Wiccan
  9. Hulkling

Alternates: Cannonball, Ant Man, Hawkeye (Kate Bishop)

Uncanny Avengers with the mixed teams:

1. Wolverine (Leader)
  2. Wasp (Advisor)
  3. Quicksilver
  4. Scarlet Witch
  5. Iron Fist
  6. Havok
  7. Storm
  8. Sunspot
  9. Rogue

Alternates: Beast, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones

For the International Avengers, I made it a international and intergalactic team:

1. Thor (Leader)
  2. Captain Universe
  3. Namor
  4. Captain Marvel
  5. Black Panther
  6. Smasher
  7. Captain Britain
  8. Hyperion
  9. Manifold

Alternates: Black Bolt, Invisible Woman, and War Machine

#12 Posted by Backflip (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got a multitudes of teams in my head, but here is what I'd probably run with if I got to redesign it today.

Mighty Avengers

The Premier Avengers Team. Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Protectors of the Planet. This is a strike team that is really striving forward with the Avengers ideal, a superteam put together with the sole purpose of protecting the world and it's inhabitants. When Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man came together, they decided to do things differently. No longer would the play second fiddle to bureaucracy and diplomatic relations, this time, they were going to superceed governments and privatize world peace in the interest of humanity, vigilantism on a world wide scale.

They implemented three systems. A strike force, led by Ms. Marvel who they believed had the greatest chops and experience for the role.

• Captain America (Leader)
  • Iron Man
  • Thor,
  • Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers/Field Leader)
  • Songbird
  • Crystal
  • Ares
  • Justice

Uncanny Avengers

The Mutant team. In light of Avengers Versus X-Men, it was decided that Mutants need a team that'll honour their struggle, or at least make for a good PR stunt.

• Scarlet Witch (Leader)
  • Quicksilver
  • Wonder Man
  • Beast
  • Vision

Secret Avengers

The Black Ops division was created after a scandal involving the assassination of the Russian president in which Bucky Barnes aka Winter Soldier, american hero and defected Russian Super Spy, was implemented. With a return to Cold War agendas in light of the succession of the Presidents vice who had far more extremist views, Bucky became unable to act as the hero he wished to be as his own safety, that of those around him and in fact even the entire United States of America was put at risk after interventions by the Winter Guard who were looking for blood. To avert war and further deaths, Captain America staged Bucky's death during a tussle with the Winter Guard and so the Russians gained retribution.

Bucky went to ground and assembled a new team, one able to delve into the murky waters, a black ops division.

Winter Soldier (Leader), Spider Woman, Hawkeye, Black Widow, War Machine and Quake

Young Avengers

• Hawkgirl (Kate Bishop/Leader)
  • Wiccan
  • Hulkling
  • Speed
  • Noh-Varr
  • Miss America
  • Victor Mancha
  • Amadeus Cho

Illuminati

• Iron Man
  • Mr. Fantastic
  • Black Panther,
  • Captain Britain
  • Dr. Strange
  • Storm.
#13 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2107 posts) - - Show Bio

Like some of the ideas done be people hear

#14 Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

@t3hlomb: Well thank you :) I wish they would implement it at Marvel. It would be an easy way to diversify the universe since certain characters wouldn't be put in every book imaginable. I'm still waiting for Wolverine to join Guardians of the Galaxy.

#15 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4171 posts) - - Show Bio

@t3hlomb said:

For the "Classic" Avengers team:

1. Iron Man (Leader)
  2. Hawkeye
  3. Hulk
  4. Spider Woman
  5. Spider-Man
  6. Black Widow
  7. Falcon
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. The Thing

Alternates: Daredevil, Mockingbird, and Moon Knight

I like this team a lot, but I think I would replace either Hulk or Thing (or both) to have Captain Marvel on this team. She just works so well with so many of these characters. And I wouldn't have the Black Widow be a public member (since she's a spy), but otherwise I like it a lot.

who would go better with these guys, Thing or Hulk? 'cause I'm leaning towards Hulk..

I like Thor (and Cap',but Cap' can be on two teams, right?) being on the Uncanny team (and Storm leading the X-men), but other than that, I think all of your teams sound great.

#16 Posted by t3hLomb (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: I thought about Capt. Marvel on the standard Avengers, but I figured that I'd put her on my Intergalactic/International Avengers team with her abilities. But I do like Jessica and Carol being together on a team since they're such good friends. If push came to shove between Hulk and Thing I'd probably take out the Thing cause the Hulk is classic and Banner needs a support system.

I think I agree with removing Black Widow, so I think I'd actually go back and make her a reserve member and make Mockingbird a full on team member. I thought about a Secret Avengers team led by Widow with maybe Nick Fury Jr., Coulson, Winter Soldier, and Daredevil. Hawkeye has never struck me as a good covert guy. I know his weapon is silent, but he's just so outgoing and brash.

I wanted to make it where there wasn't any moonlighting on other teams. They're all "Avengers" so they could feasibly work together when mission necessitates, but these would be their actual teams that they spend 90% of their time with. I put Cap on the training team cause he's someone that these upcoming Avengers need to look up to and learn from.

#17 Posted by oldnightcrawler (4171 posts) - - Show Bio

@t3hlomb said:

@oldnightcrawler:

I thought about Capt. Marvel on the standard Avengers, but I figured that I'd put her on my Intergalactic/International Avengers team with her abilities. But I do like Jessica and Carol being together on a team since they're such good friends. If push came to shove between Hulk and Thing I'd probably take out the Thing cause the Hulk is classic and Banner needs a support system.

yeah, I like them both a lot, but Thing's got the FF, and Hulk goes really well with Ironman, Dr.Strange, etc..

I think I agree with removing Black Widow, so I think I'd actually go back and make her a reserve member and make Mockingbird a full on team member. I thought about a Secret Avengers team led by Widow with maybe Nick Fury Jr., Coulson, Winter Soldier, and Daredevil. Hawkeye has never struck me as a good covert guy. I know his weapon is silent, but he's just so outgoing and brash.

I like 'Widow being an Avenger, I just don't think it makes sense for her to be on a team as a public member. I like the idea of her working with SHIELD, and popping up when you least expect it. And I think between Hawkeye (like you said, quiet range attacks), Spiderwoman (also a spy, but with powers and a mask), Spiderman, and Falcon (who's a detective), this team has more than enough stealth going on. But , for that reason, as well as her history with some of these guys, it would make sense that this would be the Avengers 'Widow would come to when she needed Avengers.

I wanted to make it where there wasn't any moonlighting on other teams. They're all "Avengers" so they could feasibly work together when mission necessitates, but these would be their actual teams that they spend 90% of their time with. I put Cap on the training team cause he's someone that these upcoming Avengers need to look up to and learn from.

Yeah, I do really like the idea of there not being overlapping characters, I just think Cap' would be a fair exception to that rule. I do really like that you have him on the training group (a lot), but I can't see that being the only group he'd pay attention to, and I like what he brings to the Uncanny team.

To be honest, I think your International/intergalactic team seems a little redundant (although I am a fan of all of those characters), and it feels a bit like Thor, Captain Marvel, and a bunch of A-list reserves. Personally, I'd replace Thor and Captain Marvel with someone like Valkyre and make Captain Britain or Black Panther the leader, to give the team a more distinct feel.

#18 Posted by Extremis (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

@t3hlomb: Well thank you :) I wish they would implement it at Marvel. It would be an easy way to diversify the universe since certain characters wouldn't be put in every book imaginable. I'm still waiting for Wolverine to join Guardians of the Galaxy.

Seriously. Wolverine is in WAY too many titles.

#19 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4171 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avengers_4everxx said:

Seriously. Wolverine is in WAY too many titles.

yeah. I like him on the Uncanny Avengers, and I like that his day-job is being a teacher at the school, but that's plenty.

He really doesn't need to be on the regular Avengers too, or any X-men teams. And I haven't felt like reading his solo book (s!?) in years.

#20 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2107 posts) - - Show Bio

Great idea

#21 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7680 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers Unlimited & Illuminati

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.