Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7703 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Reading Avengers Comics

Piltover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking of reading the Avengers comics but seeing that many comics have tie-ins with each other, I was wondering if it's alright to read only the avengers comics because I don't think I can devote myself to many comic book series. And if so, what issue is a good starting point for first time readers?

wundagoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

Read All-New Invaders instead. A bunch of cool Avenger characters in a series that has not been infected with tie-ins yet. Plus it just started, so you can get the 3 issues and you're up to speed.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@piltover said:

I'm thinking of reading the Avengers comics but seeing that many comics have tie-ins with each other, I was wondering if it's alright to read only the avengers comics because I don't think I can devote myself to many comic book series. And if so, what issue is a good starting point for first time readers?

Both Uncanny Avengers and the current Mighty Avengers are self-contained (some early issues of Mighty' are tie-ins to other events, but you can read them without reading those events; I did), and both of them are very good Avengers comics. As a longtime reader, I consider both of them to be two of the best Avengers books in years.

Uncanny' is up to issue 19 right now. The first arc starts a bit slow, but if you started from issue #5 - Let The Good Times Roll, you'd probably have no problem getting into it.

Mighty Avengers is only up to issue 9, so I'd recommend the whole series, but issue #6 is a pretty good jumping on point if you just want to try a few issues first. Hope this helps :v

Piltover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This helps a lot sir, thanks. It gives me an idea of where to start. I think I'm going to read both series. I just wish that the characters won't be talking about things the happened in the past like past arcs or artifacts they encountered before or something like that, because i might get lost! XD

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flameboy298

@oldnightcrawler: Thanks this helped me aswell not sure how far back I should start reading though

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks this helped me as well not sure how far back I should start reading though

well, like I say, personally I think both series are worth reading from the beginning, but they do both have kind of slow introductory arcs; so if you don't want to go all the way back I would say Uncanny Avengers #5 andMighty Avengers #6 as good jumping on points respectively. Those are, in my opinion, the points at which those books really catch their stride.

There's a new issue of each coming out this week, I think, so they'll be at issues 20 and 10, respectively.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Wait wait.I read back you said they were self contained.So things like Fear Itself,Original Sin..etc..etc don't tie in??

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@oldnightcrawler: Wait wait.I read back you said they were self contained.So things like Fear Itself,Original Sin..etc..etc don't tie in??

well, they both started way after Fear Itself, but kind of.

Uncanny Avengers hasn't had tie in issues to any of the events that have happened since it's started. So it's totally self-contained.

Mighty Avengers' first 3 issues were ostensibly tie-ins to Infinity, and issues 4 and 5 were tie-ins to Inhumanity. But I read those issues and enjoyed them despite not having read either of those events. The threats they face spin out of the events, but the story's really about the members of the team, so you don't need to know about the event books to understand the story itself. By issue 6 (the one I recommended for a quick start), the team has come together and started their own stories, which have been even better.

The next issue of Mighty' (issue 10) is supposed to be a tie-in to Original Sin, but given how this book has handled tie-in issues so far, I feel pretty confident that whatever I really need to know to enjoy the issue itself will be part of the story. I know that Original Sin is about the death of the Watcher, and I know he was an old friend of Blue Marvel from reading this series, so probably that's all I'll need to know to enjoy it anyway. Maybe it'll get me interested in OS, more likely not, but I probably won't feel like I'm missing anything from this book by not reading it. Does that answer your question?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Yeah.I just wanted a good Avenger book that ties in to events were Cap is the Leader,but I don't think he is for Mighty Avengers I'll still pick it up anyways I guess.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decided to stick with the regular Avengers by Hickman and Avengers World

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.