Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7703 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Off My Mind: Too Many Leaders on a Superhero Team

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided

Superhero teams need to have a strong dynamic. There are many factors that are crucial in making a team a success and able to defeat the bad guys. You want to have a well-rounded roster in terms of strengths, powers and abilities. Of course a crucial factor is to have strong leadership.

There are many characters that are automatically seen as leader material. It wouldn't matter how long they've been on the team. If they have the ability, experience and respect of others, chances are they are right for the team. You don't really expect a premiere leader-type character to sit back and take orders from others.

Having a clearly defined leader isn't always the case, especially in some comic books from today. As team rosters shift and characters move around to other teams, we're starting to see several definitive leader-type characters all on the same team.

Does this make the team stronger or will it lead to problems down the road?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

In UNCANNY AVENGERS, we are going to have a squad of six members. It's been announced that in issue #5, the roster will increase to nine members. The number of members isn't quite the issue to be concerned with but more so the fact that several characters are seen as being a leader. Now that they are one the saw team, is it possible or reasonable for there to be only one leader? What happens when one member doesn't feel the leader's decision is the best?

No Caption Provided

In the first issue, Captain America approached Havok with the offer of leading a squad. Cap wants to bridge the gap between the Avengers and the X-Men, humans and mutants. He feels that someone needs to stand up to represent the mutants. Havok has been a leader before. He's been a successful one. Not only has he lead X-Factor but more recently, he was the leader of the Starjammers after his father was killed. He can lead a squad but is he the best leader on this squad? Is he good enough to issue orders to Captain America? Isn't Cap considered the leader in any situation?

No Caption Provided

Another leader is Wolverine. During Schism, the X-Men split and he and Cyclops took half the team. As the headmaster of the Jean Grey School of Higher Learning, he is still considered a leader. He's an old guy and has fought many battles. Is Havok better suited to lead than Wolverine? Cap mentions that Wolverine may not be the best because of his "checkered past," he can't be "the face of this."

Rogue is also slated to be on the team. She's had leadership of her own squad in the previous X-MEN: LEGACY title. Thor and Scarlet Witch have never really been interested in being leaders so it's going to be fascinating to see Havok accepting the role of leading all them. Will it just be for the press or will he and the others actually accept it? Let's say the squad is assembled and they have to face Red Skull. Will he be best suited to make the decisions in stopping him? If he gives an order but Cap knows it's not the right call, would he challenge or countermand his order?

Who's the boss?
    Who's the boss?

As for Wolverine, if he's considered the leader of the X-Men at the school in WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN, what happens now that Storm has decided to be part of the school (and adventures that will obviously follow)? Storm is the one X-Man that claimed leadership in battle over Cyclops when she didn't even possess her mutant powers. Will she simply go along with whatever decisions Wolverine makes?

There is an advantage to having several members that are capable of being a leader. The problem is there's bound to be rivalry and an almost sense of competition among them. Those with less confidence may feel the need to try to prove themselves as a better leader. Someone like Cap is able to sit back and follow orders. Way back in the original AVENGERS series (issue #217), he stepped down to allow Wasp to be the leader.

No Caption Provided

Many leaders could be good but they also say too many cooks spoil the broth. Having a team with multiple leaders could be a great asset in being prepared to take on any threat that may arise. The real question is will it result in conflict when one tries to take control over the others? We'll have to keep an eye on UNCANNY AVENGERS to see who exactly the leader will be.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've always been favorable to the idea of multiple leaders so long as said leaders don't have egos to go along with it. Lets be honest, power is the ultimate aphrodisiac and with power put into a leadership role, some people have shown resistance to wanting to share that power with others. Superheroes are just as inclined to have egos as supervillains and thus when the question of leadership in a superhero team comes to light, they must understand that the ones who assume the leadership responsibility are the ones who do it with a sense of humility and duty rather than a need for wanting to be the head honcho. If multiple leaders are like that, like on Uncanny Avengers for instance, then I can see them working together rather than trying to fight each other. Conflict will only arise if they pervert the intention of leadership in the first place rather than using it as a force of direction.

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hyenascar

Egos and maturity. Leaders need both. For a leader to be great, they need to know when to lead and also when to follow. Cap has often followed. Plus he is a captain, isn't he due a promotion, while high up the list there are several officers above him. All jokes aside he played second fiddle to several of the avengers through the years. Wolverine, only leads when he has to, Rogue was more of a special field mission leader, which just leaves Havok. Havok or Cap. Either way as long as they know when to follow.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By charlieboy

Actually the Scarlet Witch was the leader of Avengers West Coast for a bit. She also was the leader of Force Works. So she is in the leader list too.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Like anyone is going to try and usurp Cap's authority. Thor is wholly loyal to him, and nobody is stupid enough to try and take on Thor these days.

Hell, Thor has lead the Asgardian Armies before, and yet he totally recognizes that Cap is the boss when it comes to Earth affairs.

Logan? Never has a harsh word to say about him.

Wonder Man? Nobody cares what he thinks.

Wasp? Practically worships Cap.

Wanda? Nutjob. They'd sooner kill her than follow her into battle.

Rogue? I would not place an emotional wild-card like her in charge of people like Simon, Alex, and Thor. It would be a disaster.

"Thor, mah arm is broken. Quik', gemme to Utopia so Magneto can soothe mah pain."

Havok? Seems pretty timid around Cap, and already quite loyal. It seems as though he believes Cap's position in the war with Scott was justifiable, so that covers that.

Firestar? Whatever.

Honestly, some of these characters have leadership qualities, but they pale in comparison to Cap, and I've never seen him take a backseat to people like Logan or Rogue.

Also, what the hell is with Havok's new costume? He looked like a total badass with that containment suit. He just looks like the goofy cousin of Bullseye now.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Paracelsus

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians( apologizies to any Native American posters due to non-PC terminology) can be a problem- in Reed's absence Susan Storm Richards(notwithstanding being pregnant at the time) declared herself to be team leader, so gender or even being non-human- synthezoid like the Vision, mutants like Scarlet Witch should not be the issue at stake!

Terry

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMess1428

What if Wasp or Wonder Man want to lead after they join? lol

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By saoakden

I remember reading some interviews that Remender did before this series came out. He said there would be drama and seeing how one character acts towards another like lets say Rogue and Scarlet Witch if I remember correctly.

Any who, I also remember another article similar to this one that talked about the Avengers line up after Fear Itself and that team had a number of characters who had been leaders in the past. I think having a few leaders in the team could be good. They could probably share their experiences being leaders to help each other become a better leader. I know conflict is going to rise when it comes to leader ship later like with Cable and the X-Force. Marvel released a preview showing Cable's X-Force team being confronted by the Uncanny X-Force. Havok is shocked to see his nephew, Cable, breaking the law. We see Cap giving some orders and Havok telling them to stand down. I'm getting the feeling after that meeting, there is going to be a big argument But will have to wait and see. They should try to add a few more X-Men characters to the team. A lot of Avengers and a few X-Men members.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

@TheMess1428 said:

What if Wasp or Wonder Man want to lead after they join? lol

Cap will say no and Wonder Man will throw another tantrum and try to kill them all.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By feebadger

I hate you, Marvel (and for writing such a non-conclusive article which includes the usual half arsed, non decisive, response baiting twaddle you have exclusively begun writing in order to attract some form of internet traffic)

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By THORSON

@feebadger: then get off and go complain to your mother. you're immaturity is not needed here.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By feebadger

@THORSON said:

@feebadger: then get off and go complain to your mother. you're immaturity is not needed here.

Oh.. my dear. Come here and let me cradle your grossly deformed head. That's really your response?

Oh.... .shhhhhh... it's all going to be okay... we're going to make sure a real idea comes into our head.....

real soon....

comic_shaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By comic_shaun

It'll be interesting to see what Sunfire has to contribute to this team and I'm loving the use of the original suit. Not a BIG fan of the AOA look he's been rocking.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By chalkshark

Conflict breeds drama. That can only be a good thing.

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wdchefdave

No one but Ironman is going to question Captain America's leadership.

And, I don't know if they are on good terms these days... but, Stark could lead any other team.

Hawkeye has become a leader... thanks to Cap...

Cyclops is a leader with flaws...

And, Ms/Capt. Marvel has shown her leadership... with flaws. (Oops!)

Looks like it's the Captain all the way! (Hell, he even got Superman's vote once!)

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@THORSON said:

You have to realize how it works with trolls ... you fee(d) them too much, then they badger you endlessly in a manner and fashion only said troll finds amusing and / or even remotely witty or intelligent.

Now, wait and see how he responds to me herein for point and case. (If he chooses not to respond, he is one of the smarter trolls out there ... but alas, they are few and far between).

Oh, and when they say "that's really your response?" then you know the response did indeed get under their oh so very thin skin. You can then cease and desist as you've already given them more than they can handle. Though as they tend to be attention starved, they can remain fairly persistent ...

Cheers.

Jmacq1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jmacq1

With the Uncanny Avengers in particular, I don't see it as too much of a problem, with the possible exception of Thor, but even then:

Captain America: He's a soldier. He knows how to take orders as well as give them, and I think he wants Havok to succeed. He won't undermine his authority. He might pull him aside and talk to him if he disagrees with something, but it won't be in the midst of combat. This is likely critical to the rest of the Avengers falling in line: If they see Cap doing it, they'll be inclined to do the same.

Rogue and Wolverine: Both of these X-ers are old buddies of Havok from the Australia days, Logan and Alex were chummy enough to go on road trips together back in the day, and Logan has followed Alex's lead before. Rogue has been a leader of late, but as long as Havok doesn't insult her intelligence or experience he should be fine. She's much more emotionally stable than she used to be.

Scarlet Witch: As others have noted, she's in no position to lead anything right now, both in terms of her own state of mind and in terms of the trust levels required for others to follow her.

Thor: Thor's kind of the wild card. He's got a big ego and can be brash and arrogant. However, if Captain America vouches for Alex that's probably all the justification Thor needs, and if Alex earns Thor's respect through his actions in the meantime, all will be well.

Upcoming Members

Sunfire: Another potential wild card. Sunfire can be brash and arrogant as well, though I think he's mellowed somewhat over the years. How well he follows is probably going to be dependent on his reasons for joining the team.

Wasp: Janet did a fine job during her stint as Avengers leader, but she doesn't seem to be overly ambitious in that regard. She's not likely to place herself in competition with Alex, in other words. Janet knows her greatest strengths are as a "supporter" (both in combat and emotionally speaking) and seems to be happy in that role.

Wonder Man: Simon's rarely been in a leadership role, and like Wanda isn't really in "a good place" to be asserting his (lack of) authority.

My only question at this point is: Where the heck is Beast? He should be a natural fit for this group. Especially with Simon showing up.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Med

This is all under the assumption that Havok is a poor leader. Cap seems to have a lot of faith in him. If he is right about him, then Havok will make good decisions and there will be no need for dissension among the ranks. If his other team mates cant take a good order because they think they know better, then they have no place being superheroes at all, let alone leaders. On the other hand though, the above picture doesn't have Havok front and center. He is just off on the side. Waaaay off on the side...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Lvenger

@feebadger said:

I hate you, Marvel (and for writing such a non-conclusive article which includes the usual half arsed, non decisive, response baiting twaddle you have exclusively begun writing in order to attract some form of internet traffic)

That's a tad unfair to insult G-Man for writing this article. I don't see the need for it. I read your blog on Marvel and found it interesting but there's no need for this profane insulting of others on here. Just because it doesn't suit your standards of what makes a good article, that doesn't mean it's not interesting to other people. G-Man doesn't write articles for the sake of writing articles, he writes what he thinks on a matter with commentary on the issue. That's why he's a staff member on here. No one's asking you to like the article but I will damn well ask you to be respectful to others on here. As for your status, if you're going to behave in a nasty manner, then there shouldn't be a place for you on the Vine. Do I make myself clear?

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By feebadger

@Lvenger said:

@feebadger said:

That's a tad unfair to insult G-Man for writing this article. I don't see the need for it. I read your blog on Marvel and found it interesting but there's no need for this profane insulting of others on here. Just because it doesn't suit your standards of what makes a good article, that doesn't mean it's not interesting to other people. G-Man doesn't write articles for the sake of writing articles, he writes what he thinks on a matter with commentary on the issue. That's why he's a staff member on here. No one's asking you to like the article but I will damn well ask you to be respectful to others on here. As for your status, if you're going to behave in a nasty manner, then there shouldn't be a place for you on the Vine. Do I make myself clear?

I completely respect your opinion Lvenger, and i do understand that my tone is somewhat disrespectful.

But allow me to explain that this comment (and my status) come after a long line of PM's and comments to G-Man regarding the content in Comic Vine, not just about personal opinion, but in regards to a drop in quality, a disregard to the community, promotion of pieces that promote the degradation of women, increasingly violent content with no warnings for younger viewers and unprofessional self promotion from one creator to another.

I apologise if my strong words offend you. It was not my intent and, in truth, not a way of communicating i am comfortable with myself. But there is a distinct lack of commitment occurring on the Vine, i feel, and if my comments seem boorish and callous (as i can see they do) then perhaps it is to try and elicit some form of response from those concerned.

Jmacq1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jmacq1

@Med said:

This is all under the assumption that Havok is a poor leader. Cap seems to have a lot of faith in him. If he is right about him, then Havok will make good decisions and there will be no need for dissension among the ranks. If his other team mates cant take a good order because they think they know better, then they have no place being superheroes at all, let alone leaders. On the other hand though, the above picture doesn't have Havok front and center. He is just off on the side. Waaaay off on the side...

Yeah, but that's just marketing at work. Cap and Thor have recognition factor that's way bigger than Havok. No one is going to deny that they're "bigger" characters than Havok, but that doesn't have any affect on the in-story dynamics if the writer is good and the editors don't force his hand.

Plus, Cap's got a great design for centering covers around.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlKusanagi

Nothing is wrong with a chain of command or having co-leaders as groups have in the past. That way, if someone goes down in a fight or the team needs to be split, there's no confusion whatsoever about who is going to step up and take control.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By UltraBiel

Even though I think this article talks about an important and interesting issue in super hero comic books using Uncanny avengers is kind of silly and absurd.

There is no leadership conflict in this team for now, it is all about the avengers pretending they are good guys who love mutants, Cap.America and the others will basically do anything Havoc tells them to do, Rogue eventually will follow the flow like the others.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Lvenger

@feebadger said:

I completely respect your opinion Lvenger, and i do understand that my tone is somewhat disrespectful.

It was disrespectful and maybe instead of posting an immature response to @THORSON: you could have posted what you said now to avoid the negative feedback. Now I can respectfully disagree with you rather than lecture you on the code of conduct on the Vine.

@feebadger said:

But allow me to explain that this comment (and my status) come after a long line of PM's and comments to G-Man regarding the content in Comic Vine, not just about personal opinion, but in regards to a drop in quality, a disregard to the community, promotion of pieces that promote the degradation of women, increasingly violent content with no warnings for younger viewers and unprofessional self promotion from one creator to another.

So I take it you've sent these PMs to G-Man personally? And has he responded to them? These first two questions are just a matter of interest. As for your other points, I can understand the drop in quality although I still see plenty of good things around the Vine but when has the Comicvine staff ever promoted pieces that degrade women? I fail to see how Comicvine has done that. And I'd need to know a specific instance of the violent content posted on Comicvine that doesn't warn younger viewers. G-Man has warned in videos before about violent, graphic content though his recent "Best Stuff in Comics this week" was a bit controversial. And I'm not a fan of the way Comicvine has already made Scott Lobdell a mod so he could post an article on here. I thought that was unprofessional.

@feebadger said:

I apologise if my strong words offend you. It was not my intent and, in truth, not a way of communicating i am comfortable with myself. But there is a distinct lack of commitment occurring on the Vine, i feel, and if my comments seem boorish and callous (as i can see they do) then perhaps it is to try and elicit some form of response from those concerned.

The reason why they were boorish and callous is because you haven't elaborated like you have now. Next time elaborate or make a blog on it rather than simply post what you did beforehand. Otherwise people will object to them. I am on a slight personal crusade to improve Comicvine however I can and I felt your first comment needed replying to as does this one to show why I disagree.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Med

@Jmacq1:You make a great point. I was thinking that whole time that it depends on how realistic the writing team is. And Havok has the same concentric circles as Cap. Just in a sleek black.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By lorex

I like the face that Havok is leader. He has quite a bit of experience asa leader. I mean he was a leader of the resistance against the Shiar Empire and lead the Starjammers for a time during the War of Kings and is considered quite the bad ass in those parts of the universe. This is a veteran team who all should know what to do and don't need much supervision. That being said a good team needs a single leader so I hope conflict is not thrown in just for the sake of it. I would like Havok to put Cap in his place for getting out of line. This could cement Havok as leader for fans that might not be a familar with him as the more dedicated X-Men fans line me.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

I see Cap and Havok working together to lead the team TBH.

Havok's leadership is cosmetic at best. He's a paper leader. A mutant face man. We all know Steve holds the power cards. Heck, he decides who is and is not on the team to begin with. And the one with the power, that's the real leader. (If Steve says 'no, it isn't going to go down that way' do you really think Havok can do squat about it?)

This is Steve's team. Make no if, ands or buts about it.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By queenfrost_

I like it. I think lately the Avengers have had too many weak spots in their team and Cap's goal is to restore faith in to the public again. This line-up is full of independent (note: NOT individual - don't get the two terms confused) heroes who are all capable of bringing different ideas to the team.

Agypt2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Agypt2020

Like an army there is a general to commission officers to non commission sergeants, these are the leaders over the grunts and force. What this new Avengers team must do is a chain of command as follows: Captain America is the Team Leader, Havoc his lieutenant, Thor advisory, and Wolverine like unto a sergeant that gets the job done. They are heroes, citizens, and actually vigilantes working within or above the law. So why not grant their own rules of command structure and even engagement.The Avengers need make it clear the chain of command, and they have to answer to a higher authority no more mention of registration of heroes. If they are answerable to SHIELD or the Public, power is responsibility and should be held accountable.

ivolution2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ivolution2k1

fact is they're all superheroes they should all have the qualities to lead but its more how they gel and work together as team that matters

triggerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By triggerleo

[QUOTE]Scarlet Witch have never really been interested in being leaders [/QUOTE] Wasn't Scarlet Witch in chanrge of Force Works at some point?

EvanTheMexiJew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By EvanTheMexiJew

Whoa! I own that issue where Wolverine calls Storm "boss".

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By poisonfleur

Wolverine calling Storm 'Boss'.

That goes to show you who Marvel's #1 Woman is!! :D

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kid Apollo

Every member of the Uncanny Avengers has lead a team in some capacity or another. Cap is pretty obvious, as is Wolverine. Havok has lead X-factor, the Starjammers, and his own squad of X-men, Rogue has had her own X-squad a few times. Wasp lead the Avengers, Thor the Asgardians and Scarlet Witch the WCQAvengers and Force Works. Sunfire used to be the leader of Big Hero 6, and Wonder Man the Revengers. i think leadership is gonna be a big issue, especially because Sunfire is always a wildcard and i cant see Wolverine and Wonder man seeing eye to eye on much.

btw Wonder Man just being forgiven and allowed back on the team is bullsh*t. i can understand wanting to keep an eye on him but thats what prisons are for

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#34  Edited By Teerack

i haven't read the last two issues of Uncanny Avengers and the cover for this news post just ruined the return of wasp for me... :(

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Miss_Garrick

For long lived teams like Avengers and Justice League, this is an occupational hazard. I think they should always vote as to who the leader should be. But in a situation like the one the Avengers are having now, just make sure everyone knows who the leader is, and hope that they'll be professional enough to follow his orders.

But the voting idea is the best chance for less team friction.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@triggerleo said:

[QUOTE]Scarlet Witch have never really been interested in being leaders [/QUOTE] Wasn't Scarlet Witch in chanrge of Force Works at some point?

There should be a prize for when people bring up Force Works.

If memory serves me right, she may had led a mission, towards the end of the 20-something issue series, but I don't remember her being the actual leader of the team after that.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I think it's great having many leaders on a team because they would have many different perspectives on how to handle the situation, especially when dealing with villains who have different strategies in defeating the superheroes and they would need a leader who can handle any kind of situation that is thrown at them.  As for who will be the official leader of "Uncanny Avengers," that remains to be seen.  Also, for the team to work out fine in the end, since most of the members on this team are leaders, they would have to learn to work together to make their missions more successful and that would be the major thing that this comic would have to focus on.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By HexThis

Well, all of the problems these superhero teams have faced in the past few years really rooted back to conflicts between leaders. Iron Man and Cap fought during the Civil War, Wolverine and Cyclops battled it out for the X-men, Cyclops exiled Professor X and then cause stirrings amongst his own leading many to depart...if there's anything these people need it's definitely democracy.

People always say "Oh Scott Summers, leader of the X-men" when in actuality he was, more or less, a field leader to Professor X's commander and chief. Did Xavier tailor him to be a leader? Somewhat, yes. But he also managed mutant-human relations which is very, very, very important part of diplomacy and politics.

Jean and the Professor were like the X-men's equivalent of a secretary of state or foreign minister but under Scott's militaristic reign they basically just did whatever they pleased and suffered for it. No group of people looking to establish a leadership outside of a medieval monarchy should ever be lead by just one person who doesn't delegate. The fact of the matter is, in any kind of hierarchy or group that has "power" they are most often composed of people with leadership abilities and inclinations anyways.

But standing at the altar of one person is a silly, naive premise and it always backfires.

Jmacq1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jmacq1

@inferiorego: I think more accurately: It was almost a situation exactly like this in that someone else was forming the team and deciding its' roster (Iron Man/Tony Stark in this case) but naming someone else the "leader" (Wanda).

Memory is dim, but I think she even called him out for butting in too much at some point.

However it's also worth noting that Wanda was one of the "Generals" in the post-Busiek/Post-Kang War Avengers setup.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Grey56

http://www.stanford.edu/group/resed/resed/staffresources/RM/training/grouproles.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_dynamics#Group_formation

This is a fairly easy question to answer. Count the number of Alpha personalities in this 'team'.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#41  Edited By gmanfromheck

@Teerack: Sorry man. Wasp actually 'came back' TWO issues ago in...AVENGERS. The cover for UNCANNY #5 was part of a Marvel LiveBlog news release last week. I even posted the same image.

antemiusenteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By antemiusenteri

@Illuminatus: "Cap" has an authority now , being team leader isn't being president it's not that big of a deal and i don't think Captain america would take it so seriously cause when it comes down to it there all adults and they choose to follow him and just as easily as they can tell him to go screw himself and follow there own leads but whatever, Havok shouldn't even be on that team they just glossed over storm to get him on it for some reason , maybe there planing for a cyclops vs Havok thing later and thats why they left out the actually person who can and has is very capable of leading the x-men again

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#43  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

what you should we saying is is there too many superhero teams in marvel? YES

Jmacq1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jmacq1

@antemiusenteri: Storm was until very recently the queen of Wakanda, and given current circumstances putting her in charge of a team that's supposed to seriously be in the public eye could have been a bad move from an in-universe PR perspective.

And that, of course, is assuming she would even have wanted or taken the job. And that X-Men editorial didn't reserve her for themselves. From a character perspective I could see Ororo being keen on keeping some distance between herself and T'Challa at the moment, and being a full-time Avenger isn't likely to allow that.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Teerack
    Druid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Druid

What if Earth were to develop a team made up of Marvel's most popular characters? That would be so crazy. Possible names include: WOLVERINE and The Avengers, Ironman's Uncanny Avenger Force, Spiderman and his Amazing Avengers.

Avatar image for the_thornes_rockyx
    The_Thornes_RockyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.... good point, but the thing is all super heros are created to be leaders. The reason for that is becuase in situations where most people panic they have to be the ones to straigten things out and keep order. Even the un-important charhecters have a lot of leader qualities.So it's safe to say that maybe the reason why these super teams work out so well is becuase, well it all just ends up governing itsellf. In the end everyone likes one thing so and so says and they follow it, and next thing they know without of realizing it earlier that they have a shiny new leader. And yes Captin America usually is the leader in all kinds of situations but so has Iorn man/ Tony Stark. But Cap. isn't usually referred to as leader, they usally answer to Iorn man or Nick Fury. Well thats just my point of veiw you dont have to agree.... thanks for reading this. YOUR AWESOME!!!

maddpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By maddpanda

@Teerack: Actually, the return of Wasp happened in Avengers: End Times, rather than in Uncanny Avengers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Teerack

@maddpanda: What ever. The issue where there is the mystery girl with her faced rapped came out the same day as uncanny avengers. I just didn't remember which avengers book it was.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Skaddix

Honestly, this is like Civil War Iron Man and Ms. Marvel where Carol was leader in name only while Tony had all the real power.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.