Follow

Avengers

Team » Avengers appears in 7701 issues.

The Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and foremost super-team... "There came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born - to fight the foes no single super hero could withstand! Heed the call, then - for now, the Avengers Assemble!"

Off My Mind: Should Hero Teams Have Secrets?

• 56 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    For the average superhero, the most important thing they have is their secret identity. If they have friends and family they want to protect, they can't allow their true identity to fall into the wrong hands. 

In 2005 we found out that Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Namor, Dr. Strange, Professor X and Black Bolt had been secretly meeting as the Illuminati for years. Their goal was to share information from time to time to prevent major catastrophes from occurring. Knowledge is power, right? 

These guys took it upon themselves to try to control the fate of the Marvel Universe. They didn't tell anyone, not their fellow teammates or even loved ones. Their secret just came out. The Avengers (and Medusa, Black Bolt's wife) just found out that these guys have kept this secret organization for years. Despite them having the best of intentions, is there any way they can be trusted on their respective teams? Is it okay to keep some secrets from fellow teammates?
     == TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Steve Rogers' reaction in The Avengers #9 might have been a tad extreme. The creation of the Illuminati occurred years before he became in charge of the security of the free world. But he does have a point. When heroes are facing super-powered villains, they need to know they have each other's backs. 

Going back to the secret identity, not all members of the New Avengers know Spider-Man's secret identity (since it was erased from everyone's memory and he's only re-told a select few). Can the Avengers truly trust Spider-Man? What's to prevent someone from trying to impersonate him and infiltrate the team? I suppose they wouldn't be able to mimic his charming personality. 

Being on a team is like having a deep personal relationship. Members should be brothers at arms. They have to be able to trust each other. If one member is hiding something from the others, it raises the question of what else they might be hiding. During a battle when lives are at stake, you need to have trust among team members.

Are there some secrets that must be kept? Was the burden the Illuminati kept too much for everyone to handle? Team members might be completely loyal but we have seen heroes suddenly turn to the dark side. When is it okay to keep secrets from your teammates? 
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lokheit

First! Well, I think that what the Illuminati did was useful for some time, but at the end it's better to told your friends because other way they could end up captured by skrulls and giving them DNA to make super-skrulls and a reason to invade the earth...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

Sure, they should have secrets and they should have trust. A part of trust is realizing there might be good reasons for secrets. There are no hard rules either way, should come down to specifics each and every time. 

Avatar image for superboyrocks13
    superboyrocks13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By superboyrocks13

i think they should tell there teamates some things while still haveing their secrets
    SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By SupremoMaximo

Spider Man needs to quit being a douche...

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dondasch

I don't see how a member of any team can be expected to not withhold secrets.  Sometimes, it turns out badly such as in JLA when it was revealed the level of planning that Batman had undertaken should the JLA ever go rogue.

That was a truly enjoyable moment, surpassed only by the immense amount of wreckage that the Hulk inflicted on Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Reed Richards, etc during the Planet Hulk storyline. 

Secrets are inevitable.  Teams need to get used to it

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Outside_85

Some secrets, like identities, have a good reason for staying hidden.
    But creating a shadow government like the Illuminate or have secret kill switches should be known.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

Interesting point about Spidey sharing his identity with the Avengers.  He's never had to worry about team-mates before.  We all know how disastrous it can be if his identity is leaked to the public, so I don't blame him for not wanting to share it with a public org like the Avengers.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of the Illuminati.  Some self appointed senior management of super heroes?  No thanks?  Management is boring at the best of times, even if it did involve super powers & saving the world.  If hero teams are going to network, sharing information to help save the universe... then they shouldn't hide in the shadows to do it.  Sure, they shouldn't broadcast it to the entire world... but it shouldn't be kept to a select few.

Avatar image for comicbikerscott
    comicbikerscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By comicbikerscott

it makes the books interesting
    weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By weapon154

Of course! They should always plan for the worst... like Batman.

jubeiyagyuX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jubeiyagyuX

Steve rogers is a douche! Expecting everyone to suck up to him just because he is top cop now is a no-no.The Illuminati were formed before he was top and automatically he expects them to tell him about the Infinity gems? and he expects after this is all over to "put them back where we found them"? really Steve? really? 

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icemizer

Secrets make for good story telling. Not telling Batman they wiped his mind and Bats not telling the JLA he had plans to defeat them all was great. the only problem is that most secrets retcon things to a certain extent. The Illuminati retconned the entire Marvel Universe almost from the get go. Still I would prefer that to knowing everything. Much more fun.

kungnima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kungnima

What fellow avengers doesnt know about Spideys identity?

Tem-Tem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tem-Tem

I think its okay the have secrets. Some things would cause more harm than good if they got out as are proved every single time they do get out.

People argue that its impossible to trust someone who is keeping secrets but actions speak so much louder than words.

If someone has had your back, almost lay down their life for you, gone into battle beside you, day after day after day who really cares that they used to sleep with a person who is now your enemy?

You've trusted them to be there in the past, when you didn't know their secret and they always have been, so why does everyone always seem to leap to the conclusion that just because that person has a secert they arent going to be there anymore when they have been there every single time in the past.

People in comics need to judge people by what they do, not what they say and get over themselves. No one is entitled to know everything about everyone else. Ever.

MichaelSimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MichaelSimpson

Comics these days are just utter bullcrap!    

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Krakoa

Communication between teammates is very important. We see a similar situation in the need for inter-departmental communication between the United States' various security organizations (i.e. the FBI, CIA, NSA, and Dept of Homeland Security). The key difference is that superheroes are individuals with private lives that probably play more of a role for them and consume more of their time than a typical government agent. If you're hiding something that endangers the lives of others senselessly, that's a problem and said secret has to be revealed. Otherwise, you don't have to mention every little thing, and I think each individual Avenger is mature and smart enough to know which secrets will come back to haunt them. As far as Spidey goes, that's frankly right on the border of acceptable and unacceptable. He has a lengthy reputation of being a trustworthy character that virtually any Marvel superhero can count on, but one's identity is a big deal. In terms of the Steve Rogers thing, he doesn't fit the Nick Fury type role Marvel has given him. Steve, while qualified for the duties of military top brass, has a personality poorly suited to the cloak and dagger warfare and shadowy organizations. 

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By AllNewOverseer

While I think there shouldn't be any secrets among super-hero teams or even groups of heroes. The Illuminati seemed unnessissarily secretive. They could have been the UN for superheroes instead of a shadow government.

However, people do have reasons, both stupid and understandable, for keeping secrets. Plus it makes for good story telling.
    sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sparty-dbq
    @kungnima said:

" What fellow avengers doesnt know about Spideys identity? "

If I'm remembering correctly, the only New Avengers who don't know are Iron Fist and Dr. Strange, and the only alpha Avengers in the dark are Iron Man, Thor, and Noh-Varr.  This is why I believe the Avengers can still trust him.  After all, he trusts them enough not to out him to Hand because they think they're doing him a favor by making him eligible for an Avengers paycheck.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By JonesDeini

Meh, do what's most expedient and pragmatic to the situation

Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Illuminarch

Why post the scan with Steve talking to Iron Man if you're going to make it so small we can't read the speech bubbles? 

I think you make a good point about the necessity of sharing (or the inevitability of accidentally revealing) your secret identity to your team mates. If you really want to keep your identity an absolute secret, you should steer clear of teaming up with anyone. Likewise, anyone already in a team would have to be very picky about allowing new members. They'd have to be organized and behave more like subversive "cells" than the come-and-go-as-we-please super groups of the comics.

BuddyBulson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By BuddyBulson

I just finished Cable Classic Vol One and let me tell you the secrets he kept destroyed "Six Pack" and I dont think they will trust him ever again.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Magian

The ideal would be, no.

Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Midnight Monk

Steve is like a great big fart in a small room, which is why I find his authority laughable. His entire "plan" is a joke beyond all words.

Commander Steve Rogers believes afew appointed individual can take over the work done by entire organizations like HAMMER & SHIELD but in hindsight. His Secret Avengers only show up when he needs them for mission and their hardly Secret since they've been showing up everyone in plain sight. Regular Avengers are too busy in other dimensions to worry about street crime and  New Avengers spend more time chilling in the mansion than on actual mission since more than half of them have other more important responsibilities. How he is in charge of anything is just a sad misleading thought and I'd prefer a cop-out at this point rather than having to deal with anymore of his "Capes in charge" crap.

Nick Fury's SHIELD corrupt as it was got the job done for decades, Tony Stark SHIELD had a sound and almost perfect plan but was only ruined because of aliens. Norman Osborn's HAMMER was corrupt as all hell but the man got the job done like never before because for one he actually had the Punisher killed someone the others failed to do. But Steve Rogers...a man out of time with a piss poor plan doomed to fail

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DarkSyde79

Trust is developed over time. In some cases, secrets need to be kept for various reasons. Some legit, some maddd bogus. But with that said, I knew that if and when Steve Rogers found out about the Illuminati, he would be piss'd. But lets be real, until now he hasn't been the type of person who'd be able to look at the big picture, a lot of it in shades of gray. Now that he's (for lack of a better description) the new Nick Fury... he'll have to understand that things need to be done in a certain matter. Even by the heroes of the Marvel Universe. If anything, his fighting against the SHRA proves this...

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DEGRAAF

i think people should be able to have secrets as long as the secrets dont put others in danger. I think Tony had full right to keep it from his team. Maybe he should have let someone in on the other little club he is in but for the most part i think he played it out right. His problem came when the Hood found out about his club and still didnt tell his other team or atleast Steve Rogers about it.
    auron570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By auron570

should people keep secrets? In a way we are all one large team of humankind, living in the same world. Is it really beneficial for anyone to keep potential knowledge from others?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#26  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

you see this is the kind of crap that puts me in the "cap should have killed tony during civil war" moods 

you'd think afteer all the stupid s#%^ thats gone on in the past few years Tony would just stop hiding things and lying, who cares if the illuminati was formed before steve became  top cop, tony still could have told him, i mean wtf is he worried about, not looking cool in front of his friends? too f#&$^%@  late for that pal!!! was it that he was trying the keep a secret to protect the world? hello!!!!! their the goddamn Avengers, if the world is imperiled, their gonna save it 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JonesDeini
    @jubeiyagyux said:

" Steve rogers is a douche! Expecting everyone to suck up to him just because he is top cop now is a no-no.The Illuminati were formed before he was top and automatically he expects them to tell him about the Infinity gems? and he expects after this is all over to "put them back where we found them"? really Steve? really?  "

Tony should've told him this... 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Midnight Monk said:
    " Steve is like a great big fart in a small room, which is why I find his authority laughable. His entire "plan" is a joke beyond all words.  Commander Steve Rogers believes afew appointed individual can take over the work done by entire organizations like HAMMER & SHIELD but in hindsight. His Secret Avengers only show up when he needs them for mission and their hardly Secret since they've been showing up everyone in plain sight. Regular Avengers are too busy in other dimensions to worry about street crime and  New Avengers spend more time chilling in the mansion than on actual mission since more than half of them have other more important responsibilities. How he is in charge of anything is just a sad misleading thought and I'd prefer a cop-out at this point rather than having to deal with anymore of his "Capes in charge" crap.   Nick Fury's SHIELD corrupt as it was got the job done for decades, Tony Stark SHIELD had a sound and almost perfect plan but was only ruined because of aliens. Norman Osborn's HAMMER was corrupt as all hell but the man got the job done like never before because for one he actually had the Punisher killed someone the others failed to do. But Steve Rogers...a man out of time with a piss poor plan doomed to fail "
    Sha-Pow!!! Much as I love Steve, he in now way shape or form should be "running the show" 
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29  Edited By Decept-O

Hard call on that one.  Some people have to keep secrets because of fear of being judged for who they are or what they may have done in the past.  No one's perfect.  Look at Winter Soldier's past and now Bucky Barnes faced consequences for it.    

Yet, when you are on a team with individuals who could potentially move planets or destroy the universe, you'd like to know as much info as you could about each other.   

It is called trust.   Hard thing to have these days.

Avatar image for infinityomelette
    InfinityOmelette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By InfinityOmelette

The Illuminati is a group of inflated egos.

Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Midnight Monk
    @JonesDeini: 

It had to be said, should've made a blog about it now that I think about it...meh
    Midnight Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Midnight Monk
    @InfinityOmelette: 

Inflated egos yea but they did have good intentions and each of them did hold keys position in the Mrvel U when the group was originally formed so it's only naturally they'd work together. If it weren't for that screw up on the Hulk situation they would have been just fine
    A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33  Edited By A-Strondinaire

No teams should never have secrets it creates mistrust and breaks down all credbility and some respect for each other leaving team morale at all time lows. look at the X-Men although no one has stepped up and said "Hey Summers what your doing is wrong you are not helping our cause of being free of discrimination" like they've threaten him with during this whole debacle of events. Now outside Marvel teams will think twice about teaming up with Scott or any X-Men for that matter without either bringing it up or mistrusting him (I.E Captain America's dossier on the X-Men). On the other side of the tracks some secrets are best kept hidden Catwoman comes to mind she's hiding the biggest Gotham secret of them all and is catching hell for, and it doesn't help that Ivy and Harley are fighting to protect her even when they're left in the dark (It's like if Lois Lane asked Luthor to save Clark Kent in a train full of Kryptonite)

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By zombietag

haha that issue had so much drama, but its good 

@MichaelSimpson said:

"

Comics these days are just utter bullcrap!    

"
    i think you are on the wrong website dude. comicvines for people who LIKE comics
    Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Peter_Cosmic

I think characters are more interesting when they keep secrets. Now that Spidey's a member of the Avengers and has less of a secretive loner persona I don't really care about him that much and he was my favorite character since I was 5.

jubeiyagyuX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jubeiyagyuX
    @JonesDeini said:
    " @jubeiyagyux said:

" Steve rogers is a douche! Expecting everyone to suck up to him just because he is top cop now is a no-no.The Illuminati were formed before he was top and automatically he expects them to tell him about the Infinity gems? and he expects after this is all over to "put them back where we found them"? really Steve? really?  "

Tony should've told him this... 

"
    lmao!!!!!!!! 

@Midnight Monk said:
    " Steve is like a great big fart in a small room, which is why I find his authority laughable. His entire "plan" is a joke beyond all words.  Commander Steve Rogers believes afew appointed individual can take over the work done by entire organizations like HAMMER & SHIELD but in hindsight. His Secret Avengers only show up when he needs them for mission and their hardly Secret since they've been showing up everyone in plain sight. Regular Avengers are too busy in other dimensions to worry about street crime and  New Avengers spend more time chilling in the mansion than on actual mission since more than half of them have other more important responsibilities. How he is in charge of anything is just a sad misleading thought and I'd prefer a cop-out at this point rather than having to deal with anymore of his "Capes in charge" crap.   Nick Fury's SHIELD corrupt as it was got the job done for decades, Tony Stark SHIELD had a sound and almost perfect plan but was only ruined because of aliens. Norman Osborn's HAMMER was corrupt as all hell but the man got the job done like never before because for one he actually had the Punisher killed someone the others failed to do. But Steve Rogers...a man out of time with a piss poor plan doomed to fail "
    QFT!!  
    The problem with Steve is that he sees the world as Black and White while other clearly smarter people see it in the shades of grey it really is.Steve ,though a great soldier  is totally useless as a leader.Why would anyone in his right senses be pissed that something that could destroy existence as we know it is divided amongst people he knows has the security of the world at heart for safekeeping? They clearly can't destroy it or get rid of it.What would stop a despot/power hungry maniac like say Doom or Nemo from claiming the gems if they were all in one place? It would be like stealing cookies from girlscouts!! 
    Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Walker696

to me a secret is another word for weakness, because in the end, almost any secret somebody has, they have to guard it due to someone using it against them. if nothing else it breed mistrust among heroes and can cause bombs to go off like the Scarlet Witch situation (it was global genocide for a whole race of people). To many issues arise with to many secrets and until the heroes find a nice balance they will always have drama like they do. guess that's part of being a hero too, knowing when to share and when to seal away something...................for instance what if Tony had a fatal STD, you know how many women in Marvel (men indirectly) would be affected,  where as say Wolverine didn't vote like 30 yrs ago. two very different secrets but one with big consequences and the other no one would care about......gotta draw a line somewhere

Avatar image for infinityomelette
    InfinityOmelette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By InfinityOmelette
    @Midnight Monk: You're right Midnight... The Hulk blast off was uncalled for. :)
    lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By lorex

I think Steve is right to be upset but he should have some perspective now that he is the head of the large intelligence organization, about the need to know. I think he should begin to realize there is not enough time in a day to  for him be involved in every incident and he need to be more of a director and less of an operative.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#40  Edited By HaloKing343

I think secrets are needed for security. Just look at government. You wouldn't want all the CIA secrets out there for anybody to have. We'd be so voulnerable.
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

no they shouldn't keep secrets.  its too dangerous for their teammates when they are in life and death situations.  also, its a problem since they could easily get possessed or brainwashed and their friends need to fix them.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Theodore

I LOVED that issue of Avengers.

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By dewboy01

What good is there to trust, if you don't have the heart to see or feel it all for yourself and others? 
    Keeping secrets is one thing, but it won't last forever, cause God knows you a lot and always. 
    How can you not trust people? Does that include God, even if your an atheist? 
    I trust heroe's responsibilities. Batman always trusts Gordon and alfred, I mean if anything happens to them both, who can he trust? God? Is Batman an atheist? What I've just said to you all is that I'm only making a point. Either you accept to be part of the Circle of Trust or your not.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JonesDeini

Eh I maintain my position that some things some people need to know, some things they don't. As the "big cop" Steve should understand that now, but no, because he punched Hitler he has to be kowtowed to? And people say the Illuminati have ego issues? Sure I won't argue with that. But it's a two way street people. 

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

Some secrets are obviously bigger than the person keeping it and the people trying to find out. When a secret is revealed, the people who weren't in on it usually become brash and confrontational, but why? A true teammate and comrade would realize that most of the time secrets are kept for very good reason, and it's not personal. Secrets are necessary. Being nosy and pretentious is not

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By leokearon

Well the  Illuminati    were rubbish at their job, all they did was make things worst.  

I  think heroes should be allowed to keep their identities secret if they wanted to, the Avenger Charater even mentions that no-one has to reveal their identity if they don't want to. Of course the reason Spidey isn't revealing his identity to Victoria is because he doesn't trust her.
    ladydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ladydeath

I think everyone including any hero is entitled to some secrets.  It is up to the hero to tell them to his/her team members.
    rphailey98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By rphailey98
    @Tem-Tem said:
    "I think its okay the have secrets. Some things would cause more harm than good if they got out as are proved every single time they do get out.  People argue that its impossible to trust someone who is keeping secrets but actions speak so much louder than words.  If someone has had your back, almost lay down their life for you, gone into battle beside you, day after day after day who really cares that they used to sleep with a person who is now your enemy?  You've trusted them to be there in the past, when you didn't know their secret and they always have been, so why does everyone always seem to leap to the conclusion that just because that person has a secert they arent going to be there anymore when they have been there every single time in the past.  People in comics need to judge people by what they do, not what they say and get over themselves. No one is entitled to know everything about everyone else. Ever.
                "

I whole-heartedly agree.
    dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By dr.x

questoin Tony  aka G-man I have notice alot of  Marvel refrance, nothing of  DC or Dynamite ect...(so what's up with that) , I just find it kind of odd , but for "  Should Hero Teams Have Secrets?" the  anwser is yes cos it's like the old saying "too many cook spoils the soup" .... and It's a need to know baises not everyone need to know .

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NightFang3
    @comicbikerscott said:
    " it makes the books interesting "
    All that needs too be said.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.